Do you have a "gift closet"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Rubbermaid tote in the attic. I don't buy completely generic--I generally have a receiver or two in mind when I purchase. But we have 3 children, 3 nephews, 2 nieces, 2 God-daughters, and our God-daughters have younger siblings. Everyone is 6 and under. So I buy toys at the Target 75% off sales, and I buy on Amazon when things are 50% off or more. I stash it in the tote and determine recipients as the invitations come in. When we got an unexpected invite to twin cousins 2nd birthday--great! A $20 Leapfrog Clickstart stashed in the tote. Christmas--two Leapsters marked down from $50 to $12 for the nephews. I have a Cozy Coupe I got at K Mart for $14 stashed that I will probably give my newest dd for her first birthday or Christmas or something--and she was just born! I bought it last year. I think that for me the key is knowing my audience, not just buying everything I come across. When I bought every $12 Leapster the store had left, for example. I didn't know exactly who to give them to but I had ds, 2 nephews, dd, or my niece in mind. I wouldn't buy something that I didn't have ideas swirling around on who to give it to. And I make sure it goes OUT nearly as fast as it comes in, so things don't pile up.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#32 of 45 Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 AM

yup...love it! i shop sales for things i like to give...wooden puzzles and play food, nice dolls, wooden cars, etc. baby clothes are good to. and then i buy all year for family and friends birthdays and christmas. it spreads out the buying and allows me to take advantage of sales. i also have some more non-recepient specific gifts like lotions, cndles, note cards and such.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#33 of 45 Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM

I do have a gift closet, although it's more of a high shelf in my laundry room. I picked up a few things after Christmas at the Target toy clearance and I'm saving those for birthdays/Christmas, etc. We stock up for nieces/nephews/friend birthday parties. It saves a ton and we can generally gift something much nicer than we could otherwise afford if we had to pay full price.
Now I need to consider wrapping paper, gift bags, etc. and when to stock up on those & how to store properly..because I always seem to get caught in a pinch for those items!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#34 of 45 Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM

I found a lot of toys for 50% off after Christmas and bought a bunch of stuff to give as gifts because I know birthdays are coming up. They are all sitting in my baby's closet at the moment.

Natural minded Mama to two young amazing babes!
#35 of 45 Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM

I keep a gift stash for kid's birthday parties where I don't know anything about the kid (unfamiliar school friends). I pick them up whenever I see a really good sale. But, I try not to keep more than a few items in there at a time. Mostly I get generic, timeless gifts: board games, books, art supplies. Things that I don't think any parent would object to. And definitely not "fad" stuff. I saw a bunch of bakugan on deep discount, but I didn't buy any of that even though I know some little boys into that because I don't know if it'll still be "in" by the time a gift-giving opportunity comes around.
#36 of 45 Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM

I truly have mixed feelings about 'gift closets'. After cleaning out THREE walk in closets that my MIL had full of gifts, I HATE THEM, however... I do have stashes myself. I often will buy things on clearance and hide them in my closet for the kids bdays. In fact, I have just this past week bought a few outfits for my DD who will be 2 in June and my soon to be 8 yr old at the end of July.
#37 of 45 Old 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM

No I don't have one. I'm not sure if it is that I'm just not organizing enough when it comes to gift giving or that I'm anti-social Ok, all kidding aside, we tend to only need to buy gifts for close friends or family and I usually purchase them as needed.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#38 of 45 Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes but mine is a blanket box with a lock
my big trick is that i shop for xmas and all other holidays all year round. i know they are coming up so why not grab when i see a good price. it does take some thinking and keeping track of what you have but in the long run it is totally stress free holidays.

what goes in my box...
gifts that were gifted to us but are too small or not needed/wanted. i will keep them if i know i can gift them to someone else.
i pick up things that i know a member of my family collects.
things on sale that i know will get gifted.

my kids are HSed but for classmate gifts, i would grap things like board games, craft kits, coloring stuff, books. i would watch clearence sections.
#39 of 45 Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 PM

In theory it's a great idea, but in reality I've never done it. I do buy things from etsy.com for particular people when I see something I like, and hold onto the item until a birthday. But even then I end up not knowing where to put the item so that I don't forget about it.
#40 of 45 Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendinbill View Post
In theory it's a great idea, but in reality I've never done it. I do buy things from etsy.com for particular people when I see something I like, and hold onto the item until a birthday. But even then I end up not knowing where to put the item so that I don't forget about it.
try to have a spot where all gifts go. that way when you buy something ahead of time you know right where to put put it and then when time comes you know right where it is no hunting. wish my mom would listen to me we got xmas gifts last week because she just found them
#41 of 45 Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 AM

Ah, the gift closet! How do I love thee?!?

My gift closet is currently stocked with:

Big tubs of sidewalk chalk
Art supplies
Books
Board games (bought at Christmas for $5 each)

gift items for hostess gifts/girlfriend gifts, etc.
-candles
-holiday decor items

Gift wrap, gift bags, tags and tissue paper

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#42 of 45 Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I'm not really sure where to post this.

I've heard people mention a "gift closet" before. In other words, they keep a stash of things on hand to give as gifts for birthday parties, new babies, etc. Maybe the gifts were purchased on sale, maybe they are just a standard item you like to give.

I think it is a good idea in theory, especially for parties when you don't know the child well (like school classmates). I think I'd prefer to pick out a special gift for close friends and family members, but I do like the idea of saving money on gifts.

So my question is this: If you have a "gift closet", what do you stock it with? What kind of gifts do you look for on sale?
No way! That's what I call it but I didn't know others did, too...

I just keep an eye out for anything on super clearance that will work for the people in my life.

It really works well if you stay in your budget. I tend to have Christmas done by August and I spend about $5 per birthday.

I tend to buy candy and save it for the next holiday too. I got a TON of candy on 90% clearance from vday and it will go into easter baskets.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#43 of 45 Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM

I have a gift closet! Its come in handy on a ton of occasions!

My closet has:
-gifts that ds recieved that we didn't want him to have/he wasn't interested in
-loot bag things leftover frm his bday parties/stuff he recieved. I usually put these on top of gifts instead of a bow
-doubles of gifts I recieved when I was pregnant w both kids
-I visit a crayola factory 2x a year-and stock up
-stuff I picked up working at a bar-nice bottle openers/glasses/coster sets/hats-I was able to gift all the men on my list one year by giving them a nice heineken glass/opener/bottle of ber and some nuts-cost me 5 bucks a gift
-victorian santas-mil collects lol
-sock yarn
-hot wheels cars/bubbles/side walk chalk ect

And leftover wrapping paper/blank cards(ds decorates them)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#44 of 45 Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like to have a few generic kid gifts on hand. For one thing we don;t always get a lot of notice when DD gets invited to a birthday party and this way I can get a few things when they are on sale.

I don't like to get more than 3 or 4 in stock though in case they don't get used. So far it's working out and DD is happy to "shop" from my selections.

I did rather overdo the party favours, I bought in the Jan sales and DDs birthday is not till August. We were thinking of going to the soft play with 20 odd children but ended up with 6 in the back yard. I think I am stocked for bouncy balls and fancy pencils for the next few parties

I buy for my own kids and extended family as I see things throughout the year and keep a list of who we've bought for. I like not having a big rush in december.
#45 of 45 Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ummm...no.

I don't have the money or space for a gift closet. My MIL does, though. I am a terrible gift shopper and just give money or food as gifts usually. Kids like money, right? Mine do, at least. Little Scrooge McDucks!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page