Anyone have photos of mobile home to share? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just sold our home and are hoping to set up a mobile home on my in-laws property. We're thinking about a single wide, unless we can find a nice affordable double wide. Has anyone experienced the mobile home life?

I would love to see photos, I'm very interested in seeing some decorating ideas for a mobile home.
#2 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM

I rented one for 3yrs, it was only a yr old when I moved in and it was very nice! You didn't feel like you were in a trailer. The walls already had wallpaper from the factory and it had factory curtains up, they weren't bad and since I was renting just left those up. Ours was the biggest you could get with out going to a double wide and it had plenty of space.

I did lack great storage though, but it was 3br 2full baths and a laundry room, eat in kitchen,(this was a L shaped room so felt like a separate dining room and then of course a living room. I really liked it but the bills to heat and cool it were high!

I don't have any pics I can put on the puter, ( they are all just photos and I don't have a scanner) but ifyou are buying new they have lots of nice layouts to choose from.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

We're hoping for a newer single wide 16x80, the one's we've seen are really quite nice, but I do worry about the heating costs. Luckily we have a large shed to use for some storage, that has been another concern of mine.
#4 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

We have lived in a mobile home for little more than half a year. It's pretty old ('76) but the people who lived here before us remodled and it's really nice. They put in durable fake wood floors, new cabinets in the kitchen (maple), and new countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. And the master bathroom completely re-done.
I know they spent some money, but they bought everything they could on sale or clearance. If you buy, say, the fridge with the dent on the side you'll save a ton. And usually can't see the flaws unless you're looking for them.
#5 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

bluebirdiemama, that sounds lovely, i would love to see pictures. I've thought of redoing an old mobile up nice with new floors, cabinets, etc. You can do a lot with paint and a few treasures. Not sure if have the know how to do it though.
#6 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 PM

I'll share a link to the album I created when we renovated the place we are in- it's kind of backwards, so you see the after prior to the before, but you can get an idea. It is a three bedroom MH that was converted to two bedrooms at some point in time. The previous owner had been very ill and the whole place was in very sad shape. My husband and my father rebuilt the subflooring, and we have put down laminate wood flooring in place of the carpets.

It also had some very dark/old paneling, and we've painted that- as you'll see in a couple of the pictures, my daughter picked the color for her room. We'd lost our home in a fire, and it was a big deal to let her have ownership of her space.

All that said, I'm currently at a loss about staying here or not- the walls are so thin that insulation is non-existent, the roof leaks, and the windows need to be completely rebuilt since you can't replace them.

If you are looking for something newer, you will not run into those problems, as between 197--something and now, the way mobile homes are built has changed a lot.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...on/renovation/
#7 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I'll share a link to the album I created when we renovated the place we are in- it's kind of backwards, so you see the after prior to the before, but you can get an idea. It is a three bedroom MH that was converted to two bedrooms at some point in time. The previous owner had been very ill and the whole place was in very sad shape. My husband and my father rebuilt the subflooring, and we have put down laminate wood flooring in place of the carpets.

It also had some very dark/old paneling, and we've painted that- as you'll see in a couple of the pictures, my daughter picked the color for her room. We'd lost our home in a fire, and it was a big deal to let her have ownership of her space.

All that said, I'm currently at a loss about staying here or not- the walls are so thin that insulation is non-existent, the roof leaks, and the windows need to be completely rebuilt since you can't replace them.

If you are looking for something newer, you will not run into those problems, as between 197--something and now, the way mobile homes are built has changed a lot.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...on/renovation/
That turned out really nice! What a transformation!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#8 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
confustication, I read a homesteading magazine once that told you a lot of ways to insulate and restore a mobile home. I wish I could remember the name-it wasn't mother earth news, but it was another popular one. Maybe you can google for more information. Be forewarned, to re insulate the walls they took the walls completely apart and then put in more insulation. It sounds pretty intense, but if you did one room at a time you could tackle it. I don't have any advice on the windows or roof, but if you googled around you might find something.
#9 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
You guys have done a wonderful job, the floors look really great. What a big transformation!
#10 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

i agree, the home looks lovely, C.

there is a soy-foam insulation that sprays in wet and fills a space, you can put it in without taking down walls. it's not as "green" as other forms (wool or denim) but for those two in particular, you have to take the walls down.

if the walls are already down, then that's not a problem.

dwell had a magazine about prefab homes--dwell.com is the web site.
#11 of 16 Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Check out this blog post on a mobile home:
http://tiny.cc/ny2ap
#12 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovergirl View Post
WOW! That looks amazing. I didn't know you could do so much with a mobile home.
#13 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear18 View Post
WOW! That looks amazing. I didn't know you could do so much with a mobile home.
That place is a million times better looking/bigger seeming then my house!

I would LOVE to move out of our house and into a trailer...ONE DAY ONE DAY!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#14 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovergirl View Post
That is beautiful!

crochetsmilie.gif

#15 of 16 Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

she did do a spectacular job, but IMO, a mobile home is no different than any other space. you just have to figure out your design style and go for it.

the difficulty is in affording everything up-front. decorating *is* a work in progress, so you have to decide where your priorities are. in a mobile home or any new home, start where you can and go as you can afford.

then, you will have a lovely home too.
#16 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
she did do a spectacular job, but IMO, a mobile home is no different than any other space. you just have to figure out your design style and go for it.

the difficulty is in affording everything up-front. decorating *is* a work in progress, so you have to decide where your priorities are. in a mobile home or any new home, start where you can and go as you can afford.

then, you will have a lovely home too.
I totally agree. I think sometimes the cost is prohibitive, and I know that I couldn't afford the changes that are referenced in that blog, for example, but even a fresh coat of paint can make a world of difference in a space.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page