Mid-March/April Challenge STORAGE!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 83 Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...Rules are as follows:

1) You must post at least once a week. I don't care if it's your To Do List, Done List, or just a "I'm still working on it" post. Pictures are encouraged!

2) You must decide on a reward for yourself and then follow through when you kick clutter butt!

3) "Storage" is however you define it. An extra storage room (like my apt offers), closets, attics, basements, drawers, cabinets, pantries, etc...

We'll begin on March 14th and End on April 30th. Everyone is encouraged to participate! The goal is to get rid of as much STUFF as possible and reorganize the stuff you keep.

Did I leave anything out?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 83 Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I like your "I'm still working on it" option !

... have been "working on" packing back the ski stuff ... for about 3 weeks now, and the 3 rubbermaid boxes are still hanging around the flat !
I did spend a good hour this morning looking at everything we didn't use the year, putting away what I 'll be giving and throwing away what was past it, as well as re-bagging what we did use this year.

was going to get it to go to the cellar tonight ... but the one item left that I wanted one of the children to try on after school ... got splashed with water and I don't want to pack it now because I'm worried it will be moldy if stored wet !

there are so many things that I need to organise, sort through and store properly .... not sure I'll be able to report on it weekly though because there seem to be a lot of emotional issues holding me back.

I'll TRY !
#3 of 83 Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned

I'm in!
We have a small living space, and need to cut down on the clutter.
My goals are to get rid of everything we don't need, put everything we will need into storage shed, and organize what we have... ....

So far I have 1. decided to put things on freecycle... so I need to actually do that, and get it out of here!

2. cleaned out the kids closet, packed unneeded clothes. Need: to finish getting "stored" clothes out of closet. And get rid of clothes in storage to make room.

3. Clean out the closet in mine and dhs room. in general get stuff out that we don't need and organize.

4. Go through my own clothing. Have been pragnant/nursing and going up and down in size for 4 years. I need to get out unneeded, and make sure everything fits me

5. Get rid of all these (extra) toys!!!!!!!!!! There are so many they just end up on the floor

6. Major Goal: I would like to find homes for all the stuff I'm getting rid of. Whether it be to donate, give to friends/fam, make something with, sell or trade. I don't want anything (unless useless) to go in the trash
#4 of 83 Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM

I normally join these types of challenges. They always help me in some way!

This particular challenge, however, falls during our really busy time and I'll have to pass this time. May will be calmer around here and I can join a challenge then.

Best wishes everyone!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 83 Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

our situation right now is that we don't have a lot of stuff, but we do have a lot of papers that we need to organize for our business (at our business and at home) and for our home finances (at home).

So, i'm going to take the challenge (and try to update daily) to talk about what needs to be done and whether or not i'm accomplishing it.

Of course, paperwork is always an on-going process, so it's always "i'm working on it." but i can set discernable goals. I'll make a list and get it rolling tomorrow.
#6 of 83 Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 PM

I'm in for this challenge

Pre-Step:
*Clean up the house so that I can easily get to the storage areas and organize them and declutter what we don't need

Once that is done:
*Attic
-take down all bins/bags and go through them and get rid of what we don't need
-categorize what is left so we can easily find things

*Storage Closet
-find new summer home outside for strollers/wagon etc
-move out all winter gear
-organize/purge carriers

*Laundry Room
-declutter cupboards
-organize laundry supplies and equipment

*Decluttering
-sell or donate everything that we don't need anymore

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#7 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned

so, while it is still today, i can report on what i did get done.

Business

We have taken over the holistic health center now, and it is in terrible disarray. There is a lot more to do--goodness knows how long the list really is--but as for now, the biggest things to sort out is who is coming and going where. There are multiple practitioners who rent on an hourly, half-day, daily, or weekly basis. There are different practitioners who work the on-site business on various days. And there is no contact list.

So, today, I managed to compile a contact list for the most part organized by In-House and On-site practitioners. In-house is sub-organized by time; on-site by the client that they service.

I also completed a third-party vendor contact list and an on-site client list. the on-site client list document includes two tables--one for regular clients and one for one-time clients. Some of the one-time clients repeat each year or every other year--for example, the university hires our massage therapists to come around during exam time.

I've also managed to complete the basic procedure manual for the receptionists. There is more to come on this such as FAQ about the business, the individual therapists, and so on; and then our personal manuals on how various things are managed such as pricing lists for the business, etc; but for the most part, the basics are neatly housed in both computer form, thumb drive as a back up, and a print copy.

This, then, allowed me to declutter those papers that no longer make sense in the binders (this business is a mess, i can't even tell you--everything hand-done, things forgotten, etc), kept the things that i have a question about and asked the relevant persons to follow up, and then put the new print copies in the binder for future reference.

As far as the space for the business goes, i do think i'll have to institute a group-wide declutter of the space and talk about proper organization. Each person has "moved in" to their room, and most of them have a lot of clutter. So, we will have to work on that.

Beyond that, there are still a number of things to organize--the flood that happened in January has insurance-covered work happening over the next 4 weeks and we have to follow up with when and which furnishings are going to be replaced. I still need to work on the accounting aspects to make sure that those are clear and easy to read (though I have an appointment with the accountant on the 23rd, so i'm arranging child care and then we will go forward from there with that aspect). I have to come up with certain procedures for the business such as Gift Vouchers and the like.

Still a long list. It will extend long beyond April.

Home

Because we came over with so little, we really don't have all that much to worry about. I do need to go through our financials since we arrived--essentially organizing receipts and checking them against our books. Right now, i just have them all compiled in one envelope, and i'd like to get them properly categorized, double checked with our accounts, and then properly stored.

Our new bed arrived today--the installation team comes this evening around 6 to set it up for us. This means that i need to find a home for our air mattress and the bedding that goes with it, as the air mattress is a queen and the bed is a king. I've already washed the sheets for the new bed so that we can sleep in it tonight; tomorrow, i'm going to get the mattress protector that i found at the organic shop! It's wool. 100% NZ wool in fact. LOL our whole bed is organic, sustainable, biodegradable and recyclable (the springs in the mattress).

I also need to find jars for our dry goods. I don't use a lot of jarred food and such, so i can't just recycle. I'm looking for things that others are recycling on freecycle or trademe (NZ's craigs list cum ebay). Hopefully, i can find a lot of affordable glass jars. i do want to organize my cupboards and find adequate storage for the dry goods!

So, that's me for today. Better fold the laundry and prep for the installation team!
#8 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 03:18 AM

zoebird - I suggest you go to a local opshop (salvation army, red cross, St. Vincent de Paul). They usually have a box full of great old canning jars (Agee jars here) and then you can pick up the lids/rings at any grocery store.

That's what I did when I came to NZ, leaving my beloved pantry jars at home!

(back to lurking now. . . need to find a home to rent before I can organize it!)

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#9 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
well, I'm reporting today that the last item has dried overnight and been bagged this morning and put in the rubbermaid bin & hopefully the 3 bins will go in the cellar tonight.

now, part of my problem is that I spend too much time online researching "how to" and trying to get the motivation to do it ... my sleep suffer and then I find it easier to lurk on MDC rather than actively working on my to do list !!!!
#10 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's my challenge but I'm not starting until the weekend. I have some basic stuff to get caught up on before I add to the mix.

I'm glad this is taking hold!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#11 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm off to a great start with this challenge! (okay...so it kinda segues nicely with the work I've been doing with the 2010 decluttering thread but since I actually took pictures...figured I'd post them here!)

The storage space that held the most challenge for me was the bathroom closet...it was full to bursting with product that I hadn't used in YEARS...falling out of open bins that I'd tried to organize with in years previous, not taking into account that I live in the desert and things that aren't touched frequently get a nice layer of dust on them almost instantly. Once I got started, everything quickly spread out all over the floor and I almost gave up...having to take several breaks because it really was overwhelming. Finally though, after much purging (throwing away over 125 items) it is in great shape! I can see everything in there and the space is much more usable. The only things missing in the pictures is that I labeled each lidded container so that there is no question as to what goes where.

I'm so please with how this mini-project worked out...

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#12 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Ok well I guess I better join since I was the one who suggested closets but then that means I have to actually do the work.

#13 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok well I guess I better join since I was the one who suggested closets but then that means I have to actually do the work.
LOL Yep. I would have had to hunt you down!

#14 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

thanks durafima! i'll check one out. i've already gotten some from people moving out and not wanting them anymore.
#15 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM

This is perfect for me! I am cleaning out our "second mortgage" as the family has all decided to call it - our 10x20 storage unit.

We have had our house on the market for 3.5 years. 1.5 years ago, we decided to get a 10x10 unit to help our house look less cluttered. Then, last year the were offering the 10x20 unit for only $4 more a month so we moved down the hall. I had just started my store so I had inventory to keep somewhere (which is now overflowing in my living room while I regroup).

Now they want $60 more a month for this unit so we are cleaning out! We've decided that if we can live without this junk for 1.5 years, we don't really need most of it. The Christmas tree is in there so yes, some of the items are seasonal keepers but the majority of the personal items in there are going to the yard sale/goodwill/pregnancy center/craigslist/recycling/trash/consignment sale/homeschool supply sale - whichever is most appropriate.

I am also decluttering the house. All plastic drawers and plastic shelves are going. I will still use some plastic for the business inventory but the rest are going in the yard sale. I've been storing baskets so I will start using them where I had plastic bins/baskets/drawers (linen closet, toys).

Unhealthy food items (ritz crackers, sugary cereals) are going in the yard sale then the shelter if they don't sell.

I am selling our used homeschool materials that we no longer need at a sale our church offers in May. I am participating in a consignment sale at the end of this month and unloading some work inventory that is not selling well as well as a ton of baby and children's items we are storing in the unit.

I am going be working on this for my blog so I will share my updates here too. I will get some pictures up on here this weekend. That will be fun

Shop Suburban Tree Hugger
#16 of 83 Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Banned

Yay!
I had a very productive day. I went through the entire closet in mine/dhs room, as well as our armoire and got everything out that we don't need to hang on to. Got it all organized, as to what to do with everything and boxed up. Also got the house cleaned up in general, was kind of a mess.

So tomorrow. I will take pictures for about 10 swap packages and post to MDC in the ongoing reverse swap. Get the bagged clothing from the kids closet, go through it. Separate what doesn't need to be kept. In the space provided from that, will go some boxes with the flaps cut off, to make for shelves. And toys will go into the closet.

I also decided to post the furniture on craigslist to see if we could make a few bucks but no one responded, so tomorrow it goes on freecycle.

I probably shouldn't set anymore goals for tomorrow, other than to vaccum, because we are having some friends over for dinner.

Oh! Although I absolutely have to boil some diapers so I can send them off in the mail on Monday!
#17 of 83 Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
LOL Yep. I would have had to hunt you down!

I shouldn't have joked though.Yesterday I was forced into starting in the bathroom linen closet because my(thankfully clean)toilette overflowed right into the linen closet where a cardboard box full of soap was sitting on the floor.After cleaning that up I decided to keep going and I have a good size box of stuff to go.We have a tiny bathroom but it has lots of storage.That really doesn't mean I need to keep a ton of lotion that no one will ever use.

#18 of 83 Old 03-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Ok, it's really helping me get things done by posting here. To keep from posting every day I'm gonna set some goals for the next week.

What I got done today....
*kids closet FULLY organized...yay!
*13 packages posted to the reverse swap, with pics
* space created for things that need to get out of our house, many things put there(in organized fashion )
*listed our chair on freecycle

Things I want to get done in the next week:
*go through bags/boxes of kids clothes/post pardum/maternity and condense the "saved" clothes to 2 boxes max (shoes included)
*decide what to do with unneeded clothes/organize accordingly
*go through clothe diaper stash/separate unneeded
*get all the furniture on freecycle and out the door!
*make a "sentimental" box and pack away certain things
*take pics of crib bedding set and post for sale

And my reward when I'm (completely) done:
I saw a very pretty, gemstone garden flower at goodwill for $2. I'm going to buy now, so they don't sell out on me, and when done with complete organization, I can put it in my garden

Glad I came across this thread. Thanks AFWife and rere for the motivation
#19 of 83 Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
I'm off to a great start with this challenge! (okay...so it kinda segues nicely with the work I've been doing with the 2010 decluttering thread but since I actually took pictures...figured I'd post them here!)

The storage space that held the most challenge for me was the bathroom closet...it was full to bursting with product that I hadn't used in YEARS...falling out of open bins that I'd tried to organize with in years previous, not taking into account that I live in the desert and things that aren't touched frequently get a nice layer of dust on them almost instantly. Once I got started, everything quickly spread out all over the floor and I almost gave up...having to take several breaks because it really was overwhelming. Finally though, after much purging (throwing away over 125 items) it is in great shape! I can see everything in there and the space is much more usable. The only things missing in the pictures is that I labeled each lidded container so that there is no question as to what goes where.

I'm so please with how this mini-project worked out...
Nice!

#20 of 83 Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdiemama View Post

And my reward when I'm (completely) done:
I saw a very pretty, gemstone garden flower at goodwill for $2. I'm going to buy now, so they don't sell out on me, and when done with complete organization, I can put it in my garden
What a sweet reward!

#21 of 83 Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM

So I know it's not very exciting without before pics but I didn't think to grab my camera as the toilette was pouring gallons of water onto my floor.But here are a few after pics.Here's all that's under the sink.At one point this cabinet was stuffed.Here's the over the toilette cabinet.This was so full that stuff would fall out when the door was opened.And the linen closet.My bathroom is so small that I couldn't really get a good pic of it but you get the idea.There will be more towels in there but after the flood of 2010 I'm still working on getting them all cleaned and put away.

#22 of 83 Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

I need to take some before pics and post them...that's going on tomorrow's To Do List.

#23 of 83 Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM

Ok I'm posting a before shot to motivate me to create an after shot.Coat closet.

#24 of 83 Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Ok here is the after.I removed a speaker flight case,car seat,toy stroller and a toy shopping cart.I would like to go down to the basement now to clear out another storage area but I can't turn my head because my neck is hurting so much.So,I'm not sure moving heavy stuff around is a good idea.

#25 of 83 Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok I'm posting a before shot to motivate me to create an after shot.Coat closet.
What a wonderful closet ! ! !
#26 of 83 Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

no point in taking pictures of what i've been doing. LOL

this weekend, even though i took a lot of time off, we got a lot of things done.

first, the manual is completed and in it's editing cycle. we also re-did the budget to set when various bills will get paid and how (not a problem really, just setting it up that this bill gets paid on this day, that one on that one, and so on. basically, each monday of the month we pay a given bill. we only have four, so that keeps it simple.

i got a hold of the on-site business, and have submitted that to the practitioners who do it for them to edit it accordingly. it's missing a lot of information and they are the most informed an able to answer it.

also started to work on re-organizing the use of space in the practice, as well as scheduling, getting the yoga space up and running as a studio, and figuring out how the rental rates were (originally) determined. it seems like there was no real thought given to that process, because it gives 70% discounts to some, 20% to others, and 5% to others. it's bizarre. we aren't going to increase any rents unless taxes go up, but eventually it will have to be standardized.

DH took care of getting the personal finances organized. it's work he hates so he dilly-dallies, but i'm helping him out because i told him it was to help prep for taxes next year, and since i do that, he is happy to help me out with organizing it all now and getting it ready to go.

we also have to get our kiwi taxes together. their tax year is april 1 to mar 31, and we bought the business in this tax year (mar 5) and have all of the expenses that were in relation to that as part of the tax reporting, plus whatever comes in between 5 mar and 31 mar to report. it's not much, but we still have to organize it. Luckily, i see our kiwi accountant on Mar 23, and so i'll be able to get it all sorted properly for her.

so, we are moving along nicely.
#27 of 83 Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdiemama View Post
What a wonderful closet ! ! !
Yeah,we live in a small old house so it's amazing to have big closets.Although there is no closet in my daughter's bedroom.But the one in my bedroom more than makes up for that.

#28 of 83 Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM

This is a great idea! I will join!

I made a list of all places I am going to clean out and organize. I just went thru a "seasonal" cleaning up of things, so this should be easy since I am still in that mode.

We are pretty good about getting rid of things or passing on as we say but here is my list. Its mainly to pull out, clean storage area, discard and put back. Next Jan, we plan on doing Elfa in our dds' closets when its on it amazing sale. We did it in our closet and it gave us 4 times the amount of room and ours is not a walk in.

So here is my Original list, I might add more to it along the ride:

Linen closet upstairs: take out all linens, refold and put back.

Dressers. We own four. Take stuff out, declutter things, refold etc and put back away

TV room closet. This used to be a bedroom and we took the wall out but the closet is still there. Empty, organize etc

4th bedroom closet. This is a guest room/office plus the closet has our coats in it. Its more of a "staging area" So clean out the coats, weed out out grown etc

Winter gear box. This is a late April job. Go thru match up mittens, etc and fold up and clean items. Put away until November.

CD area. We still use our CDs but they pile up.

Shed. More of a DH job, but its pretty organized so he can do this in less than an hour. Also in May, we start up the snow blower and let it run to run off the gas. Judging from the snow piles, this winter, it should be a short project!

Garage: its heated and DH's man cave. He has his wood shop in there so its pretty tidy. But going thru things, sweeping etc is always needed. This will be a spring day job.

File cabinet. Go thru, take out, shred.

This is a good accountable thread.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#29 of 83 Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm going to do pics this weekend so I'm accountable

#30 of 83 Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

i haven't updated in a bit, have i?

i made some decisions about expenses that i'm cutting from the business--the PO BOX and the security system. that saves about $60 per month or more. the prior owners are angry about it because they have to pay the disconnection fees--which is about $250. but, they never itemized the bills for me before we purchased (i asked on numerous occasions), and then they just keep going "oh, and this bill too!" and some of the things are just things that don't seem that important but they do because it's the way that they've always done it.

for example, they have a PO Box because when they were in their previous location, they had to have one. and, the PO Box was just downstairs, so they would check mail on their way in or out. When they moved to the current location, they didn't need one, but they kept it anyway. And when they tried to convince us that it was a "good idea because you get a nice walk" we were like--what are you talking about? it's an extra, needless errand for us, it takes us away from the business, and makes our lives difficult."

the other thing that they did is that they paid for the year in advance--knowing that they were selling the business to us in a matter of weeks. lol and they want us to pay them back for the year and pay the fees to close the box! and i'm like "i didn't tell you to reup for a year, and i didn't know you had a box anyway because you never told me, and so why should i have to pay?"

it's so dumb!

but, that's some clutter that i got rid of with the business. I'm in the process of reorganizing the practitioner "office" space because it is a mess.

today, reno has started on the business, and in the next few days, we will be putting things up on NZ's "craig's list" to get some "junk" out of the place. that will help clear out a lot of things. there are also some dead plants in there that need to be removed (why the person who moved out didn't remove them when she moved out is beyond me).

so, that's where we are right now.

also, should i keep the water filter? The thing looks tacky and regular water doesn't taste bad. it's also a monthly expense when they come in to change the filters ($45). i don't think that it needs to be that filtered water, and i'd rather spend $50 on reno or marketing.

anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page