Will we regret downsizing??? Help me think this through - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the awesome comments! It is looking like everything will work out just as we hoped for this place, it is just going to be a very slow process.

Right now we are focusing on drastically downsizing our possessions so that it will make life easier as we go through this journey. I've already decluttered a good portion of our "stuff" in the fall, so this is a more radical step. It is a tiny bit scary, but in a good way

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#32 of 38 Old 03-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Our family is of a similar mix: one daughter and three boys (16, 12, 9, 6y). Due to the age "gap" between the first two children they shared a room for a very short time only. Our set-up so far was DD has a bedroom of her own, 2 DSs share a bedroom and 1 DS has a bedroom of his own. So, we obviously have more space than you.
As my daughter is at a different stage than the rest of our gang I think it's important that she gets to have a break from "too many boys around".

We had to downsize a bit when we moved here from Germany last year. I still feel we have too much stuff. That's your big advantage there: you can really prioritize what's important for you as a family.

As you're homeschooling much of the reading / crafting etc. "stations" will probably be more in the kitchen / family room area, right? That'll save on needed space in DCs' bedrooms. If they're more on the smaller side you and your children will be less tempted to drown the place in toys.

Another idea: my husband and I left what was designed to be the "master bedroom" (with walk-in closet and a full bathroom) to our 2 youngest boys. After all, we only use the bedroom for sleeping (and some sewing on my part) while our children play and read in their rooms. Maybe that's a suggestion that could work in your house, too.

Good luck, sounds like this house has been waiting for you!

(Could this be you? )

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#33 of 38 Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomof4;[QUOTE
15151286]

As you're homeschooling much of the reading / crafting etc. "stations" will probably be more in the kitchen / family room area, right? That'll save on needed space in DCs' bedrooms. If they're more on the smaller side you and your children will be less tempted to drown the place in toys.
It sounds like we have a lot in common! Yes, the homeschooling stuff is in the living room/dining room only at this point, except for a small collection of favorite books in both kid bedrooms. I realized a couple years ago when we first started looking for a house that it was unlikely we'd have enough bedroom space for a separate homeschool room so we set up a nice system in the dining room. I actually prefer having the homeschool stuff in the main part of the house anyway. Their bedrooms are very simple at the moment.

I actually went through ALL of the toys yesterday with my oldest's help and took out most everything. We kept just their very favorite items (mostly open ended natural toys) and the rest are going to live in a bag in our basement for a month or two and see if we miss any of it. I already notice they are playing together much more nicely and that they have no problems cleaning it up in just a minute. I wish I'd done this ages ago! I think this was a good thing on many levels, but it will be much easier in the farmhouse if they aren't swimming in toys (even if they are nice ones). This is me today:

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#34 of 38 Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

awesome!
#35 of 38 Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM

My dad is #2 out of 7 kids...first 6 are boys and youngest a girl. He grew up in a house that had a big attic "dormitory" where all the boys slept, and the girl had her own small room. They had bunkbeds and not too much "stuff". He lived in that attic room all the way through college too (lived at home while going to school and working to save money), and he said the one thing that was challenging was finding a quiet place to study. So in college, sometimes he would just do that at the school library instead of at home. They did not have a lot of money (grandma stayed home, and grandpa was a mailman), so a bigger place was not an option. Dad says sharing space never bothered him growing up, and I know my mom appreciates the fact that my dad is tidy with his things (clothes, shoes, etc.) because he HAD to be growing up, whereas MIL always cleaned up after my DH so he is not so good at keeping his things put away.

Sounds really cool...good luck to you!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#36 of 38 Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM

We live in about 1700 square feet (no basement) and I'd say when the kids were younger we had no issues with space. But, as they get older, since our children have such vibrant personalities I think personally it would be easier if there was more space in the house with regard to that.

There are other benefits to having a smaller space. Though even my DH brings up the 'new house' idea from time to time now. Sigh.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#37 of 38 Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 PM

If you have 5 acres you could put up a yurt or dome for extra fun and quest quarters.
#38 of 38 Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM

you had me at craftsman i'ld do it in a HEARTBEAT! fwiw i have 5 kids in under 900sq ft (we do plan to add on in the future though )

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page