Got rid of the TV, BUT... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... now I don't know what to put where it used to be.

Here is what it looks like now. Well, obviously I have to declutter the living room, that's tomorrow. Usually I keep sticking things up on the top shelves because the kids can't reach them.

Which brings me to my next point - I have a sensory seeking toddler and a... well, a 2-year old toddler. I can't put anything there that might be, oh, eaten. Like a big potted plant - tried that and never again, the playing-sandbox-in-the-dirt thing was too much. Or even a nature table (the mantle above the fireplace is our nature table equivalent, in sight but out of reach, that needs decluttering too eep). So basically I need something that is big and heavy and cannot be moved or taken apart or... or. I'm at a loss but it looks so ugly to have that empty space like that - especially cos the previous owners ripped a huge hole in the backing to fit their massive TV set in.

I don't want to get rid of the actual cabinet and there's nowhere we could move it to. I like it where it is but it just looks weird now.

Also I heard people getting aquariums for entertainment centers but out aquarium is in our bedroom and I'm not moving it (DS likes to try to climb in or catch the fish or throw stuff in it).

Any ideas??

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#2 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM

1) Turn it into a play kitchen for your children

2) Make it into a craft station and hang cork-board in the back to display artwork
#3 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

i would basically put some kind of toys there or make it a play area of some sort. that's what it's going to be anyway from the sound of it!
#4 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 PM

It looks to me like the backing is some kind of thin particle board--easy to remove. I'd take it off to get rid of the odd shaped hole the TV left, then head to the hardware store for a piece of wood and a couple shelf brackets and put up two more shelves inside the space. They may not match the other shelf exactly, but I think you can get it close enough that it looks great once you put items on the shelf. Then add books, glassware, baskets with toys, art supplies, whatever fits your needs.
#5 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

The play kitchen is good but they already have one...

I love the cork board idea to cover up the back. Even if we don't put anything up, that's a good way to cover it up.

I know! Maybe I could make a little train scenario for DS for his train track that he's going to get for his birthday in a few weeks. We don't have a train table or anything so that might work out well.

I love the ideas, please keep them coming.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#6 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Oh, one other thing you could do, is to hang some kind of tapestry/cloth in the back where the TV was and make the space into an alter or nature table if you're into that kind of thing.
#7 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM

I like the play kitchen idea. Maybe a stereo system? Or you could build shelves to put in it and make it a bookcase.

joy.giflurk.gif

#8 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treespeak View Post
It looks to me like the backing is some kind of thin particle board--easy to remove. I'd take it off to get rid of the odd shaped hole the TV left, then head to the hardware store for a piece of wood and a couple shelf brackets and put up two more shelves inside the space. They may not match the other shelf exactly, but I think you can get it close enough that it looks great once you put items on the shelf. Then add books, glassware, baskets with toys, art supplies, whatever fits your needs.
Ooh! Good idea...then it doesn't scream "A TV SHOULD LIVE HERE!!"
#9 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 AM

Actually, I given the awkward shape that just kind of screams TV! I would either donate it or try to sell it on Craig's List. I know you said you didn't want to get rid of it, but it's an imposing piece and something like low shelves (a 4x2 Expedit from Ikea or similar) might be a lot more functional.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#10 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 AM

I agree it screams TV and you'd be better off selling or donating it. But if you did want to keep it, perhaps it could be a puppet theater?
#11 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'd really like to keep it. It's not sentimental or anything but it does a great job filling up the space there. If I got shelves I'd actually have to put things into the shelves - and we have nothing that we need to home. If that makes sense. Our living room is bare except for that and a couch and the fireplace you see there, and a Lazyboy. And what's most important is that I can keep heavy potted plants on the top of it without there being the slightest worry that it will tip or that the kids will climb it or anything. Our living room is an awkward, narrow, two story high space, so low shelves would make it look even taller IMO. And that corner is directly visible from pretty much our whole house (the upstairs, the kitchen, dining room area, etc.) it's like the center of attention, so I like having a heavy, sturdy piece to anchor it all. If that makes sense - again!

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#12 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Could you add doors to the front so that it doesn't just look like an empty entertainment center?

#13 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Personally, I would sell it and get a more appropriate piece for the new function of the living room that fulfilled your "anchoring" desires.

However, since you have stated several times that you wish to keep it, here are some ideas:

~ Create a play theater by removing more of the back, pull the unit out from the wall enough for your children to fit back there, and put up a tension rod and stage curtain.

~ Put a piece of kid-friendly art against the back and let the kids play there.

~ Speaking of art, maybe turn this into the spot where each child's favorite piece of "art" could hang for a week. It is at their eye level and at the adult's eye level when sitting on a sofa. Put up a sturdier back... maybe a fabric-covered memo board or a solid colored board of some kind (ready-made or custom-made by you or DH), so no matching is necessary.

~ A mini train table could be interesting. Maybe put up a solid back that you paint a scene on (country scene or city scene or whatever would flow in your home). If this piece of furniture means anything to you, setting a new board of some kind on top of the wood opening will prevent damage. You could also paint that to match the scene of the backdrop.

Whatever you do could be switched out as your children grow.....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#14 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM

if your couch is facing the fireplace, ideally i think it would be nice to get rid of this and replace it with a big chair and ottoman.

however, if you really want to keep it, i love your trainscape idea! i think it would look great with some fabric boxes or baskets on the upper shelf.

(btw, my dh does the same thing, with stashing things on top of high furniture, the fridge, etc to keep it away from the kids. it kind of drives me nuts, but there aren't many places our kids can't get to!)
#15 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM

I made mine into a fermentation cabinet.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#16 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to post photos of the living room to see what everyone has to say - maybe there's a better way to put it all together. The problem is we have no cash to spend on furniture right now so preeeetty much what you see is what you've got. But I'd like some tips anyway if anyone has them. I'll be back later tonight to post those.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#17 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
I made mine into a fermentation cabinet.
Really? Is that anything special or just a dark cabinet you don't touch?

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#18 of 27 Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM

hold on my hard drive recently crashed... I'm having to re-install picasa to be able to show you what I've done.

will share pictures.

#19 of 27 Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM

let me see if this will work...

#20 of 27 Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM

okay it worked for me, hope you can see it too.

My cabinet does have doors on it, but I would hang a sheet or a pretty tapestry over yours if I were to convert that.

it's only one idea to entertain
my hubby is happy to have the counter space back in the kitchen.

#21 of 27 Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey-lilac View Post
I love the cork board idea to cover up the back. Even if we don't put anything up, that's a good way to cover it up.
Cork is not environmentally sound. If you care about deforestation issues, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
~ Create a play theater by removing more of the back, pull the unit out from the wall enough for your children to fit back there, and put up a tension rod and stage curtain.

~ A mini train table could be interesting. Maybe put up a solid back that you paint a scene on (country scene or city scene or whatever would flow in your home). If this piece of furniture means anything to you, setting a new board of some kind on top of the wood opening will prevent damage. You could also paint that to match the scene of the backdrop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
let me see if this will work...

I wish mine had a proper place like that.

Another idea, is to rip out the the back, an upholster the shelf. Then I would move it in front of a window, to create a little reading/window seat for the wee ones.
#22 of 27 Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkCedar View Post
Cork is not environmentally sound. If you care about deforestation issues, anyway.
But you can find cork boards at thrift stores a lot or make one from reused wine corks.

#23 of 27 Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
But you can find cork boards at thrift stores a lot or make one from reused wine corks.
I was actually saving up my own corks for that, but then I found a knitting pattern to turn corks into little gnomes... and I did.
#24 of 27 Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkCedar View Post
I was actually saving up my own corks for that, but then I found a knitting pattern to turn corks into little gnomes... and I did.
Cute!

#25 of 27 Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM

I'd add some cute curtains with a spring rod and use it as toy storage.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#26 of 27 Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
if your couch is facing the fireplace, ideally i think it would be nice to get rid of this and replace it with a big chair and ottoman.
#27 of 27 Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM

i would add shelves and store books. baskets on the bottom shelf with kids toys. or get rid of it. i agree it screams TV.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page