Motivated Moms chore list - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just downloaded the PDF file for MM. I probably won't start until next week since we're going camping this weekend and I'm trying to get everything ready for that. It might take a bit of adjustment to change from my current schedule to theirs, but overall I think the MM's is way better and will help me get more accomplished in less time.

I'm looking forward to trying it and having others who are doing it will help keep me motivated. :-)

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM

I just started MM this week, too. I like the way the chores are broken down into every day and special for the day. My house looks sooo much better.

~maddymama
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE MMs!

I've been doing it for 2 weeks and it really helps me keep the house clean. Everyday there are just tiny projects listed so that I don't get overwhelmed.
For me, that's the biggest feature of this system. If I think about fully cleaning the bathrooms, I get overwhelmed and convinced that I don't have time. Wiping out the sinks? cleaning the mirrors? none of these take long.

Erica
Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM

UGH! I still haven't bought it, but I've been following this thread. I think I am just going to do it. I've been saving the money in my paypal account for a new bag at Etsy. The maker has not responded to my question or whatever and I haven't totally placed an order. I may just wait on the bag until I replace that $8 from some surveys I do or something. Or entering giveaways is another way I replenish my paypal account.

Going to purchase it right now.

I print out to do lists anyway. I hope this will keep me and the kids focused. I can even give them small tasks from the list to do if they come to me and say they are bored or if they are "hovering". If it really makes / helps keep my house cleaner, it can't hurt, right??

How much do you print at a time (for those of you who did not have it all printed and bound at once)??? I think I'm going to start with a month. Does that sound reasonable?

LaDonna, wife to J. Mom to K-8, C-7, H (Mar 14-26, 2004), M-5, W-3, R-1.5 and baby due in August.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Totally worth the 8 dollars! And I print one week at a time... I have the week's list thumb tacked to the wall in the kitchen next to my calendar.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHarris View Post
How much do you print at a time (for those of you who did not have it all printed and bound at once)??? I think I'm going to start with a month. Does that sound reasonable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
Does anyone ever work ahead of the day they are on, in prep for a busy week or days when you know u won't get stuff done?
I print 1 week at a time. On the weekend I print out my google calendar, google task list & chore list for the week. I then recycle the papers at the end of the week. Otherwise, I feel that I am very caught up looking ahead or backwards rather than focusing on the current week. I do work ahead for the week when I know ahead of time that I won't have time on a certain day of the week to complete the tasks. But, I am working very hard on myself not to worry if something doesn't get done that week.

Welcome to all the new MM users! I hope you find it as wonderful as the rest of us do. It has really changed my home for the better.

As I was out for my walk this morning, thinking about what needs to be done today (I REALLY hate mopping), I remembered how much I like that there is a task for daily exercise. Makes my daily walks seem even more productive.

Okay, so I am going to surf around the boards a few more minutes and get to the mopping. Once that is done, I will feel much better about the day.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Ummm.... so I like that MM has us organzing and stocking our First Aid kits today. I finally got around to checking for the most recent Tylenol recall (from a month ago-ish, we haven't had to use any of it since the recall was announced) and I figured out that our infant and childrens' Tylenol need to be tossed and new ones need to be purchased. I'm glad that this was a task bc otherwise I'd be frantically searching the net for this info the next time one of my kiddos is really sick, and then hurriedly running out to purchase this stuff.
:-)
I've only been doing this for a week, and it's really making a difference in my life and stress level. :-)
~maddymama
Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I received the following via email from my husband this morning.

The apartment looked AWESOME this morning!

I was like wow. Nice.

Thank you.

I've only been doing what's on the list. My home is really taking shape.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHarris View Post
I just print them a week at a time, but it wouldn't hurt to print 4 weeks worth.

Maddymama, I actually have some baby Tylenol from my son's recent surgery that needs to be tossed. I also have to stock up on band-aids for my stepdaughter's summer visit. It's such a great reminder.

mags.bubble, I LOVE that exercise is included! I'm reminded on a daily basis not only to take care of my home, but to take care of myself, as well.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM

I think I'm going to take the plunge this week and sign up for MM!
I am trying to do a big clean-up over the next few days, and then start with the MM on Sunday... looking forward to marking progress here

I am not naturally organized, and always feel slightly inadequate when it comes to housework, so hoping this helps. I tried it a few years ago, but it didn't stick, but the kids are older, so maybe it'll work this time

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 PM

I just joined! I need help
Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 AM

Well we just had a good laugh at our house! I am SO glad we didn't begin today. Mop the kitchen, dust a little -ok.But the desk would take me a LONG time. It's one of the messiest areas of the house, no matter how often I try to tidy it up. And straightening the bedroom closet would require a whole day. I am determined this weekend to haul everything out of there and find my summer clothes...
So I kept reading, because everyone has posted that their home is so much neater, and you all feel better if someone might happen to drop in ( something I worry about too). I see that on Monday I'm going to clean the top shelf of my fridge. Now of course I'm going to do that responsibly-because I want a clean, organized home in a bad way- and don't plan to just move everything down a shelf, but PLEASE tell me this is going to work. I can't just have my guests come in and be told to "help yourself to a cold drink on the top shelf in the fridge".
I seriously don't think my house is too bad. We need to get rid of clutter in places ( like the desk) ( and the closet) but we clean all floors almost daily and the laundry seems never-ending.
I'm glad to be signing on with you all!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga2roo View Post
Well we just had a good laugh at our house! I am SO glad we didn't begin today. Mop the kitchen, dust a little -ok.But the desk would take me a LONG time. It's one of the messiest areas of the house, no matter how often I try to tidy it up. And straightening the bedroom closet would require a whole day. I am determined this weekend to haul everything out of there and find my summer clothes...
So I kept reading, because everyone has posted that their home is so much neater, and you all feel better if someone might happen to drop in ( something I worry about too). I see that on Monday I'm going to clean the top shelf of my fridge. Now of course I'm going to do that responsibly-because I want a clean, organized home in a bad way- and don't plan to just move everything down a shelf, but PLEASE tell me this is going to work. I can't just have my guests come in and be told to "help yourself to a cold drink on the top shelf in the fridge".
I seriously don't think my house is too bad. We need to get rid of clutter in places ( like the desk) ( and the closet) but we clean all floors almost daily and the laundry seems never-ending.
I'm glad to be signing on with you all!
LOL My closet isn't horrible, but it is something that takes me more time to organize. Yesterday I wiped down and organized the top shelf. Later I'll organize just the rack or just the bottom. After I do it this first time on the program, I'll probably be able to quickly organize the whole thing. Same with my desk. But my home overall is looking so much better. The key is that you are doing things regularly. For example, earlier this week I cleaned and organized the freezer. On Monday I'll clean the top shelf. The other shelves will get cleaned, as well, in time. I find this is a great program that builds on itself. Please don't feel discouraged.

Of course, you're welcome to clean the entire refrigerator at once if you have time. But that's the kind of thinking that keeps me from doing anything. I think, "Oh, I don't have time to clean the whole thing" and I end up not cleaning it at all. Since I've been doing things bit by bit, there has been a huge improvement. :-)
Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 AM

I downloaded this earlier this week, and so far, it is helpful! I had looked at it before, and didn't get be b/c everything on there seems so obvious, you know? But actually looking at a list that can get checked off (instead of just thinking hmm... I need to run a load of laundry today) actually makes a difference for me. I haven't printed it out yet, but my laptop resides in the kitchen, so it's easy for me to just have it on the screen and keep up w/ it. I think it will be even better printed when I can actually see the check marks! Very motivating to see the list shrink
Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Silly question; do you get a years worth, ie from today until May 28 2011?
Or is it until Dec 31 2010?

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymama12 View Post
Silly question; do you get a years worth, ie from today until May 28 2011?
Or is it until Dec 31 2010?
I think it is Dec.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 AM

I found my old 2007 (!!) file, and judging by the tasks you mention, I think I've found where you're at; next Monday, is the 2nd task "Clean glass - family/living room"?
If not, I'll just go into a MM timewarp solo

I'm doing a tidy/clean with the boys tomorrow, then starting MM on Sunday - really going to try to stick with it this time!

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I found my old 2007 (!!) file, and judging by the tasks you mention, I think I've found where you're at; next Monday, is the 2nd task "Clean glass - family/living room"?
If not, I'll just go into a MM timewarp solo

I'm doing a tidy/clean with the boys tomorrow, then starting MM on Sunday - really going to try to stick with it this time!
No, I don't see "clean glass" next Monday. So, I guess you are going retro! Glad you are joining in. I hope it works too.

I didn't finish this week as well as I started. Never did get o washing walls in kids room. They probably need it too. Oh well. Yesterday, my brother was in town and on a spur of the moment decided to spend the afternoon hanging with us. So, I didn't really get any chores done yesterday, but had a great time with family. I am not going to try to make up the chores. Today I will do the daily chores, and then spend time with family. It is hard for me not to stress about what I didn't get done, but I am trying. Does anyone else feel like that?

Does anyone use the full or half page per day? Do you like it?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags.bubble View Post
No, I don't see "clean glass" next Monday. So, I guess you are going retro! Glad you are joining in. I hope it works too.

I didn't finish this week as well as I started. Never did get o washing walls in kids room. They probably need it too. Oh well. Yesterday, my brother was in town and on a spur of the moment decided to spend the afternoon hanging with us. So, I didn't really get any chores done yesterday, but had a great time with family. I am not going to try to make up the chores. Today I will do the daily chores, and then spend time with family. It is hard for me not to stress about what I didn't get done, but I am trying. Does anyone else feel like that?

I had a busy day out yesterday and Thursday was difficult for me. There are chores that I missed and while I would usually let them go, I am going to try to catch up over the 3 day weekend (maybe recruiting hubby's help) because I have my stepdaughters coming in 2 weeks, followed by my MIL, and I really need to get my home in order. Don't feel guilty letting the chores you missed go. Just look ahead!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:

2007 list - just jump in the last week of May and don't worry about it! We don't have to all do the same tasks, but it SURE HELPS that we are all working together.

I have only ever gotten to about half of the items on the list. And I STILL CHECK THEM OFF sometimes. I am not going to worry about them. I can't. I have too many things to do on a day to day basis. But I have the list as a guide (I like to give the extra chores to disobedient children!) and I am getting a lot of them done.

Today I actually did the Bible reading. I hadn't up until today.

I use the half page weekly version. I like it because:

1. I save paper.
2. It fits nicely on my fridge.
3. I can see the whole week at once.
4. It's easier to print a whole month at a time.

It's early (for me to get started) and I'm ready to tackle today. However I'm glad that the weekend days have very little on them. I have some catch up on laundry and dishes to do from having an "off" week. (Not been feeling well (over tired) with this pregnancy and either a cold or allergies.)

LaDonna, wife to J. Mom to K-8, C-7, H (Mar 14-26, 2004), M-5, W-3, R-1.5 and baby due in August.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 PM

One more attempt at being on the same page: does the upcoming Monday have "Clean stove (outside & top)" as an item? It is the first week of June from 2007, and if they didn't change it, then that's where it should be, as the items you mentioned for last week (first aid kit, organizing desk, etc) were in the previous week.

I just did a general tidy today, and am going to jump in with the printed list tomorrow.

I am a big believer in, if you don't get it done, do not look back! Otherwise it becomes overwhelming, and then nothing gets done, which is how I got into this mess in the first place!

I also want to declutter this June, so am going to get that in, somehow... maybe a room a week? Or something like that.

Excited to be joining, I think I will be a lot more peaceful if my home is cleaner and de-cluttered.

My big big big goal is to establish and maintain a steady routine, so I don't have to do big huge clean-ups anymore.

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 PM

I think I may give this a shot. I'm normally pretty organized but with the upcoming birth of my second babe, I have a feeling that I'd like a list to look at and check off mindlessly...you know? And if anyone offers to give me some help...I don't have to think real hard...just look at the list!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM

You folks have inspired me to try this! I had made my own routine, loosely based on what I knew of flylady, but with two kids now and busy schedules, it wasn't always getting done. When I started doing that, which was basically one room per day, hitting the whole house every other week, I had to adapt to never having the whole place spotless. This is even more of an adjustment. The whole bathroom isn't all clean at once. Definitely more do-able, though.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:

One more attempt at being on the same page: does the upcoming Monday have "Clean stove (outside & top)" as an item? It is the first week of June from 2007, and if they didn't change it, then that's where it should be, as the items you mentioned for last week (first aid kit, organizing desk, etc) were in the previous week.

I just did a general tidy today, and am going to jump in with the printed list tomorrow.

I am a big believer in, if you don't get it done, do not look back! Otherwise it becomes overwhelming, and then nothing gets done, which is how I got into this mess in the first place!

I also want to declutter this June, so am going to get that in, somehow... maybe a room a week? Or something like that.

Excited to be joining, I think I will be a lot more peaceful if my home is cleaner and de-cluttered.

My big big big goal is to establish and maintain a steady routine, so I don't have to do big huge clean-ups anymore.
Yep! That's the one! Looks like we are all on the same page now!

I wish we could have a poll to see what format everyone is using. I'm doing the one that shows a full week on one page. I think I would like the daily one but that would just be way too many pages for me. I still haven't ruled it out for next year though. But if I decide to do the full week again, I will probably just reuse the one I printed this year. I've been using pencil to check the boxes so it should be easy to make it look like new.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:02 PM

to limit paper, I'm doing the full week on half page. I think I like it, but need to highlight the columns like a pp wrote, otherwise it's gets too tiny to really keep accurate track of.
1 week down, and my house is looking pretty good!
~maddymama
Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
Yep! That's the one! Looks like we are all on the same page now!

I wish we could have a poll to see what format everyone is using. I'm doing the one that shows a full week on one page. I think I would like the daily one but that would just be way too many pages for me. I still haven't ruled it out for next year though. But if I decide to do the full week again, I will probably just reuse the one I printed this year. I've been using pencil to check the boxes so it should be easy to make it look like new.
Thanks for checking, glad that I can do this with the rest of you

Day 1 for me went well! I still haven't pampered myself, so think I will run a bath and read a bit of the paper before bed

Curious to know if anyone else did a little pampering.

I think the list makes me feel a little energized and hopeful about the house, but want to take it nice and easy so I don't burn out like the last time.

I'm using the full week on one page format, to save paper. It's on my fridge. It's great since I showed the list to my sons and told them to pick one of the daily tasks and do it before we left today.

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM

I did it! Downloaded it today (half size w/two weeks on it). Since it's late in the day I may not start till tomorrow but we'll see if I get a second wind tonight...

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
I know what you mean, I would like to see what everyone likes & dislikes about what they use. I am using the 1 week per page, but I don't like the daily columns they seem to run together. I'm considering using the half page per day for next year. I am not sure I need the daily time columns but maybe I would use them. I don't use a daily planner, just google calendar/task list. Not sure yet.

Quote:
Thanks for checking, glad that I can do this with the rest of you

Day 1 for me went well! I still haven't pampered myself, so think I will run a bath and read a bit of the paper before bed

Curious to know if anyone else did a little pampering.

I think the list makes me feel a little energized and hopeful about the house, but want to take it nice and easy so I don't burn out like the last time.

I'm using the full week on one page format, to save paper. It's on my fridge. It's great since I showed the list to my sons and told them to pick one of the daily tasks and do it before we left today.
This week I am treating myself to a manicure/pedicure so I will check off pamper yourself when it is done. Other weeks I take a bath & read. I just check it later in the week if I don't do it on Sunday. I like that it is in there. My favorite tasks are pamper yourself, daily exercise, and quiet time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
I did it! Downloaded it today (half size w/two weeks on it). Since it's late in the day I may not start till tomorrow but we'll see if I get a second wind tonight...
Great! Hope you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyjoys View Post
You folks have inspired me to try this! I had made my own routine, loosely based on what I knew of flylady, but with two kids now and busy schedules, it wasn't always getting done. When I started doing that, which was basically one room per day, hitting the whole house every other week, I had to adapt to never having the whole place spotless. This is even more of an adjustment. The whole bathroom isn't all clean at once. Definitely more do-able, though.
Before MM I had a cleaning person come every other week. That day was wonderful. The house was spotless. But that great feeling never lasted long. This year, when I decided to do the cleaning myself, I chose MM because I could handle the small tasks. It wasn't as much of an adjustment as I thouht it would be not having the house all clean at once. Now I feel my house is clean enough ALL the time. I do do a nightly tidy of things, but as far as the actual cleaning of dirt the house is at an acceptable level daily.

Btw, whomever said they use the chores list for 'naughty kids' - that was genious. I have also been pointing to it whenever one of my kids say the 'bored' word.

I was supposed to work today, but they called me off this morning at 0530. SO, off to get my chores done and maybe take the kids swimming and have a picnic lunch. Hope everyone enjoys their day.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Before MM I had a cleaning person come every other week. That day was wonderful. The house was spotless. But that great feeling never lasted long. This year, when I decided to do the cleaning myself, I chose MM because I could handle the small tasks. It wasn't as much of an adjustment as I thouht it would be not having the house all clean at once. Now I feel my house is clean enough ALL the time. I do do a nightly tidy of things, but as far as the actual cleaning of dirt the house is at an acceptable level daily.
This is very inspiring for me. How long did it take for you to feel like that?

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 AM

Ok so I started yesterday and I am pumped

I got the one day per half page with the times for appointments and box for menu plan. I don't use a daytimer so I am hoping this will help me to write appointments down instead of remembering them in my head

Also yesterday I had a massage (It was my mother's day gift and already booked an it was soo nice)

My kitchen looks so much better already and it was so easy to make dinner with an already tidy kitchen and clean sink and counters!

I haven't done everything today, still need to clean the top shelf of fridge and vacuum but DS is now sleeping so will not be vacuuming.

So here is my question for those who are well into MM Do you put the tasks you didn't accomplish today over to tomorrow or do you just leave it knowing that it will come up again soon?

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

User Tag List