What can I use in the dishwasher besides detergent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to handwash everything. I use Seventh Generation detergent right now and I'm happy with that. Our water is soft enough that I've only ever had to use about half the recommended amount. BUT, I would prefer to use something cheaper that I might already have on hand. Suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 PM

SOME stuff will come clean with just the hot water. If I have pots that need a good cleaning but don't have cooked on food, I sometimes put them in with just the hot water. I find that detergent pits my stainless cookware so other than those hot water "rinses" I don't put them in the dishwasher. My Corelle dishes and glass glasses often just need water as well.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Lately, white vinegar is doing a better job on our dishes than detergent!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 PM

I make my own dishwashing & laundry detergents. The recipe I use for is below. I already had citric acid for soap making, but it can usually be found in most pharmacies. I don't remember where I found this recipe, but I've been using it for a while now and have no complaints.

* 1 C Baking Soda
* 1C Borax
* 1/2 C Salt
* 1/4 C Citric Acid Powder
* Citrus Essential Oils (I use orange oil).

Mix everything except the essential oil in a jar with a lid. Add the oil a few drops at a time. I usually add 10-15 drops. I take a knife blade and break up the essential oil a bit where it has pooled, then shake the closed jar until it is completely mixed.

Then, I put about half a tablespoon in the detergent cup & wash as usual. I put white vinegar in the rinse thingy. The next time I make it, I plan to make a really small batch and leave out the borax just to see how it turns out.

knitting, sewing, crafting, homeschooling mommy of 3 daughters & wife to my beloved husband
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 AM

I put 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda in a jar with a few drops of lemon EO in a jar and shake it up. I think it has to be washing soda, but I have never tried it with baking soda. I hear if you use baking soda instead it leaves a white residue.

Super easy, I love it.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM

We tried baking soda once and it left a serious white powder residue on everything.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
We tried baking soda once and it left a serious white powder residue on everything.
This happened with me, as well. I tried this method for a good month, at two different houses (with two different dishwashers).

In regards to using vinegar, do you just fill up the detergent cup with plain vinegar? I will have to try this method as I like to most often use vinegar for cleaning.

I too use Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel. We have rather hard water and this cleaner works very well (and I don't fill the cup up all the way either). If you use the subscribe and save through Amazon, this product is quite affordable. I cancel the automatic shipment after I receive the order as a case (of 6 bottles) will last my family about a year (I run the dishwasher most everyday, too).

http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Genera...8252691&sr=8-9

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Well if you do find something cheaper, I only hope it cleans your dishes properly too. I was about to suggest baking soda but someone posted that it left white residue all over, when they tried it.

Worlds Best Mom
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 AM

We have had some challenges with our dishwasher lately. We literally cleaned the seal and all over the inside of the dishwasher. It LOOKED clean, but we found all kinds of gunk hiding under the bottom edge of the door (inside) and in some other unseen spots. Then, we poured about a cup of white vinegar into the machine and ran it with glasses and china and stainless utensils. The china can go in the dishwasher a few times a year, but not on a daily basis. It was just regular dirty from a holiday dinner. The silverware had spots and ick plus normal dirty. The glasses had all sorts of crud on them! :ick Everything came out SPARKLING!!!!!

We've been using about half the detergent in the closed cup (none in the open cup) and pouring about 1/2 - 1 cup of white vinegar into the machine. Everything is coming out soooo much cleaner!!!!

The rinse compartment is too small for us to see a difference when filling it with vinegar. Our d/w is 8-9 years old. I don't know how it may compare to newer rinse compartment sizes....

Old 04-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunnyboo View Post
I make my own dishwashing & laundry detergents. The recipe I use for is below. I already had citric acid for soap making, but it can usually be found in most pharmacies. I don't remember where I found this recipe, but I've been using it for a while now and have no complaints.

* 1 C Baking Soda
* 1C Borax
* 1/2 C Salt

Mix everything except the essential oil in a jar with a lid. Add the oil a few drops at a time. I usually add 10-15 drops. I take a knife blade and break up the essential oil a bit where it has pooled, then shake the closed jar until it is completely mixed.

Then, I put about half a tablespoon in the detergent cup & wash as usual. I put white vinegar in the rinse thingy. The next time I make it, I plan to make a really small batch and leave out the borax just to see how it turns out.
Mama - do you use this recipe for both your laundry and your dishwasher?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunnyboo View Post

* 1 C Baking Soda
* 1C Borax
* 1/2 C Salt

Thanks! I'm going to try that.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:19 PM

great thread

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post
I put 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda in a jar with a few drops of lemon EO in a jar and shake it up. I think it has to be washing soda, but I have never tried it with baking soda. I hear if you use baking soda instead it leaves a white residue.

Super easy, I love it.
I did this recipe & my dishes are covered with the white film. It is really hard to get off without hand washing everything. How do you not have the film?
I used washing soda & borax.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:25 AM

Weird. I've been doing this for a couple months now and have never had a film. I do put white vinegar in the rinse cup, maybe that makes a difference?

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post
Weird. I've been doing this for a couple months now and have never had a film. I do put white vinegar in the rinse cup, maybe that makes a difference?
I do the vinegar too. I know we have really hard water...maybe that is the difference?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 PM

We use baking soda & it doesn't leave a powder. We don't use a lot, just a teaspoon or two, and the dishes come out cleaner than any commercial detergent we tried. We also put vinegar in the other spot (the rinse aid or whatever it is) -- well I THINK we put the vinegar in, DH usually does the dishes so I'm not positive if he does that every time!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I've tried different borax/baking soda mixtures including with a vinegar rinse. I got MAJOR white film that just built up with every wash. To get rid of it it took several washes through the dishwasher with a commercial dishwashing detergent. I just buy the greenest one I can now. Dishwasher detergent is not worth the amount of stress & work the homemade stuff was causing me & I REALLY wanted it to work.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

User Tag List