2010 Moving Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our open house is on Sunday and dh left this morning to catch his flight to see the house. He won't be back until midnight Saturday.

Which means I've got to finish most of what's left (painting, laying tile, watering grass seed, staging the house etc).
#122 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Wow - good luck avent and limette with getting things all wrapped up! Exciting!

Nothing much going on here, just waiting. We did have some people look at the place this weekend (and ended up having to do a mad cleaning job right beforehand - we really need to work on keeping up better, I mean it looks great but we've got this bad habit of tossing everything in boxes and moving it into our cars and never re-sorting it out again. . . and it grows).
#123 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

I haven't read through all the posts yet I'll try to get to it later but I'm joining in here. We're getting ready to move also. We're selling our place and looking to buy something else. I'm not sure yet what kind of place we'll have when we move but I definitely have to declutter regardless.

So far we've gotten the place surveyed and we have an appraiser coming tomorrow just to see where we stand on selling price. The place needs a lot of work and I know that would up the value but we wanted a starting ground. Our neighbors are wanting to buy the place and plan to remodel on their own so we're not wanting to put the extra time and money into it if we can get enough out of it the way it is now so that's what we're looking into.

We've started scoping out some new places and so far have two options we're considering. One is a cute house with shop and land. The other is just land but more acres, lower price and better school district. We'd have to figure out something for housing though like a small trailer or a camper for now. Just not sure yet. We're trying to get appointments within the next week to get a better look at both places. Right now we just need that starting ground price from the appraisal on our place.

So I'm working like mad to get some stuff gone through and packed up TONIGHT! Its gonna be a long crazy night. (Sorry for the novel lol!)
#124 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Well the house is a no go. Apparently the dozens of photos we saw were before the owners foreclosed and trashed the place.

This trip is going to be a big waste of money and we'll end up stuck where we are.
#125 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM

What a bummer, limette. for a new place to hope for.

(We checked out a place like that last year. . . we'd birdseye'd it online and saw these strange circular things in the backyard - piles of garbage, I kid you not, HUGE piles of garbage. A neighbor told us they even brought in extra garbage, dead animals, etc initially and another neighbor and the police cleaned those up. It was pretty unbelievable.)
#126 of 184 Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Oh, limette, that's too bad!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#127 of 184 Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Well, I couldn't stand the stress any more so we went back to the first house we looked at online before our acreage expectations got overblown and bought that one.

It's only 4 acres but it backs onto crown land. We'll just have to either save up for a woodlot or sell and buy bigger down the road. The house is a 150 year old farmhouse. It's just a smidgen bigger than our house is now with a pantry and sunroom, 3 bedrooms + a tiny one that we'll turn into a second bathroom. Dining room, living room, kitchen.

The owners were really great, they hashed out the deal over tea. They are leaving us the riding lawnmower and a winter supply of firewood. If they decide to leave anything else behind they'll email us with the details. They are also super flexible on the closing date. Basically they'll put it as whatever closing date we get on our house.

Now we just have to sell this one! The open house is tomorrow. Hopefully it sells as fast as our agent said it would.

Not sure I'm looking forward to a 3000km move while 8 months pregnant with 2 kids.
#128 of 184 Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 AM

Wow, I didn't know there was a moving thread or I'd have been here long ago. My family is in the process of moving from Japan to Belgium. We've been working on simplifying before the move, getting rid of food stuff (or packaging it so it doesn't spill or leak), cleaning, preparing the kids, etc. . . It's somewhat overwhelming. I have a list of at least 100 things left to do before the movers come on Friday (day after tomorrow). We just got home last night from a 4 day vacation to a city I had to visit before we left Japan--probably should have gone sooner, but this move was unexpected. I'm so stressed, taken to drinking before bed just so I can stop the list making in my head while I'm trying to sleep (not usually a drinker, but I've found a glass or three of wine before bed really helps). We are going through the states on our move to visit family--which is starting to cause more drama. Seems my siblings can't just let us cheaply visit LA, they want to do 6 Flags, Disney, Aquariums, etc. . .I told them today we'll have to buy all new electronics, a new car, pay deposit on a house, insurance, etc. . .once we get to Europe--which I've heard is VERY expensive. Then my DH's dad (IN) has decided we can't stay with him because it won't be comfy for us so we have to now get a hotel for that too. Before deciding to hit the states we talked to everyone and explained we are in the middle of a big move and don't want to spend any money (in fact, we used the word sponging when talking about our visit) and it seems now everyone has forgotten this UGH! I'd just cancel these visits now but we can't, we leave in less than a month!! Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a little I'll read through the rest of the posts after I get a little bit crossed off that list today

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#129 of 184 Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM

treemom, wow, that sounds like a lot on your plate. Personally, I would probably remind the family that we were going to be sponging and pointedely ask if they were paying for Six Flags, et al. I hope you get it worked out!

AFM, working on selling stuff before we go and slowly packing. We close two weeks from this Friday. The appraisal went through with no isses so we're pretty much home-free on our house sale, and we also have an apartment to move into. So it's mostly just packing and getting rid of stuff! We've decided to take a U-Haul trailer in addition to our pickup and car and my dad's pickup. That means we'll have plenty of room and I won't have to wedge stuff in (I actually enjoy doing that, it's a skill I got from my mom and it's a fun challenge ).

Next week we'll be out of town too so I'm trying to get most of the stuff done this week.

#130 of 184 Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 AM

What a great board!! I also didn't know this existed, but with MDC I should have known...

We moved last weekend from the rental house we've lived in for the last 6 years to our very first home that we OWN!! It's very exciting, but with 4 kids and a dog, it's been.... challenging! I came down with a nasty case of mastitis about a week before the move, mostly from stress and fatugue, I think! THankfully I was able to veg on the couch for a couple days and DH took over the packing.

All of our children except the oldest were born while we lived at our old house, and the last 2 were actually born IN that house! And we've lived all but 6 months of our married life there. So there's a lot of good memories there and it does feel somewhat like a loss to be moving away. Our 11 year old daughter is feeling it the most, leaving her neighbor friends and a house she loves. She struggles with fear of change anyway, so the process has been harder for her.

I think this time of year is a great time to move, at least if you live in the midwest like us! The kids are loving our large, fenced back yard and I'm able to send them outside while I get our space set up.

Does anyone have good ideas for the UNpacking stage?? I feel like there are boxes everywhere and I don't know where anything is and there's no space that just feels "settled". This is tough. DO you focus just on one room at a time and get EVERYTHING done in that room, or do you do the basics for every room and then the details? (Do you know what I'm saying?)

I can't wait to paint!! The yellow for my livingroom walls is calling my name...

Good luck to all of you in your moves! Any tips on helping kids adjust and organizing space would be most helpful!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#131 of 184 Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 AM

Didn't know MDC had a thread about this! I'm joining because I need some serious motivation to pack pack pack, and declutter 10 years worth of accumulated stuff.

We bought a place 350m away from our current home, and take possession in a few short weeks. My goal is to empty all shelves of their contents before June 30 so DH can disassemble the furniture for the move. I will be 500 km away with the kids visiting my parents for 3 weeks in July while DH does the bulk of the move. Luckily we will rent out our current home, so no need to move the major appliances. But we will have to paint, repair holes in the walls, install wood flooring and ceramic tiles before we can welcome a tenant, hopefully for September.

Any advice on what size of banker's box is best for moving books?

TIA

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#132 of 184 Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM

we got a lot done yesterday! DP and I took up the laminate flooring in our bedroom rental that we put down last july and moved it to the new house.. I de-cluttered the closets/master bedroom, went thought middle dd's clothing and have 3 huge garbage bags of stuff (clothes, random crap, toys ect) to go to the free store.. then I packed up games and puzzles, other bedroom things into boxes. our bedroom is now just bins of clothing in closets and a bed and a few plants/special things that I will pack near the end and a trunk that i need to sort through with newborn baby things in it. everything else in there has been moved. the kids room is about the same, my son still has his bed but we moved my daughters, she just has a mattress on the floor ATM. They have a few toys.books left on a built in shelf but they will easily be thrown into boxes at the last minute (and need to be de-cluttered anyways)
we moved a bunch of other small furniture, bags of linens and thing like that... now my job is going to the new house and putting everything where it goes, setting up the beds, ect. It is finally going to start looking like a home!

The last things to move are the living room & table/chairs and kitchen stuff..though I am going to slowly start moving a few kitchen things since my cupboards are all now
painted and have had some time to really dry
the counter tops and new sink aren't in yet..hopefully this week or next..and we do still need to paint the doors of the cupboards but i figure that can wait till later this month. its not essential.
which the living room bookshelf, tv cabinet and rocking chair, coffee table ect. which we use everyday.

I will also be spending some time sorting and organizing my craft stuff again before we move it.. I have a lot and its pretty well done, but it could use a bit more work. It is mainly going to be stored for the next few months anyways I figure, so i may as well have it all ready to go then when I need anything I know exactly where it is.. Im going to be needing to sew curtains ect. at some point this summer.

DP is going to focus on laying the flooring in our bedroom and the kitchen/dining room for the next few days.

always more to do..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#133 of 184 Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM

We know around when we are going to move now! I just found out Im pregnant and when my DH notified his command they told him they will have us moved by November at the latest! Which is awesome to have some idea of when even though Im not looking forward to an international move while pregnant. Hopefully we get our housing stuff before the baby comes, otherwise it might be a little interesting. DH is going into the career planner next month to start the paperwork moving so hopefully by the end of August we will have an idea of when and where. It seems like the most likely places are Hawaii and California.
DH is talking about trying to take leave in August to help me go through and start decluttering and packing the nonessentials. The movers will do most of the packing which is probably good since Im already having issues with morning sickness and dizziness, I shouldn't really be doing much climbing and lifting.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#134 of 184 Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Two weeks until moving day for us! I feel like things are progressing nicely and we're really getting down to the bare essentials.

#135 of 184 Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Still no offers on our house despite tons of interest.

My real estate agent totally dropped the ball. It took a week for his secretary to get the photos up on the mls and he tried to force a bidding war which just scared away all the buyers.

We have until the 11th to secure an offer or we lose our offer on the new house and have to start the whole process again.

So stressful. I have to move no later than the 15th of July or I risk giving birth on the road.
#136 of 184 Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Our appraisal got backed up to this week because of the holiday so the appraiser came today. We'll get our report back Monday or Tuesday so we can know what we're looking at getting for our property. Right now we have 2 prospective buyers so we shall see. We've been looking for properties to buy and have made a decision so we're working out details with the seller to owner finance so we can go ahead and buy the new property without having to wait on closing for our place. We'll hopefully be doing the papers next week.

I've gotten a good bit done here but definitely have a LONNNGGGG way to go with decluttering and a large to do list before the new property will be ready to move to. I doubt we'll be moved and settled in before school starts in August so I'm debating that too. Maybe this is the in-road I need to convince DH we should homeschool hee hee. Hope everything is going well for everyone else. Happy Moving Vibes to us all!
#137 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Well our appraisal is back and not quite what we were hoping for but I guess it's not too bad. I'm not sure yet what we're going to do about selling this. We have decided to go ahead and split the property though and already had the survey done to do it. We told the prospective buyer (of the 1 acre) our offer and we're waiting for a response. We have to decide what to do before contacting the prospective buyer of the 3 1/2 acres.

We have a hold up on the land we were looking at getting though. Talked to the attorney earlier and there are some discrepancies with the paperwork so we're waiting for a final report now. I'm not sure if we're going to be able to get the land or at least not right now so its back to the drawing board. How are things going for everyone else?
#138 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Horribly.

It's a sellers market and we have the nicest house for the best price and we haven't sold yet. Noone can figure out why there have been no offers when everyone who has seen the house says they love it and will put in an offer the next day. It's probably because our agent is impossible to get a hold of. It's been three days, yesterday he spent the entire day golfing according to his Facebook profile. He had another agent attend both open houses. It took a week to get photos up on MLS and 4 days to get the price changed.

Today was the day we were supposed to meet the conditions on our purchase but we can't without an offer on our house. Soooo we amended the contract but if they get an offer they can sell it to someone else within 24 hours.

I have to be out of here at least 4 weeks before the due date so I don't risk giving birth on the highway.

Oh and dh's boss keeps threatening him. He's trying to bully him into going on EI and continue working full time so the boss doesn't have to pay him (illegal) or implying that he'll be fired. If we can't sell the house and end up unemployed we'll be screwed.
#139 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

We had, like, 3 showings this past weekend and the first 2 (on the same day) cancelled, like an hour before coming. It was really annoying after busting our butts to get ready (mostly me - dh was working nights) and the having to go out for meals twice in one day (cause we'd headed out already). . . especially when I was actually planning ahead to cook.
That said I do hope these people reschedule. One was with a lady we've been working with as a buyer's agent, and she let us know they were pretty interested in seeing the place and had car trouble that day. Sigh.

I know a bunch of you are moving, like, right now. Hope it's going well.
#140 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Oh, I'm sorry everyone's having a bad day/week. limette, you especially...ugh, sounds horrible. If I were you, I'd think about switching real estate agents.

Things are going fine for me. I feel pretty ready. It's one week from closing today. What I'm working on/stressing about right now is that we're having an open garage tomorrow. Selling a couple things but mostly free junk. I'm really hoping swarms of people come and clean out our garage for us so I don't have to worry about getting rid of stuff next week, but I'm not sure how optimistic to be.

Other than that, we're all packed pretty much! Except the kitchen and except the things we'll need for the last week here. Like clothes.

#141 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
We had, like, 3 showings this past weekend and the first 2 (on the same day) cancelled, like an hour before coming. It was really annoying after busting our butts to get ready (mostly me - dh was working nights) and the having to go out for meals twice in one day (cause we'd headed out already). . . especially when I was actually planning ahead to cook.
That drives me crazy. Even worse are people who have no intention of buying, they are just window shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post
Oh, I'm sorry everyone's having a bad day/week. limette, you especially...ugh, sounds horrible. If I were you, I'd think about switching real estate agents.
We just called him again. If he doesn't call back in within an hour we are going to switch. Our agent in NS said that you should get a call back after leaving a message within 30 minutes. She also thinks we should find a different agent here.
#142 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM

mumkimum: Hopefully they will reschedule. It must be crazy trying to schedule showings of the house you're living in. We haven't gotten that far yet. Our prospective buyer right now is the neighbor and if they don't buy then we'll start trying to sell the place. Not sure right now though with the land.

limette: I hate to hear you haven't gotten an offer yet. Is there any way you can change realtors? I hope you can hurry up and get an offer on your house and definitely before you have that baby. Is there anything you can do about your DH's boss acting crazy? My DH is having trouble at work too so I know how you feel. It definitely sucks in the middle of all this trying to buy/sell property.
#143 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Oops some of the posts were being posted when I was making mine. I hope you can find a better realtor limette.

BFS: Glad to see things are moving along. Next week! How exciting. I have no idea what kind of time frame we're looking at moving in yet. Hope everything goes smoothly. I can't wait to get to move!
#144 of 184 Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
mumkimum: Hopefully they will reschedule. It must be crazy trying to schedule showings of the house you're living in. We haven't gotten that far yet. Our prospective buyer right now is the neighbor and if they don't buy then we'll start trying to sell the place. Not sure right now though with the land.

limette: I hate to hear you haven't gotten an offer yet. Is there any way you can change realtors? I hope you can hurry up and get an offer on your house and definitely before you have that baby. Is there anything you can do about your DH's boss acting crazy? My DH is having trouble at work too so I know how you feel. It definitely sucks in the middle of all this trying to buy/sell property.
We're going to call the brokerage and request a new agent.

Can't do much about the boss. He's annoyed because his business, which has a 10 year old bad rep isn't making as much money as he dreams it should (dh has tripled sales in 6 months). He wants expenses cut, but the only way to do is to fire all the staff and have dh work the hours. Which is frankly a waste. Dh was hired to manage and promote not work a till full time. The guy is a lawyer and doesn't seem to care about the legality of things he requests of his staff.
#145 of 184 Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Okay, I'll join in! We're buying our first house! I'm so excited- we should be just about doubling our square footage, from a tiny two bedroom apartment (technically one-bed because the second room doesn't have a closet and is just about the size of a large walk-in) to a three-bedroom house with two extra rooms in the basement! I have two kids and a new baby, so we need the space! I think what I'm most excited about is building up good soil for a veggie garden. We've moved almost every summer since getting married (7 years later this month), so I'm really looking forward to being able to garden in the same spot every year.
#146 of 184 Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 AM

I don't know how much longer I can do this.

Every couple of days we get some who "loves" the house and will be putting in an offer the next day and then nothing.

It's looking like none of the people looking at the house actually have any intention of buying a house in the near future. Why are they wasting my time looking in the first place?

The clock is ticking and if we don't sell soon, we're screwed.
#147 of 184 Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 PM

SaoirseC: Getting your first home is exciting! It'll be nice to have the extra space and be able to garden.

Limette: I hope someone puts in an offer soon. It would drive me crazy having all those people in and out of the house and still not sell. Did you find a new realtor?

We are waiting on the attorney to come back with the reports from the title search and all on the place we're trying to buy. Looks like a couple of things need to be cleared up first but she said there isn't a problem. We should have a final report by tomorrow so we'll see. I don't know how we'll proceed if we aren't buying that place right now. Still waiting to hear from prospective buyers on our current place also.
#148 of 184 Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 PM

We are still trying to sell, too. Everyone who has come to see the house thinks it's so nice and really likes it...but usually they say they don't like the idea of a shared driveway. Nothing I can do about that. It really isn't a problem anyway and most people in our neighborhood have street parking.

It is definitely a pain to have to get the place in shape, gather up three kids and a dog and get out whenever someone wants to see the place. We've had last minute cancellations, too.

The house that we want to buy is still for sale and still too expensive. We put in an offer and they wouldn't even consider it, even though our realtor said that's all the house is worth. The sellers don't seem to want to take anything less than they are asking, which seems ridiculous to me.

I'm not sure if we should reduce the price of our house or not. It really is so much nicer than houses in the same price range in our area, so I hate to get less for it. We're going on a 2 week+ roadtrip vacation starting on the 27th. There is an open house that day and then I told the realtor she can say yes to anyone who wants to see the house while we're gone. My parents can run over and turn the a/c on and off when needed.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#149 of 184 Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 PM

We move TOMORROW!

#150 of 184 Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM

We have an offer on our house, but there's a concern that it will fall through.

Dh's boss is being an ass and laying him off for spite. I am so pissed right now. So if house sale fails, we'll be royally screwed.

I'm crossing my fingers that we are out of here by mid-July.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page