Ideas for storing hair accessories for girls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 girls, 1 who is 6, who has longish hair, and 1 who is 2 who has very babyfine hair that uses different barrettes, ponytail holders, etc. How do others store barrettes, hairbands, ponytail holders, etc? Seems like we are overrun with them and it's making me long for pixie cuts, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 PM

I use Snap Lock containers for the small things and a fabric covered coffee can for headbands and to put her brushes inside.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#3 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 PM

My niece puts her barbie doll in s sitting position & has the arms reaching up & puts her bracelets & hair ties around barbie's arms. I thought that was very clever! I have an antique porcelain hand where I store rings & an artist's wooden model hand where I keep my hair ties. Growing up, we used velveeta cheese boxes & labeled them with marker.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#4 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM

I have a little plastic thing with 3 drawers. One for barrettes, one for ponytail holders and one for bows and headbands.

ETA: It's similar to this http://www.stacksandstacks.com/small...rce=googlebase

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 AM

I have 2 girls who are now teenagers, but I am very familiar with the hairtie storage issue!

When they were little I found some great hanging holders that have a coat hanger at the top and hang on hooks on the back of their bedroom doors, the type that have pockets. Each holder has 6 pockets. I bought 2 for each of my girls, so they had 2 hooks each on the back of their doors. The ones we have have see through pockets, so you can see quite easily which clip etc is in which pocket.

Similar to this pic except ours do not hang over the door and have less pockets.

http://shopping.hsw.com.au/index.php...cat=4&id_dept=

SAHM to three
#6 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 AM

A friend of mine got a cute bow/barrette holder from this Etsy seller:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/38082451...hic-bow-holder
#7 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can keep the elastic bands around a cardboard paper towel roll.
DD has a couple of baskets in different sizes that she keeps in a drawer in the bathroom. One holds all her hair bands, a smaller one holds bobby pins and clips etc. I like the way the baskets are open for ease of access, but they are tucked away in a drawer so they aren't in view.
#8 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 AM

I keep them in a clear, over the door shoe holder. The little tiny rubber bands/barrettes are in plastic bins inside of that.
#9 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM

I have a basket for the larger things like headbands, and a small lidded box for the smaller things like elastics and small clips, both in a drawer in the bathroom vanity.
#10 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM

We use a child's gardening caddy from the garden section of Target. It is similar to this, garden tools removed of course. The big middle section is where we keep the spray bottle, hair spray, hair brush, comb, and hard headbands. We divide the little hair pretties up amongst the other pockets. There is even room for a tube of sunscreen!

love.gif

#11 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
We use a child's gardening caddy from the garden section of Target. It is similar to this, garden tools removed of course. The big middle section is where we keep the spray bottle, hair spray, hair brush, comb, and hard headbands. We divide the little hair pretties up amongst the other pockets. There is even room for a tube of sunscreen!
Ok I think I LOVE this idea! you would just have to grab it and have everything you need instead of brush in one had, detangler in another and a selection of hair stuff for the 3 year old to choose from.... I might even have a small leather one around. I will have to look for it!
#12 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM

i had the same issue, one of my daughters has long hair and the other has curly baby fine hair. i use a small three drawer desk top organizer if got at walmart last year for $5 at the beginning of the school season...it is super cute, purple and has three drawers one for the baby, one for my older daughter and i keep barrettes and clips in the last drawer, on top there is a holder too that i use for headbands...it was cheap and works great
#13 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 AM

I have longish, curly hair myself and have more hair things than my DD. I stuck a plastic hook on the back of the bathroom closet door and I hung small tote bag on it dedicated to holding hair stuff. Tiny barrettes are in a mint box in the bag, most things are just loose in the bag, and clip-type things I fasten on a ribbon tied to one of the handles and hanging down the outside where I can see it.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#14 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM

My brilliant bf made 2 things for her 6 yo:

1. for hair bands, scrungies, etc --- she painted and decorated one of those things that looks like a bunch of chopsticks in a base used to dry plastic bags for reuse. The bands go on the sticks loosely.

2. for clips, barrettes, etc --- she took a pretty picture frame, covered the cardboard back with pretty fabric, and strung sturdy fat ribbons across in horizontal rows. The clips get attached to the ribbons in pairs and look beautiful, are easy to find.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#15 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Love all of the ideas, everyone, thanks!!!
#16 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM

I was thinking for the pony tail bits the type of wall mounted thread orginizer would work well, similar to the bag dryer that was just mentioned but wall mounted

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#17 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My daughters each have some bins and boxes on their dressers, for holding their hair stuff (they like different hair accessories and don't really share.) We use assorted containers- right now DD1 has a hodgepodge assortment such as a large "smiley face" mug and a shoebox, DD2 has an empty "q tip vanity case" box and a little plastic basket.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#18 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM

I tied ribbons on DD's mirror for all her hair clips/bows. Then I have a glass apothecary style jars for elastics and headbands go around it or over the mirror. I have a thing about having matching hair accessories for DD's outfits.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#19 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM

barrettes - wide ribbon hanging on the wall, clip the barrettes to it as if it were hair
pony tail holders - stand-up paper towel holder like this http://www.google.com/products/catal...CC8Q8wIwAzgA#p or something less involved. i used to have a little bottle dryer thing from ikea that i stood my finger puppets on, that could work too.

headbands & brushes - can of some sort wrapped in fabric or decoupaged w/ paper - headbands go around it, brushes go inside it.

these can all be put on (or hanging from in the case of the ribbon) a little wooden shelf attached to the wall.
#20 of 23 Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM

I have a small plastic basket that is square.. then I have the ziploc bags that are made to be re-zipped a lot (My 2 year old can work these herself). I divided all the different sized pony tail holders, clippies, bows, etc into their own separate bags. The small basket is large enough to hold combs and water bottles/ detanglers along with all these ziploc bags. This actually has worked really well for us!
#21 of 23 Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Do you sew? There's a tute floating round the interwebs for making a crayon holder - basically a roll-up piece of fabric with little pockets to individually hold all the crayons (or pencils or markers). Very easy to make, the pocket are just one long pocket divided by lots of vertical rows of stitching.

I made one for my friend who has heaps of hairtoys. I made the divided pocket slant downwards (in a wave pattern, actually) so some of the pockets were shorter than others. And I made some of the divisions wider than others. So she had some tall, skinny pockets for hairsticks, a short, fat pocket for her wide-toothed comb, etc. I also added a strap over which to thread bobby pins; and the whole thing rolled up and tied with ties, and I put a wee pocket on the outside as well.

I think I might make another one for me to take to Disneyland next year; maybe a bit bigger so I can fit my brush in there as well. You could add press-studs on one of the fatter pockets to close it, to keep elastics safe.

I've also considered doing a wall-hangy thing for the bathroom, with similar pockets and straps and such. Maybe I could combine the two - no reason the holder wouldn't hang up as well as roll up!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#22 of 23 Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 PM

DD did something cute the other day. She put most of her hair clippies on her My LIttle Ponies. I lined them up on her dresser.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#23 of 23 Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Me and our two girls both have long hair.

I like to keep hair elastics on a ring that can open and close. You can see all of the elastics (their colour and size) and you just have to rotate the spot where the ring opens to the location of the elastic you want.

I found that putting the elastics over something like a bottle or a tube stretched the smaller ones, and it was a pain to get them off if you wanted one that wasn't close to either end.

I hate digging in baskets, especially if I'm looking for two barrettes that match.

For barrettes and clips hanging up some long ribbons and clipping the barrettes and things onto them was what worked for us too. Then you can see all of the clips at once.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page