Help me get rid of cloth diapers. I am a CD junkie! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help mamas! I have a love of buying cloth diapers. The buying has stopped for a while and I am ready to clean out. The worst part is that we are even using disposables now.
And 3 yr dd is potty trained.
Many are in storage so I am guessing I have this:
35 mother ease one size
10 misc fitted small size
20 misc fitted med size
20 misc fitted large size
(many of these have built in covers)
2 dozen reg indian prefolds
3 dozen unbleached indian premium prefolds
2 dozen unbleached indian toddler prefolds
1 dozen infant unbleached indian prefolds
2 dozen prefolds that were originally premium size, but cut in half and surged
50 odd size liners
1 dozen odd size newborn diapers

covers:
10 newborn size
20 size small
25 medium
10 large
4 xlarge
Lots of wool here, but mainly non wool

It would not be hard to say that there may actually be waaaay more than listed.

I can't believe I shared all this, but when I was trying to figure out what I liked, I just went crazy. Help me free myself of these. I guess a big reason is I spent so much money and I am just wanting to donate. Someone help me let go. Plus I don't know how much I should keep.

(to the mods, I don't want this in the CD section since it may not be of help to have other CD junkies advising me)
#2 of 21 Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Are you planning on having another baby? When figuring out what worked, was it a fit problem (with rise, legs, etc) or a style problem (prefolds vs. fitteds, for example)? Could you get rid of everything that isn't the style you prefer?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#3 of 21 Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 AM

I posted my CDs on Freecycle and got tons of responses, including one from a woman who was fostering infant twins. That made is very easy to let them go. One easy way to downsize your stash would be to simply get rid of half of everything.
#4 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 AM

I know how you feel! I have a FULL stash for 3 in diapers and can easily go 3-4 days between washes if I really wanted to (eeeeewwww) with my stash and that 3 in diapers (you can tell I had 3 in diapers for a year huh lol) We are planning on a couple more kids in the future, so I need to keep *some* of my stash but my goodness I need to week through it and get rid of a LOT of old diapers that we'll never use again and just keep the best of my prefolds (my preferred CD is a good ubipf). I'm dreading it though, that's well over 100 diapers I need to go through................ If you do it I'll do it too!

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#5 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 05:23 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
you can send them my way! they will get great use over here!!! the 1 or 2 i do own are being put to good use at a friends house. she puts cloth on all her foster babies it cost to much for her to buy so she thrives on people donating!

its hard while i have not gone into the CD buying world, i have gone into the baby buying world. i have found that if i know the things will go to good use and not to waist, its easier to let go!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#6 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM

I wish I had the funds to buy that many....or any at all..... I couldn't even build a stash for this babe so we are in disposables this go around thanks to tons of them given as gifts and being able to get them almost free with store sales.

I would check around the area or ask your MW if they know momma's in need to donate too...they could be your best resources.

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#7 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Miracle Diapers accepts cd donations and gives them to people who want to cd but may not be able to afford the initial investment... A friend of mine got started cd'ing through their program, and you can get tax deductions for donating. http://www.clothdiaperfoundation.org/donate/

As far as what to keep, if you're having another baby, then keep the ones you liked the most. We have about 50 diapers and that is more than enough (they are all one-size though, so if you keep the sized ones obviously you may want to keep more). I like having a variety of styles to get through the awkward phases when one style just doesn't fit right, so maybe a few of each of your favorites? Are you going to end up buying MORE cd's when you have another child anyway? (if so I'd get rid of all of them)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM

I had SO many diaper bags with #2...I decided to sell/donate them, and the ones that got sold went towards a fund to do a household project to surprise DH when he returned home from Iraq for R&R. It made it less difficult knowing they were going for a good cause. (I will refrain from going into all the details of his return to Iraq 2 weeks after I presented him the household project present and he was informed we would be moving 2 yrs early the second he returned home from deployment, lol! He never got to enjoy the present lol!)
#9 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies! All the places to donate are making me feel motivated. I am mixed between selling them or donating them. dh is unemployed and we could really use the money, but when I have tried to sell them in the past, people aren't interested. I guess I should just save myself the trouble and donate them.

So trying to figure out how many I need. I think that I will keep the ones we use (when we are using CD's). I use to love prefolds at first, but now I really like the MEOS. I am just having a hard time letting go. Just let go, just let go, just let go...

How many covers are needed? I know I could figure this out myself if I tried, but I have a mental block, so help me? Someone give me a number and that is what I will have to stick with.
#10 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Oh, this is me too . I can't help myself, especially getting things FFS! We *are* planning on having another baby, so they won't be wasted.

#11 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM

People aren't interested? Surely there are people who are interested!

I've been searching Craigslist and have had a friend searching cloth diaper forums for used AIOs and pockets for me. So I know there must be others out there who want to CD but can't afford to buy new diapers.

If you guys are having money trouble I think you should sell them. Or donate half of what you're getting rid of and sell the rest. Something like that.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#12 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

How many covers are needed?
Newborn - 6 covers, 2-4 dozen prefolds
Baby - 6 covers, 2 dozen prefolds or fitteds (this is a guess - we do pockets)

I have recently sold our infant dipes on Diaperswappers. It has worked pretty well (so far) and I am happy with selling prices. I started with what I "hoped" to get and bumped the threads daily, reducing prices by $2 (per lot) each time Our family is complete, so I am saving just one preemie prefold for a momento.

Since you are not sure about more babies, you could save just the bare minimum for a newborn - 6 covers, 1 dozen infant prefolds, a dozen MEOS.
The MEOS might go for $8-10 each on Diaperswappers (a guess based on a quick check.) There is also a sale forum on the motherese web site. Since your DH is unemployed, I think selling most of the dipes would be the right thing to do, financially, even if it is painful to let go of tiny baby dipes. One other thing to think about is some of the elastic might fail in storage, so you get the very best resale price now. (we had clothing elastic fail in storage between DS1 and 2. I am glad I did not save more.)
#13 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 PM

I started CD when my oldest (now 6) was about 6 months old. We never did it full time with him, however I built up a huge stash of diapers. I was a junkie! I saved everything knowing we'd have another. Baby #2 came along (3 yrs old now) and I used them so very little. DH just preferes sposies and just me using them wasn't worth the effort IMO. So I downsized to all but my absolute favorites (FB and old style Wonderoos). I had baby #3 last year. And honestly, before he arrived I kept thinking I'd pull out those diapers and use them. But before he was born, I kept revisiting how much they were never used with my first two. I took the plunge...I listed ALL of them for sale! I had two bins worth. While it didn't first seem worth it, I actually made a decent amount of $$ selling them (at least really close to what I paid). And I've never looked back and am so glad to have cleared at least that little bit of clutter from my life!

If you really feel you need to save some...pick the smallest bin you can find and only put your absolute favorites in it. Post the rest for sale at reasonable prices at as many places as you can find online. Set a date, if they don't sell by that date...donate Just my opinion of how I'd do it to make it the least painful
#14 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Look at selling this way....not counting your liners....if you sold each diaper/cover/etc for at least $1 each....that's over $200. I have no idea what prefolds go for. But what could you do with the extra $200?
#15 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I love the advice. So true about elastic falling apart. I think I am going to list with a deadline and then donate what doesn't sell. Thanks too for the places/ideas where to donate to.

I have a few things with worn elastic. Should I toss those or do people actually fix those?
#16 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I love the advice. So true about elastic falling apart. I think I am going to list with a deadline and then donate what doesn't sell. Thanks too for the places/ideas where to donate to.

I have a few things with worn elastic. Should I toss those or do people actually fix those?

I'm no fixer, but I say list them super cheap or maybe free with another purchase
#17 of 21 Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
some people do. pm me with your list! on diaperswappers "bad elastic" dipes go for about $4 ppd, or they go quickly with ffs.
#18 of 21 Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM

I fix shot elastic diapers. Its how I got our first stash, because DH fell critically ill so I had no time, and no money. The pp had the prices right.

I'd keep your MEOS and 6-8 covers that fit and a dozen premium PFs for emergencies. Maybe a few toddler pfs for changing pads for super nasty diaper changes. List them for what you think they'll go for, then don't be afraid to lower the price. Getting a couple bucks each is better than nothing! Just be sure you are covering your shipping costs

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#19 of 21 Old 06-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Have you checked out Diaperswappers.com? I bet you can sell them and have a nice haul! People often list an entire lot to go together for convenience. Your stash sounds great.

I have a small CD problem, too. We're done with diaps here, too, and I'm still tempted to buy them to squirrel away for the next baby. It's the only thing I'm like that with. Sweet addiction!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#20 of 21 Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 PM

I second Diaperswappers! I have bought lots of diapers from there, and it's great. I would sell them rather than give them away, just to try and offset some of what you spent on them. That's just me though.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#21 of 21 Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM

I would try diaperswappers...I have sold many, many diapers on there, and re-cooped much of my money from being a CD junkie. Helps ease the pain of spending so much money LOL.

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page