Did you donate your wedding dress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of donating my wedding dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer. Has anyone else done this?

I love my dress. However, I wonder what is the point of preserving it, vacuum-sealing it in a box and carting it around with me for the rest of my life? I don't expect my daughter to wear it, and I have lots of photos of myself in it. Hmm. That's my thought process so far.

Did anyone donate and then regret?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 PM

I didn't donate it, my MIL used it to make a christening gown. I figured the chances of any of my girls wanting to wear it AND being the right size, etc, were slim and it gave us a way to enjoy it still. I love the pictures of me in the dress and that's good enough for me... I am not super sentaental about objects though, so YMMV.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM

I kept mine, but it is not your typical huge fluffy white satin with a train, etc. dress. It is more unique and I sewed up my own muslin covers for the various parts (none of the fancy preservation services here, just ordinary good cleaning and protection processes). My DD absolutely adores my dress and does want to wear it one day. She is nine now, but she has been enthralled with it since she was 3 or 4 years old. She has tried it on, too. Fun times all around. I don't keep a lot of stuff, but this one I am keeping. It is low-profile and easily stored on the top of our closet or under the bed (been in both places over time).

ETA: DD can change her mind at any time and it doesn't affect my decision to keep my wedding dress. She can wear it or not. Her choice. We have a lot of fun with it meanwhile!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 PM

Oh, good question. I've have had the same thought. After cleaning out the whole closet except for "the dress". I dont think anyone will wear it, or will I really ever have something made from it and do I even want a pillow or quilt?
#5 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM

I didn't really go all out with my wedding dress - it was a $105 white JC Penney prom dress. If I may say, though, it looked really good on me and I really loved wearing it and I love the pictures.

But I am thinking about getting rid of it when we move. What point is there in carting it around? I'm not going to ever wear it again, especially since it is kinda see-through and I had to get a special slip made for it (by my grandma), which I no longer have. I may not even have a daughter, and if I do, I'm going to encourage her to wear whatever she wants to get married in. Maybe there'll be another $105 JC Penney's dress around. And we already have special christening gowns and such in the family, even though we don't baptize our kids so...

Yeah, no reason to keep it. I think I've just convinced myself. Of course, I don't know about you or your wedding dress, I think I was just talking to myself here.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#6 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 02:52 PM

I never even washed it after the wedding . Its still hanging in my closet almost seven years later three inches deep in mud and grass stains.

I doubt anyone would want it now.
#7 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheMama View Post
will I really ever have something made from it and do I even want a pillow or quilt?
I sure don't! What would I do with an ivory pillow with pink beading? Doesn't exactly match my decor.

My dress has an upper bodice totally covered with flowers made of pink quartz-like stones and crystal/glass beads. I thought about popping off all the stones and beads and maybe making a necklace or something out of them to keep for my DD. But why rip up the dress and make it useless when someone could wear it, and it could be used to raise money for a good cause? I don't know.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#8 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM

I was just thinking the same thing! Mine is clean and vacuum sealed and, first of all, I have three sons and can't imagine trying to push my dress on a future DIL. And I just don't have much sentimental attachment to it. It's a dress. A pretty one, that I got married in, but just a dress.

I asked DH and he doesn't seem to care, so I might just get the ball rolling.

#9 of 27 Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM

I had a dress from my first marriage in 1986. I paid way too much for it so I felt I needed to have it ‘vacuum sealed’ and stored it for twenty years!
A couple of years ago I donated it to a local church. They make gowns for a ceremony they have with babies – I believe it is a dedication.

It's a little different since I've been divorced and remarried for many years; I am glad to be rid of the dress.
#10 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 03:06 AM

I have three sons so I decided to donate my dress to the Goodwill about 10 years ago when we were packing our house to move. I have never regretted it.

~traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#11 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I would love to get rid of mine...my mother had it all boxed up and saved though, and she's very unwilling to get rid of it! Oh well. I finally convinced her to get rid of the big bushy slip though, so if someone does want to wear it the'll have to buy a new one. I'm not willing to let it take up any more space!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#12 of 27 Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 PM

I donated mine. Actually I asked my mom to donate it so I don't know where it ended up, maybe Saver's or Salvation Army? I have a million pictures of my wedding day, I don't need a huge dress taking up space, especially if someone else could use it in the meantime. We got married 4 years ago & I've never regretted donating it. If you're hesitant you could always take scraps from the hem or somewhere else unnoticable to make a little keepsake (sachet or pillow or handkerchief or something).

ETA: My mom kept hers and she pulled it out once, when I got engaged (not to try to get me to wear it, just to show me)... I don't think she's ever pulled it out besides that one time. And if you have a daughter I'm sure she'd want to pick out her own dress (and imagine how much the styles will change in 20-30 years!!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#13 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM

I never even liked my dress. I went dress shopping 6 weeks post-partum and was in a huge rush as my breasts here huge, leaking and uncomfortable. We got married when dd was almost four months. It was the first one I tried on. We are moving in three weeks and I plan to donate it before we go.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#14 of 27 Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 AM

My dress was custom made because I am too fluffy to buy off the rack. I wonder if anyone would even be able to wear it? It is for my unique body shape. Since I am getting a divorce I don't have any emotional connections to it. In fact I almost fainted while it was being made because I was standing under the hot lights Perhaps that was a sign!

Right now it is stuffed in to my Mother's cedar chest.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#15 of 27 Old 05-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To answer your initial question: I haven't donated (or sold) my dress my probably should have done so, about 10 years ago!
I'll try it in the summer when I'm back in my home country.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#16 of 27 Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 AM

I donated mine after keeping it 10 years in a fit of decluttering and have no regrets two years later....
#17 of 27 Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM

gave mine away a couple years ago and have no regrets

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#18 of 27 Old 05-30-2010, 04:49 PM

My dress was my mother's wedding dress with some alterations to update it. I couldn't see passing it along, although I'll never use it again. As a little girl I loved pulling her dress out of the ceder chest and playing in it. I'd like my children to have that option too.
#19 of 27 Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM

No, dh and I dress up in our wedding outfits every year on our anniversary and go for a stroll in the park. I'm definitely saving it for a granddaughter, if I'm lucky enough to have one.

That said, I'm sentimental about stuff like that. I think donating a wedding dress is a fine idea if you are not the sentimental type.
#20 of 27 Old 06-05-2010, 05:09 AM

I donated mine just a year or two after getting married, and I haven't regretted it for a second. My parents were storing it for me until I could lug move it, but I never had the luggage space when flying. I loved my dress, and I love the pictures, and I love not having to drag it around with me for the rest of my life. My mother is also a breast cancer survivor, so donating it was rather touching to her. I am curious if I would still fit it after two kids, but maybe it is better not to know!

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#21 of 27 Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM

I rented my wedding dress -- in part because it cost so much less, and also so I wouldn't have to store it later and make these kinds of decisions. I have great pictures from the day, and have never regretted not having a dress to hold onto years later. When I woke up the next morning after our wedding and saw how dirty the underside of the dress was -- I knew I had made the right choice!

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
#22 of 27 Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 AM

I still have mine. It was a simple ivory bridesmaid's dress, so it didn't cost much relative to a "real" wedding dress. I never had it cleaned after the wedding or anything. It's just hanging in the hall closet, but it's not bulky at all - no more than a regular dress. I haven't really given it any thought, but lately my DD has been asking to see it. I'll probably keep it and let her play with it.

My sister and I used to play with my mom's dress, which my grandmother stored at her house. But then my grandma gave away the hoop skirt that went under it, and then it wasn't so much fun anymore. The dress is still around somewhere, I suspect at my sister's house. We both planned to wear it for our weddings but it was just too tiny in the waist, with a gazillion buttons up the back. No room for alteration at all.

I am starting to feel burdened by all the stuff we have and it is a long process letting things go that have been handed down to me - so OP, if you are "done" with your dress, go ahead and donate and don't give it a second thought!
#23 of 27 Old 06-06-2010, 11:49 PM

My dress from my first wedding went to Goodwill. I think I dropped it off there on one of my moving-out trips.

My dress from my second wedding was something I already owned and had worn (which I bought vintage in the first place), and (assuming I lose the baby weight and can fit into it ever again) will be wearable again, so I haven't donated it.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#24 of 27 Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 AM

My dress was bought off the rack for $85 19 years ago. It's a slip with a lace dress over lay. It's one of the few things that survived a house fire several years ago and is really flat so no big deal to store.

My sister rented hers.
#25 of 27 Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 AM

My Grandmother made mine for me, so it hasn't been nor will it be donated. That said it's been packed away for 10+ years and I have no plans for it. Luckly it isn't elaborate so it doesn't take up much space.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#26 of 27 Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM

I still have mine right now. It wasn't much though I did the $109 prom dress like BFS. Its very pretty but not a "real wedding dress." I've been thinking of donating it but lately 4 yo dd has taken an interest in it and would probably be upset if I did. She asks to see it almost daily so I'll probably keep it for her to play with. Of course she wants us to get married again because she wants to be in a wedding lol.
#27 of 27 Old 06-09-2010, 01:15 AM

I donated mine to the Brides Against Breast Cancer, it was 2 years after the wedding, and 3 years later, no regrets. I love love loved my dress, but when I took it out of the box as I was getting ready to donate it, it just looked like a dress. I guess I'm the sort who thinks I have wonderful memories of the day, and a wonderful marriage to show for it, so what do I need a lump of lacy fabric to remind me of? I have great pics of the dress. I also have 2 boys with no plans for more kids, and I wouldn't want to shove around a huge box on the off chance that I might have a daugher that might get married that might be my size that might want to wear the dress.

The only thing that bugs me.. I really wish they would let you send your name and email address with the dress. I always wonder who bought it and I wish I could hear from that girl or see a picture and know that she enjoyed the dress as much as I did.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page