2010 Moving Support Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 184 Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started packing things up in our kitchen that we don't use much and ran into a dilemma. I am a bit of an indecisive/perfectionist type person. I was tempted to sit and make sure all of the tuperware lids had matching containers, but called a friend and had her help talk me into just packing them all for now. I could seriously waste so much time on small particulars, but I don't really have the time. The only thing that I'm really sorting are clothes. I have different places to donate clothes and I am saving some of them for consignment. And I have spent a decent amount of time on that already. Anyway, is it terrible to just start packing away things without thinking about it too much? We hope to have our house up for sale next week and some serious decluttering needs to be done. I have a whole pile of things to give away or sell, but there are still a lot of things that I could either pack quickly or spend a long time sorting.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#92 of 184 Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Me again. Does anyone know a formula for calculating possible monthly payments on a house? I can do the math for the most part but I'm not sure how to factor in the percentage rate (i.e. 4.99% on 30 year loan).

#93 of 184 Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

marieangela, try here http://www.mortgageloan.com/calculator/

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#94 of 184 Old 05-10-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
So how is everyone doing?

We started some repairs this morning and we picked paint colors. The painter is starting tomorrow, which is exciting. I really dislike the colors we have now and I love the new colors. (I know, I know, we're leaving. But still...nobody should have to live with those colors.) And we removed this really big ugly mirror that was glued to the wall, so that's good.

Lots of stuff going on here, but mostly other people working on the house. My main focus is packing up the rest of the stuff, so I guess I'm working on the contents and others are working on the shell.
#95 of 184 Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
So how is everyone doing?
We had our inspection and the buyer wanted a leak in the shower fixed and some drywall patched up so my DH has been working on that. I've been spending my time looking for a place to move INTO. And that's about it here right now. Waiting on the appraisal this week. Haven't really started packing yet, though I have some lists and a plan all worked out (I'm anal like that).

#96 of 184 Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

That's great that you only had those things to fix after the inspection. We have an old house (102 years) and I'm expecting more to fix. The inspector is coming next Wednesday so fingers crossed.

Do you have a lot of packing to do? Or is it relatively light?

#97 of 184 Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM

I so need this thread right now.

For the past couple of years I've been bugging dh to move someone warmer with acreage so we can homestead, with the eventual intention of making an income from it.

Dh was never on board with this until a couple of weeks ago. So now he's finishing off some minor renos and we'll be putting the house up for sale in about a month. The market is super hot right now so it's expected that our house will be sold within a week or so of putting it up. We got rid of a ton of junk on the weekend (yard sale).

I am pregnant and due in August. We have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old.

I'm only 90% sure we will actually go through with this. We would be moving to a different province (3000km away) and at the very least need to have a job set up before we leave. The problem is the locations with cheap acreages/decent houses are where there are no jobs.

On the plus side, if we sell, we will be able to pay off all our debt (mortgage plus 30k in car loan/credit cards) as well as have enough savings to give us a year of income. So we could move and he could find a job later but I'd rather not.

The other issue of course is the pregnancy. I'm planning a homebirth (after a c-section and a vbac) with a midwife, and this option will not be available to me when we move. I'll likely have to drive an hour to the hospital and birth with an ob.

Ideally a house and a job will come up that it suitable and in close proximity to each other all will be well. At the moment I'm scared that's not going to happen and now I really want to leave this place, I've never felt right anywhere I've lived and this move seems so right to me. I feel like I'm in limbo until a permanent decision is made.

I'm frazzled.
#98 of 184 Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, limette, that's a lot going on.

I don't have much advice except to say that it sounds like one way or the other it's all going to come together.

I don't know if you believe in astrology (I kinda do) but it's been mercury retrograde, which can slow things down and make it hard to make decisions. Merc retrograde is over today so hopefully you'll be able to get more info and make some decisions.

Is homebirth with a midwife not allowed in your new province, or are you worried you won't find someone?
#99 of 184 Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
That's great that you only had those things to fix after the inspection. We have an old house (102 years) and I'm expecting more to fix. The inspector is coming next Wednesday so fingers crossed.

Do you have a lot of packing to do? Or is it relatively light?

I think I got rid of about a third to a half of our stuff in order to get our house decluttered for selling. So it shouldn't be too bad. I packed my first box yesterday - all our decoratives. Walls are a little bare.

It's funny how toddlers have no sense of time...I wonder what on earth DS must be thinking. We've told him about the move, and yesterday when I was packing that box he must have been thinking "this is it" because he was asking whether DH was coming with us! (He was at work at the time.) I tried to explain how I was going to be packing for the next several WEEKS but of course I don't think he really understood. It must be hard for the little ones. As much as I can't wait to leave this house, I feel a little sad when I realize that DS might only very vaguely remember it or not at all, and it is the only house he's ever known!

limette, good luck! I hope things work out perfectly.

#100 of 184 Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, limette, that's a lot going on.

I don't have much advice except to say that it sounds like one way or the other it's all going to come together.

I don't know if you believe in astrology (I kinda do) but it's been mercury retrograde, which can slow things down and make it hard to make decisions. Merc retrograde is over today so hopefully you'll be able to get more info and make some decisions.

Is homebirth with a midwife not allowed in your new province, or are you worried you won't find someone?
They just regulated it, so government only hired about 5 practicing midwives for the whole province (down from many more, previously) and there's a waiting list to get on. There's no way I'm going to get a midwife at 8 months pregnant. Most of them only practice in a select area, so if I'm not in that area, I wouldn't make the list anyway.

I'd prefer to wait until after the birth, but we want to get the house sold while the market is good and I doubt traveling with a newborn is going to be much fun.

Things always work out in the end for us, but in the meantime I'm stressing out!
#101 of 184 Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
It's funny how toddlers have no sense of time...I wonder what on earth DS must be thinking. We've told him about the move, and yesterday when I was packing that box he must have been thinking "this is it" because he was asking whether DH was coming with us! (He was at work at the time.) I tried to explain how I was going to be packing for the next several WEEKS but of course I don't think he really understood. It must be hard for the little ones. As much as I can't wait to leave this house, I feel a little sad when I realize that DS might only very vaguely remember it or not at all, and it is the only house he's ever known!
Cute story! My DS has some idea of what's happening but even at 6 he doesn't get the timeline very well. I know what you mean about being sad; I keep thinking of how my daughter was born in this house....
#102 of 184 Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM

My Dh was offered a new job yesterday. We live in MD and the new job is in WI...so we're moving!!!

I'm excited and scared and sad all at once. I can't get rid of this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. But I think that is because we still have to tell our kids and they are going to be, well, crushed. At least at first. They are young (5 and 3), so I know they'll do fine, but it's still hard. My entire family lives in MD, so they are very close to their cousins and grandparents, etc.

Anyway, I could barely sleep last night with the giant to-do list in my head. Getting the house ready for sale, buying a new one, packing, etc. UGGHHHH!!

I'm really excited to get a new house, though. Start fresh. We overextended ourselves when we bought our current house and it's been a huge source of stress. I can't wait to be rid of that stress. So we want to buy smaller and really focus on a walkable location.

I'll be checking this thread a lot!

#103 of 184 Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome berry987. And congrats on getting an opportunity to downsize and start fresh! Feels good, doesn't it?

Things here are humming along. For about the 10th time in 3 days people who are working on the house are here early. The electrician was 1.5 hours early this morning. It's like the universe is trying to get us out of here.

A lot of work is getting done. Today is the last day of painting, the electrician is working on stuff, the inspector is coming tomorrow...whew.

We are looking at putting the house on the market the Wednesday after Memorial Day.

How's everyone else?
#104 of 184 Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM

We had the roof done yesterday, so there's not much left on our list to do. I predict we'll be able to put the house up by June 1st.

We got preapproved for mortgage at a great rate, valid for the next 4 months. We're hoping to be able to send dh down to NS for a couple of days to pick out a house later next month.

When the baby is born it's likely that dh is going to take advantage of the 35 week paid paternity leave. With the house sale our budget will be greatly decreased and the lesser income will cover us easily for the duration of the leave. Gives him a bit of time to work on the house/yard and either come up with a work at home job or find employment.

Still looking at houses. We found a nice one on 40 acres. The realtor has been slow getting back to us though.

Waiting is torture. I just want to be there in a new house and ready to move on with life!
#105 of 184 Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM

We ran into a bit of a snafu with our buyer and their financial situation and the IRS, interestingly enough, so we are waiting to get that straightened out, but it should be just a matter of getting the right people to talk to each other (which is TOUGH sometimes ) and then the appraisal can finally take place, this week or next. Our realtors are working on it.

I've started packing a bit. Slow going since we've really decluttered and thinned out and most of the stuff we need to pack or get rid of to move we really are using and need up until way closer to moving day. And the week before moving day we will be out of town so I don't know what I'm going to do! LOL

I'm looking for an apartment in our new location and having a little trouble finding the perfect place. We did find one building with a swimming pool, playground, allows pets, exercise room, garage space (really important in the dead of winter in ND), etc. that we really like. A little further from DH's work than we would like but close to everything else we'd need. The two bedroom is a little big for our needs and has two bathrooms I don't want to clean, so not perfect, and the one-bedroom we can't have due to occupancy rules. But I think we might go for the two bed anyway. I'm patiently waiting to get an application and copy of the lease so we can get an apartment reserved. We should find out today or tomorrow if it's available. Those apartments go fast - a 2 bed with a better layout we had our eye on was already rented out in the time it took us to decide we for sure wanted to live there (which was only a weekend!).

So wish us luck with that.

Hope everyone else is busy packing and doing great.

#106 of 184 Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Hi, its been a while

barefoot: good luck with everythinG! It will all fall into place.

so.... we got the keys to our new house on the 1st of may and since then have been doing lots of work. i preped the walls in the living room, kitchen, dining room and have painted all 3 (the living room is this colour green, dining room is a kind of greyish robins egg blue & kitchen also green, but more limey.. with white cupboards). im still working on the cabinets in the kitchen. i caught a cold sunday so i have taken a few days off to rest. but once i get back to it, hopefully friday (we go to the city to get more paint and supplies tomorrow) it should only take me another few hours to get the cabinets just how i want them.

once that job is done i will begin on my sons room (blue), then daughters room (light springy green)..

im not sure what im going to paint our bedroom yet. i have a full new gallon of paint that my MIL brough which i plan to use in the hallways. its a warm brown, almost gold (benjamin moore) that i may use in the end just to save buying more.. but im not sure. i have never had a brown bedroom before.

my dp has been busy destroying the bathroom/laundry room. there was a ton of water damage/mold in there. we knew about it on buying the place and figured it was doable.. it turns out its not as bad as we had thought it would be. he is also emptying out the basement of crap from previous owners. there is some nasty stuff down there (old preserves and bags of mildewy clothes. old shoes ect) but also some cool treasures. he has listed a few things on ebay already

my mom is coming to visit next week along with my dad & 2 brothers
and are bringing flooring and windows, bathtub, toilet and sink ect. im hoping it all gets done while they are here to help.

i have been packing stuff.. i guess maybe im doing it kind of backwards but im packing what i definately want to take and then im going to get rid of the rest. since we will be living between 2 houses for a while i figure its the easiest way. we plan to move all of the big stuff when my family is visiting since they are bringing a big open trailer, then we will move all of the smaller stuff with our van.

its quite a process!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#107 of 184 Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Hello all. May I jump in?
It looks like we will be moving to a new town in August of September. I have a DH who is a collector and a hoarder and I am still trying to get rid of all the junk that he wouldn't let me get rid of before we moved here two years ago - the junk that we payed to store and then to ship and most of which has been sitting in boxes in the garage for two years, or cluttering up the house.
Also, his method of cleaning is to toss everything that is lying around into a box or shopping bag and shove it into a closet to "sort through later". So, in every room of the house there are these bags and boxes full of game pieces, toys, broken bits of toys, old receipts, bills, dirty socks, overdue library books... You get the picture. It's impossible. If I throw anything away he freaks out.
Anyway, I am trying to go through all of this stuff and luckily DH realizes that we have to do a major decluttering before we can start packing. However, I have to put everything that I want to throw or give away aside for him to sort through at his leisure, so that he can make sure that I am not getting rid of any treasures, which really slows things down and is very frustrating and maddening.
Ugh
Anyway, just a vent. I am excited about moving and starting over in a clutter free house.
#108 of 184 Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Well, I can't believe how great my house looks. My dh and I went crazy replacing floors and carpets, painting and getting rid of stuff. The house has been up for sale for two weeks now. We're waiting to hear about one couple that really likes it. It is just crazy trying to keep everything neat and have it look like no one lives there just in case the real estate agent calls and says someone wants to see the house in an hour. We still haven't tackled the garage. It's mostly my dh's mess, though. I have been tired and stressed and am now sick (cold/sinus infection). We found a house that we like in our same neighborhood and school district and are thinking of making a contingent offer.

#109 of 184 Old 05-21-2010, 01:13 PM

I am freaking out!

I've been looking at a house for sale but haven't been able to reach the realtor about it.

A couple of days ago the listing was pulled. It's back up today much cheaper and listed as a foreclosure. The new realtor says all issues are cosmetic but she hasn't seen the house yet, so she's going to go down this weekend and take a million photos for us.

If it looks like a go, dh is going to fly down to look at it, book an inspection and place a bid. We are going to put our house for sale Tuesday and hope for the best!

The realtor doesn't think it'll last long now that the price has been reduced. I'm soooo excited and scared to death that we won't get it!

Cross your fingers for me please!
#110 of 184 Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Hi all! I think I posted here a couple of months ago. Anyway, we're moving in July. I'm trying to decide which of DS's toys to take along. He is 3. Any suggestions? He has, like, everything. :
#111 of 184 Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Hi all! I think I posted here a couple of months ago. Anyway, we're moving in July. I'm trying to decide which of DS's toys to take along. He is 3. Any suggestions? He has, like, everything. :
The ones he plays with? Lol we just had a yard sale and dumped about half of the kids toys. Most of them were kept in the closet (we rotated them) and the kids hadn't played with them in awhile. We kept their set of wood blocks and got rid of all the legos, dumped most of the stuffed animals. Puzzles that had pieces missing went, books that we falling apart...
#112 of 184 Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 AM

He plays with nearly all of them! Definitely he plays with more than will fit in our new place (we're moving into a smaller house). That's why it's hard to decide.... Hm....
#113 of 184 Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
He plays with nearly all of them! Definitely he plays with more than will fit in our new place (we're moving into a smaller house). That's why it's hard to decide.... Hm....
That would make it harder! My DS hardly plays with any of his toys at all, so it hasn't been hard for me to pare down. I'm keeping only a few of the very favorite stuffed animals. I've gotten rid of almost all of the blinky noisy plastic toys. I think I'm going to keep his Leappad which he's almost old enough to use now, and that's it. Then I'm trying to go for the more high-quality, open-ended toys. He has cool magnetic blocks and bristle blocks and nice wooden blocks, so that gives me license to get rid of the duplos, yk? And I'm trying to get rid of all or most duplicates, eg. only one or two small tractors, etc.

We're moving from a 4-bed house to a 2-bed apartment and plan to have all DS's toys in the living room (except for maybe his playdough and paints and stuff like that). The hard part for us is not going to be getting there with less toys but keeping the toys manageable once we're there! We're moving closer to family and they like giving toys! My MIL is at least getting better I think - for Christmas she actually gave him a handmade wooden car! (And some other stuff....) And for his upcoming birthday she asked me what he needed! I said Winnie The Pooh original collection and a couple other things we actually would keep forever and use.

#114 of 184 Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

Well we're done painting (except the porch, which is being powerwashed as I type) and we moved all the non-staging furniture out this weekend.

This week we're packing the rest of the small stuff in boxes. It's strewn everywhere because that's what we get for moving out the furniture before packing all of the contents.

We're also getting the carpets cleaned. We can't wash the windows because it keeps raining even though it never rains in May most years. I guess it's El Nino. Hopefully by next week all we'll have left is window washing and staging. We're on track to have the brokers' tour June 8.

MamaFern, I love the colors, esp. the Jalepeno Pepper. I wish you could come to my new place when we find it and help with colors....you have a gift!
#115 of 184 Old 05-24-2010, 04:43 PM

ACK! We are putting a bid in on a foreclosure today even though we haven't seen the house in person! Dh is going fly there Thursday to check it out.

If we don't get it inspected within 10 days the bid is cancelled.

40 acres, 3 bedroom house, 10 minutes from town for 90k! Crazy!
#116 of 184 Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

OK, quick question for everyone:

We painted all of the rooms different colors from what they were (cream, spring green, and light blue, depending on the room). The switchplates had been painted to match the old colors so now they don't go at all. I'm on limited time so I'm debating between painting them to match (takes longer, but cheaper) or just getting new ones, which will be white.

What do people think looks better? Painted to match or white? The rooms have an off-white trim, if that helps.

Thanks!
#117 of 184 Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM

I would just go with white. They are really cheap to buy, less hassle.
#118 of 184 Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Well we're done painting (except the porch, which is being powerwashed as I type) and we moved all the non-staging furniture out this weekend.

This week we're packing the rest of the small stuff in boxes. It's strewn everywhere because that's what we get for moving out the furniture before packing all of the contents.

We're also getting the carpets cleaned. We can't wash the windows because it keeps raining even though it never rains in May most years. I guess it's El Nino. Hopefully by next week all we'll have left is window washing and staging. We're on track to have the brokers' tour June 8.

MamaFern, I love the colors, esp. the Jalepeno Pepper. I wish you could come to my new place when we find it and help with colors....you have a gift!
exciting!

im going to be in exactly the same place this week. we are moving all of the big stuff before we have packed all of the small stuff, though im starting to get started on it...slowly

and thanks for the compliment! if we lived anywhere near I would totally come and help you. i love interior decorating!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#119 of 184 Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 AM

avent, sorry I meant to weigh in yesterday. I, too, would probably just buy all white switchplates. If it's not a budget strain.

#120 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks limette and BarefootScientist, I went with the white. They were much cheaper than I thought. I'll freecycle the old ones. I don't think they're recyclable.

Carpets were cleaned today, windows tomorrow. We've probably got about 4 hours of packing left and a few household repairs and new lighting to install, then we're ready for staging on Friday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page