Motivated Moms chore list - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 350 Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am definitely backsliding with these chores, but I am trying not to be too hard on myself and give myself a pat on the back for what I do manage to achieve.

For example today there are 8 chores listed, I was able to remove two that don't apply to me, (love it when I can do that!), that left 6, of which I got 3 done so far. It's nearly 7pm here so I may not get any more done today.

But that's OK.

SAHM to three
#302 of 350 Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 AM

Just want to share a minor victory thanks to doing MM.

Today my MIL made an unexpected visit, and DS dragged her into his room to show her a toy. In the past I would have been cringing badly about the mess.

But seeing as I have been dusting and cleaning regularly, I felt quite at ease about her going in there, as there was no dust to be seen on his toy shelves!

SAHM to three
#303 of 350 Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Clutterwarrior, I'm following your progress .... so happy that it's working for you !
I fell off MM, printed what I needed till the end of the year yesterday ... but not sure now that this format is exactly what I need right now ...

I feel bad when I don't get to do all too BUT as you posted last, the situation in my flat is also better than before and I don't feel so bad as I used to either

it's so comforting for me that you are writing this (I see that I'm not the only one, whilst I'm still upset that I don't progress better ...)

Yesterday I tried to make my own "Daily list" (8 items) and I feel good that by 10:00 am today I had done 6 of the list (the last 2 are for late afternoon)
For dailies at least I prefer my own list rather than MM.

I have a weekly list too now, not sure if I'm going to allocate some regular time for doing it, I like to be flexible, but I know I feel better having it written down and thinking I can get round to it sometimes during the week ...

basically, the system that would work best for me might not be something that someone else devised (like MM) but I need to think and take time to customise a frame of a system so that it fits my current (many ?) needs ...

by the way, how much time do you allocate 1- to computer time (e-mails etc ...) 2 - to MDC
just out of curiosity !
I find difficult to limit myself actually & I should sleep more !

(printed out some good advice that's neatly filled in my organisation learning binder "Si tu faisais ce que tu as à faire au lieu de passer 3 heures à lire des sites d'organisation, tu ne serais pas débordée" => am just not yet putting it in practice...I suppose I should print it in bold and half hide it inside a cupboard and look at it instead of fleeing to the computer so as not to start on chores !!!!)
#304 of 350 Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM

liking this thread...

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#305 of 350 Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

(printed out some good advice that's neatly filled in my organisation learning binder "Si tu faisais ce que tu as à faire au lieu de passer 3 heures à lire des sites d'organisation, tu ne serais pas débordée" => am just not yet putting it in practice...I suppose I should print it in bold and half hide it inside a cupboard and look at it instead of fleeing to the computer so as not to start on chores !!!!)

Haha...that is so true!

SAHM to three
#306 of 350 Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 AM

How's everyone doing? I have been doing pretty well recently. DH was in the hospital again, so I was just doing the bare minimum for a while (mostly making sure the dishes/laundry were done every day), but the past week I really got back to it, and the place shaped up FAST. I am really impressed. Even when things SEEM bad, they aren't nearly as bad as they were, you know? I'm not sure if it's my perspective (I think it's worse then the same mess would have seemed before), or just that it comes easier now. Either way, it's all to MM. I do think I need to start doing the vacuuming on Sunday instead of Monday, though. Monday is such a busy day for us that I always end up just doing it Tuesday, but I'd rather add it to a slower day.

I'm already thinking about next year, and am considering which version I want to get. I have 1 week per page right now, which works for me, but DH has said that as he gets better and finishes school, he wants to help more, and I wonder if a different version might be better for 2 people keeping track. I could see the smaller boxes being more confusing when someone else is marking stuff, too, kwim? I want something that will be super easy to just look at quickly and see what needs to be done, but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting a ton of paper, either.

#307 of 350 Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Still going steadily along with the lists. I have days when I am sick/tired/over it etc and don't do any of the chores, but most of the time it is really keeping me on track.

Okapi that is great that your husband is offering to help with the chores. I have no idea about a different version.

I started doing MM halfway through the year, but because I bought the full year I am thinking I will just print out the first half of the year and use that maybe, as the dates don't really matter and I guess the chores haven't changed?

SAHM to three
#308 of 350 Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 AM

Has anyone noticed that Thursday is missing from this week? Not sure if that is for some mysterious reason unbeknown to me, but I decided to take it as a sign to take a day off anyway.  lol.gif

SAHM to three
#309 of 350 Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post

Has anyone noticed that Thursday is missing from this week? Not sure if that is for some mysterious reason unbeknown to me, but I decided to take it as a sign to take a day off anyway.  lol.gif

Yeah, it's because it's Thanksgiving and they knew we'd be cooking all day, at least here in the states. :-)

#310 of 350 Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM

edited due to double post.

SAHM to three
#311 of 350 Old 11-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Yeah thanks we don't celebrate it here, but Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it!

The penny dropped last night when I received this email from House Honcho:

We are focusing on THANKSGIVING with this list!

Remember, don't put pressure on yourself to get it all done. If you do 3 items—in any combination—you will make a difference in your home today.

SIMPLE TASKS:

1. Eat.
2. Watch the parade.
3. Take a nap.

INTERMEDIATE TASKS:

1. Love your family.
2. Don't take anything personally.
3. Cook.

CHALLENGING TASKS:

1. Find someone to help clean the dishes.
2. Make all the leftovers fit in the fridge.
3. CHALLENGE: Remember what the holiday is all about.

SAHM to three
#312 of 350 Old 11-26-2010, 07:59 AM

Love that list!  LOL

I'm in the process of pulling out our holiday decore boxes... ds is in a very outgoing/high energy/physical phase right now (climbing on everything, dropping/throwing/smashing, tasting his world) and I realized it would be easier to just create a touchable tree instead of trying to protect our existing decore.  In the past I've just put fragile items up high and kid friemdly items down low but given that he will probably climb/shake the tree it just felt easier to go whole hog "touchable".  So I'm adding making felt ornaments to my daily to-do lists.  Gingerbread men cut from brown felt, stuffed icicles from white felt, etc.  Ideas from the Fa la la la felt book... I'm hoping that by adding it to my MM daily list I'll have enough for tree trimming (which we do on the 13th of dec).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#313 of 350 Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 AM

I have to say how much I love this program!!!!!!! I just got back into it roughly the past week and my home looks amazing. There are things (like ironing and mending) that I completely cross off the list, and my home still looks awesome! Yay!!!!! I have a baby and am homeschooling my 11 year old DSD, who does a couple of her own MM chores on weekdays. It takes her less than 10 minutes and helps me out like crazy!!! I finally feel like I'm regaining some control of my home. :-)

#314 of 350 Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM

I just signed up with this for next year after seeing this thread.  I have done pretty good this year getting in somewhat of a groove w/ homeschooling and a basic cleaning routine.  The basic daily things get done most of the time and I have decluttered to a point where I can generally keep things together.  However, what isn't getting done well is the deep cleaning stuff- well some I do well- and others I don't think about.  I clean under my stove and refrigerator but washing walls- needs to be done.  Dusting I am horrid at, I don't care too much on that!  I want someone to allocate all those little jobs and not have to think about it at all!  I am currently printing up for the year and was thinking I would just work on the basic daily list and such for now until the New Year, it is a pretty busy time anyway. 

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#315 of 350 Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm going to sign up again for next year, but I am wondering if they have any offers for a discount coming up. I paid the full year amount this year even though I signed up halfway through the year...

SAHM to three
#316 of 350 Old 12-19-2010, 05:16 PM

I think I'm going to start up at the new year. I printed out a few of the sample pages- about two weeks worth of stuff. So, in January I will try it for two weeks and if I stick with it, I'll purchase it. If not, nothing lost!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#317 of 350 Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 AM

I decided to start with the Dec 20 date for the 2011 year, that made more sense.  I am really like the idea so far.  I detested FlyLady.  I love checklists.  Over the past year I have done a good job of the daily stuff, which I generally can get done in the morning before we start school.  My list lacks a few things though- I don't wipe bathroom sinks daily and my kitchen is swept several times a week instead of daily.  I haven't been able to figure out- so what day to do the bathroom, or clean the frig etc.  I am so excited to have that planned out for me.  Anyway, it looks like today is clean bathroom day.  I guess that means all the bathrooms you have, for us that is 2, but they are small so big deal.  They were just cleaned Wed so not too bad.  So far we have beds made, some laundry done( I am a load behind from the weekend) and working on the dishes.  I like to get my daily stuff done by 9am but today we are running late as we were out for a Christmas get to-gether last night.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#318 of 350 Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 AM

Hello- anyone still here?  I got the list finished yesterday.  It was a good amount of work but not too much.  It helped keep me on track.  I could have easily went and did this thing and that.  I did do a bit extra but tried to restrain myself, I tend to go overboard.  I did get all my sweeping done yesterday though and I see it is on the list for today, so I guess that just makes me ahead.

#319 of 350 Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 AM

How did I not notice this thread before?  I've used MM for two (maybe even three?) years now and I really like it.  I'm a checklist person (love that sense of accomplishment when I see things checked off)

I don't follow it 100% exactly (don't change out our hand towels that often, for example and a load of laundry a day isn't usually enough around here, I'm afraid LOL) and I have to add in things like cloth diaper laundry, but this type of system really seems to work for me and my temperament.  I use the page a day.

Hope it is okay that I jump in wave.gif

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#320 of 350 Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Hiya Kara- Glad to 'see' someone here~ I am having to tweak as well.  I generally can get by with 1 load of laundry a day or less.  I have a super capacity washer though, that helps.  I try to do diaper laundry on a seperate day by itself.  I don't change my bath towels that often, but kitchen towels get changed daily.  I am not going to be wiping out the bathroom sink daily, it doesn't really need it.  Although, the toilet could stand a good wiping every day w/ little kids using it.  So, far though what I have looked at it seems to line up with our needs and standards fairly well.

I loved that today clip nails was listed- how did they know I needed to do that?  It had something about prescriptions, which we don't have but I took the prompting to finally make dentist and eye appts.  I think I am about done w/ my lists for the day-just need to clean outdoor trashcan and of course supper and bedtime stories are done at night.  I ended up cleaning the whole porch yesterday and raking the yard the weather was so nice.  Sheets for the bedrooms got bumped up to today as I don't have a full load of clothes to wash and they needed it.  I can fit them all at once though, so that is nice, they are currently on the line.  I am trying to get in the habit of getting all the jobs done before 9am, I just have to stop going on tangents doing other thing.  I am on another decluttering binge, as always happens at Christmas, thus things take longer than expected. 

#321 of 350 Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Welcome Kara! Hi Crunchy_Mama!

I'm reading the updates with this thread, but I don't have the time to post often. I've used MM for about half a year and it has proven so very helpful. In the beginning, tasks took longer, but once I started doing them regularly, it was so easy to maintain. An example of this is cleaning and organizing your bedroom closet. This was a half day project for me and now it takes a few minutes to maintain when it comes up. So it definitely gets easier as you go. I, too, cross off the things on the list that I don't do. One thing that works well for me is delegating some tasks to my DH and DSD. Just simple, little things. That really helps.

#322 of 350 Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Hiya-

I have done a lot of organizing and decluttering  so most of the tasks are not very time consuming here either.  The less stuff the better!   However, when I get to basement cleaning/organizing I will be hurting.  We have let it go for the last several months(it is unfinished and just used for storage).  It will take a while to get it together!  I will be anxious to see next week though, this one seems pretty light- I guess because of the holidays.  So far though it is very easy to keep up with- it is just a matter of getting in the groove with it and finding the best time to do everything.  I hope to have it all done in the morning before we do school but we will see if that works.  I am sure that will work better some days than others.

I am delegating some tasks to the kids as well.  Dh has been working a ton of overtime so he really isn't able to help.  The kids have their own jobs though- ds does the trash, they both help w/ dishes and picking up.  Ds can do all of his own room and dd can do most of her room.  We do bedrooms every day, makes it easier to keep up that way, especially with kids.

#323 of 350 Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 AM

I just purchased MM at half price and I am feeling good that my $4 investment is paying off. I wish we could add to the pdf instead of handwriting in additional items, but alas, we can't. This is my first full week and the kids are doing 3 chores from the list a day. They are simple ways for them to help the family! I love how easy it was to incorporate some chores for them into the daily routine.

I didn't get everything done yesterday (our cat passed away) but I was able to do many of the chores while comforting the kids. I am still cleaning around the clutter, since I let a lot of areas slide in the last few weeks. I like that there is a box to remind me to exercise, and take my vitamins/supplements. Very helpful!

I read through the first 8 or so pages and gleamed a lot of helpful tips.

Hope everyone is having a happy day!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#324 of 350 Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 AM

I heard about MM here at Mothering and also got the $4 deal. It's been very helpful so far. Even though I don't do everything on the list every day (and some things aren't applicable to an apt.), the house has been much neater and cleaner. I just feel more on top of things. That said, I haven't had much work lately, so I've had time to devote to it. The test will be when work gets busy.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#325 of 350 Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Hi ladies! Thanks for reviving this thread! I have a 2 week old and a 19 month old, so I know I won't get to everything on the list. Today I'm choosing to skip dusting the light bulbs in the lamps, for example. It's not high on my current priorities. But even if I don't get to the tasks for specific days, just using the list on the left side of the page will be helpful to stay on top of things like dishes, laundry, dinner and spending a little quality time with DS1.

So here I go. Maybe we can cheer each other on.

#326 of 350 Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Oh, I was wondering if I was the only one left still using my MM list!  I've been pretty religious about it this year -- it was my New Year's Resolution, and so far it's the only one I've ever made that's lasted into September!!! :)   It's been great for me to keep the house at a basic level of cleanliness, especially with a new baby in the house.  By now, too, I have  a handle on what kinds of projects are going to "come around" with some regularity and which ones aren't -- so I know which ones I can blow off.orngbiggrin.gif

BTW, I'm a big advocate for crossing off tasks I don't feel like doing... but you might want to try squeezing in the lightbulb-dusting when you have a chance.  You'd be amazed at how much a coat of dust can dim the light from a bulb, and make it seem like you need more light (and therefore turn on more lights or put in a higher-wattage bulb, using more energy in the long run). 

Ok, I'm off to dust the living room. uhoh3.gif

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#327 of 350 Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM

I also crossed off the lightbulb dusting wink1.gif but add in other tasks I need to do.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#328 of 350 Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 PM

I am persevering also with MM lists....I did slacken off for about 4 weeks, probably because I had the flu and then just too tired to do much for a few weeks after, but I have got back into it this week.  Even if I don't always do everything on the list for the day, it does get me moving round the house and getting stuff done, even if that is just 2 things done from the list.  And I sometimes swap things around...like if it says mop then I might leave it and mop the next day if I am having a low energy day.

SAHM to three
#329 of 350 Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Hey, thanks for the great recommendation!  I am a FL 3x dropout.  It worked great when I had 2 kids and lived in an apt with everything on one level.  Once we had #3 and moved it all fell apart and I have never been able to get back on track with it.  Something needs to be done, though.  8 kids and no storage are driving me insane.  This looks simple and straightforward.  I am thinking that on Sat, I will hand out whatever tasks didn't get checked off to the kids.  We have pocket money tied to doing extra chores, so they will be able to earn money and I won't have to stress out so much.  Started yesterday, and only got several  of the dailies done, but I also had to do a basic pick up/declutter of the main living areas.  So now that that is done, on we go!  I hope that we can keep this thread alive, 'cause I think the encouragement would be fantastic!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#330 of 350 Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm not getting a ton of stuff crossed off my MM list, but I am overall getting more housework done.  I think the babies are sleeping just enough better that I can find the energy to get moving and do a few things.  I'm focusing mainly on the left side of the list, the "dailies".  I am just sooo excited that I am actually 100% caught up on laundry!!  This is a major improvement.  I have had to resort to having kids switch loads for me for months, and it was scary.  I have caught my daughter in the act of simply turning the wash cycle on again, even actually adding a few dirty clothes to the clean stuff that just finished washing!  Just because she didn't want to switch it over.  Can't convince any of them to pick up what they drop, so clothes fall on the way to the washer, into the dryer, from the dryer and then we can't figure out what's clean and what's dirty.  Enough!  So, I'm back in control of the laundry.  I shoveled the mess out of the laundry room and it took me about 4 days, but here we are.  thumb.gif

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page