It's a Decluttering Party!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 02-28-2004, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come out and play!

In honor of the lovely Miss Tracy Trabot's post in the treasure map thread.

She reminds us that the end of pisces is the end of the astrolgogical cycle and a great time to "purge". Tis why the urge to "spring clean" comes around now.

That said let's have another decluttering thread!!!

I got rid of a few bags of stuff last week, an old and non-baby friendly glass table. I have two bags of toys,baby stuff to go (waiting on hearing from cat_astrophe 'bout that).

I also posted this here to send off some of my stuff free for shipping.

I love decluttering. File cabinets tomorrow!!!
#2 of 74 Old 02-28-2004, 03:15 AM

Yee-Haw...I have been super busy spring cleaning. I finally got rid of the most comfy recliner in the world, I have had it far too long. 5 or 6 bags of dd's clothes, toys and outgrown books to a mama in need...Now my bedroom is next...if i could only find the floor:
#3 of 74 Old 02-28-2004, 05:40 AM

We're moving this week, so I have been getting rid of any and everfything I can. I've been making weekly run to donate for the last month or so. Tonight I packed up my packrat son's room. I had a whole large yard size garbage bag full of just trash It feels so good!
#4 of 74 Old 02-28-2004, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

GONE!!

GOOD-BYE!!!

bad paper work bad bad bad!!!

1 big bag of shredded paperwork out the door.

YEAH ME!
#5 of 74 Old 02-28-2004, 03:09 PM

:d
#6 of 74 Old 02-29-2004, 03:04 AM

Went through my jewlery and got rid of a few necklaces. I have been pretty good about decluttering, so I don't have lots of stuff any more. I am getting a fairly good sized "give away" pile in the garage though.

I pulled out my "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" audiobook and got inspired.

Gonna go take some photos for stuff I'm ebaying.

thistle
#7 of 74 Old 03-02-2004, 02:41 PM

What a good idea. I have been steadily clearing out some clothes...books...toys and odds and ends.

Want to hear the most absurd thing I found in a drawer I was cleaning? I found a round red container holding buttons, still in plastic, from long ago sweaters...the red container looked familiar. It was my old RETAINER case.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#8 of 74 Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mom4Tot you have me LOL!! Can you believe the things we keep! We're moving this year so I'm definately read to clean out stuff.
I'll start tomorrow with my desk. I know there's years of paperwork in there that I absolutely don't need. It's embarassing!
Seems like there's a lot of emphasis out there on cleaning out and simplifying. I love it!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#9 of 74 Old 04-11-2004, 08:56 PM

and the boys are still decluttering their toyboxes
#10 of 74 Old 04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

It's like a weight you didn't know was there was lifted, so nice and light and approprate to the spring season.

db
#11 of 74 Old 04-12-2004, 01:49 PM

We got rid of the last of the baby toys this weekend! I decluttered my books once, need another going through.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#12 of 74 Old 04-12-2004, 01:51 PM

I love this! I'm already clearing things out and I love it! I've decided to get rid of 3 trash bag full of junk this week and a box for goodwill. With all the stuff around here, that will be EASY!:LOL
Good luck all!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#13 of 74 Old 04-16-2004, 09:47 PM

can i join? i am feeling overwhelmed, but inspired. i really, really need to do this.
not sure where to start though.
#14 of 74 Old 04-16-2004, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mamaley,
My recommendation is to start with a single area. Perhaps even a single drawer. Clean it out, declutter it and organize it. Just a single thing like that can make you motivated enough to do more! Good luck - it really is a great thing to do!

Best,
Justine
#15 of 74 Old 04-17-2004, 03:14 PM

i just filled up one bag of trash and another bag of giveaways in our bedroom. it still doesn't look perfect but so much better. i've got to go out today till this evening, and then i'm going to sort through our clothes. tomorrow i plan to do more sorting through clothes and work on the kids' bedrooms. i'm not sure when i'll have a chance to get to the bathroom, living room and kitchens--not lots of clutter in these places, but they need to be cleaned!
i'm on my way though!
i've also been reading the feng shui thread, and it's providing me with lots of inspiration too.
#16 of 74 Old 04-17-2004, 03:18 PM

I have been cleaning out closets and getting rid of old clothes, clothes I hate, clothes I don't wear...
#17 of 74 Old 04-17-2004, 10:12 PM

I'm bringing about 15 magazines to the library tomorrow for their free bin and DH and I started cleaning out the garage. I can't believe how many cheap planters were hanging around out there!
#18 of 74 Old 04-17-2004, 10:54 PM

This is the thread for me!

Last week I went through all of the toys. Two giant rubbermaid containers full of them went to a LLL yardsale, one giant trashbag went into the dumpster, the rest have been organized and put in the right places...not that they'll stay there.:LOL

Next I hit the clothes. All of the clothes my littlest has outgrown were sorted into keep and donate piles. Winter clothes have been put away, sorted by size to find them easily next winter, and spring/summer clothes have been put into the dressers.

I even went through my clothes and put together a bag full to donate.

Vacuumed two mattresses today and will do two more tomorrow. Went through my office paperwork, made some new files for the file cabinet and threw away lots of papers. Then pulled out all of my craft stuffed and reorganized it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get by a store that has drawer organizers because my bathroom doors are in desperate need of organizing!

I feel SO much better with what I managed to get done, but now I want to do every single drawer and cabinet in the house! If I could manage to ship my family off for a week maybe I could get it all done.
#19 of 74 Old 04-18-2004, 12:49 PM

Fianna-
You are ON FIRE! You're so inspiring to me! I can't believe how much you've accomplished! That's great!!

I declutter what I'd set out to declutter this week-3trash bags and 1 box out of the house! Hurray!

Next week I'm going to take on 3-4boxes in our basement. That stuff has been down there almost a year since we moved in! Isn't that silly! I'd hate to move all that stuff yet again!

Good luck to everyone else on the decluttering bandwagon!

Chrissy

#20 of 74 Old 04-18-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Hopefully tomorrow I can get by a store that has drawer organizers because my bathroom doors are in desperate need of organizing!

You know things are in desperate need of organizing when your DOORS needs organizers:LOL :

We are going to be cleaning and hopefully tossing a bit today, we moving in 15 days
#21 of 74 Old 04-18-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by momto l&a
You know things are in desperate need of organizing when your DOORS needs organizers:LOL :

:LOL :LOL :LOL

Actually, my doors in my bathroom and my laundry room DO need organizing...now that IS bad! Too much stuff hanging off of door handles and those little stick on hooks that never stay up for long. Plus my homemade shoe organizer hanging in the laundry room keeps falling apart...grrr.

Note to self: Do not go shopping for organizer/cleaner stuff when in spring cleaning mode!

I spent WAY too much money on organizers for closets, drawers, the hallway and the laundry room. But darned if I'm not going to feel SO good when I get it all done. Even bought a magazine rack and some candles for the guest bedroom for MIL's visit in a couple of weeks.

Chrissy, if you had seen what I had started from you wouldn't be nearly so impressed. Actually, I've been needing to get my physical environment straightened up for awhile. The other "adult" : in my house is a total slob and does literally nothing to help out in the house. My wobbly marriage along with my cluttered house really had me spiralling toward depression again. I feel SO much better when my house is not cluttered. I can walk into a clean room now and immediately fell so much better. I'm like those Febreeze commercials where the people keep coming in and out of a room just to experience the clean smell over and over again!:LOL
#22 of 74 Old 04-18-2004, 06:22 PM

I have bags and bags waiting to be taken to goodwill sitting in my hall for the last 4 weeks... someone give me a push, so I can get these bags out of here!
#23 of 74 Old 04-19-2004, 10:15 AM

Windy-
I've got several bags sitting by my door for donation:LOL

You pick a day this week to drop them off, and I'll get out there and drop mine off too. So, you'll be helping both of us by actually getting out there!!

GO DO IT, NOW!!

Chirssy

#24 of 74 Old 04-21-2004, 03:12 PM

I think this thread will do me some good. For the last two weeks I've been de-cluttering off and on. It's a bit challenging though...my 14 month old loves to "help". I've really been trying to organize our walk-in closet...it seems to be one of the main places we stash stuff we don't want to deal with to organize "later". You know, company is coming over and we need to get stuff out of the way...put it in the closet. :LOL

Jakob keeps undoing what I do as I do it...I file some stuff...and he finds my "to file" pile and spreads it all over the closet. Yesterday morning he woke up before I did and got into the closet and dumped some of my files out. I need to fix the closet door so I can close it (I'll have to move my fold up ironing board to a different door).

Well, ds is asleep now. Maybe I should attempt the closet while I can. It will feel great to just get the closet done today. Then I can move on the the various piles of paper strewn on various surfaces and in baskets around the house.

#25 of 74 Old 04-21-2004, 03:24 PM

Boy, Worldshakerz, can I relate! My youngest loves to "help" too, which usually results in my giving up my organizing attempts in a huff. I had the exact same thing happen with the file organizing last week. Anna decided that my "to file" pile needed to be resorted and moved to various locations.

And my closet ends up the "catch all" room too. Right now the new vacuum attachments and the containers of things to go in the attic are in there. I have to climb over all sorts of things to get to my clothes!

I did manage to get stuff dropped off at Goodwill this morning...there was a drop box right beside the natural foods store..what luck!

And I did some work on the girls' closet last night (my attempt at making insomnia productive time :LOL ).

What's everyone else gotten done during the last few days? What are your decluttering/cleaning goals for the week?
#26 of 74 Old 04-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Chirssy

I made it to the truck with the bags! But I have yet to make it to Goodwill!
#27 of 74 Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM

Windy-
YOu're making progress!
I'm dropping my boxes off tomorrow.
I have guest coming into town this weekend
so I thought I'd better clean up the place.
When are you dropping off your stuff????
Chrissy

#28 of 74 Old 04-22-2004, 12:49 PM

Maybe today!

Send me lots of 'Take the stuff to Goodwill vibes!"

#29 of 74 Old 04-23-2004, 05:14 PM

Windy-
YOU CAN DO IT!!
I didn't want to drop myself off today.
I'm so busy with people coming in.
But, I thought about y'all and
I dropped off 2 boxes and a bag at goodwill this morning.

So, Windy, GET OUT THERE AND DO IT
I'm sending you lots of goodwill energy

Chrissy

#30 of 74 Old 04-25-2004, 12:17 AM

I did it!!!! I dropped off 6 bags of old clothes to the goodwill!

Yay for me!!!

That's so good Chrissy, congrats! We did it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page