Hard-Core toy declutterers, come help me! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I really want the most ruthless of you to give me your answers! And I really appreciate the input, even before there's been any! I just need some ideas to toss around in my head!

My kids don't play with toys very much, and they're just as happy doing housework or playing with a spoon or something as they are toys. So when you're cutting back, how far do you go? I mean, honestly, do you keep only toys that get played with on a daily basis? A weekly basis? What about the toys that get played with a few times a month?

I don't really like the idea of rotating toys. I know which toys come and go in their interests (kitchen stuff, for example) and I'm willing to just wait it out until the next "interested" period comes along. For the most part, I feel like if I have to put toys away and pull them back out to make them interesting, it's just not that good of a toy. It's a toy that's only interesting when it's new, and I'm not really happy to have that kind of toy around. (I kind of feel that way about toys that are only interesting when they make lights and sounds...sometimes that's integral to the toy, and sometimes it's the only thing making a toy interesting, if you know what I mean.) DS will play with anything for the first 15 minutes it comes out of storage. And then it will never get played with again. He does have toys that he plays with every single day and never gets tired of, so I know that they exist! DD so far is pickier, she won't play with anything at all unless she loves it, new or old.

Oh, and I can't put everything away and see what DS asks for, because if he can't see it, he'll never play with it. Can't use a toy box, or solid baskets, or anything. Pictures on the outside of boxes help a little bit. If it's out of sight, it's out of mind, pretty much. I can think of two or three things that don't apply to that, but it's how he's always been since he was a tiny baby! If I put away everything, he would never ask for anything other than a few small beloved things (a couple specific action figures, and a few other things he considers his "treasures"...it could all fit in a shoe box with extra room!)

I am going to keep a small box of toys in the closet "for a rainy day"...mostly open ended stuff that is too overwhelming when out (we have a boatload of blocks and megabloks) or stuff they might grow into (cars and trains, for example), but I don't want that box to get too big.

So where do you draw the line? What's your particular set of "rules" for the toy de-clutter? Thanks!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 PM

I don't really have any ideas for you as I was just about to come here and post almost this EXACT same thread. I will be keeping an eye out for others ideas tho... my only thought so far has been to get rid of anything broken, which I did. Then I put away small pieces of things that they are too young for now, like.. I am not into rotating toys either but my boys are almost 1 and 2 and they love their trains but aren't quite old enough for the signs and trees and people that they have for it.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#3 of 32 Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 PM

I just did a major decluttering of toys and I plan to go back and do some more because as I look around, I still feel like we have way too much!

I kept things they use within 1-2 weeks time or things that I thought they would grow into (hand-me-downs from older siblings) and pack those away. I also kept specific seasonal toys (sand toys, kites, outdoor stuff...). I tried to keep anything open-ended and got rid of most of the one-use-only stuff!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#4 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 12:44 AM

Lexmas-I think you already answered your question-keep the toys that they play with on a weekly to monthly basis. I have gotten rid of half our toys, anything junky (I hate flashing lights, noise makers), anything broken or mismatched.

I do keep some toys that aren't played with that often if they are a learning toy that I think is a skill they should have-like strings and beads, DS plays with them maybe once a month (he's 4, DD is 1), there are puppet toys DS has never touched, but they are really cool animals and I am hoping that DD will get into them. I have noticed that since we have less toys DS is more creative with whatever he has.

I do rotate toys, because there are rainy days that we are stuck inside and it's always great to have something up my sleeve. I have 'hidden' them in closets that its ok for DS to go into and he thinks it is fun to 'discover' what I have hidden away.

I am not as hardcore as some, but we have few enough toys out that it takes only 5 minutes to clean each room that has toys and DS is capable of cleaning up the toys by himself, though we most often help. Our outside toys are less managed because I don't want to spend $$ on one of those plastic containers and the toys out there are bulky.

We create our own reality.
#5 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
we have the same issue here, my kids are young so they aren't into building toys or smaller toys yet but as of now they could care less about toys. my ds just wants whatever his big sister has - and its usually not a toy

mama to one '07 and one '09
#6 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

i don't have rules, but if i did have toys to declutter and my little one was too young to do it himself, i would keep what he uses and loves the most and remove the rest. you can always build back up with birthdays and holidays after that if need be.

my guy has very little (more than a shoebox though) and plays with all of it, and i'm careful what i bring in. he has a whole drawer full of plastic bins--such as old yogurt containers, juice bottles and the like--that he really enjoys. LOL free toys!
#7 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 AM

Toys is such a hard one!

I have at times thrown out heaps when the kids were at school then had one of my daughters upset about the fact I had got rid of a particular toy..

So with my youngest (currently 8) I changed tactics and tried going through the toys with him...he seems to know exactly which ones he wants and doesn't want.

However he still has toys that he says he wants, and yet I don't see him playing with them.....hmmm, will have to have another go at encouraging him to get rid of some more.

SAHM to three
#8 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM

I recently went through this when we decided to turn the playroom into an office/guestroom. I found myself going through toys thinking "oh I can't get rid of this or that or this..because they still play with these" then I had one of those aha moments. When we are at the doctors office waiting or wherever, my kids create toys- magazine inserts become houses and coins from my purse are people (you get the idea). Having fewer toys requires them to be more creative and they will always find stuff to play with.
So we decided to let each kid keep 4 categories of toys and everything else went to goodwill. For my dd that was dressups, tea party, books and stuffies. For my son that was legos, books, star wars and games. They have easels on the back patio for art. Now all their toys fit in their bedroom and hardly take up any space. It is sooooo nice!

Our pediatrician says the only toys a kid needs are sunscreen and bugspray. We are not quite there yet, but it is a nice idea.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#9 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM

I just went through all of dd's toys, and bagged up all the infant toys she hasn't played with in a while. I'm keeping them for the new baby. Then, I picked up all the little "accessory" pieces that she doesnt use, and tossed those in the bag, too. Then I picked out any other toys that I haven't seen her interested in for a while, and tossed those in the bag. I ended up completely emptying one of her plastic toy bins (those big storage bins). She still has one bin downstairs in the living room, plus her trike, easle, and megablocks and megablocks wagon, and books. Upstairs, she has two small bins, her other trike, ball bin, and a few more books. It does sound like a lot now that it's all written out, but everything has a place. I'd like to get a toy shelf, with clear platic bins on it, so she can quickly see what toys she has. Her dragons and her cars are her favorites, but they are small and relatively heavy, so they always end up at the bottom of the bin, where she forgets about them.
#10 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM

I need to do this too, but it's hard b/c my older DD DOES play with 99% of what she has. My DH and dad say she has too many stuffed animals, but she plays with and sleeps with all of them on a daily basis. I have no idea where to start and our house is too small to rotate toys b/c I have no where to store them in the meantime.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#11 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 PM

I had a huge stuffed animal / doll collection when I was a kid. I ended up getting some clothesline strung from the floor to ceiling (using eyehooks, if I remember correctly, to make it taunt) and then clipped all the toys to the line with clothespins. It kept them off the ground, and I could see all of them. Would that work for your DD?
#12 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM

we are working on this too. this is what we have for dd age 3 and ds age 18 months:

wooden trains/track - love these, use daily
unit blocks - love thse, use daily
baby dolls/cradle/stroller - love these, use daily
cars and balls - love these, use daily
kitchen/food/dishes - love these, use daily
crayons and notebook - love these, draw daily
books - love these, use daily (but we have a very limited collection...only the BEST)

play dough, lacing toys, puzzles - use weekly
wooden doll house/dolls/furniture - use weekly
dress up clothes - use weekly
simple games - use weekly

tent, bicycles, big balls - use whenever outside or in basement
sand box, bubbles, balls - play with outside

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#13 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM

i say, keep only what they use on a very regular basis. but also limit the total amount of stuff, based on your space. kids just don't need that much...i know we have too much. but we have very generous fmaily who have bought beautiful wooden, quality toys...so i hesitate to get rid of much more, at this point.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#14 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Start small with any broken or incomplete(lost parts).

Then take notes on what they do play with.

Good luck.
#15 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM

I agree that the best thing is to take note of the things your kiddos play with on a regular basis. I have often boxed up many toys, then give the kids so many weeks/month(s) and if they do not ask for them after so long, the toys go away...many times unbeknownst to my babies.

FoxInTheSnow, I LOVE your idea of 4 categories! Perfect!

For us it has gotten easier with DS with age - he is now 7 and this weekend we went through all of his things together. He basically kept Bakugan, workbooks (for summer and even when he gets bored in the early AM or before bed), a select few spy toys, 1 medium-sized tub of Legos, his Nerf foam shooter, books, and games. Our issue is games - we have A TON between both kids and our own...however, they are super for our kids' ages, great for learning, family game night, and play dates, so for the moment, they stay.

DD is 4.5 and has her dolls (and tons of clothes and some furniture - 18" variety, so that eats most of her space), a shoebox of Barbies and mini American girl dolls, a basket of homemade Barbie furniture we fashioned out of recyclables, books, dress-up...so much!

Now we have #3 (a boy!) on the way and are starting from scratch with him, which is pretty exciting to me - I plan to begin things very anti-clutter and add toys in a very concise, purposeful way, rather than buy willy nilly.
#16 of 32 Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I am not into rotating toys either but my boys are almost 1 and 2 and they love their trains but aren't quite old enough for the signs and trees and people that they have for it.
I did this same thing before, when DS played with his trains! I actually think bunches of his toys are too old for him, so I'm putting them away and I'll probably just re-gift (can you re-gift someone their own stuff? ) to him later. He's three, so he won't remember that he had it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post
I kept things they use within 1-2 weeks time or things that I thought they would grow into (hand-me-downs from older siblings) and pack those away.
Thanks for the timeframe! Isn't it crazy how you can get rid of so much and still have too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy Kaby View Post
I do keep some toys that aren't played with that often if they are a learning toy that I think is a skill they should have-like strings and beads, DS plays with them maybe once a month (he's 4, DD is 1), there are puppet toys DS has never touched, but they are really cool animals and I am hoping that DD will get into them. I have noticed that since we have less toys DS is more creative with whatever he has.

Our outside toys are less managed because I don't want to spend $$ on one of those plastic containers and the toys out there are bulky.
Funny you should mention lacing beads, that's one of the toys that he doesn't play with but I feel like he should, and it bothers me a little. Maybe DD will like them when she gets bigger. Oh, and our outside toys are a clutter because if they would play with it occasionally or it's big or bulky or some plastic monstrosity I just declare it an "outside toy". Keeps them from getting bored and doesn't clutter up my house. We have a shed in the backyard and the clutter doesn't bother me out there. Not yet, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post
my ds just wants whatever his big sister has - and its usually not a toy
LOL...I know this oh so well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i don't have rules, but if i did have toys to declutter and my little one was too young to do it himself, i would keep what he uses and loves the most and remove the rest. you can always build back up with birthdays and holidays after that if need be.

my guy has very little (more than a shoebox though) and plays with all of it, and i'm careful what i bring in. he has a whole drawer full of plastic bins--such as old yogurt containers, juice bottles and the like--that he really enjoys. LOL free toys!
DS is doing a pretty good job picking some things to give away, which, at 3.5 I'm impressed he'll pick anything. I am defin definitely ately going to be more careful with what I bring in from now on. I try and get relatives and friends to get things that will get used up like art supplies, with varied success. We also have a shelf of containers and that's probably what gets played with the most, they sort and pack and carry things around all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I have at times thrown out heaps when the kids were at school then had one of my daughters upset about the fact I had got rid of a particular toy..

However he still has toys that he says he wants, and yet I don't see him playing with them.....hmmm, will have to have another go at encouraging him to get rid of some more.
DS has a steel trap of a memory, but when he's noticed things are gone I just tell him we gave them away to kids that don't have toys and he hasn't gotten upset about it yet. He's asked a few times, but no real reaction, and he's pretty wildly emotional (Don't know who he got that from...haha ) so it's a good sign. If I let him pick completely he'd just want to keep everything, just to have it, not to play with it. My dad was a bit of a hoarder and he seems to have inherited that lovely trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxintheSnow View Post
then I had one of those aha moments. When we are at the doctors office waiting or wherever, my kids create toys- magazine inserts become houses and coins from my purse are people (you get the idea). Having fewer toys requires them to be more creative and they will always find stuff to play with.

So we decided to let each kid keep 4 categories of toys and everything else went to goodwill. For my dd that was dressups, tea party, books and stuffies. For my son that was legos, books, star wars and games. They have easels on the back patio for art. Now all their toys fit in their bedroom and hardly take up any space. It is sooooo nice!

Our pediatrician says the only toys a kid needs are sunscreen and bugspray. We are not quite there yet, but it is a nice idea.
You are very right about the fewer toys thing. I'm much more attached to the toys than he is. I just keep picking through things again and again getting rid of more and more!

I like the categories idea, and I wish DS played like that. His most beloved things aren't so much in categories unless "random crap" is a category. LOL. I am trying to give myself space guidelines, like today I went through his cars (mostly unused, but not something I'm ready to part with) and put them in a little box (an old wipes container, actually), and only kept enough to fit in that box. It made it much easier.

And I love that idea. Although, since it's winter most of the year here, it's not entirely applicable. It snowed on Mother's Day! Add a snowsuit to that list, and it's my dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoadMama View Post
I just went through all of dd's toys, and bagged up all the infant toys she hasn't played with in a while. I'm keeping them for the new baby. Then, I picked up all the little "accessory" pieces that she doesnt use, and tossed those in the bag, too. Then I picked out any other toys that I haven't seen her interested in for a while, and tossed those in the bag. I ended up completely emptying one of her plastic toy bins (those big storage bins). She still has one bin downstairs in the living room, plus her trike, easle, and megablocks and megablocks wagon, and books. Upstairs, she has two small bins, her other trike, ball bin, and a few more books. It does sound like a lot now that it's all written out, but everything has a place. I'd like to get a toy shelf, with clear platic bins on it, so she can quickly see what toys she has. Her dragons and her cars are her favorites, but they are small and relatively heavy, so they always end up at the bottom of the bin, where she forgets about them.
Thanks for sharing your method! It's so helpful to me to read how everyone does it. I need a tutorial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
I need to do this too, but it's hard b/c my older DD DOES play with 99% of what she has. My DH and dad say she has too many stuffed animals, but she plays with and sleeps with all of them on a daily basis. I have no idea where to start and our house is too small to rotate toys b/c I have no where to store them in the meantime.
I would think it would be much harder if everything was played with! It's hard enough when most of it is just abandoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abharrington View Post
we are working on this too. this is what we have for dd age 3 and ds age 18 months:

wooden trains/track - love these, use daily
unit blocks - love thse, use daily
baby dolls/cradle/stroller - love these, use daily
cars and balls - love these, use daily
kitchen/food/dishes - love these, use daily
crayons and notebook - love these, draw daily
books - love these, use daily (but we have a very limited collection...only the BEST)

play dough, lacing toys, puzzles - use weekly
wooden doll house/dolls/furniture - use weekly
dress up clothes - use weekly
simple games - use weekly

tent, bicycles, big balls - use whenever outside or in basement
sand box, bubbles, balls - play with outside
Thank you for the list! It's so helpful to have it all spelled out. You actually really helped me because I was so torn about keeping the lacing beads, and I just put them in the box with the games, and problem solved. When we get some new stuff for the games and puzzles box, then they might be the first thing to go, but for now they have a place and that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abharrington View Post
i say, keep only what they use on a very regular basis. but also limit the total amount of stuff, based on your space. kids just don't need that much...i know we have too much. but we have very generous fmaily who have bought beautiful wooden, quality toys...so i hesitate to get rid of much more, at this point.
Don't worry, if I keep only what's used on a very regular basis, it will look like we don't have kids here at all, it's not a space issue! What's really used most is arts and crafts stuff, and workbooks and that sort of thing. The toys sit unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Start small with any broken or incomplete(lost parts).

Then take notes on what they do play with.

Good luck.
Thank you! The note taking has begun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post
I agree that the best thing is to take note of the things your kiddos play with on a regular basis. I have often boxed up many toys, then give the kids so many weeks/month(s) and if they do not ask for them after so long, the toys go away...many times unbeknownst to my babies.

For us it has gotten easier with DS with age - he is now 7 and this weekend we went through all of his things together. He basically kept Bakugan, workbooks (for summer and even when he gets bored in the early AM or before bed), a select few spy toys, 1 medium-sized tub of Legos, his Nerf foam shooter, books, and games. Our issue is games - we have A TON between both kids and our own...however, they are super for our kids' ages, great for learning, family game night, and play dates, so for the moment, they stay.

DD is 4.5 and has her dolls (and tons of clothes and some furniture - 18" variety, so that eats most of her space), a shoebox of Barbies and mini American girl dolls, a basket of homemade Barbie furniture we fashioned out of recyclables, books, dress-up...so much!

Now we have #3 (a boy!) on the way and are starting from scratch with him, which is pretty exciting to me - I plan to begin things very anti-clutter and add toys in a very concise, purposeful way, rather than buy willy nilly.
I'm glad to hear it's gotten easier as they've gotten older! And I've been so hesitant to get rid of the baby stuff (we're hoping to have one more, in 8-10 years...I have difficult pregnancies and am not looking forward to doing it again, it will take that long to convince myself! So I've been very torn about what to keep for that long.) but starting over sounds so wonderful, to only have as much as you need, and all quality stuff. I think you may have inspired a baby stuff de-clutter!

Thanks again to everyone for such wonderful ideas!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#17 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm struggling with this too. I'd love to get rid of almost all of it, except what he very regularly plays with. The problem I stuggle with is that most everything is gifts (especially from MIL). She way over bought at Christmas and DS's birthday, and sends a box to us almost once a month. I feel bad getting rid of things that others have given him. And MIL remembers EVERYTHING that she get him and WILL ask about it if she doesn't see it when they come down to visit. Her home is SO cluttered and full of stuff that my nephew (who lives with them) never plays with, it lines every wall of every room in the house.

I also get angry at myself because I feel like I'm allowing others to unknowingly dictate to me what I have in my house. Its frustrating too because I've never had a problem getting rid of stuff.

Sorry, not trying to hijack, OP, just comiserating.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#18 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

No hijack, certainly! I have issues with things my family gave as well, but I think I'm starting to get rid of it, just because I really don't want other people dictating what we have. I make a list every year for holidays and birthdays and no one ever follows it. I'm not even sure I will make one next year, because they ask for one and never use it, which is incredibly frustrating to me! It's hard, not wanting to hurt their feelings, but I'm trying to teach DS that it's so nice that people thought of him, and that it's about the thought and not the gift itself. Hopefully that works, at least a little!

#19 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 PM

http://wildparenting.blogspot.com/20...tame-toys.html

I love this blog post on this exact topic. We're not there yet, but it gives clear guidelines re: how to think about toy decluttering, and focuses on keeping 'engaging' toys rather than those that simply entertain or distract. Her tips include anything plastic goes, anything battery-operated goes, anything with a single purpose goes. YMMV! Hope this provides some inspiration!
#20 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

SaraCate- Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this link!

#21 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM

Personally, I don't rotate toys. I don't have the storage area to store unused toys. I keep what I know they do enjoy playing with. If they don't play with it on a regular basis it goes. If its a Christmas/birthday present I will usually get a picture of them with it to send to whoever gave it to them and then Ill find it a new home. My girls much prefer having books to read to toys a lot of the them. They do have their favorites (blocks, trains, cars and dolls) so I keep those. It all has to fit in the boxes I have that store their toys. If there isn't enough room it goes. If they stop playing with it and don't want to play with it, it goes. Honestly Im a little ruthless since I don't want toys overcoming our whole house.

Right now we have:
1) blocks- played with daily/every other day
2) cars- again played with regularly
3) Mr. Potato Head- I use to work with DD1 on speech and DD2 likes to join us so hes used regularly
4) finger/hand puppets- same as Mr. Potato Head
5) Balls- Great universal toy, my girls love their ball pit and DH loves to take them out and play "catch" with them
6) Dolls/stuffed animals- these they like to carry with them when they go places. DD1 likes to act out stories with them so it encourages her speech.
7) baby toys- I do a bunch of baby sitting for friends/church acquaintences so I keep these around for them.

It sounds like a lot but its not. Mostly if I didn't need to work with DD1 and her speech I could get rid of a lot of it. However, shes a little behind and the only "solution" they will give me over here is to send her to a preschool an hour away for 8 hours a day, NOT HAPPENING so the toys stay. On the good side, since I started working with her shes gone from having a huge delay to just a slight one and being slightly advanced in some areas. I guess she just needed time to catch up.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#22 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

It doesn't sound like too much at all! We're not quite there yet, but I'm working on the space thing...since I kept only enough cars to fit in a tiny box, and he's actually started playing with them! I've done decluttering before with similar results, but it always surprises me when they start playing again! Crazy! Oh, and I'm going to send you a PM, I'd love to hear with what you do for speech!

#23 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 PM

I'm a "hard-core" toy de-clutterer and don't feel bad about it one bit I have 5dc in under 900sq ft... my dc ages are dd (11) ds (almost 10) ds (5) ds(3) and ds (14m) dd has her own room (maybe 8'x10') and has 1 bin of little pet shop and 2 houses for them and a shoe box of barbies/clothes/accessories. she does have about 30 webkinz ( I DETEST stuffed animals!!! but they are hers) and a friend gave me a homemade beanie baby holder (looks like a coat rack with elastics to hold the webkinz) so that has worked out WONDERFULLY for her. She also has a bookshelf (she's quite the reader!) her desk and her captains bed. older 3 boys share the other 8'x10'room... 2 boys in a double, 3yr old in a toddler bed... NO TOYS in their room other than their stuffed animals for bedtime, the baby is in our room. The boys toys are in the living room in a corner, luckily they are all into the same thing so what we have is a small toy bin organizer that holds their imaginext figures, super hero squad figures, other random action figures and matchbox. They also have a smaller car play table. I did have to pull out the smaller chokeable imaginext accessories but they didn't play with them anyways so no loss there We do have a few random "baby toys" ie FP mailbox, FP little people bus and a handful of random little people and a FP laugh and learn farm (strongly debating donating this toy). We have a small bin of books as well (we live about 2mi from our library so I don't find the need for lots and lots of books for the lo's though they do like to get a book occasionally from the Scholastic book orders) That's really it for toys in our house.... it actually seems like alot from typing it out, lol but really it's sparse compared to what their friends/cousins have but I'm a total minimalists and it's what works for us! Now outside we have an AWESOME homemade sandbox with trucks and shovels/pails and a few little people that migrated out there, lol. The older kids have thier bikes, we have a lovely swingset, plastic climber/slide and chalk... oh and the random kickballs/whiffle balls/bats and footballs. I actually freecycled today a little tykes toybox we never really needed since we didn't have any toys to put in it, lol, a step 2 wagon that was never used and a police cozy coupe that the kids had outgrown... I was SO HAPPY to see those things go! our yard looks much better now

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#24 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM

oops.... I forgot about the little boys "dress-up" ie markdowned halloween costumes we have a 3 drawer plastic tote for those.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#25 of 32 Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean, I tried to type up what we have and it seemed like a LOT, even though it's not very much at all! So I have a very good idea of what is a lot of toys and what isn't based on lists after I did that! Thanks so much for explaining what you have, and for encouraging me in the hard-core toy decluttering department!

#26 of 32 Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot. Is it still considered decluttering when you buy new things? Whoops. DS really wants to keep this fisher price farm that we have but I really don't like soft plastic, so I went out and replaced the animals with schleich animals...on the plus side this means we don't have a million of them like we did the little people animals!

AND, all this decluttering is getting into my 3.5 year old's head, because we had company yesterday and they kept going on and on about toys and saying, "you must have thousands and thousands of toys" like it was an impressive thing to have lots of toys...they were really just trying to make conversation with DS but since he doesn't have a lot of toys and we're trying to de-emphasize the accumulation of anything that's not loved and played with, it was very awkward, and finally DS just said, "Some kids don't have any toys."

I was so proud!

#27 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the great tips. I so need this too. My problem is my ds 7 is into many different things and he plays with almost all of it frequently. I need to come up with how much is enough for each of these toys. He is into Bionicle, Pokemon, Lego, finger board skateboarding and the usual little matchbox cars, books, etc... Also I don't know how to deal with the situation where he likes to spread out his toys (ie, Lego, skateboarding park) on a table, floor, couch, nook table, any flat surface to build things and they get left there when he leave the room... I'm constantly having to tell him to remove the toys...

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#28 of 32 Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM

I am a hard core toy declutterer. I have 2 DS (6&1). They share a room. DS
(6) toys fit inside a trader joes bag and ds(1) toys fit inside a sandpail. Their books fit on half a bookshelf. Since we live down the street from the library, I seeno needfor aton of books. The rule is DS(6) reads a book and if he loves it, we keep it...but if he doesnt it goes. DS(1) has a few board books and some handed down books. DS(8) has 3 games....all travel size so they fit on the bookshelf. He has his bike and scooter and DS(1) has a ride on toy.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#29 of 32 Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking View Post
Thanks for the great tips. I so need this too. My problem is my ds 7 is into many different things and he plays with almost all of it frequently. I need to come up with how much is enough for each of these toys. He is into Bionicle, Pokemon, Lego, finger board skateboarding and the usual little matchbox cars, books, etc... Also I don't know how to deal with the situation where he likes to spread out his toys (ie, Lego, skateboarding park) on a table, floor, couch, nook table, any flat surface to build things and they get left there when he leave the room... I'm constantly having to tell him to remove the toys...
I've been thinking about this for days now...how much is enough for each toy...I definitely have the same problem. For me, I think I need a set container for each type of toy (or space, because DS needs different containers for each different "set" of that toy), and I need to stick to that. Trying to figure it out...it's really hard! The spreading out and leaving it is exactly why I want less, because it's less to clean up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened View Post
I am a hard core toy declutterer. I have 2 DS (6&1). They share a room. DS
(6) toys fit inside a trader joes bag and ds(1) toys fit inside a sandpail. Their books fit on half a bookshelf. Since we live down the street from the library, I seeno needfor aton of books. The rule is DS(6) reads a book and if he loves it, we keep it...but if he doesnt it goes. DS(1) has a few board books and some handed down books. DS(8) has 3 games....all travel size so they fit on the bookshelf. He has his bike and scooter and DS(1) has a ride on toy.
All right, you're my hero! It really inspires me that you really can have so few toys! Thanks for the input!

#30 of 32 Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM

Oh my goodness, this is the thread I needed to read at 2am (can't sleep).

I've decluttered a lot of our garage and closets through out the house, but the kids room is bothering me once again. It just pains me that 80% of the toys in their room are not touched (just moved to gain access to the other toys). We have kept some of their deeper toy boxes and those things are the pits (LITERALLY!). I really need to grab them and toss the unused toys in them and give it ALL away. I have a HUGE pile of stuff in the garage to be given away on Craigslist once we have nice weather so I can put it in my driveway. I'd love to put a bunch of toys out there as well.

Still reading through this thread and I'm going to bookmark it to read in the next few days as I look for inspiration.

Thanks SaraCate for that link to that blog post. SO HELPFUL!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page