I am going to have to declutter my kids stuff without their permission. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsiLeaf View Post

Also, if you want to have a garage sale with their things, have them away from teh house when you do it.
This is my plan. I think it'll be too hard for the kids to be there for the garage sale, so i'm hoping they can go up and play at my mom's house for the day (or she can take them to the zoo or whatever), to save them the agony of watching other people digging through the stuff.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i used to have to do this when my son was younger.. he couldnt handle getting rid of anything but he has outgrown it and actually enjoys de-cluttering with me now. he really only cares about lego and playmobil..but he has special things like books ect that im totally okay with him having. i dislike the bits and pieces that are collected over time.. the kinder egg crap (they get them a few times a year from family members) and junk from thrift stores.. ect.. those things we get rid of pretty regularly. we are getting ready to move into a new house and im determined to move only what we really love and need..so im going to be doing this with my kids in the next few weeks. we did a quick over a while ago but i want to go more in depth. my son is a serious artist and has boxes full of drawings and sketchbooks so that needs to get sorted out before we go. i bought some white paper magazine boxes a while ago and i plan to help him get everything he wants to keep put away carefully in them.

my girls really could care less.. my 4 year old isn't attached to much. when we do de-clutter she tries to put all of her stuff in the bags and boxes and i often pull things out that i like or have bought for her we have lots of house toys but she doesnt actually have a lot that is her own.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 AM

I highly recommend the "take everything out, make three piles" method. My 6-yr.-old is a hoarder and is very reluctant to part with anything. But this method worked for him. We literally took every toy out of the playroom, piled them up in the living and dining rooms, and made three piles: keep, sell/donate, and trash. My son loves math so we also measured the space available in his closet and on shelves so he could understand that we have more things than space.

With your 6-yr.-old, maybe you can ask these questions about each item:
Do I use this?
When did I last use this?
Will I use it again?
Is it worth the space it takes up in my room/closet/our house?

(These questions are from the book "It's All Too Much." Oh, and I also read him the old children's book "The Big Tidy-Up.")

Good luck! I thought I was going to have to give things away without telling him (we're preparing to move too), but I was very glad I didn't have to.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am just starting to involve the kids in the descision making, they are 3 and nearly 6. The 3 YO had a much easier time. In part personality but I guess he had also really outgrown stuff and could see it. It was quite cute to see him want to do all the 2 piece puzzles and realise they were too easy.

Till now I have done the bag and store method and it works pretty well. DD has a pretty good memory and has asked where a couple of things are so they have been found again.

However I held off doing too much de-cluttering of their stuff while we moved. They were both concerned that stuff would get lost when we moved and spent ages going through the house asking what we were taking with us. They got supprisingly upset but some of the things that we left (like the garden shed )

What worked for us was that I packed a couple of boxes of the stuff I wanted to go through and downsize and we labled them garage. They packed their most used stuff which went straight into thier rooms. We have brought out a fair amount of the garage stuff since they did miss things and we have a lot more room to work with.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 AM

I recently thinned my kids' toys out *considerably.* They are 5 and 3.5. Here's what I did:

1. First, I went through and boxed up everything I didn't think they needed or used very often and put it out of sight (in the garage). I didn't mention it to them. If they asked for one of those toys, I got it for them. This only happened 1-2 times.
2. After about a month, I listed everything online that I wanted to sell--this way I could sell it without them having to watch it go.
3. With what was left, I had a big garage sale. I'm walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day this August, so all the proceeds from the sale went toward my $2300 fundraising requirement. I explained this to the kids and had them help with the sale.
3. If they were sad about a particular thing being in the sale, we talked about it, and I let them take it back into the house. In some cases, they brought it back out after playing with it "one last time." This probably accounted for 2-3 items.
4. I also asked them if there was anything else they could contribute. And...my 5-year-old did! He went through all his puzzles (loves puzzles and had a ton) and brought me about half that he didn't think he needed to keep, brought me several toys and quite a few books.

My kids still have PLENTY of toys, but we got rid of more than half of them, I'd say. As a result, the house is easier to keep clean, they are playing more with the toys they have, and I'm more than halfway to my fundraising goal!

If you're going to sort through the stuff *for* them, do it when they aren't around (watching it go may be more painful than actually having it gone), and don't make it permanent right away if you can help it.

Good luck!

User Tag List