Changing of the Seasons.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I got my girls' clothes out of storage and the girls tried stuff on and added the new things to their drawers.

I still need to get all the laundry done so we can weed out anything too small, not liked, badly stained, or in need of mending. That will have to happen soon. I also need to take a final inventory and make sure everyone has a reasonable number of t-shirts, shorts, jammies, etc.

It's still long-johns weather here most of the time, but I decided I simply cannot wait for the warm weather to get here in full.

So far, I have three trash bags full for my sister, one for my friend E, and one for the thrift shop. I'm seeing my sister on Sunday (she lives over an hour away) and I will have bags for her - and I want them out of my house! Hence the motivation.

And I still haven't done the boys yet, and their stuff will yield more giveaways. Maybe Thursday if I can fit it in.

I hate this project. It happens twice a year. It makes a mess and takes time and energy. It really is not something I enjoy.

But the older the kids get, the more independent they can be about trying stuff on. And when I do it, I feel overwhelmed with gratitude for the people who have given us such nice hand-me-downs in "sizes to grow into." And then I get to feel generously rich when I pass down the things we no longer need.

Anyone else sorting through spring/summer clothes?

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
yes I did sort throuhg the wardrobe of the youngestl last Monday, passed quite a few pieces of clothing to someone .... who surprised us with a little birthday present for our youngest on the next day at a playgroup we both attend

I find hard to declutter .... but I was given so much stuff for my other children that I do try to remember how gratefull I was to receive so much at the time so that giving now doesn't feel so much like parting or a separation but something more positive since I can help someone else ...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
i despise our New England change of seasons. It takes too long and the closets are bursting. 40degrees in the morning and 70degrees in the afternoon. So you have jeans, long sleeves, short sleeves, and sweaters along with a few capri's for the wicked warm days that come out of nowhere. And the closets are overflowing and driving my minimalist self mad. To be honest, they don't even have that much clothing but when there's two season's worth of stuff there, I want to burn it all.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm in FL and we switched to our summer clothes last month. I always love doing this. For some reason I like changing them out, I'm not sure why but I just like to see the change! I do have a lot of things to donate as well.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 04-23-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Whee! I am feeling very rich. Did the boys' clothes today. Unfortunately my 10yo is suddenly picky about feel and fit of long pants, but he has a couple of pairs and it will be enough. All the other kids are outfitted for summer and thrilled with their "new" clothes. And I am able to pass things along to others, which makes me feel really good.

Now the storage tubs are in our playroom and need to be put away. I sometimes leave them out in case we get bags from other people to add to them, but I think I will put them away and worry about that later.

I feel incredibly fortunate. Both to have been given all these clothes and to have a home with storage space where I can keep them until needed.

Still, I'm glad it's over until fall!!!!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)

User Tag List