Where do you hang your clothes to dry in the winter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how everyone is drying their cloths this winter if you don't have (or don't use) a dryer? My Mum said to hang them in the basement (where my washer is) but I am afraid it would be too damp, thoughts? I have a very little house, DH isn't too jazzed about the idea of hanging them up right in the middle of the living room!

Thanks.

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM

In the winter I find stuff dries really quickly wherever I hang it. If you put the racks in the living room before you went to bed would they be dry by the morning? Or in the bedroom right after you wake up, will they be dry by night?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I usually have a small rack in the bedroom at night because thats the only room we have a heater on at night and gets them really dry. I put it elsewhere in the day so its out of the way. We dont usually have heaters on in the day except on very cold days- but Im in Australia so probably nothing like your winters
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM

I have a winter clothes drying problem.

My basement is to damp and cold to dry things.

Things take days to dry out side on the line and often have to be finished in the dryer when I finally decide they are "done".

Things dry in front of the fire in the living room but the room is small only 10' x 12' so my 2' x 5' drying rack takes up a lot of room and it's the room you see first when entering the house. I do usually end up drying things this way though because they dry pretty fast.

I can't wait until we get the wood stove for the basement then I will be able to dry down there.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Well I have a drying rack in my laundry room, which is in the basement. I've never had any issues.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM

I have a clothesline in my basement laundry room. But I only completely air dry a few things - mostly I use the dryer to dry them to damp then hang.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM

-
Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 PM
LZP

I have 2 coated wooden drying racks that I set up in a corner of our spare bedroom when needed. Once baby comes, this will not be a "spare" room anymore! I think then the racks will be in our bedroom, or in baby's room until/if he's over co-sleeping. In winter, things do dry pretty quickly due to the dry air in the house. (we keep our heat at around 64-65 when we're home, 60 at night) Maybe I'll be forced to put clothes away more often then, bc now, things stay on the rack until I wear the clothes, or I need to hang up more wet laundry!

I also hang things that go on hangers right away. they dry on the hanger, and then go right in the closet- these get perched on corners of the drying racks, or on door handles, closet doors, etc in the spare room, and in the basement if I'm desperate. (our basement always smells a bit damp...)

I think PPs have a good idea about drying overnight in a common space if possible.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Everyone in my house has been complaining that it's too dry at night. So I bought a drying rack for each bedroom, and put them near the heater. Humidity and clothes drying problem solved.

signature currently in transition
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM

I hang mine outside unless it is really snowing hard. I just love the way they smell being outside. Somedays it does not seem they got that dry out there. When the clothes are cold it is hard to tell if they are dry or not. Then I bring them in and they hang in our bedroom near the heater.

likeLZP I hang shirts and girls dresses and stuff on hangers, then when they are dry right to the closet.

Kathryn
Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Our washer is in the same room as the furnace which works out great. I hang the clothes one day, go back the next morning and they are dry.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM

I have an extra, empty bedroom upstairs where I keep the heat at 10C (50F), the door closed and a draftstopper in front of the door. All the heaters upstairs are kept quite low.) Would the clothes dry well in there? And would I have crazy moisture issues? The room will be gutted this summer to insulate so minor dampness wouldn't be a huge problem.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
I have an extra, empty bedroom upstairs where I keep the heat at 10C (50F), the door closed and a draftstopper in front of the door. All the heaters upstairs are kept quite low.) Would the clothes dry well in there? And would I have crazy moisture issues? The room will be gutted this summer to insulate so minor dampness wouldn't be a huge problem.
In my experiences, the best places to hang clothes to dry are ones where there is good airflow. The room you described would not be a place I would personally air-dry laundry.

We set up a wood rack in our master bedroom for the small things and use our retractable line in the backyard for large items. Items that get hung up anyway are dried on hangers and in place. We live in a relatively dry climate, though, so moisture is mostly a good thing here. Winter months (on the calendar) are our dampest months and I have found drying clothes in the closet is not the best idea unless it is just 1-2 items spread out. We don't have a working furnace this winter, so there is no offsetting dryness like there usually is here at least a little. We don't use the heat much anyway, but it generally would come on 3-4 mornings a week in the wee hours. Having damp clothes/linens drying in our bedrooms then was nice. Now, however, we line-dry during the day whenever possible since the natural dampness is lowest then.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM

I put clothes and diapers on hangers, wet, and hang them from the shower rod.
The heating vent in our bathroom is in the ceiling, directly above the shower, so things dry in 2-3 hours this way.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM

we have forced air heat, so I put the drying rack in either our bedroom or one of the kids' bedrooms - they dry quickly, and it adds a bit of much-needed moisture to the room!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 PM

I hang-dry our clothes in our unfinished basement in the winter, and I have no problems with the extra moisture. It's so darn dry in winter that it actually helps. It takes most things about 18-24 hours to dry. Jeans take longer.

Here's an odd little tip - your lips have more sensitive nerve endings than your fingers. If you can't tell if your laundry is wet or just cold, touch it to your lips. You'll be able to tell.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 PM

I do it on wooden racks in our basement, but our basement is quite dry and fairly warm, too.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

User Tag List