Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. mop the floors
2. scrub bathroom fixtures
3. clean the windows
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage
5. clean out fridge and freezer
6. dust ceiling fans
7. wash the cars

I thought it would be fun for everyone to share. I used to be on top of these kinds of cleaning chores, but ever since DD was born (11 months), well..., I'll start.
1. once every two months
2. once every three months
3. once a year at the most
4. twice a year
5. once a month
6. once a year
7. once a year
#2 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. mop the floors once a week
2. scrub bathroom fixtures once a week unless they're nasty
3. clean the windows once or twice a year. I really hate washing windows
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage about once a week in the summer, we don't have a garage, just a small concrete patio
5. clean out fridge and freezer once a month
6. dust ceiling fans when they need it
7. wash the cars once a month maybe? Usually only when I'm really bored and they're really dirty
#3 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM

I like this thread! Maybe it'll get me more motivated.....or at the very least help me to not feel all alone in my avoidance of chores

1.mop the floors maybe once a week...or whenever the foot/paw prints are so bad I can't see our color of laminate
2.scrub bathroom fixtures once a week (by fixtures you mean faucets, right?...light fixtures are neglected for months)
3. clean the windows couple times a year, maybe
4. sweep the porch Sometimes its daily! Only our porch though, and only because my kids litter it will dinosaurs and mudpies and if I didn't we couldn't walk through!
5.clean out the fridge and freezer once a month or less, depends on when stuff starts to fall out when I open doors and drive me bonkers
6.dust ceiling fans twice a year
7.wash car only when I'm too lazy or too broke to run through a quickie-wash...so maybe a few times a year only

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
#4 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Don't have an babies earthside yet, and I work part time from home, sooo... Oh, I also started doing Motivated Moms a month ago, otherwise it wouldn't look this "attentive" at all!

1. mop the floors
once per week; kitchen maybe twice
showers and toilets: once per week; sink is wiped out about every other day, scrubbed once per week
3. clean the windows
um, rarely...maybe one set of windows per month, so, probably about 3 - 4 times per year
garage: never that is DH's domain! porch and sunporch: every week or every other week
about a shelf a week, so once a month total, I guess
6. dust ceiling fans
see window situation
7. wash the cars
DH's domain again; I wipe out the insides with window cleaner and rags about once every 4 months?

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#5 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM

1. mop the floors every other day
2. scrub bathroom fixtures at least every other day someties daily for the sink. the tub and sauna get cleaned weekly. though I do scrub it out before I bathe or give the kids a bath.
3. clean the windowsonce a week
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage we don't have a garage. I Sweep the porch every other day (we use it daily)
5. clean out fridge and freezer as needed- I try to clean it out once a month and wi[pe it down
6. dust ceiling fans don't have any
7. wash the cars pretty much never though I do clean out the inside every couple of months.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#6 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM

1. mop the floors only in spots as needed! and then housecleaners come about 3 times per year and they do it all
2. scrub bathroom fixtures daily, in that I do the flylady swish and swipe
3. clean the windows never, but we had it done professionally this year because we got some new windows and the old ones were so awful in comparison
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage twice per week, but never all at once
5. clean out fridge and freezer rotate food and spot clean twice per week
6. dust ceiling fans never and we do have one
7. wash the cars never, I can't get over the waste of water in the desert

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#7 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 AM

A lot of averages I think, it's not an extact science...

1. mop the floors we have 2600 sq ft of bare floors...
Kitchen, hall & bathroom- 2-3 x's a month; rest of house - 2x's a year

2. scrub bathroom fixtures - about every 10 days, but do wipe occassionally in between

3. clean the windows - 1x's a year

4. sweep the porch/patio/garage - front porch - weekly; back porch 2-3x's a year; garage - 2-3x's a year with spot sweeping

5. clean out fridge and freezer - 6 times a year

6. dust ceiling fans - 1x a year

7. wash the cars - never; seriously, think we have sprayed down the truck once with the pressure washer since we got in Oct 2006, but hey it's a truck and we live on a dirt road in the woods
#8 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM

1. mop the floors I try for once a week, but it's usually every other week, sometimes more like once a month

2. scrub bathroom fixturesThis is part of my regular bathroom cleaning routine, so every week.

3. clean the windows I do the insides once a month (we have low windows so we get kiddo handprints and doggie nose splotches) I get around the outsides once a year or so, except the slider which gets done when I do the insides (because of doggie noses)

4. sweep the porch/patio/garage whenever we need to...I know that's not specific, but I can't give a good answer on this one. If it's windy and we're planning to use the space we might sweep the deck/front patio several days in a row. In the winter when nobody goes out back much we don't sweep the deck for 6+ months at a time.

5. clean out fridge and freezer I toss out stuff that's gone bad each week when I do the grocery shopping. I move everything and wiipe the shelves etc down every couple of months or so.

6. dust ceiling fans whenever I remember, maybe every other month? I'm not quite sure on this one.

7. wash the cars me personally? rarely. Honestly, only when it's warm and ds wants to wash the car so he can play in the water. BUT dh works at a car dealership and he is allowed to use the detail area to wash our cars, so whenever he's at work and not busy he'll take whichever car he's got that day out and rinse it off.
#9 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 PM

My situation is that my dh and I are in school full time with 2 kids; a 3 and 6yr old.
1. mop the floors
3. clean the windows
6. dust ceiling fans
7. wash the cars

1. I do a mop about once a month, however i regularly clean up messes/spills with a cloth, and sweep once a week.

2. Twice a week in the two bathrooms i take care of, dh probably cleans his once a year

3. About once a month on the main level- Its the Kids job, they do the back patio and back windows- i haven't cleaned the upstairs windows ever and we have lived here two years.

4. We hose it off regularly in the summer, and shovel it in the winter. The garage gets swept twice a year when i do a seasonal cleaning. (after winter and before winter )

5. Once a month, wiping up spills in between.

6. 3x a year

7. This is so sporadic, some times i go 3x in one month, other times it will be five months before i was it (thanks for reminding me to do this, think i'm gonna have the kids do it today)

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#10 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
L J

I only have one 3.5 year old right now, and I'm pg with #2, so I'm kind of nesting. That said, I am SO much better about these tasks, and all others, now that my ds is older and I have more time hands free.

1. mop the floors 3 x's a week, spot clean with a washcloth every day
2. scrub bathroom fixtures 2 x's a week, swipe daily
3. clean the windows Once a month - we have few windows, and they are covered all the time to keep it cool in there. I never wash them on the outside - I rent. I think if I owned, it'd be different.
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage Just have a small porch, but I sweep it once a week.
5. clean out fridge and freezer I do it every week on the same day, the day before I do grocery shopping.
6. dust ceiling fans 1 x a week
7. wash the cars This one... eh. I'll drive it through when I have a minute before work. NOT something I am going to do by hand. Its just not my thing.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#11 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 PM

This is all from when we lived in our own home. My parents have a housekeeper and we live with them temporarily, so I'm kind of spoiled.

1. mop the floors
Daily for kitchen/dining area, weekly for the rest of the house. I *hate* gritty, dirty floors.

Wipe-down daily. Actual scrubbing, 2x/month

3. clean the windows
Maybe once every 3-4 months.

Porch-weekly, patio-rarely, garage-almost never

once a month, unless it gets really filthy

6. dust ceiling fans
never had 'em.

7. wash the cars
Never. We just park outside when rain is in the forecast.
#12 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

1. mop the floors -- once a week or any other time needed
2. scrub bathroom fixtures -- once a week, twice in summer (because i wash the bathroom once a week in 3 seasons, and 2 times in summer)
3. clean the windows -- seasonally, but in the winter, we have to wash the window frames every week so that mold doesn't get in.
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage -- once a month, more if needed.
5. clean out fridge and freezer -- once a week
6. dust ceiling fans -- don't have any, but weekly when i did as part of weekly dusting
7. wash the cars -- don't have one, but when i did, i cleaned it out daily (always removing trash and papers and such), vacuumed once a week, washed every other week, but in winter, every week when there was salt on the roads.

it might be helpful to note that we live in a small, one-bedroom apartment. our fridge is about 1/2 to 1/3 the side of the average american fridge, and it is empty once a week because we run out of food, so i clean it then, and then we go grocery shopping and fill it up (honestly, we have to go shopping twice a week because of storage issues).

i don't have a car, a garage, etc etc etc. so, we are lucky.
#13 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM

1. mop the floors on average once a week - at times I mop it more frequently, and other times we may go 2 weeks. Now that I have a steam mop it's somewhat enjoyable.
2. scrub bathroom fixtures Once a week, or every other week.
3. clean the windows I'm bad at this - before we have company over?
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage DH does these - probably once every couple weeks. He cleans the outside areas and organizes and sweeps the garage.
5. clean out fridge and freezer once a month? or as needed - I usually make DH do it.
6. dust ceiling fans When I notice dust on the ceiling as a result or before company comes
7. wash the cars OMGosh, my car - never. Seriously, I've had it for almost a year and have never been through a car wash or washed it myself. DH has a nicer, newer vehicle and he washes it probably once every other week. We live on dirt roads and where it's dusty/sandy, so I don't see the point, myself.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM

1. mop the floors Once a week, spot clean in between if needed
2. scrub bathroom fixtures Once a week
3. clean the windows Ha! Once a year
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage Patio is swept once a week
5. clean out fridge and freezer Fridge gets cleaned out once a week, freezer maybe 3 times a year
6. dust ceiling fans Once a month
7. wash the cars I have to vacuum my car/clean the interior once a week, but I only wash the outside once a month or so

In fairness, I will say that we have a house cleaner who comes once a week, so technically she does the mopping and the cleaning the bathroom. And the gardener we hire does the patio. I do the other jobs on the list.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#15 of 39 Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 PM

1. mop the floors
Bathroom, maybe monthly. Kitchen, a couple of times a week.
Weekly
3. clean the windows
Maybe twice a year, except windows on doors, which is about monthly.
Monthly
Every couple of months.
6. dust ceiling fans
Rarely
7. wash the cars
About every two months.
#16 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 AM

1. mop the floors Once a month.
2. scrub bathroom fixtures Once or twice a week.
3. clean the windows 3-4 times a year.
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage Porch-Twice a month. The garage is not my area to clean.
5. clean out fridge and freezer Scrubbed 3-4 times a year.
6. dust ceiling fans Once a month.
7. wash the cars Never.
#17 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 03:19 AM

1. mop the floors

Once or twice a month..with spot cleaning in between.

Wipe down daily. scrubbed once a week
3. clean the windows
Twice a year

monthly
weekly
6. dust ceiling fans
Ceiling fans.. We don't have any...we have air conditioning.
7. wash the cars
They get washed for us by Lexus, once a month when I take the car there.

SAHM to three
#18 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 01:04 PM

1. mop the floors - Kitchen almost daily, bathrooms weekly
2. scrub bathroom fixtures - at least once a week
3. clean the windows - inside whenever they bug me, outside maybe twice a year
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage - every other week or so
5. clean out fridge and freezer - spot clean and toss leftovers constantly
6. dust ceiling fans - don't have any
7. wash the cars - maybe once a year

I'm a mother to one, stepmother to one and wife to my one.
#19 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

1. mop the floors About as often as the bathroom fixtures get srubbed. Our house is all hardwood, except the bathrooms. Oh, and the basement - it's carpeted because of an ordinance.

2. scrub bathroom fixtures Our bathroom is scrubbed every couple of weeks. The other (unused) bathrooms? Not quite so often. I do clean both of the half-baths pretty regularly, though.

3. clean the windows Next question!

4. sweep the porch/patio/garage Never.

5. clean out fridge and freezer Obsessively.

6. dust ceiling fans Don't have any.

7. wash the cars Um . . . never? I take my car to be detailed whenever I get around to it - but washing a car on a Brooklyn street sounds like a huge ball of absolutely-no-fun-whatsoever to me.

I'm coming out of this feeling very much like maybe I need a cleaning lady, since I obviously can't handle my house myself. Yikes.
#20 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 PM

1. mop the floors - whole house - once a week. Kitchen / bathrooms usually twice.
2. scrub bathroom fixtures - thoroughly, with cleaner, once a week. Quick swipe with water only about every other day.
3. clean the windows- living room & kitchen french windows once a month-ish, or after rain. Others only after rain.
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage Front veranda - we eat there in summer so about every other day in this season. Otherwise about once a month. Back balcony about once month. Garage about once per season.
5. clean out fridge and freezer - check stored items for freshness, expiry, once a week before the big shopping trip. Wipe it down? only spot cleaning when necessary
6. dust ceiling fans - dont have them.
7. wash the cars. A car wash will pick mine up from my workplace, clean it and bring it back before I leave . So about every 6 weeks. DH - when very dirty.

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#21 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 PM

I can't get over how many of you are able to mop your kitchen floors less frequently than once per week!! Maybe it's because my kids are messy eaters or the fact that we have an English Mastiff who weighs 175lbs, coupled w/4 kids and 2 adults, but man our kitchen floor gets so dirty that it's a stretch to only do it once weekly!!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#22 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 PM

KayleeZoo I have to admit that I sometimes think I should mop my floor more often!

However it does depend on the type of floor you have too...ours is a darkish reddy/brown cork flooring which does not show dirt easily. Also we don't have any pets. If my son drops crumbs when he is snacking in the kitchen area, I just sweep it up, and if anything gets dropped I will spot clean that area with a wet cloth.

SAHM to three
#23 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM

1. mop the floors
ideally: weekly
reality: every two to four weeks
weekly
3. clean the windows
once a year? If they have finger prints, they get cleaned, but otherwise, um..
n/a really
clean out monthly, clean--wipe down and scrub every 3-6 months or as needed
6. dust ceiling fans
weekly
7. wash the cars
when I have time to drive through the car wash (every two weeks to month)

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#24 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Re the infrequent mopping - it bums me out, but I have yet to meet the mopping technology that will make it easy enough to do regularly. Our dogs are very sheddy on the rugs, so vacuuming takes priority, and they clean up food spills so efficiently. And then our brown-toned saltillo tiles just rarely show it. So the excuses go on and on.

Ultimately, I think we just have an embarrassingly high tolerance for dirty floors, at least if I can't feel the dirt under my bare feet.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#25 of 39 Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I can't get over how many of you are able to mop your kitchen floors less frequently than once per week!! Maybe it's because my kids are messy eaters or the fact that we have an English Mastiff who weighs 175lbs, coupled w/4 kids and 2 adults, but man our kitchen floor gets so dirty that it's a stretch to only do it once weekly!!
Well, I'm childless - due in January with our first - and have only a 20-year-old cat. I don't mop the kitchen at all, though - my Dyson takes care of it. My lovely, lovely, would-run-away-with-it-if-I-could Dyson.
#26 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 AM

1. mop the floors once a week.
2. scrub bathroom fixtures daily pretty much. I like them shiny.
3. clean the windows. Never really. ok--rarely.
4. sweep the porch/patio/garage. very rarely.
5. clean out fridge and freezer once a week.
6. dust ceiling fans when they need it
7. wash the cars maybe once a month

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#27 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM

Sounds like most of us have some dirty cars (unless it rains).

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#28 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
Well, I'm childless - due in January with our first - and have only a 20-year-old cat. I don't mop the kitchen at all, though - my Dyson takes care of it. My lovely, lovely, would-run-away-with-it-if-I-could Dyson.
OMG don't tell me they now make a Dyson that washes the floor for you...I have to get one!

I have an old Dyson but it is just a vacuum, it doesn't wash the floor.

SAHM to three
#29 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Mop floors: once a week
Scrib bathroom fixtures: about once a week
clean the windows: maybe once a month or every couple months
Sweep the porch,patio,garage: porch about once a week, patio, don't have one but sweep the back walkway and deck every 1-2 weeks, garage, DH does it one to two times a year, we don't use it for the car though, just storage
Clean out fridge and freezer: fridge maybe once a month, freezer maybe once a year
Dust ceiling fans: a couple times a year
wash the cars: once a month if they're lucky!

ok, I feel really lazy after answering those questions!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#30 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
We have 2 largish dogs (roughly 100 lb ea) but only 1 kiddo, so we don't have as many feet tracking things in, plus I sweep/vacuum the hard floors very frequently. At least once a day, often more- I keep a cordless mini vac charged and ready to go, and I use a wet rag to wipe up any spills as soon as they happen. I have found that if I don't leave crumbs or dirt etc on the floor long enough to get smashed and ground onto the floor, the floor stays much cleaner so it doesn't need mopping as often. Before I started sweeping every day, the floors looked filthy within a few days of mopping, because people/dogs would track stuff in, then it would get stepped on and spread around, etc. It takes me only about 2 minutes to run the mini vac over the floors here, and it makes such a difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page