If you could have just 2-3 toys for all of your children and they couldn't take up much space.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would they be? We are moving to Belize as soon as our home sells.. We won't be bringing much with us and will be living in a very small home. I need toy ideas! The girls love to dress up so I'm thinking playsilks will be great.. those take up almost no space in luggage. What else? I've got a 7 year old girl, a 4 year old girl, and a 2 year old boy.. and we hope to have more kiddos.

What would you bring in our situation?

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 02:09 AM

Well, I think it really depends on the personality of your kids. My DD would do best with some tiny people/animals and just a few miniature things for them to play with (a tiny blanket or chair). My DS would want a motorcycle or two to zoom around.

I would think that your 7yo and 4yo would probably be able to pick for themselves. And maybe the 2yo as well.

Playsilks are very nice. I would suppose you will have towels or sheets in your new home, though, which could stand-in for playsilks if needed.

Tjej
#3 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 03:10 AM

My ODD would need some type of figures to act things out, a stuffed animal to cuddle and maybe a doll and some clothes/blankets.

ETA: the baby will play with anything.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

we moved to NZ. we should have one, possibly two pallets shipped to us eventually, but we brought with us 8 bags on the plane.

i brought two trunks of his toys, which was all of his toys and many of his books. one trunk was his musical instruments; the other was toys/books.

i really can't say on your end what you should take vs leave, because you know your children best. but this is what i did.
#5 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Very exciting! I know that for my own particular DS (3.5 yrs), I could throw out all of his beautiful, lovingly crafted toys except for his toy horses and he'd be content. When I packed up 70% of his toys before we listed our house last year, I was embarrassed to say that he didn't even notice! That was a good reminder to me for when it came time to unpack! I really had to face the reality that those things were really for ME (ex: the playstands, kitchen, dollhouse, castle). He plays with a variety any given day, but mostly it's his toy horses or used in games with his horses. And he likes to have a small number of stuffed animals to choose a "bedtime animal" from. But I keep those REALLY thinned out!!!
#6 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 AM

I'd just bring whatever the 2-3 favorites were.
#7 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM

dd couldn't live without a doll or two, but could get by without playsilks using towels, sheets etc.

I think she would also really miss not having a really great selection of books as this is not only a joy for her in reading them with us, but for reading to her dolls as a form of play.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#8 of 14 Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 PM

For my 5 yr old daughter a handful of little dolls,a sketch book and colored pencils/crayons,a stuffed animal and a small supply of dress up accessories(fancy glasses,sparkly belt,necklace...those things will transform the sheets into "outfits"for my girl) would be great.

#9 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Since you're paying for plane tickets, I'd let the older kids have their own luggage with whatever toys they can fit. Then take along the 2 yo's favorite toys of the moment.
#10 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 PM

I agree with with letting the older 2 have their own luggage or carry on with whatever toys will fit.

For my 2yr I could leave everything and get away with just taking some toy cars and his dinosaurs and he would be happy.
#11 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 06:44 PM

We would take at least one big, very full tub of Legos, a few special stuffed animals, and a bunch of action figures or dollhouse dolls, but that's because those are the types of things that my children could play with for hours and hours, weeks and weeks, months and months.
#12 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM

for us it would be lego, playmobile, matchbox cars and crayons. I wish I could toss everything else. Good Luck, enjoy your move.
#13 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

We've decided on legos for sure. Those can become anything! And some small dolls and animals to use for various things as well. Crayons, pencils, papers, and books are a given and what they usually play with anyway to be honest.

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#14 of 14 Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 PM

For us it would be (more than 2, I know):
Lego
Playmobile
Dolls/stuffed animals
Markers/paper/scissors/tape
a ball
skipping rope