Tiny houses... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you live in a tiny house...500 square feet or less? If not, would you with kids? I am looking to buy/build a tiny house for myself and my children and would love some visual inspiration. I LOVE the tumbleweed houses, but obviously wouldn't be able to live in 100 sq ft with four children. I might build one of their houses in the 350-500 sq foot range. I'm attending one of their workshops in July and am super excited. We are already minimalists, and do not gather "stuff". I'd rather a tiny interior space with large yard or acreage, even in the winter we're outside most of the time. I'd love to hear from other families who are living large in tiny spaces be it a boat, bus, rv, or a tiny house, or those who are still aspiring to live this way.

Blessed be,

MoonMama
#2 of 8 Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not, but I love the tiny houses... so cool. I don't think I could personally pull it off, but i'm gonna subscribe to this thread for inspiration!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 PM

ooo...i think the whidbey with the extra room could EASILY hold your family. the split lofts would make great "bedrooms" to give the kids some privacey. i would love to open up the side of the kitchen into the great room...you would lose some upper cabinet space...but i think an open floor plan would be ideal for a small home. i wish i could find pics of furnished and lived in tiny homes...it would give me some ideas for ours.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#4 of 8 Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

i was thinking the same thing about the whidby.

i love these houses. i would probably put all 4 children in bunks that have bed curtains so that they have a sense of privacy in a space, but the space can be shared. i would use the front bedroom for crafting/homeschooling/sun room fun; and use the back bedroom for myself.

--

i love small, cosy house plans and the design, but my husband seems opposed to them. i believe that this is because he grew up in a small, and desperately cluttered home that his parents were always ashamed of.

i've always liked small, efficient homes that are well cared for and uncluttered.
#5 of 8 Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 PM

i'm not sure that would work zoebird...the loft is not full height...i think you may have to do beds with just a mattress and no boxsprings or maybe even a mattress on the floor. but with 2 lofts it would be plenty of floor space for 4 kids. ...or maybe i missed something? i do love looking at all those little plans.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#6 of 8 Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 AM

We live in a 520 sq ft house, bunk beds and wall beds have made a huge difference and we live outside when the weather is nice.

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
#7 of 8 Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Banned

right, that was a confusing use of terms. i didn't mean "bunk beds" but that each bed would have some kind of curtaining around it so that there's a sense of privacy. each having their own "bunk" in that way. i know. confusing. it's from living in NZ, we use different slang here.

we live in probably 500 or less, and if we stay in this space until DS moves to his own bed, then we'll probably get him a murphy bed to put in the lounge.
#8 of 8 Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 AM

Ours - kinda new to us - is 420 square feet, and it is, actually, a bit tight. I do have too much stuff though.

Downsized from around 1500sf. We'll be doing the compartment bed plan, but haven't built any yet. Just drawing up the plans, now that we've sorta figured out a place for everyone. Currently it's a couple of futons for dd & ds, & little ds sleeps in my bed (he has a futon, but it rarely gets opened out).

It's actually OK when it's just the family at home. But when the kids have any significant number of friends over, it's a much bigger impact on me than it was in the other house. Now, when there are extra kids here, I really notice them. You can't not. It overflows quickly.

I may end up adding on another room just for that reason. I never wanted to be the mom who tells my kids' friends they have to go away. (That's what my mom always did, for some reason.... no kids allowed inside except family.)

It's more than $1000 less than my previous mortgage, & at this time I'm making about half the money as usual ~ so lowering expenses works out fine in that regard!

We've only just moved in, though...... I'll let you know in a few months how it's working out.

Ours is not new.... I wish. It's about 60 years old. It's got potential ~ & can be cozy I can afford it.

My kids (19, 16, & 9) happen to be awesomely good sports, which really helps. I'm sure they miss having their own rooms etc., but they aren't complaining.... They're just acting like it's normal - & BTW it is definitely NOT the norm in our area. I don't even know anybody living in a house this small alone, much less with a family.

A cool development is that (despite some misgivings about how they'd react) my kids' friends are simply following their lead & acting like it's all normal too ~ like sure, "Doesn't everyone sleep in the same room with their mom, two siblings, a dog, stove, fridge, big bookshelves spanning the room, dining table & chairs, mom's sewing area & much too much fabric..." Yep, just your average family home...

~~Alley~~
single mom to dd, ds1 & ds2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page