How many pairs of pajamas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally registered on the site (yay!), though I have been lurking for a long time now.

My question is, how many pairs of pajamas is a good number for kids? I have a 7 yo ds and a 3 yo dd. How often do you wash their pajamas? Also, do your kids have the same pajamas all year, or do you have cold weather pajamas and warm weather pajamas?

Thanks!

Mom to two, wife to one
#2 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 AM

I have one 9 year old DD. She wears her jammies twice before tossing them in the laundry sorter. She has cool weather pajamas (pants and long-sleeve tops) and warm weather pajamas (wide variety of options). I don't worry about a specific number of pajamas. I let her ask for whatever she wants for her birthday and Christmas from others and we fill in as needed. I generally do a load of laundry every day, which works out to everything being washed once a week or thereabouts. At this time of year in our climate, she wears every pair of jammies she owns and I think she has 6-7 pair. She is quickly outgrowing the cool season ones and is down to 1-2 pairs of long bottoms fitting her. She is making do until next "winter". (Our winters are mild.)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 02:16 AM

My kids have about five or six pair each in rotation. They wear them two or three times before I wash them, but they often end up bakc in the drawer so I don't know what's clean or what's dirty. We have winter and summer jams, but my dd would be happy to sleep in her undies every night - she's a very hot sleeper. I've decided next season (summer) they each get two or three tops. The youngest will be just starting to sleep without a night diaper so we expect some accidents, but we do laundry almost every day, and if we run out of clean jams I guess we just turn to t-shirts and sweats or something.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#4 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 AM

right around 5 pairs each, they usually only wear them once since they eat breakfast in them a lot of the time they sleep in just undies/diaper too. its hot enough here for that in the summer.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#5 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 AM

Each has about 5 pairs of pjs. They have one fleece pair for winter, but we live in a warm climate so I don't worry too much about winter jammies and summer jammies. DS1 sleeps a lot in sweatpants and tee shirts too.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#6 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 AM

I would say my son (age 8) and one of my daughters (age 15) each have about 8 pairs of winter ones plus about the same of summer ones....

My older daughter has fewer, she is also better at re-wearing and not tossing in the wash so often.

However of course my 8 year old is growing whereas my 15 year old has stopped growing...so he is wearing a mix of ones that are in various stages of being too small or too big...either too short or needing to be rolled up.

Off topic but I was just thinking last night about how I so much prefer better quality PJs on him...the cheaper ones I have bought look tatty after a few washes...whereas the nice gap and gymboree ones still look gorgeous.

SAHM to three
#7 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
my kids have 2-3 warm weather ones and 2-3 cool weather ones. I like that amount in case I get behind in laundry, and I like having options.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM

zero - DS wears his shirt to bed (or sometimes a clean one if the day's shirt is really dirty...)
#9 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM

We have WAAAAY too many! We have had so many hand-me-downs I am ashamed to say 4-yr old DD probably has 6 prs winter/6-7 prs summer...she wears once. 7-yr old DS has about 3-4 prs summer and ~5 prs winter. He wear them twice. I have not taken out off-season pjs since they like to wear them year-round. Might need to soon though, so I can close the drawers a bit easier!
#10 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post
We have WAAAAY too many! We have had so many hand-me-downs I am ashamed to say 4-yr old DD probably has 6 prs winter/6-7 prs summer...she wears once. 7-yr old DS has about 3-4 prs summer and ~5 prs winter. He wear them twice. I have not taken out off-season pjs since they like to wear them year-round. Might need to soon though, so I can close the drawers a bit easier!
Must admit I don't consider that way too many...in our house I wouldn't anyway

Because my kids love to 'live' in their PJs on days when they are not going out...they will keep them on all day sometimes!

SAHM to three
#11 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM

LOL, Cee! Perhaps it is that their pj drawers are not too large, so having 9-14 prs shoved in there seems like too many, lol!

I would LIVE in my pjs if I could (wait, I purged so many I am down to 3 for summer, so living in them for me unless I do laundry more often, lol!).
#12 of 24 Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM

We cut pjs down to three pairs per child. With the exception of the new baby, we have more for him but that's because I don't usually do outfits for little squishy babies, they pretty much live in nightgowns or sleepers around here.

But for my 1 and 3 year old they each have three and we wash them after one use. Actually right now my 3 year old only has two because one pair is at Gramma's.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#13 of 24 Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
Must admit I don't consider that way too many...in our house I wouldn't anyway

Because my kids love to 'live' in their PJs on days when they are not going out...they will keep them on all day sometimes!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#14 of 24 Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 AM

I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. My 1 year old probably has 10 sets, my 3 year old 7. I wash PJs once a week. They wear them one day and throw them in the wash since they eat breakfest and neither is a neat eater. Also, my 1 year old has a tendency to wake up when Im showering and decide to join me in the shower while in her PJs. Soaking wet PJs=automatic wash.
I don't consider it having to much if they are all regularly worn. I downsize when I realize Im reusing the same ones over and over and others aren't being used for weeks. Then I know I have to many.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 24 Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow! i would have never thought people had so many pjs. 9yr dd usually has 1, mostly due to school having a pj day or for overnights (camp/sleepovers)

mostly dd sleeps in a t-shirt (one of hers, mine or dh) but nothing set aside as just for bed

lo just sleeps in a onesie

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#16 of 24 Old 04-30-2010, 02:11 PM

My two girls (3 1/2 and 5) each have two pair of summer weight and two pair of winter weight pjs. I have them wear the same pair 3 or 4 days then switch to the other pair for the rest of the week. I only do laundry on weekends.
#17 of 24 Old 04-30-2010, 02:55 PM

DD has two sets of footed blanket sleepers, 2 sets of "offical" pjs (tinkerbell and disney princesses), and everything else is large t-shirts.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#18 of 24 Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Three seasons - summer, winter and spring/autumn. Three pairs each season - one worn, one in the wash, one spare.

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#19 of 24 Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
MJB

I think my 7 yr. old has about 6 and my 4 yr. old has 10+. I think that is way too many! They are all long pants. In the summer they sleep in undies and a tank top.
#20 of 24 Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM

we have about 7 pairs each...but we are still not completely dry every single night...that makes a big difference. if they stay dry, i wash them every 2nd or 3rd day...but they sometimes wake up wet or get breakfast on them. we have summer and winter too...as we keep our house cooler in the winter and much warmer in the summer.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#21 of 24 Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 AM

Goodness, y'all have lots of jammies for your kids! Growing up, we had maybe 2 pr at once for each season. You rewore them for at least several days. Even now, unless it's hot and sweaty in the summer, I'll wear them for a week.

lady.gif
#22 of 24 Old 05-07-2010, 09:45 AM

We no longer really have pjs. My boys rarely wore them and I didn't like the non organic or tight fitting kind. So they just wear t shirts and cozy bottoms. It feels weird for them not to have them.
I am thinking of making a pair for them each year around the holidays so they could have a pair if they wish.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#23 of 24 Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM

I just asked my son (7.5) and he said "like 10 or something" lol

But I think for him it's more like 2 sets of actual jammies (he is particular to long comfy pants and will often just wear the pants without the shirt) OR big tshirts and no pants. He often sleeps in what shirt he wore that day or will wear the next and as long as it's not dirty or smelly I don't care. I love getting halloween pjs, because it's my favorite time!

DD (almost 9) has a few sets as well, I can count on hand 3 that I know of and she also does the big tshirt thing as well. Her thing is that she loves her robe and always wants one, hates when she outgrows.

DS2 (3 years) had a ton during the winter, handmedowns from my boss, and they were gorgeous, fleece gap zippers, nice cotton pant/t sets, etc. And he wore them, but he doesn't like pjs much now (potty learned finally!) and wants to also sleep in just undies and a tee most of the time. He has one set of (cars!) summer pjs. That's been enough this spring.

In my perfect world, and I have had this before, and will again after I cull the winter crap from the rooms....

DD-2-3 sets, 1 robe
DS-2 pj pants or shorts
DS2- 2 sets

Rewear at least once, wash 1-2 times a week, I do a load of laundry every day so they always can get thrown in.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#24 of 24 Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM

In the winter time, they each have 3 or 4 pairs of jammies, which is plenty... I do laundry every single day, so they always have a pair clean.

In the summer, they just wear t-shirts & comfy cotton shorts, which also double as playclothes. No need for extra jammies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page