2010 Moving Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 184 Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The old moving support thread has been quiet since last May, but we're coming up on moving season again, so maybe we should open a new thread each season.

We're hoping to stay in town but downsize to about half of our current footage. Over the holidays we decluttered a lot, maybe 2000 items, but we still have more to do.

I've never moved with children and am feeling overwhelmed. And the packing, the packing.

I'm in denial right now.

Plus we own so there's quite a bit to fix up before we can put the house on the market. Last time we sold the market was very hot in our area and we were only listed for 2 weeks. (Remember those days?)

Anyone else?
#2 of 184 Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM

avent, hi moving support is always good!

we moved in July from one town to another, 10 hours apart..and we are planning to move houses, but not towns in July (hopefully! our 1 yr lease is up then.) the place that i am renting is not my ideal at all, and my mom just told me she is going to help us with a down-payment on our own small house!! im so excited.
we don't have much money, so its going to be smallish...i want to go that way because i don't want to struggle every month trying to pay the mortgage..not to mention that smaller = less impact on the earth and a larger insentive to be very organised! we have looked at a few places that are very promising (one in particular that i can already see our garden and chickens and bedrooms set up!)..but im thinking that in order to get the perfect place i should prepare..

im thinking that the house wont be much smaller than where we are now, but we are kind of cluttered here, so im going to really de-clutter.. i want to have a garage sale in spring and also just take a lot to the thrift shop & free store.
i intend to only move what we really need or what makes our house a home, in terms of beauty..so as soon as spring comes in full force i am going to be sanding and painting and fixing up things that i will be taking when we move.. most of what we have is fairly practical, but things like my kitchen could be paired down (although the kitchen in said house is larger that this one) i figure if you make space for the new it will come, right?

im thinking of doing it one room at a time, starting with mine, since i still have boxes of christmas stuff not put away
my closets are shared with both dd's and one thing that the house i liked most doesn't have is much closet space, so clothing must be minimized (and or stored by season which is possible, there is heaps of storage there, just fairly unaccessable)...i have way too much for my kids anyways, because i dont get the time to go through it and i like thrift shopping and we get a lot of hand-me-downs as well.

im even considering starting to pack up things we plan to take, but don't "need" right now, like books in my bedroom closet and such. just to get them out of the way.
linens are another thing i need to better organize..

oh i love moving to get me going!

i have been feeling pretty stuck in terms of house stuff lately here because the thought of staying another year makes me cringe and the thought of moving to another short term rental makes me feel the same.. so knowing that we will be moving into our own house makes me really want to get doing stuff.. it will all be worth it when we are the owners of our own little house!

oh, another thing i intend to do once spring/summer comes is dig up the things i have planted to transplant and also some things that are growing here in bounty. i love pretty flowering things and medicinal herbs and the one thing this house has that i love is the garden (though at this time of year its massively depressing!)

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 184 Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

MamaFern, thanks for your reply.

It's great you've got so much stuff figured out.

We're moving from a large home to a rental. We bought a house we could afford when we were both working, when I was pregnant. I didn't think I would want to leave my job after I had kids, but I did. We tried to make it on one income (plus a layoff) and it's just not possible. But aside from that, this house doesn't suit us and is too big. We want to downsize and minimize our responsibilities, as far as possessions. You're very wise to already have figured this out before buying.
#4 of 184 Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

We currently live in a house that could have been turned into something really fabulous but we never had the time to devote. (Think urban farm type of thing.) Now I am sad we're never going to get to do it.

And also I keep thinking about how I can let this place go when my daughter was born here.
#5 of 184 Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM

Chiming in here too. Last year we were thinking about moving this spring, then changed our mind, then I got pregnant and we were like nah. . . then all of a sudden just decided to go for it, mainly cause our house just doesn't meet our needs any longer and nothing is going to change that - I think we both realized we'd end up hating living here if we force ourselves to do so. So we've been packing and painting the past 2 weeks, and hopefully will be listing within the next 2 (with a baby due in 3-4 weeks from now, yikes!). I'm hating the chaos of getting things ready. . . today dh & I busted out and put the bathroom back together at least and everything's set for me to put back the rest of the 1st floor rooms this weekend.

We're lucky to be in an area where there's a good amount of larger/differently arranged homes that (in this market, anyway) will cost almost the same as we paid for ours - so even taking somewhat of a loss in selling, we won't be increasing our payments or anything. REALLY hoping for something with a bigger or better yard for gardening and better light orientation for indoor plants too (there are like 2 spots in our house that plants will thrive, otherwise forget it).
#6 of 184 Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I can't believe you're doing that work at this stage of your pregnancy. I think I was just waddling around and rubbing my back all the time at that point.

Came up with some logistics today for how we're going to do this and started an online to-do list so we both have access to it from wherever. Also found the cheapest place in town for supplies and posted to Freecycle for boxes. Also got an offer to borrow a van, so that's great!

This weekend is key to get started. We said we would move in the Spring and here were at the end of February, so we have to bust out a lot of work the next two days.
#7 of 184 Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

OK, we finally got started today with packing, even though we've been decluttering for awhile. We got some boxes from Freecycle and bought some supplies like tape and bubble wrap.

I made it over to our storage unit to figure out how to get in (they had replaced the doors, put in temp locks, etc.) DH is now over there loading in the first 10 bankers boxes, which are all books. Brother is coming by to sift through some baby stuff the kids have outgrown.

So, progress...
#8 of 184 Old 02-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Today the plan is to pack up assorted unneeded dishes, try to get dd to let go of as many as possible 'kid dishes', and hopefully get the dining room useable. Plus corral all the things we'd designated 'take to MIL instead of storage' for Monday.

And ditto to the I can't believe I'm doing this work being so pregnant either, sometimes it's like .
#9 of 184 Old 03-01-2010, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mumkimum, so how'd it go today?

We didn't do much today wrt the move, but we did get some packing done and my brother made some much-needed repairs to the bathroom. It looks good in there. Just a coat of paint when we get around to it.

Will try to pack a few boxes tomorrow while DS is in his nature program. (We homeschool, so it can be tricky to find time.)
#10 of 184 Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 AM

Got a few things boxed up - never as much as I hope. Dh picked up various misc. things we needed for city violations we can fix ourselves today (they're picky here, good but also . . . well, time consuming sometimes). I got the baby corner set up so I can box up the rest of the things in that room and then paint the one wall that's green.

We're planning on working on the basement together tomorrow so we can set it up with piles of donations/take to storage/take to MIL/garbage. And it looks like dh is switching some of his work days (thank goodness - he was about to be working 6 days in a row) so we'll have a tad extra time to be working on moving readyness/getting ready for babe cause I really want as much done as possible before the new babe is here.
#11 of 184 Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Sigh. DH hurt his back this morning, unrelated to moving. But now he's flat on his back and is in so much pain. This is not good on so many levels, and one of them is the move.
#12 of 184 Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM

avent: im sorry to hear about your husbands back.. you must be worried how you are going to get everything done.. do you have family/friends who can come give you some hands?

we got a big load of things to the freestore on the weekend, and a small load to the dump as well. i love getting things cleaned up! spring is around the corner, and though i have major itchy feet to get into another house i know i will likely be here till the end of june, so i want it to be nice till then. i got our christmas stuff sorted and put away. today i plan to work on my bedroom, starting to get swome things packed up and out of the way and my goal is at least another 3 bags for the freestore.. im still thinking of having a garage sale, but that means storing things till then and we have no storage to speak of so.. the freestore is just easier.

the kitchen is also on my list for this week. i got a beautiful handmade pottery bowl from my friend last night (it was my birthday) she is a pretty well know potter in my town so i can de-clutter another bowl from our stash, and i need to get rid of some mugs and cups too..simplify! its my motto for the next few months. we have a simple life, but we do have quite a bit of stuff even so..its all pretty nice though, im picky and aesthetic in a frugal sort of way...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#13 of 184 Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

My mom's coming in tonight to stay for a few days and help because of DH's back. Yea for mamas!

What's a freestore?

Oh, and

MamaFern!
#14 of 184 Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
My mom's coming in tonight to stay for a few days and help because of DH's back. Yea for mamas!

What's a freestore?

Oh, and

MamaFern!
avent, that's great!! im glad you found some help!
thank you for the birthday wishes..

a free store is like a thrift store, but its all free. its near our local dump and people take stuff there that they don't need but that is still useful and other people take it as needed. its like a treasure hunt too, which is fun.
lots of small communities around where i live have them

Quote:

#15 of 184 Old 03-03-2010, 02:51 PM

We're moving on Sunday. We hired a moving company to help us move. We started packing over the weekend and haven't finished yet. We're moving from a 1,600 square foot 3-bedroom house that we short sold (its still in escrow) into a 2-bedroom 1,000 square foot apartment. So, we've been getting rid of stuff---donating, selling and throwing away junk. I'm excited because the apartment is new (built in 2003) with a gorgeous view of hills (its in a suburb of Los Angeles) and we'll finally have a window in our bedroom and a normal bathroom. The house that we are moving out of does not have any windows in the master bedroom and the bathroom is all small tiles (very difficult to clean and accumulated a lot of mold) with a weird custom tile shower that is dangerous to get in and out of because it has 2 narrow steps that you have to go down in order to get into the shower. That made it impossible for me to give my daughter a bath without me getting into it too and being careful not to slip and fall down. The best part is that this move will be saving us a lot in living expenses. For the house we were living in, we were paying $3,800 per month (that includes property taxes and it was built in 1955 so its an older home with several problems) and our new apartment will be only $1,485 per month (that includes $50 pet rent for our dog). Another thing that I'm excited about is the apartment has a washer and dryer inside the unit (I've never had that luxury before).

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#16 of 184 Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

We are going to look at a house tomorrow and if all goes well we will be moving at the end of April!!! We've been in this house just about a year and we still aren't really settled. If this move happens I'm determined to make it go smoothly and to not move anything we aren't in love with.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#17 of 184 Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
We're moving on Sunday. We hired a moving company to help us move. We started packing over the weekend and haven't finished yet. We're moving from a 1,600 square foot 3-bedroom house that we short sold (its still in escrow) into a 2-bedroom 1,000 square foot apartment. So, we've been getting rid of stuff---donating, selling and throwing away junk. I'm excited because the apartment is new (built in 2003) with a gorgeous view of hills (its in a suburb of Los Angeles) and we'll finally have a window in our bedroom and a normal bathroom. The house that we are moving out of does not have any windows in the master bedroom and the bathroom is all small tiles (very difficult to clean and accumulated a lot of mold) with a weird custom tile shower that is dangerous to get in and out of because it has 2 narrow steps that you have to go down in order to get into the shower. That made it impossible for me to give my daughter a bath without me getting into it too and being careful not to slip and fall down. The best part is that this move will be saving us a lot in living expenses. For the house we were living in, we were paying $3,800 per month (that includes property taxes and it was built in 1955 so its an older home with several problems) and our new apartment will be only $1,485 per month (that includes $50 pet rent for our dog). Another thing that I'm excited about is the apartment has a washer and dryer inside the unit (I've never had that luxury before).

sounds great!! simplifying rocks!

Quote:

#18 of 184 Old 03-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Finally felt motivated today to tackle one of the bigger projects *I* needed to get done - fixing the paint job on the trim in our bedroom from last year's water leakage. It's all done, thank goodness, now I just have one wall to paint and stuff like that is pretty much done. (of course, there's the mysterious kitchen sink leak I discovered today too but that's not my area of expertise at all). Plus, dh got called off at work yesterday and we finished fixing all the stuff (minus outdoor stuff like concrete work) that the city inspection had us down for violations.

So we're closer and closer to listing the place. Of course there's all the assorted boxes of stuff all over the house to keep taking care of, and unfortunately I can't really handle getting it done too much in my condition (no way I'm carrying boxes all over the house at 39 weeks, I just know I'll kill my back that way). But so nice to have so much of the 'need to fix' list done.

Hope the rest of you have been having luck. And yay! to those so close to moving - how exciting!
#19 of 184 Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 PM

Our move is a go!! The house we looked at today was awesome! We will probably start moving stuff mid April!

Now to start decluttering!!

ETA: Well, I managed to scrub the bathroom from top to bottom! Walls and everything. I figure the more deep cleaning I get done now, the less we'll have to do when we're moving out.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#20 of 184 Old 03-05-2010, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Today was eaten up with other things but I've got mom here to watch the kids and I convinced my brother and SIL to come over all day Saturday and help pack. My brother has a good car for moving stuff so we should be able to make a lot of progress. Now to get some boxes...
#21 of 184 Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 AM

avent, any new updates? how is your dp's back?

we have some more info on the house we are considering. it is looking hopeful! we want to put in an offer soon, once we get an inspection done and do some more researching.

other news, i found out today that im pregnant! i have had a feeling for a few weeks but today i got my bfp. 6 people in a small 3br house..it will be a practice in simplicity! the good thing is that we would be all moved and reno's done and everything set up by nov. when the babe is due..

im going to paint it all exactly how i want and we will put in some new windows and totally redo the bathroom. it will be a lovely home when we are done with it! im really getting excited! New home, new baby.. so much can happen in such short time!

Quote:

#22 of 184 Old 03-12-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

MamaFern, DH's back is getting better, but is still off. Mom's going to stay until at least Monday.

We're making progress with packing, though, and since we focus on it on weekends we should have some time especially devoted to it in a couple of days.

We also told people we were dreading to tell, like our babysitter. That was hard.

Congrats on the baby!!!!
#23 of 184 Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM

Hello all. I belong in this thead. Our house is currently up for sale, been about a month or so. We've been here 3 years. We are military and while we don't have orders to move yet we wanted to get a jumpstart on it. Plus we are downsizing and simplifying our lives and this is the next step. We live in a 4bd 2000+ sq ft house and will be moving into a 2bd apt when our house sells. The local market here isn't as depressed as other areas of the country but we will be taking a loss.

I've got the house decluttered now and we have showings about once a week, we've had 7 since we listed at the end of Feb. I am literally jumping out of my skin in anticipation of moving. I've never really liked this house, we settled on it, we couldn't make up our minds, we had some pretty life changing events happen right around the same time and I don't think we were thinking straight . But luckly, this neighborhood is close to base and lots of other military people live here and our price is good so I'm hoping it won't be too too long. Things are starting to grow and spring is arriving so I think that will bring the new family who is going to live here!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#24 of 184 Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM

avent, thanks

wonderful news that your dp is healing up..backs can take a while to get strong again which is difficult, especially if you are a busy person!
im sorry it was so hard telling people. the last time we moved it was over 10 hours away and some people were pretty sad/upset. me included..but it was necessary. im pretty sure we are where we will stay for a good long time, if not forever..it makes me to feel that way. we have been searching for quite a while.

marimara, welcome! good luck and happy house selling!!!

Quote:

#25 of 184 Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Oooh, I didn't know this thread existed. I haven't read all of the previous posts, but I imagine I belong here

We just moved from our rented townhouse into a house of our very own! But, although it's spacious it lacks closets. Finding a place for everything is sort of difficult.

We've had a huge mess of boxes covering our whole dining room (which is really just an extension of the living room) for a month. Last night I finally got fed up and stacked everything neatly along the wall. But now it's a race against time. I know that we'll end up looking for something in one of those boxes and they'll end up strewn all about again. And it's a race against time because if there is one thing I'm sure of, it's that sometime in the next six weeks I'm going to go into labor.

I really overdid it last night with the moving of boxes, so tonight I think I'm going to start just getting a few boxes unpacked every night.

This weekend is the last weekend that we have the overlapping lease on the townhouse, so we have a ton of cleaning to do. I'm so not looking forward to that. I can't even imagine my 8 month pregnant self leaning over the tub trying to clean it. I'll be so glad to mail off those keys on Monday and be done with it forever.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#26 of 184 Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome marimara and rhiOrion!

My brother came by today but we ended up not doing anything for the move. We just sat around and drank coffee and talked. Mom's still in town so it was fun. But he's coming back tomorrow so we can actually do some work. He said he'd be by early but with the time change, who knows?

I think I'm going to go to a couple of open houses tomorrow. I'm not interested in the houses but I want to meet the realtors I'm thinking of hiring and seeing how their houses stage and present.
#27 of 184 Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Whew. Hired a friend's college student daughter to come help for the day. We got a lot done! Just having one more (energetic) person to help was great. And having her here meant I couldn't take long breaks, surf the web, clean the house, etc. I've asked her back next weekend.

Brother is coming by to take a lot of stuff out of the house tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing?
#28 of 184 Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 AM

We will be moving the 1st of May. We have been in our 3 bedroom house for 10 years & are now moving to a 2 bedroom apartment and adding another member to our family soon after. I am trying not to freak out! We have been decluttering for awhile now but it never feels like enough. We aren't very material people so I never realized just how much junk accumulates over 10 years without trying. We had a yard sale today & decided that whatever is left is going to be donated. I just need it gone for my own sanity.

Now I need to move on to packing things. We will be getting a storage unit in April so that will help. I am just having a hard time figuring what to pack when. Any suggestions on that? What can you really pack ahead of time how far ahead of time?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#29 of 184 Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Now I need to move on to packing things. We will be getting a storage unit in April so that will help. I am just having a hard time figuring what to pack when. Any suggestions on that? What can you really pack ahead of time how far ahead of time?
We've been decluttering too but we're also putting stuff into storage so we can properly stage the house. We're 2 months out from our target date and we've already stored quite a bit.

We've gone through room by room and packed up everything we can live w/o for 6 months. Examples:

--All our books except ~10 for me and ~DH and 10 for the kids. We'll be relying on the library.

--All knick knacks and decorative items

--All seasonal stuff

--Kitchen items we use infrequently such as out fondue pot and large roasting pan

--All homeschool stuff we've gotten ahead of time but we don't need yet

--All extra tablecloths, linens, etc.

--All art supplies except crayons and paper (we're not super artistic)

--All CDs except a few

--Musical instruments

--80% of the toys

--All clothes I am saving from the older child for the younger one, that won't fit until at least next year

--All DVDs and VHS tapes (Netflix here we come)

--All photos

--All of our filing once I've got it organized

We're almost to the point where we can do more rounds, which involve putting away even more stuff as we get closer to the date. We're just going to keep adding items as we don't need them anymore, until the last week when we'll put the rest in except what we really need, which we're taking to my parents' house to stay for awhile.

ETA: After not having some of this stuff around I am hoping to declutter some of it as it comes out of storage. But we don't have a lot (relatively!) after decluttering. We'll probably have ~60 boxes for everything for all 4 of us, not counting furniture.
#30 of 184 Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Holy cow - we had pictures taken today & will be up 'on the market' anytime now. Woo hoo! (finished this with lots of help from my mom & sister who came in, and after having a baby on tuesday. It's been crazy around here and probably with extra crankiness on my part, I'll admit). But our realtor was really impressed with what we'd been able to do, and this is a really good time to be available in our area (medical students coming here who are looking to buy a house now).

I guess we're on to the chaos of trying to keep the house up, empty, clean and be able to run out at anytime. Yikes. Anyone with tips for that, I could use it.

And for packing stuff into storage -- we pretty much packed away same stuff on avent's list there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page