Motivated Moms chore list - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just came across this thread and wow, what timing- we really need this!
my husband and i are both untidy people, i'm a packrat, and as a result the house is cluttered with TONS of unnecessary crap which makes tidying difficult and true cleaning downright impossible. i'm overwhelmed, and i think this could help! (though it feels like the house has to be at least "decent" before starting, and right now i'm battling a complete chaotic disaster zone, haha)

can't wait to get started! i'm on a mission now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldensmom09 View Post
i just came across this thread and wow, what timing- we really need this!
my husband and i are both untidy people, i'm a packrat, and as a result the house is cluttered with TONS of unnecessary crap which makes tidying difficult and true cleaning downright impossible. i'm overwhelmed, and i think this could help! (though it feels like the house has to be at least "decent" before starting, and right now i'm battling a complete chaotic disaster zone, haha)

can't wait to get started! i'm on a mission now
It really doesn't have to be clean before hand, it will get better a bit at a time as you go. However, that will probably mean that the things on your list may take a bit more time to do (for instance, you may have to pick up your floor before you can vacuum it). But if you stick to it, the tasks will become simpler because its only been x days/weeks since you last did it and you've been slowly decluttering here and there.

I have been doing a few extra things along the way myself though, because our main problem is that nothing has its own place and we have so many things we don't need (that happens when you go from 2 people in a house to 5 within a few months). So one shelf/container/drawer at a time, I am purging and making a space for things that need to stay and NOTHING is allowed to go there that doesn't belong.

I've also got a few organizational tools to help free up some space or otherwise solve a reoccurring problem. For instance, SO is always complaining because I used his towel or used it for DS. Also, there was only enough space in our tiny bathroom to hang two towel bars (both of which fell down because our walls are so thin) so of course the towels either wound up on the floor, or the bed, or the bathroom counter. So, I went out and bought 4 hooks (they came 2 in a pack) with adhesive backing and 3 brand new towels in 3 different colors (our old ones were looking rough anyway). I put 3 of of the hooks up in our bathroom, one for each of our towels (I got aqua, SO got lime, and DS got yellow ). Now the towels are always hung up, and everyone has their very own towel. And all of the old grubby towels make good rags for cleaning up icky messes.

(Oh, and I know I mentioned there are 5 people here. My sister and her son are the other two people, but they have their own bathroom.)

Also, one of the best things ever so far for controlling mess and clutter has been setting up a space for my SO to put all of his things when he comes in the door. He always uses the same little book shelf, but then things are constantly falling off onto the floor (the shelf is just one of those shallow ones that hangs on the wall). So I took a cloth CD/DVD bin that was just holding clutter (it turned out to be the perfect width for the shelf) for his wallet, phone, little notebooks (he's a server and uses these to take orders) etc., and put a small bowl inside of it for guitar picks and other small things, then an old coffee mug next to it for pens (again, server gear) and the old bowl that matches it for coins (he's BAD about tossing coins everywhere). This also gave me a place to display the plate Bram made for him for his 23rd birthday and I just tucked it behind the bowl. Oh, and I placed that extra hook I didn't need for the bathroom next to his shelf for his belt or whatever else he needs to keep up with but I don't want on my floor. So all of that was done with things I already had but wasn't using, except for the hook, which cost be about $1. Its been a few days now though and it actually looks the same! Before, I could not keep that shelf neat and organized for more than 24 hours!

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM

urchin We made prayer flags out of tissue paper and then I strung them around the kitchen. The eye sees the fluttery colorful flags instead of the holes in the walls! Or at least, that's the idea.

I agree that at first some tasks take a lot longer, but I really like the "slow but steady" improvement process. I just have to remind myself to do what I can and not stress... the task will come up again in a bit!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I agree, Wombat, with the "slow but steady".... I also remind myself that *anything* I do is better than nothing........
~maddymama
Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I agree that at first some tasks take a lot longer, but I really like the "slow but steady" improvement process. I just have to remind myself to do what I can and not stress... the task will come up again in a bit!
I think I need to be easier on myself too....I was doing really well at this week till this week, and found myself thinking 'failure' thoughts this morning, but I have to cut myself some slack!

SAHM to three
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I think I need to be easier on myself too....I was doing really well at this week till this week, and found myself thinking 'failure' thoughts this morning, but I have to cut myself some slack!

I fell off the wagon for a week before we went on vacation, and we have houseguests coming tomorrow -- this was a big crash-and-burn combination!!! But my parents, heaven bless them, came over this afternoon and spent three hours helping me get caught up on all my deep-cleaning, and now I have so little to do that I'm goofing off on MDC rather than scrubbing while DH takes DD for a walk. Now I'm going to go take a bubble bath.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

But my parents, heaven bless them, came over this afternoon and spent three hours helping me get caught up on all my deep-cleaning,
WOW!!! You are sooo lucky to have such wonderful parents that they were willing to help you clean today. I'm jealous.....
~maddymama
Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
WOW!!! You are sooo lucky to have such wonderful parents that they were willing to help you clean today. I'm jealous.....
~maddymama
Yeah...I am jelly too!

But that's great they helped you.

SAHM to three
Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Late, but I'm in. If anyone else wants to join, it's on sale for $4.00!!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 PM

I just downloaded it. I got another dollar off with the code "giveaways". now I just have to print it. We just moved, so the house is a wreck.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 PM

I don't have a printer and in an effort to cut clutter... I just write the day's tasks on a dry erase board on our fridge. I cross things off as I go and wipe the board clean each night.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 PM

I just downloaded it too.
My main reasons for wanting to start this are that, like many of you mentioned, when I say we need to clean the bathroom or living room or boys' bedroom, the task seems really big and too ambiguous to really feel like I'm ever "finished". That and I never seem to get much help around the house and I'm tired of snapping because everything is messy and no one will help me. I think that if I tell my husband and older son to pick one or two chores off of the list to do each day, it will work better than just telling them to "clean the kitchen" or "do the laundry". Then they get to choose which chore they do, and I don't care what they do as long as it's SOMETHING.

Has this worked for anyone as far as getting more help around the house?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's Mama View Post
I think that if I tell my husband and older son to pick one or two chores off of the list to do each day, it will work better than just telling them to "clean the kitchen" or "do the laundry". Then they get to choose which chore they do, and I don't care what they do as long as it's SOMETHING.
i think this is a FANTASTIC idea and will totally be doing it too. i'll see how much help i need, and go from there- maybe my husband can pick 2 things to do each day. that's not really asking much, and like you said, it is choice instead of nagging. i think (hope!) it will work!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM

So have any of you done today's yet? O....M.....G. Please tell me it gets easier!!!! I'm just now sitting down to rest. Granted, DH works 60-hour weeks and my children are 3 and almost 1. So it's not like I've got help lined up. Then I have to stop to break up toy drama, nurse the wee one, change diapers...Yikes!

Maybe once everything is clean, it will be easier to clean it again with this list. I managed to sneak out to sweep my front porch and UGH! It took forever, no thanks to all of the neglect.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 PM

I think (trust!) that it does get easier, and, on that theory, if I am having a busy day I just do my best to sort of do whatever it is (like, my porch is half covered with a farm machine and some tools. yeah, it would be great if I were to move all that and then sweep, but it ain`t happenin` yet, so I call it good to sweep the empty half of the porch). Maybe the next time that chore comes along I will be able to do a better job, but in the meantime, it is better thn it was!

and then, today, hey, all we have to do is change towels and water plants, and then feel good about a checked off list.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 PM

I purchased MM about a month ago (just a few days shy of the sale...oops). It's been really good for me. I'm not generally a clean person. I pretty much skip half of the daily tasks but my home still looks considerably better than it ever did before. I am a SAHM to I to a 4yo, a 2yo, and am 30 weeks pregnant. DH works about 60-80 hours per week so I have to do it all myself. I tend to stick with the big things, like vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the toilet, but skip things like dusting, washing walls, and cleaning out brushes if I'm feeling too tired. My office is a total nightmare so I skip all of those things too. Decluttering my desk would take 2 hours! I know that the longer I stick with things, the quicker my list will get done. Even now, on Fridays when I have to do the quick tidy in every room, it takes about 10 minutes total (if I skip the office). Last month that would have taken me an hour!

I just want all you perfectionists to know that if you miss a task, it's no big deal! Your home will still look great!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
I just want all you perfectionists to know that if you miss a task, it's no big deal! Your home will still look great!
Thank you

Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 AM

Yes, it does get easier! It really is so much quicker to do everything once you are doing it on a regular basis.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:58 AM

Definitely gets easier. It gets to the point where you are maintaining rather than deep cleaning like the first time around.

Just stick with it!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I agree it does get easier, but I have to admit that I have been basically 'off the wagon' most of this summer. I just can't seem to get a system down with the kids home and my motivation is non-existent.

Once the kids are back in school, I know this will get better again. Having this thread still going is so great, because I am not sure i would get back on track if I didn't read it...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM

I have fallen off the wagon this week too.. it hasn't been a very good week (lots of fighting between me and DH, sucked) but amazingly my house doesn't even look that bad!! So, as a testament to the fact that decluttering and MM works quite well.. you CAN let things go and get back on track pretty quick!! With the exception of the toys strewn all over my family room (unavoidable... 1 and 2 year old have been up and playing for a few hours) my house is back to being mostly company ready with like an hour of work this morning

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 07-31-2010, 04:36 PM

i've decided that i'm not starting until monday

this weekend i'm getting rid of some crap and generally making the house at least not look like a cyclone just went through, then i think i'll feel fresh to start when i can actually see a light at the end of the tunnel...
Old 07-31-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
I just downloaded it. I got another dollar off with the code "giveaways". now I just have to print it. We just moved, so the house is a wreck.
Thanks for the code. I just downloaded it. I have looked at it many times over the years but never thought it would work for me. Now I finally have my house decluttered to the point where I feel this can work. I love the idea I read upthread to have other capable household members pick 2 things to do...I have two boys who I have let slack way to much and being a single mom I really can use their help! Hopefully this will help them feel they have some "choice". My house needs a good cleaning up after 2 days of slacking..so I am off to do that and will start MM tomorrow.I look forward to keeping up with others on this thread

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM

Thank you for the code! That combined with the sale finally convinced me to purchase it. I'm hoping to become disgustingly organized now...

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Glad to see some new people jump on board! I love reading this thread and getting encouragement to keep on keeping on with it. Just having the list is helpful to see what should be done. I thought the list would become depressing if I didn't do the items but it still gives me a guide to follow.

LaDonna, wife to J. Mom to K-8, C-7, H (Mar 14-26, 2004), M-5, W-3, R-1.5 and baby due in August.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Back on track this morning. I print the weekly sheet, so i can just throw out last week and not think about what didn't get done anymore. I completed yesterday & most of today's chores. My dd19 will sweep & vacuum today. I also assigned several other tasks to her during the week.

I am hoping to stay on track this week before I leave town. I will be gone for 2 weeks, but have asked dd19 to take over the list while I am gone. She only works part time and school is out for the next 3 weeks, so I think it is reasonable she take over the chores while I am gone. After all, she has free rent!

Great to see the new faces here. It keeps me going! Welcome....
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM

I have been printing them out weekly too but we are out of ink at the moment... I either need to walk down to the neighborhood center this morning and print a few more weeks or experiment with using my white board. I was thinking I could write the weekly stuff in permanent marker (so it won't erase) and then the daily stuff in dry erase pen and I will just write it up every day...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM

My white board...

I wrote the "every day chores" (customized for my life ) on a piece of paper about the width of a bookmark. I taped this to the left hand side of the white board. Next to each item on that list I make a dot with a dry erase pen... when I do the chore I draw a line through the dot. At the end of the day I wipe them all off and re-dot.

The "do on this day" tasks I write on the right hand side of the white board. I cross them off as I go and wipe them clean each night.

I had planned on using a sharpie and writing the daily chores on the white board but I wanted to be able to cusromize as I use the program. Like, I'll be adding "homeschool" to the daily list in a few weeks. And I found that tasks got done more easily if I organized them by time of day (all the morning things, then afternoon things, etc)... so with tasks written on the paper I could rearrange/add/remove items until it worked "just right". I'm still tweaking it, but I may get to the "sharpie" moment soon.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but I like having the different colors so I can see what has been missed (or what item I never get to and should probably re-consider), and I really enjoy wiping the board each night.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this! Some days I'll do extra chores, other days I'll do fewer, depending on whether or not I take my little darlings to the park. (I DO want to have a life, you know ) I'll post more when I get more in the swing of things.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 PM

So, I made my first white board attempt. I put the daily chores (minus making beds and preparing tomorrows clothes) in sharpie with 7 boxes next to them and I have been checking the boxes as I do them each day. Then under that writing the chores for that day each morning in dry erase pen and just erasing them as I go. So far I like doing it like that because if something doesn't get done one day I can leave it on for the next day!

User Tag List