Storage containers in the kitchen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have such a hodge-podge of storage pieces and as things are breaking/getting lost, I would like to make things more cohesive.

1) What kinds of containers do you use (glass, Pyrex, Tupperware/other plastic, etc.)

2) How many of each size do you tend to keep?

3) What kind of organization do you use for them?

Thanks, everyone!
Tina
#2 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm having similar issues and have similar questions!

Glass-lock?

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

My Mom has such a great system for she and my Dad...nesting glass bowls with glass lids (not airtight, but never had any problems since they tend to eat leftovers the next day or so) and Tupperware (supposed to be BPA-free) in nesting tall rectangulars (great for freezing soups and sauces) and bowls (great for storing pasta, etc. in the fridge).

Right now, I have so many things. I have 2 Pyrex, 2 Anchor-Hocking nesting glass bowls with plastic lids, 5 Pampered Chef 1 c prep bowl set with plastic lids (like little souffle cups), loads of various sized and shaped Tupperware...UGH! The T-ware I have is about 3-4 different types, so nothing nests (but I use it all at one point or another)...

I was looking at the Glass-lock containers as well! Hoping to hear from some others to help us in our quest, gmvh
#4 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Are you talking about storage for leftovers? For that i have some locking plastic, and i reuse smaller glass jars a few times before i recycle them.

For other food storage, like dry stuff, I use glass containers i got from Target and World Market. Round ones sit on the counter with my flours and sugars. I have rectangle ones for other flours in a little cabinet. I use old pasta sauce jars for things like grains i buy in bulk.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#5 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM

I have just invested in a new set of Tupperware containers for the cabinets (They don't sell in the US though) They are air tight, don't leak liquids and stack. I use various sizes for all my dry goods like flour, sugar, starch and the like. The cabinets look neat and orderly and I see right away what is in them.

For the fridge I use Pyrex for left overs as they can go straight into the microwave and Tupperware that stacks (they too don't sell in the US ) for cold cuts and cheeses. I make sure I don't have miss matched items in the kitchen. Because if they don't stack they tend to slide around the cabinet and fridge and stuff gets lost and spoils before I find it again.

In my last kitchen I had all dry goods in glass jars with hinged lids from Ikea. Now with the new house and new kitchen I don't have the space for them as I now have more cabinets and less open shelves. And they are very heavy too.
#6 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Nolansmummy, sorry - yes, glass containers for fridge stuff...I have T-ware for my pantry which I could not live without, lol!

Journey, of COURSE T-ware would not sell these wonderful things here, lol, especially since I lived in Germany for 3 yrs lol!

I *love* my Modular Mates for my pantry...just wish I could find something I loved equally for the fridge, tee hee!
#7 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post

Journey, of COURSE T-ware would not sell these wonderful things here, lol, especially since I lived in Germany for 3 yrs lol!

LOL I'm sorry. But I had to write that since it wouldn't help to tell you what containers they are

The Pyrex for the fridge work great. I've had my set for about 6 years now. The plastic lids get kinda cloudy over time but the glass is still in good shape. WE LOVE the rectangular containers with lid. I use them for breading fish and meat and for marinating anything from veggies to meat. And my DH loves them for keeping meat warm in when it comes off the grill.

Greetings from Germany
#8 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Journey, do the Pyrex containers nest fairly well (how many will nest) for storage?

Ah, sweet sweet Minimal and yummy foods... How I miss all the wonders of Deutschland!!
#9 of 14 Old 05-09-2010, 07:17 PM

I have 3 small glass Pyrex bowls with lids, and both sizes of the Preserve BPA free bowls (from Frontier). I use the Preserve bowls as dishes for the kids too. Then if they don't finish eating I just throw the lid on it.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#10 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post
Journey, do the Pyrex containers nest fairly well (how many will nest) for storage?

Ah, sweet sweet Minimal and yummy foods... How I miss all the wonders of Deutschland!!

Yes they do. I have 3 of the rectangular containers stacked without the lids. The bottoms are smaller then the top of each container so they nest well. I'm sure more would work too but my shelve might not like the weight of it

The round bowls have different sizes.

Yeah. This place is so cool we decided to stay a while longer
#11 of 14 Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM

I have the IKEA 354+ foodsavers (This is one but they have a variety of sizes http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70128585 )

They stack, its really easy to see which lid goes to which container, and many of the lids are compatible with each other (one square, one small rectangle, and one large rectangle. We got rid of most of our other storage containers after buying these.

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#12 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM

One word for the Tupperware Stack... Ebay.

I use the glass pyrex storage bowls for my leftovers. I like that glass won't absorb anything from tomato sauces, and there is never any residue smell.

I have a few pieces of Tupperware (cereal containers, the spaghetti containers, and a juice pitcher), but I am about to change all my other storage to glass, wide-mouth, canning jars. They are cheaper, and I think they look cute in a country house.
#13 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 PM
LZP

We use mostly round pyrex with the blue plastic lids. i also have some anchor hocking that is the same size, but the lids aren't as nice. thought I was saving a bit of cash, but they ended up disappointing me. (all lids dont fit on all containers, despite being same brand/size. weird. )

we have I think eight 2-cup bowls, four one cup bowls, two 7 cup bowls, and one 5 cup. the rounds dont nest as well, but i figure it forces me to use leftovers, and if we're running low on containers, the fridge probably needs to be cleaned out! I'd like one more of each of the larger sizes.

We lean the lids against the back of the cabinet in a line, and they stay just fine. Our cabinet looks so nice, with simple clear containers stacked up instead of the old hodge podge of 8,000 plastic things in different sizes and colors!

we have a pyrex/corning outlet about an hour away, and that's where I plan to pick up some rectangular ones when i can ustify the expense. they also have a website where you might find some good deals...?
I agree with a PP that the wide mouth mason/canning jars would work nicely for some things too.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#14 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I hit Bed, Bath, and Beyond today and snagged a 6-pc Pyrex glass bowl (3) with lids. I had a 20% of coupon, and they have a $5 mail-in rebate, so $12 for the set, woo hoo! I have already taken out the corresponding T-ware bowls and washed the glass ones to put them in their new home

I know I will need to keep a few items in T-ware: 2 sandwich containers (I also have fabric sandwich wrappers, but there are times I need the air tight, harder container unfortunately), one larger square container for DH to carry baked goods into work, and one perfectly-sized round lunch container for leftovers for DH for work.

For those of you glass gals, do you use any T-ware, and how do you get around it with younger children packing lunches or hubbies and their lunches for work? I am open for suggestions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page