EXTREME minimalism for clothes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yea...i have to dress up for school/work and i for winter, i have 4 skirts and 4 sweaters, 3 shirts and 2 pairs of shoes. i make it last all week and do laundry on the weekends. i wouldn't want to go less though. its good for me.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#32 of 57 Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
for the brief time that i worked as a lawyer, i had three skirts and two shirts and one jacket that i wore in various formations with different jewelry, shoes, and scarves to change the look. so, it can go down below five outfits. DH was down to three pants and 4 shirts.
i can totally see that, if you mix and match stuff, and hey, a black skirt mixed with different color tops might as well be different outfits, who's to say they aren't different black skirts, right?
I wear mostly dresses though, so it's pretty noticeable that they are either the same or different ,lol. I used to mix and match a few shirts with like 2 skirts though.

CPST
#33 of 57 Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 PM

I had 2 kids, gave away all of my maternity clothes, then decided to have one more baby. I sewed 2 pairs of black maternity pants and one blouse, then added a couple of t-shirts. I decided that everything had to be in shades of blue or black so that everything went together, and that made it much easier to only have 5 of 6 items in my wardrobe.

Right now, I'm a SAHM so I have 2 pairs of jeans, 4 tshirts (which double as pj tops), and 2 yoga pants for exercising that double as pj pants. I have 2 blouses and one pair of black dress pants for weddings, funerals or parties that my husband's company hosts. One pair of runners and a pair of comfortable heels completes my wardrobe .

The one thing I can't get over is that I have to have lots and lots of clean underwear and socks. I just have to...not sure why .

I have 3 kids! : Lookit them go!!!
#34 of 57 Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

heh re: dresses. i would totally notice and be really snobby about it like--she always wears the same dress!!!! lol

that's really a matter of style, yo know? if one has a prference for dresses, then yeah, you need it.

i only own two dresses--the LBD and then one that i just couldn't pass up i love it so much. it's green.
#35 of 57 Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM

i love the brown dress and was just thinking of that website. ever since i found it i have been dreaming about doing it myself. if i could only find a dress that looks good on my oddly portioned body. LOVE it.
op- your not extreme. go for it.
#36 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 AM

I love capsule wardrobes, but for me going that low would be inconvenient. I don't want to do laundry every day, and couldn't even fill the machine every day, not even close. There is three of us. I like to do laundry once or twice a week at most. But 4-5 pairs of pants (including lounge pants) and 10 tops/tunics and a couple of cardigans works for me. For summer I add a few tank tops, cropped pants and a spaghetti strap jumpsuit I like:)

I keep my colors restricted to black, shades of blue and purple, and some red. I mostly only wear things with stretch. I love cotton-linen mix jersey!! I currently have one pair of jeans, one pair of corduroy pants and one pair of skinny black pants. The black pants have holes in them and need to be replaced though... I NEVER get anything requiring dry cleaning! I also never iron anything.

About 10 pairs of panties and 4-5 bras is a good amount for me.

I have five pairs of shoes, but only because I live in extreme four season climate! This includes my party heels, my summer sandals, gore-tex walking shoes, and a pair of knee high boots and a pair of ankle boots. I could probably use a pair of nicer walking shoes but meh... I can also do without. I just don't want to go over five pairs, so I'd have to get rid of some other pair! The party heels get used the least, but I do need them occasionally and it would be stupid to have to go buy new ones, and I do like the ones I have as they are quite comfy and look really cool. The knee high boots are probably my first candidate to go.....

#37 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 05:06 AM

I definitely wouldn't want to do that. But if you want to, more power to you. 

I've lost a considerable amount of weight in the past year, and I now have almost nothing that fits. And I really do mean that. It's not just an issue of stuff looking bad(which it does, really). But it's so big on me that it doesn't stay up and I spend the day holding my pants up. It's a tiny bit ridiculous. lol. So, for my birthday, DH got me some clothes. I now have one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, a dress, and a couple of shirts that actually "fit." And so I've been basically recycling those couple of clothing items, and lemme tell ya, it gets old fast. But I'm also at a point now where I'm enjoying clothing because I feel good in it. So.... That's a factor as well. 

In an ideal world, I would have my version of a simple wardrobe. I do like patterns, so I feel like maybe I couldn't simplify down as much as someone who was ok with only wearing solid colors. And I also really like wearing dresses, so maybe I'd need more pieces than someone who liked separates? Hard to say. 

#38 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In terms of what I wear day to day, I have like 5 sweaters, two pairs of pants (one is jeans, one cords), and a handful of long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve shirts. I did that because I only want to have things I feel good in, but I can't see cutting back too much further because washing is hard on clothes and it could take me months to find a replacement piece at a price I'm willing to pay. I'd be upset if I got pushed into wearing something I didn't love, out of necessity.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#39 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM

I think as long as your clothes were very basic, neutral, versatile, flattering and flexible then you could totally get away with a very minimalist wardrobe and very few pieces.   I think you would have to stick to very basic, neutral, classic articles and honestly most people probably wouldn't even notice.   One black shirt looks basically the same as another.  However, I don't think you could get away with it, if you liked patterns or bright colors.  People would definitely notice if you wear the same hot pink and lime green shirt every day, but not if you wear the same fitted, classic,  black shirt, yk. 

I think the brown dress website is a great example of this.  Her brown dress was cute, flattering while still looking very basic and classic.  It was the type of dress which flatters the wearer and draws attention onto the person wearing it and away from the article of clothing itself.  Although...in fall/winter/spring it looks like her look/outfit changed quite a bit by adding sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, tights/leggins etc.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#40 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM

I think you could do it. Personally, I would want more than one outfit. Maybe three. Like a PP said, everything would have to be very basic and neutral.

Of course everyone's lifestyle and clothing needs are very different. And regional too. Around here, most people would not notice you wearing the same clothes over and over, as long as you were not wearing literally the exact same outfit every single day. You could get away with the same pants and different top two days in a row, or the same top with pants on this day and skirt the next. I recently visited a place where I can tell that people would notice and actually care.

I personally would feel satisfied with a minimum of outfits - I don't have any need to have new outfits to feel good. As long as my wardrobe was ok quality to begin with (and really, by ok quality I mean like, Old Navy - just not the Walmart crap that I seem to be stuck in myself).

I would also need some seasonal changes - not due to any fashion sense, but just practicality (weather). Though I live in a 4 season area, I might be able to get away with just 2 seasons of clothes though. I wear lots of layers, so winter layers can get stripped off in spring until I feel warm enough to reach for the summer clothes. And summer clothes can be layered with a winter layer in fall.

I would want some buffer for laundry in case I got behind, but if you consistently do laundry day after day, then you apparently have that settled.

I also second the travel thing. I just traveled and had access to washing facilities but I was sometimes too busy to wash (and was not really in control of my own schedule), and of course my parents also needed to wash things too. I wore the same 2 outfits every day for 11 days, not because I'm minimalist or that I even underpacked, but I just packed wrong (overestimated how warm I'd feel). Ah, but I did at least rotate the outfits so it wasn't literally the same two outfits, but I'd switch the pants and tops around.

#41 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM

I thought about this thread when I came across this blog post today. This woman has a 10 piece wardrobe (she doesn't inclue unmentionables and a couple other things but this is what she wears daily). I think it's pretty cool!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#42 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM

You know, if you wear mostly solids, and nothing too unique and memorable people aren't going to notice that you only have 2, or 3, or 5 shirts-especially if you draw their eyes to a pretty scarf, earrings, or neclace. And it does make things so much simpler :)  A little OT, but if you are sentimental about clothes and can't donate an old shirt, you can turn it into a reusable shopping bag! Just sew the bottom of the shirt closed, then cut off the sleeves if it has them and voila. Shopping bag!!

#43 of 57 Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM

I am pretty minimalist too. The exception is my scrubs for work. I have a week's worth because you never know when you are going to need to change. I have 3 pairs of jeans, 2 skirts, 1 shorts, 2 sweaters and 3 tshirts. I have 1 pair of sneakers and 1 pair of heels. The exception is underwear and socks...I seem to have tons of those. I really need to minimize them. I have downsized my clothes a few times already this year. On the plus side, all my clothes fit into a small duffel bag.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#44 of 57 Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 AM

See my big issue with this is you kind of need to wear solids -- if you wear a print, it's pretty obvious when you wear it again 2 days later. But my problem with solids is, they stain so easily -- grease marks, breastmilk stains, spitup stains, etc. Maybe I'm just prone to stains or something???

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#45 of 57 Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 AM

I love this idea! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#46 of 57 Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

See my big issue with this is you kind of need to wear solids -- if you wear a print, it's pretty obvious when you wear it again 2 days later. But my problem with solids is, they stain so easily -- grease marks, breastmilk stains, spitup stains, etc. Maybe I'm just prone to stains or something???

I don't think you are particularly prone to stains... there is absolutely no way I could make a short worn daily last unstained for more than a month. No way.

And even if you don't perceive the lifespan of your clothing to be shortened by daily detergent, water, agitation and drying... it is, in fact, shortened. 365 washings in a year will wear an item out faster than 100 washings in a year.

Minimalism is lovely- a better approach than multiple drawers and closets stuffed full of things hardly worn, for certain! But clothing (and other bodily adornments) can be something more than a bodily covering, and something less than being a slave to fashion and centering ones self worth in appearances, KWIM? For these reasons, I do not find the idea of 2 shirts only appealing at all.

Additionally... things happen. Fabric tears. Do you really want to be absolutely obligated to either start up a sewing project immediately, or leave your house and purchase another, immediately?

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#47 of 57 Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 AM

I love this idea, and I think it sounds perfect for you, since you're basically already there. :) I've pared my clothes down quite a few times already in the last six months or so (we're moving across the US in a week), and so I am very into my selection of clothing being as minimalist as possible as well. I have absolutely no judgements towards you or anyone else doing this, whether it be that the clothes should look or be any certain way to "make it work". It is completely up to the individual, obviously, and I keep the clothes that I love the most and fit me best. I don't care about whether they work together, or whether people would think there's something wrong with my hygiene. I have -never- noticed anyone wearing something often or not, and even if I did, I wouldn't care at all. If they were friends, family, acquaintances, whatever. I understand when one has to work and do certain jobs, or has a farm to run, or has many children (and on top of all or one of those jobs), for that matter, then it is completely different. But for a person like me who is a full-time momma and taking care of our home, I can wear what I want whenever, so this works very easily.

I don't know how many clothes I have, but it's something like 10 shirts of sorts, a few pants, 1 pair of jeans (jeans are never comfortable for me), a couple skirts and dresses, jackets, and sockies and underwears. :) I live in my Birkenstocks and patagonia butter-soft clogs (that's how they describe them and I've never forgotten it, ha), and have a pair of running shoes and my brown Docs. I'm all set. I really love wearing things out, too, and even when that happens I just sew them up a bit and they're fixed again. Old clothes get cut into patches or squares for quilts, or if it's shirts or dresses of mine, or dh shirt, I make it into clothes or dresses for dd. That's how it goes here, and it's fun and easy, and I have my favorite clothes to wear, always. 

quedal likes this.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#48 of 57 Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM

I honestly wouldn't want to do it but if it works for you great!

Right now I have that fits me: 1 knee length skirt (Its in the best condition and I use it for dinners out church on Sunday etc), 4 calf-ankle length skirts (1 I can only wear at home so useless if I plan on going out anywhere even to the park), 6 tops (2 are patterned and used only for church/nice outings etc), 10 sets undies, 2 bras for everyday, 1 workout bra, 3 workout outfits and 3 pairs PJs. Oh and shoes wise I have a pair of flip flops, pair of high heels, 2 pairs slip ons and a pair of tennis shoes to work out with. Im looking at expanding my wardrobe when we are finished moving. I might have a low tolerance for dirtiness but if I get muddy, floury from baking, smelling like cleaning solution (well vinegar, I dont' use commercial cleaners) I need to change. It would drive me NUTS not to. If I leak through my breastpads (which happens daily almost) I have to change my shirt or it would drive me nuts. Honestly Id like to add another 8 tops, 4 ankle length skirts (or 4 dresses), another nice outfit for going out, 4 more sets of undies, 2-3 more bras, 1 more workout bra and a robe.. That way I can go for 2 weeks, if I don't change during the day, without washing. Also, Ive notice since Im so short on clothing they are becoming threadbare really quickly. One of my skirts has a hole in it and the seams are starting to go because of repeated wearing/washing, another one the elastic is starting to get lose from being worn so much so it doesn't fit me well, my shirts that are lighter color are starting to get stains that don't come out from wearing to much. I know some people wouldn't mind the stains but they drive me nuts.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#49 of 57 Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 AM

I have a friend who is very minimalist.  She showed me her closet once and it was surprisingly empty.  She buys new things now and then but her style is very simple and new things blend right in.  I think she really does have a certain style and knows how to buy for her style and that makes it much easier.  Thinking about it she wears mostly solids as well.  

I personally would have a hard time with that few articles of clothing.  But I have a farm and can find myself in 2-3 outfits a day or more.  Barn clothes, riding clothes, house clothes, work clothes.  

#50 of 57 Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM

She says she does have more than this, that this is her ultimate capsule wardrobe, she doesn't actually live with ten pieces. But no doubt her clothing is super minimal nonetheless (love her blog and book btw!) 

I'll actually have to take note of how often I do laundry, so I will have something concrete to go by on how many pieces I need. I would think at least enough for a week, even if I do wash a load couple of times a week.. Because I'd rather have a couple of extra tops in my (pretty empty) closet than run out of a clean one to wear. Also we have no dryer so the laundry takes a day or so to dry. 

I think for a lot of people a 30 piece wardrobe would be extremely minimal.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

I thought about this thread when I came across this blog post today. This woman has a 10 piece wardrobe (she doesn't inclue unmentionables and a couple other things but this is what she wears daily). I think it's pretty cool!

#51 of 57 Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM

Yeah I don't think I could go as low as missminimalist but we are pretty minimalist in comparison to the general western public.  One of these days I've got to do a clothing inventory. I think dh and I have about 30 pieces each minus socks/undies. Same with dd, her entire wardrobe is contained in a hanging 4 cube sweater holder thing from ikea, plus a couple hanging things.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#52 of 57 Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 PM

I got a tip from Its All Too Much by Peter Walsh. I put all my clothes over to one side of my wardrobe, and only moved them back after I'd worn them once. After only a week or so it was obvious to me that I only actually like a very small portion of my clothes! I shop at thrift stores almost exclusively so its fairly easy to replace stuff if needed.

Right now I have three pairs of pants (one cargo, one jean and one cord) and three tops that I like. They are all inter-changable with each other and I expect these six items to get me through autumn and winter, with the help of a velvet jacket, some undershirts and a few different pairs of shoes.

When the weather warms up again I will re-evaluate, but I am hoping to do summer and spring with three skirts, three tops, a few cardies and some tights.

I have two pairs of PJs that I wear for winter, in summer I just wear a PJ top and knickers to bed.

I feel like I've done well decluttering my wardrobe, if only I could do so well with my sons'! Because I have three boys I want to save everything to be passed down.

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#53 of 57 Old 04-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post

You also need to consider the ... environmental impact of washing everything together every day.

? what is the environmental impact of washing everything together every day? is it just from washing *everything*? or is there something environmentally impacting about washing *together*?

#54 of 57 Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post

? what is the environmental impact of washing everything together every day? is it just from washing *everything*? or is there something environmentally impacting about washing *together*?

LOL, you are reading a misquote. I said "You also need to consider the extra wear on your clothes and environmental impact of washing everything together every day."

If you wash everything in the same load all the time your clothes will fade and your whites will become dingy. Things that need more delicate cycles, like bras and underpants will wear out faster or jeans won't be as clean as they could be. The environmental impact is at least a load everyday, whether it's a full one or not, and probably using the dryer, too, because I can't imagine everything drying overnight every day.

#55 of 57 Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Delicateflower, do you live sommewhere humid? All but the heaviest items will dry overnight in my laundry room; most of the year most things will dry within an hour if I hang them on my back patio.

Decluttering my wardrobe is on my to-do list. I'm postpartum and go back to work in a couple of weeks. I do not want to go back in maternity pants (I had just 1 pr for work and am SO sick of them, tho they were comfy). I'll post what I come up with.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#56 of 57 Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

All but the heaviest items will dry overnight in my laundry room; most of the year most things will dry within an hour if I hang them on my back patio.

Wow that would be handy!

Nothing would dry overnight here hanging in a room.....but it is very humid here where I live.

I never put any clothes in the dryer though...it wrecks them and using the dryer all the time is terrible for the environment, so we only dry towels in the dryer.

SAHM to three
#57 of 57 Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM

I came up with my idea of a minimalist wardrobe in January but haven't quite gotten to the point of implementing it. Funny thing is that right now I am actually working off an even smaller wardrobe since I got rid of most of the clothes that didn't fit or I didn't wear back in January and haven't replaced any of that...what that means is that I have a lot of stuff I wouldn't wear out of the house in my current small rotation...and I just have to make sure I have one of my two decent thrifted jeans and one of my three decent tops clean when I am actually going somewhere out of the house!! orngbiggrin.gif

This would be my ideal minimal wardrobe (I wouldn't want to go with a whole lot less than this since I DON'T wanna do laundry every day and I like at least a little variety). Once I actually have it in place I think I will actually feel decadent...since it'll be more clothes than what I'm working with now...and ALL be actually worn regularly.

*2-3 dressier tops
*5 lightweight tops that could be layered (in a longer length) in basic and fave colors
*5 tank tops that could be layered (in a longer length) in basic and fave colors
*5 casual sleeveless dresses that hit right at/above knee (not too full or too straight)
*2 dressier dresses (LBD and a fun print)
*1-2 cute knee length skirts
*1-2 long skirts
*1 pair black slacks
*2 pair bootcut medium wash jeans
*2 wraps (black and fun color)
*2 cardigans (black and fun color)
*1 black trench coat with removable liner
*3 pairs of modesty shorts (for wear under dresses)
*5 pinafore style aprons (to protect clothing while cleaning, cooking, feeding children)
*1 pair chunky boots and 1 pair chunky flips--for wearing with pants (since I'm short)
*1 pair ballet flats and 1 pair sandals--for wearing with dresses and skirts
*1 pair cheap flips--for showers and swimming
*1 pair dressy heels--for rare occasions
*3 bras
*7 pairs panties
*14 pairs socks (I'm funny about clean socks)
*3 sets of three-piece pajamas (top, bottom, cami)

Plus realized that I should also have:
*1 pair good athletic shoes
*2 sets workout wear

So yeah...not super minimal....but WAY more doable for a realistic wardrobe...IF everything fit right and actually got used in the rotation. Even if you count up EVERYTHING from my list you are talking 81 total items...and that includes underwear, shoes, socks, pajamas, and even workout clothes and aprons!! Once I actually have all of that in my closet, I will be able to see if there's stuff even in that list that ends up not getting worn...and then be able to minimize it even more.

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page