Spring Cleaning! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's that time of year again!! Warmer temperatures, lots of , time to clean & purge!

I have 3 closets, too-many-to-count cupboards, tons of clothes, and books to get cleaned out & organized. There are too many boots, coats, and kids' clothes in here.

I want an organized house, and I'm determined to get one !

Who's with me????

#2 of 50 Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm in! After 10 years of being at home with my dd's I am returning to work and want to purge as well!

2 closets and a storeroom downstairs to organize, cd's and dvd's to go through, and overall donate/sell anything that is not useful to us. I would like to do this all this week while the girls are home from school.
#3 of 50 Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM

me! me!

we have had some springy weather but it is currently snowing.. but it could be "really excited about spring cleaning" for me

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 50 Old 03-09-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm 36.5 weeks pregnant and feeling 'nesty' ! I'd really love to just get everything really clean. The carpets are looking awful. I'd like to go through my bedroom closets too. Everything else I've kept up on pretty well.

Oh - and I'd like baby to arrive so I can finally know the gender and either pack up the pink dresses or the blue suits!

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#5 of 50 Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM

Me!

I am definitely feeling spring , and the need for a cleaner, more organized atmosphere! I am determined to clean out the clutter in closets, cupboards, dressers, and the basement. I'm making piles/bags/boxes for keeping, salvation army, and trade for a children's store (with some toys, clothes, old carriers, etc.) and trade for a women's store (with clothes, purses, shoes, etc.).

With all of that being said...I am not (yet) very motivated today.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#6 of 50 Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Glad others want to join in !

I haven't started yet, but this weekend is going to be busy cleaning. I'm starting with my dresser & my half of the closet. That should keep me busy for awhile .

#7 of 50 Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM

I am actually just about finished with my spring cleaning.... But, that is only because I started rather early.

*Carpet cleaning (early next week)

*Clean out the gutters (this weekend)

*I have already sorted through DH's, DD's, and my clothing. I have to finish removing a few stains and everything will be donated tomorrow.

*The kitchen cabinets and pantry have been culled. Donations have already been dropped off.

*Toys have been thoroughly sorted. A few were sold... while the rest were donated.

*DD helped me pack away several baby books.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#8 of 50 Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Well, it wasn't in my game plan at all but I totally cleared out the kids room last night. DP helped me rearrange the furniture today. The kids are currently wiping down the furniture that is left in the room, then I'll go in and vacuum and shampoo the rugs. Then, we are going to go through ALL of the stuff in their room - I'm hoping to declutter about half of it.

#9 of 50 Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 PM

I started yesterday. Actually, I'm doing a combination of Spring cleaning and nesting for this babe next month.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#10 of 50 Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! Congrats on the progress Ladies !! Can't wait to share mine when I'm done!

#11 of 50 Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 PM

well I got 2 closets cleaned out, photos caught up to date and some put in albums, still want to get my kitchen and panty tied and organized...except we are experiencing the best skiing this season so cleaning has been put on hold for awhile...
#12 of 50 Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Me too! Even though it's snowing here at the moment . I'm actually considering hiring someone do to my spring cleaning for me, but I will still need to do some serious decluttering.

The kids' stuff is the hardest! We have tons of clothes and toys, and I want to save some stuff for any new babies (hopefully!) but don't want to go over the top. My fabric stash is another challenge.

Help! How do you decide what stays and what goes?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#13 of 50 Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I didn't get anything done this weekend, but I'm going to try hard this week, and for surely next weekend.

#14 of 50 Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Me too! Even though it's snowing here at the moment . I'm actually considering hiring someone do to my spring cleaning for me, but I will still need to do some serious decluttering.

The kids' stuff is the hardest! We have tons of clothes and toys, and I want to save some stuff for any new babies (hopefully!) but don't want to go over the top. My fabric stash is another challenge.

Help! How do you decide what stays and what goes?

I have to have space for something to stay. It also has to be something I use, something I know I will use, something that may be hard or expensive to replace. I did my fabrics about a year ago. I got rid of over half (I don't sew much to be honest). I got rid of all the scraps and only saved fabrics I loved or had a concrete plan for. I did the same with my yarn (much larger stash). I also make a point to shop out of my stash before I buy anything new now. And everything has to stay organized, if it gets too overwhelming I consider culling again.

#15 of 50 Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyMomma View Post
I have to have space for something to stay. It also has to be something I use, something I know I will use, something that may be hard or expensive to replace. I did my fabrics about a year ago. I got rid of over half (I don't sew much to be honest). I got rid of all the scraps and only saved fabrics I loved or had a concrete plan for. I did the same with my yarn (much larger stash). I also make a point to shop out of my stash before I buy anything new now. And everything has to stay organized, if it gets too overwhelming I consider culling again.
So when you cull your stash, what does that mean? Do you bring it to goodwill or something, or just throw it? I find there is so much that I am keeping simply because I think it is a shame to throw it out, even though I don't want the stuff personally.

I completely cleaned and organized my bedroom, and decluttered, reorganized and cleaned the kitchen! I still have lots to do, but I feel quite pleased!

Where are you all? What have you done recently?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#16 of 50 Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM

I need to go through the kids clothes again. They're growing.

I cleaned most of the carpets. Then it rained and DH let them go through red clay and tromp it on my freshly cleaned WHITE carpets.

So I will be re-cleaning all of our carpets. Our house is around 3000SF, so cry with me.

I have a large box in the trunk to go to Goodwill and I've been culling things as I go.

I need to check out the pantry. I am finally getting past the morning sickness so looking into the pantry shouldn't kill me.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#17 of 50 Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM

I want to join in but man oh days, I am stuck, stuck, stuck right now.

While such a tiny step, maybe I will try to get one trash bag out of the junk room today.

Stayed tuned.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#18 of 50 Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM

im going to get some things done today. i don't know what yet, but whatever it is i will start & complete. im set on it.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#19 of 50 Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM

I've been at it for a while, but my current project is obsolete media. My dh has boxes of vhs tapes and boxes of LPs that take up far too much space. The LPs he's not willing to budge on (even though he's only played three or four records since we met). The vhs tapes, however, are going to be digitized and tossed or just tossed. We also have about 300 CDs that are going to go into CD binders so I can get rid of the jewel cases and save lots of space. Finally there are about 30 DVDs that we will either put in a binder or copy to our external harddrive and then donate. We also recently got rid of two non-functional VCRs. I did the books a few weeks ago.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#20 of 50 Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
So when you cull your stash, what does that mean? Do you bring it to goodwill or something, or just throw it? I find there is so much that I am keeping simply because I think it is a shame to throw it out, even though I don't want the stuff personally.

I completely cleaned and organized my bedroom, and decluttered, reorganized and cleaned the kitchen! I still have lots to do, but I feel quite pleased!

Where are you all? What have you done recently?
All the fabric (minus scraps - I threw those out) I gave to a friend. All the yarn went to a childrens home that has a crochet program and a local nursing home (I had at least 3 garbage bags of yarn to get rid of). I also donated some yarn during the Holiday Helpers here at MDC.

I haven't done much recently. I need to get my bum in gear though - baby will be here in 10 days!! Yikes! And what will baby think if my carpets aren't shamppooed???

#21 of 50 Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyMomma View Post
Yikes! And what will baby think if my carpets aren't shamppooed???

#22 of 50 Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM

I started some spring cleaning too
Spent about 3 hours on the living room Friday night. I dusted places that I rarely visit, swept cobwebs from the ceiling. Completely washed down all the walls and baseboards. Took everything off the shelves and cleaned! The room smells so fresh and totally needed an overhaul! Now the rest of the house....lol!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#23 of 50 Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Timely thread! I have been working on spring-cleaning and decluttering our whole house.
I cleaned out our garage on Saturday and it looks amazing. It was a total wreck before (stuff everywhere just thrown around!), so the before/after is incredible!
And DH keeps going in there just to look at it, so that makes me feel good It was a beautiful day outside, so I opened the garage, let the kids play in the driveway and I got to watch them play *and* I was productive, so it was a win-win. We all slept really well on Saturday night
I sorted all of the baby clothes, hand-me-downs, etc. and we now have one small bin for each size, labeled, and stacked neatly on shelves in the corner of the garage. I got rid of a lot but I think I really could pare it down even more at some point.
I also tackled my laundry room, which was ridiculous. I put some nice hand-me-downs in a box for my nephew and gathered a few trash bags *full* of clothes for donation.
I'm on a roll, but I need to put it on hold, since I have class and clinical coming up over the next few days (nursing school) and then some studying for an upcoming exam, so I won't get to finish this project for another two weeks or so. Ugh. I just want to finish the house, it's really starting to look so good!
I still have to:
-finish the last corner of my laundry room (sorting, putting away)
-pack away the winter coats
-start to pull out the spring/summer things and make a list of what the kids still need to round out their warm-weather wardrobes
-drop off the bags at Goodwill/or another such place
-shampoo all the carpets
-clean out the fridge
-plant my flower garden with dd
-wash all of the bedding in the house & pack away winter quilts
-get the kids to sort through their toy boxes to see if there is anything we can send to Goodwill. The toyboxes are looking a little full.
-go through *my* closet and see if there is anything that I can get rid of. If I don't love it or it's not flattering, it's GONE.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#24 of 50 Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I found out the kids are on Spring Break next week from school, so that will be our Spring Cleaning Week. Can't wait to get it done!

#25 of 50 Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

I am not doing well.. I have pretty bad morning sickness right now (7 weeks along) and I cant seem to get anything extra done.. i am really hoping it passes quickly! Ii have much to do...outside things seem to be much easier, so we have been gardening at the community garden quite a bit... kind of spring cleaning i guess..

Quote:

#26 of 50 Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM

This is the first spring in three years that I have not been pregnant and I'm finally back in my pre-preg clothes, so we went through our closets. Between the five of us we gathered up 15 grocery bags of clothes to donate! So, that's our spring cleaning for the year!!!! Now, to not get pregnant again....

s momsling.GIF - JW asl.gif writing geek.gif wifey to j aaman.gif  (11/03) and cd.gif  homeschool.gif  knit.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif mommy to s dreads.gif (10/04), l kewl.gif (8/08), j diaper.gif (8/09), and little s boc.gif (12/12)

#27 of 50 Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM

I'm in!

Here's where I'm at:

1. Our Room -- done
2. Girls' Room -- done
3. Upstairs Bathroom -- done
4. Baby's Room -- done
5. Hall Closet -- done
6. Playroom -- done
7. Kitchen --
8. Living Room --
9. Downstairs Bedroom --
10. Filing Cabinet --
11. Garage --
12. Outside Shed --

I have five places to take things this afternoon: return books to school, take book donations to the library, Goodwill, and drop three things off that belong to friends at their houses.

My plan is to take things away from our home as soon as I can so the bags of cleaned out items aren't languishing in our garage.

#28 of 50 Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM

1. Our Room -- done
2. Girls' Room -- done
3. Upstairs Bathroom -- done
4. Baby's Room -- done
5. Hall Closet -- done
6. Playroom -- done
7. Living Room -- done
8. Kitchen --
9. Downstairs Bedroom -- done
10. Filing Cabinet --
11. Garage --
12. Outside Shed --

My goal for today: Do the Kitchen. Once I'm done with that, I'm moving on to the garage.

#29 of 50 Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Love your list C*V*M!! I will start mine & update it as well!!

#30 of 50 Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Spring Cleaning

1. My clothes - DONE
2. Kids' clothes
3. My closet - DONE
4. Girls' closet
5. Lower kitchen cupboards
6. Pantry - DONE
7. Toys
8. Master bathroom - DONE
9. Walls - DONE
10. Windows - DONE
11. Floors - DONE
12. Dusting ceiling fans & pictures - DONE

And the boys will take care of their closets and rooms. I'm so lucky to have such awesome, helpful kids!! Shouldn't take too long to get it all done!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page