Motivated Moms chore list - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 350 Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I just want to say kudos to you for staying on top of the laundry with 8 children, especially twin infants! I've fallen way behind, as we've all been sick (my toddler was hospitalized with pneumonia and then my newborn got a cold). I'm staying up a little late tonight to try to create some order out of things. But generally, if I can accomplish the left side of the page, I'm at least on top of dishes, laundry and keeping the kitchen reasonably picked up. If I can get to the things on the right side of the page, I'm doing really well. :-)

Question: do you find that you have to mop more than 1 time a week with so many children? I have one toddler and I feel like my floor needs to be mopped every 2-3 days. I try to have him eat in his high chair or at the table, but spills happen, food gets thrown down, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

I'm not getting a ton of stuff crossed off my MM list, but I am overall getting more housework done.  I think the babies are sleeping just enough better that I can find the energy to get moving and do a few things.  I'm focusing mainly on the left side of the list, the "dailies".  I am just sooo excited that I am actually 100% caught up on laundry!!  This is a major improvement.  I have had to resort to having kids switch loads for me for months, and it was scary.  I have caught my daughter in the act of simply turning the wash cycle on again, even actually adding a few dirty clothes to the clean stuff that just finished washing!  Just because she didn't want to switch it over.  Can't convince any of them to pick up what they drop, so clothes fall on the way to the washer, into the dryer, from the dryer and then we can't figure out what's clean and what's dirty.  Enough!  So, I'm back in control of the laundry.  I shoveled the mess out of the laundry room and it took me about 4 days, but here we are.  thumb.gif

#332 of 350 Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

BTW, I'm a big advocate for crossing off tasks I don't feel like doing... but you might want to try squeezing in the lightbulb-dusting when you have a chance.  You'd be amazed at how much a coat of dust can dim the light from a bulb, and make it seem like you need more light (and therefore turn on more lights or put in a higher-wattage bulb, using more energy in the long run). 

I hadn't thought of that. That's a good reason to dust the light bulbs. (I still haven't gotten to it, though. bag.gif)

#333 of 350 Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

Question: do you find that you have to mop more than 1 time a week with so many children? I have one toddler and I feel like my floor needs to be mopped every 2-3 days. I try to have him eat in his high chair or at the table, but spills happen, food gets thrown down, etc.

We have no carpets anywhere, so we do a LOT of sweeping, but for spills and things we mostly spot clean and we are doing really well if we mop once a week in the main living areas.  We recently got a cheap steam mop and the kids get a kick out of using it, so they will mop when they feel like it.  We did have a memorable incident with my now 3 yo when she was about 18 mo or so...she got into the margarine container before it was cleared away and finger painted the walls, the table and the floor.  I never knew it was so hard to clean margarine off the walls, but it's the fat content.  Sheesh!  We mostly deal with crumbs, so it's mostly sweeping and it is impossible to stay on top of it.  We live next door to a park and if I never see a sandbox again it will be too soon. 

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#334 of 350 Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 AM

Anyone still following this plan or have we all got post-summer cleaning fatigue? I know I'm feeling it big time at the moment - the children are so busy at school and after school, then there's my work, hubbie's work...the apartment seems to slide right to the bottom of the list all the time. 

#335 of 350 Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

We got side tracked at the end of the week. I am trying to jump back in today but it is hard.

I am doing a general declutter today though. Things have accumulated over the last few weeks. Blech

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#336 of 350 Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 AM

I just found out that we will be having a visit from family from out-of-town on Wednesday.  They are staying with other family members, so they'll just be dropping by for a little visit. Thank goodness we have been working to get the house up to better standards, so we don't have a ton of cleaning to do, except for our dining room which is visible from the living room (and you have to pass through to get to the bathroom).  The kids keep their toys in the dining room, and while we don't have a lot of toys considering the number of kids, still we have 8 kids!  So I will be using this as motivation for trying to get this room up to standard, which I've been meaning to do but ignoring instead. LOL  I need to come up with a better furniture arrangement, make sure toys are sorted properly into their bins, do another weed out of broken/unused/unwanted toys, and mop the floor.  I'm thinking of swapping our dining table for an outside picnic table.  Our dining table has an intricate base which, while visually interesting, makes sweeping a pain in the butt.  It is some of the children's chore to sweep after meals, and it just never gets done very well, even though they try.  Also, we never all eat at the table at once because we do not have enough chairs, so it's not really necessary to have a large table that can't be cleaned under.  Oldest child has broken nearly every chair in the house.  (While I'm thinking about it, maybe I should have him contribute to a set of benches I've been thinking about since he has been the main contributor to the problem....and he is now working.  I may be able to suggest it as a Christmas gift from him and dh and I to the whole family.)    One baby is napping.  If I can get the other settled, I may be able to get some work done.

#337 of 350 Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I just found out that we will be having a visit from family from out-of-town on Wednesday.  

How did the visit go??  I have to admit that I don't always get the entire list done every day, but it's been a month now and it has made a difference.  I cleaned the front of the dishwasher, stove and fridge just now.  Combined with the clean counters, my kitchen is sparkling...  at least until the kids get home!  wink1.gif

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#338 of 350 Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowTurtle View Post

Quote:

How did the visit go??  I have to admit that I don't always get the entire list done every day, but it's been a month now and it has made a difference.  I cleaned the front of the dishwasher, stove and fridge just now.  Combined with the clean counters, my kitchen is sparkling...  at least until the kids get home!  wink1.gif

It went well!  Thanks for asking!  I had forgotten that the kids had a half day that day, so I was able to enlist their help to straighten up when they got off school, get their homework done, and then sent them outside so they didn't create further messes.  Dh also surprised me by skipping class and coming home.  He was nervous about everyone getting his disabled gma into and out of the house.  It was nice to have him home, since they are all his family, and I am such an introvert that entertaining anyone drives me to panic.

#339 of 350 Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM

One of my favorite things about MM is that if I follow it at all, even half-heartedly, I still end up with a house that is more-or-less presentable.  A friend stopped by today on short notice and it was such a relief to not be racing through the house this morning, shoving things in closets to get them out of sight.  I spent years doing that every time I had guests!!!  All I had to do today was change the hand towel and wipe off the bathroom sink, and we were ready for visitors.  Now, if the visitors weren't close friends, I'd admittedly have a bit more work to do, but I'm ok with most people in my life seeing the house as it is right now.  What a relief!  

However, in hindsight I probably should have swept the floors.  My friend's crawling baby was putting all sorts of floor-munchies into her mouth.  Eugh.  Maybe a daily sweeping should be on the list for those of us with crumb-scattering toddlers!!!  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#340 of 350 Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe a daily sweeping should be on the list for those of us with crumb-scattering toddlers!!!  

Yes, I need to do this, too!  I keep thinking that I'm going to transfer the MM calendar to a doc where I can tweak the dailies a bit.  Haven't found the energy to do it, but maybe in the next few weeks.  The other thing I like about MM, besides being "drop-in" ready, is the inclusion of seasonal or annual tasks that I just wouldn't necessarily think of on my own.  

#341 of 350 Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

However, in hindsight I probably should have swept the floors.  My friend's crawling baby was putting all sorts of floor-munchies into her mouth.  Eugh.  Maybe a daily sweeping should be on the list for those of us with crumb-scattering toddlers!!!  

Quote:

Yes, I need to do this, too!  I keep thinking that I'm going to transfer the MM calendar to a doc where I can tweak the dailies a bit.  Haven't found the energy to do it, but maybe in the next few weeks.  The other thing I like about MM, besides being "drop-in" ready, is the inclusion of seasonal or annual tasks that I just wouldn't necessarily think of on my own.  

On the left side of the page with  the daily tasks, it has "sweep kitchen and entryway." I would just include any other area in the home that needs daily sweeping. For me, thanks to 2 cats and a litter box, that's the bathroom.

#342 of 350 Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 AM

I'm such a dork!  I got motivated yesterday to work on the lists a bit.  I revamped my dailies so they were more in order of how I would like my day to proceed.  Here's what I have: Make beds, quiet time, wipe out bathroom sinks, do laundry (I have three lines of check boxes so I can check off three loads a day), clear/wipe kitchen counters, wash dishes, clean kitchen sink, sweep floors, exercise, clear hot spots, pick up toys, read to children (I use this as our daily devotion time with the kids), take vitamins, open blanks.  I found a free font that has boxed letters instead of blank open boxes, cause I find the blank ones confusing if I skip something on any particular day.  I've gotten up to setting up the other side with the recurring items and copy-n-pasted them, so now I just have to date for next year and the rest of this year and input all the items that don't recur daily/weekly/bi-weekly.  I did move paying bills to the Fridays that my dh gets paid, which is when I already do that, and meal planning to Sundays when my DH is home because he does the shopping, most of the meal planning/cooking.  Yeah, I'm spoiled!!  But this will work great to be able to analyze what we have and work our meal plan together, and give the kids a chance to input their requested items (usually things like oranges and plums. LOL)  Everything else is the same, other than removing items that are irrelevant (pets, plants).  I'll probably get this finished up while watching football today.  Go Pack.

#343 of 350 Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM

This is an awesome idea! What program are you using?

Quote:

I'm such a dork!  I got motivated yesterday to work on the lists a bit.  I revamped my dailies so they were more in order of how I would like my day to proceed.  Here's what I have: Make beds, quiet time, wipe out bathroom sinks, do laundry (I have three lines of check boxes so I can check off three loads a day), clear/wipe kitchen counters, wash dishes, clean kitchen sink, sweep floors, exercise, clear hot spots, pick up toys, read to children (I use this as our daily devotion time with the kids), take vitamins, open blanks.  I found a free font that has boxed letters instead of blank open boxes, cause I find the blank ones confusing if I skip something on any particular day.  I've gotten up to setting up the other side with the recurring items and copy-n-pasted them, so now I just have to date for next year and the rest of this year and input all the items that don't recur daily/weekly/bi-weekly.  I did move paying bills to the Fridays that my dh gets paid, which is when I already do that, and meal planning to Sundays when my DH is home because he does the shopping, most of the meal planning/cooking.  Yeah, I'm spoiled!!  But this will work great to be able to analyze what we have and work our meal plan together, and give the kids a chance to input their requested items (usually things like oranges and plums. LOL)  Everything else is the same, other than removing items that are irrelevant (pets, plants).  I'll probably get this finished up while watching football today.  Go Pack.

#344 of 350 Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

This is an awesome idea! What program are you using?

Just my word processor program.  I use Open Office.  I have to manually copy everything, but it's not too bad if you set it up with everything recurring, and then copy/paste, then enter everything extra.  Once it is set up, I'll just be able to change the dates in subsequent years.  Since I'm just sitting around nursing babies and watching football, I got time.

#345 of 350 Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Just my word processor program.  I use Open Office.  I have to manually copy everything, but it's not too bad if you set it up with everything recurring, and then copy/paste, then enter everything extra.  Once it is set up, I'll just be able to change the dates in subsequent years.  Since I'm just sitting around nursing babies and watching football, I got time.

I love the MM program, but it might be cool to tweak it a bit. 

#346 of 350 Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM

It took all day, but I finished revamping MM.  I think the investment of time will help me stick to doing it.  So far so good.  Having the dailies reordered helped me move more effectively through the day.  I can look and see what I should be doing/where I am at in those brief moments of time between caring for twins.  Also, I actually exercised today!  I'm so proud of myself. Go me! :)  I have checked off every single daily (except vitamins, which happen before bed) and cleaned toilets/changed towels/stocked TP.  Inventorying leftovers happens on Sunday for me.

#347 of 350 Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Is anyone else still working MM?  It's so quiet on this thread.

Maybe we should start a new one and see if we can gather some new users or new posters?  An 18 page thread is kind of intimidating, and I think the first post was several years old.

I am thrilled with how my tweeked MM is working!  Well, except today I'm a little sidetracked because I had to use twin nap time for updating Church volunteer schedules that I do every few months. It's at the end of the cycle and they need to get out.  I think I am done for the moment while I wait for a response on the last "special" that needs scheduling and I will strap on my one awake baby and do some cleaning up in the kitchen.  

#348 of 350 Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm following loosely. I'm trying to get my groove, having a 6 week old and 1 1/2 year old. LOL But I do plan  to follow it better soon. I've just been so tired lately.

I think another thread might be a good idea. Why don't you start one and place the link to it here? That way everyone who has currently posted can easily find the new thread. 

#349 of 350 Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Super!  Here is the new thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1333381/lets-stay-motivate-moms-fall-winter-2011-2012#post_16707341.

I try to avoid starting threads, so I hope it's not too cheesy. ;)

#350 of 350 Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM

I've fallen off the MM list for a while...planning to start back up soon though. I am wanting to do my own verison that fits our family better. Maybe we can start a new thread in 2012? That would be alot easier than the current one we have going now.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page