No closets, family of 6, what to do with bathrobes, jackets etc... ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are soon to be a family of 6. We have 1 BIR upstairs in our master bedroom that we use as a family closet, so everybody's clothes are in our room. That works well.

I'm having trouble downstairs, though. We don't have a hallway or entryway or mudroom or anything like that. You walk in our front door and end up in the living room. To the left is a family room. To the right is a guestroom.

Backpacks go on hooks in the family room. Shoes and hats go in a drawer in the guestroom. Raincoats go on hooks in the bathroom.

I have no idea what to do with our bathrobes, which are very bulky, and our jackets as there is no closet downstairs and no place to put a wardrobe. Hubby also needs a place to strip off his suit and hang it when he walks in the door.

I'm pretty much out of space to put any more hooks, and I'm not 100% crazy about seeing our stuff hanging all over the house anyway.

My eldest is only 5, so I need a system that's easily accessible for little ones.

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

i think that i would look at the furnishing of the living room and see if i could switch anything out such as switch out a TV center or book case for a wardrobe.

or, do the same in the family room.

or, combine the living room and family room (that is, instead of having two rooms for 'living'. . .have one room that is for living), and then use one of those rooms as a "mud room"--wardrobe for coats, books, shoes, hats, etc.

or, keep the two family rooms, and use the guest room for that purpose.

it might be that you jsut have to reconsider how you have used and decorated certain rooms, you know?

if you don't have guests a lot, then eat the guest room. if you only use the living room once a month or something, then eat the living room (or make it the family room and eat the family room).

think about how you really use those rooms, recognizing tht your house needs to work for you 365, not how it works for your guest the 30 or so days that they may be there.

and i'll be honest, if you have guests frequently (and we did in the past), then a guest room *is* essential, so that leaves the LR or FR up for grabs. so, i'm not trying to put down any kind of lifestyle here.

just, see what you have, what you can let go of, and thereby what you can use for your family.

good luck!
#3 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Zoebird.

Our family room used to be 2 rooms -- a nursery / playroom, and a study / mudroom with BIR. But both rooms were small and didn't get used for playing or studying as the kids would just follow us around and then we'd all trip over each other. So we knocked down the wall, which unfortunately meant losing the BIR.

Our new family room has a sofa, a craft table (for kids' pasting, painting etc...), a desk (for my computer and paperwork), a dining nook (stores board games and puzzles and such, and will eventually be used for homework), some bookshelves (for books and toys) and lots of floor space, which is essential as I have 3 boys who like to wrestle and drive cars around and stuff.

Our living room is our library, media room, and entertaining space. I have a big chest coffee table that stores a LOT of stuff, and there are boxes with some puzzles and things, but in general, it's a quiet, grown-up space where we all get together to read, listen to music, or just chat. It's a pretty small room, and took a while for me to turn it into a workable space.

Our guestroom gets used often as all our relatives live out of state or overseas, so when they come to stay, they're here for weeks at a time. My children use it for napping, and DH and I put the baby down in there so that he's near us until we go upstairs to bed at the end of the night. It's an odd-shaped room as there used to be a fireplace on an angle in the corner, one side is taken up with a window, another side has the door, and a 3rd side is a very shallow space before you hit the doorway and fireplace corner. So it's really hard to fit any furniture in here without making it horribly cramped and claustrophobic.

We did look at converting our front porch into a sunroom / mudroom, but the cost knocked that idea on the head.
#4 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Have you looked at Ikea? They have a lot of furniture that can organize and do double duty. Maybe you can put together one of their modular systems that has hanging space , and the rest can be used as an entertainment center, bookcase, etc. You might put it in the guest room.
#5 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

yeah, it's tough when you are using every room in the best ways humanly possible! i uderstand how that can work.

would a coat rack fit anywhere? more hooks where the book-bag hooks are for the coats? hooks behind the bedroom doors for robes and such (we don't go for those things around here).

i'm wondering if the family room could handle "industrial" styled lockers? then you could put coats, bookbags, etc in those. here, you can get six used lockers (three on top and three on bottom) for about $150 used. just another thought (though it is a piece of furniture).
#6 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 PM

I have my bathrobe on a hook behind my bathroom door. For the coat and hat type stuff I would get a big armoire to put it in. My Mom has no coat closet so she bought a narrow armoire with a rod in it so she can hang up coats. Below are drawers for hats and gloves.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#7 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For the coat and hat type stuff I would get a big armoire to put it in. My Mom has no coat closet so she bought a narrow armoire with a rod in it so she can hang up coats. Below are drawers for hats and gloves.
I can only fit one small armoire, so I have one in the guestroom and it is used to house every single pair of shoes, boots, slippers etc... along with belts, purses, hats and baby slings. No more room for jackets and such.

mmmomx2, I know the IKEA systems you're talking about, and we could theoretically get one, but it would mean having to replace a fair amount of furniture and a biggish financial outlay, whereas I'm looking for a simpler -- cheaper! -- solution.

Quote:
would a coat rack fit anywhere? more hooks where the book-bag hooks are for the coats? hooks behind the bedroom doors for robes and such (we don't go for those things around here).
No room for a coat rack. I could theoretically fit another row of hooks next to backpacks for coats and / or kids' bathrobes but since it's on full display, I'm looking for ways to avoid having all that visual clutter. As for hooks behind doors, we took off most of our internal doors to make more useable floor and wall space!

Quote:
i'm wondering if the family room could handle "industrial" styled lockers? then you could put coats, bookbags, etc in those. here, you can get six used lockers (three on top and three on bottom) for about $150 used. just another thought (though it is a piece of furniture).
Hm, I could potentially get some of these for raincoats, boots, and jackets and put them out on the front porch...
#8 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 11:08 PM

You don't have a garage do you?

What about taking one of those canvas show holders and screwing it to a wall somewhere and moving the shoes to make more room. We hang our coats, backpacks and hats, gloves & scarves on 1 double hook each. My dd's backpack isn't huge though. We put the jackets over the backpacks and a canvas bag that holds each person's hats, gloves, scarf, etc.. Can shoes go under beds in storage boxes?

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#9 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 AM

Your little place sounds super cozy. I want pictures!

I have no advice though, this is an issue that I need to address as well. 6 people, four seasons, tiny living space, zero storage capacity.

I've really got to get on it actually...
#10 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

PinkCedar, it's actually not that small a house. Our bedrooms are huge, so we all sleep upstairs and have the downstairs as living space. But it was originally a warren-like cottage that has since been opened up a bit, so there are a few odd corners and half walls and things like that.

Really, the only issue is the complete lack of storage. And I'm the sort to throw stuff out and keep floor space before I'll give up a wall for storage furniture, although we have put in lots of shelves and hooks and whatnot.

If we didn't have a million books, we'd have ample room for wardrobes, but books are my 5th baby and I refuse to part with any!

The kitchen / dining is actually a large space as well, but instead of being practical and using it for storage, I put another sofa and bookcase in there. I think I secretly want to live in a coffee house or bookstore! : No, really, I just love seeing people curled up all the over my house cuddling and reading wherever they happen to be.

Mkksmom, what's a canvas show holder?
#11 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 02:43 AM

We spent a year in a house on a temp job that was similar. Really odd layout. Huge (useless) master bedroom - nice closet, freakishly awkward small master bath. Dinky bedroom, then another normal sized bedroom. The kitchen had space for a large table, but poor cabinet space, then this huge windowless dinning room that remained empty our full year. Downstairs bath was ok, and the living room was just right. Oh, and it had a skinny room just off of the foyer. Just uncomfortable to live in, frankly.

Yeah, we have no storage space either. I live in a 30ft. by 30ft. space. From food to clothes, it is not going well. But honestly, it's just my own fault. I don't mind hooks and shelves out in the open, it' just that I'd rather read or knit, than build shelves. I really am going to attack it this spring though. Right now I'm a stacker. My house is neat, but everything is in a neat stack. But then, we never have company, so I feel no pressure. But it's almost been three years, I've got to fix it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page