Alternatives to plastic storage bins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so motivated to organize and simplify now that we have a functioning storage shed at our home

But I noticed that I do not want to keep things in cardboard boxes...and as much as I hate plastic, those darn giant plastic bins are so easy to use a convenient!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for storing things like winter clothes, holiday decorations, etc....that is not plastic??

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#2 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM

What about big canvas duffle bags for the clothes?

#3 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any other options other than the plastic bins either I find that they do not fit as much due to sizing as my old cardboard boxes. However, they do keep out any bugs and are uniform which are a plus. I will be interested to see any other suggestions along with you
#4 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

What about large wooden crates? I've seen fruit come in them sometimes (not pallets).

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#5 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
i would store the clothes in space bags

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm....Canvas bags might work for the clothes, and crates for things that I dont mind being exposed.

Well maybe if I do a combination, and just use the plastic sparingly Hey at least we are all trying!

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#7 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

I have less issue with plastic that has a long life span. I'm assuming you don't plan on trashing the plastic containers.... that you will continue to use and reuse them, and if you reach a point where they no longer serve a purpose to you, you would pass them along? I'm mostly ok with using plastic in those ways.
#8 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Plastic bins are
1) reusable for a lifetime
2) Keep out water
3) keep out bugs
4) Easy to label and stack
5) Easy to freecycle because people always want and can use them

So even though we dont love plastic, I do see them as a good long term investment because they really protect our stuff from damage (have had two floods in our basement and only stuff that survived was the stuff in plastic bins). We've had ours for over ten years and they get constantly reused, have been through 3 moves and have been essential for making sure our stuff stays clean, dry, bug free in a very damp basement.

The other thing we have that works well is an old cedar lined trunk/chest from my grandmother. We have our linens in it, and it keeps moths and bugs out, but it wont do anything it the chest gets wet, and while you might be able to get one on craig's list, they are very expensive if you buy them new.

Mama to Charlotte (2/14/07) and Julian (11/27/10) both born at home.
#9 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillychiquita View Post
Plastic bins are
1) reusable for a lifetime
2) Keep out water
3) keep out bugs
4) Easy to label and stack
5) Easy to freecycle because people always want and can use them
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I have less issue with plastic that has a long life span. I'm assuming you don't plan on trashing the plastic containers.... that you will continue to use and reuse them, and if you reach a point where they no longer serve a purpose to you, you would pass them along? I'm mostly ok with using plastic in those ways.
Good points ladies....and yes they will be reused and reused....I have tried to find them used even, but most people must have the same values because it is almost impossible!!

#10 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Yeah, we have plastic bins too. They are just *so* useful and if they ever do break/crack they are recyclable. I store clothes, books, toys, electronics, college textbooks, all sorts of stuff in them. And theres just no real, good alternative, IMO.
#11 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM

We have rats in our storage shed, so I can't see using anything but plastic. Wood and canvas are too, er... permeable.

Hopefully you don't have this issue though. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
#12 of 14 Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 AM

I had the same conundrum! We are now down to only three plastic storage tubs from many, many of them. Here's what I did: got rid of everything in them, and set them out in the giveaway spot where we live. Really. I figured if it didn't fit somewhere in the house, it wasn't welcome anymore. The extra seasonal clothes fit in the closet now since it's been seriously pared down, the old memoirs finally found a resting place, the holiday decorations are down to one small cardboard box. Our storage room now has a sled, a snow shovel, a broken piece of wall art, and the toys that are out of rotation (in the bins). And life feels a bit free right now.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#13 of 14 Old 08-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Banned

if you want to go hard core old school, you'll want cedar chests that have been sealed (usually oil sealed like a wine barrel).

you'll want to wrap the clothing in canvas with lavender, rosemary, or other aromatics that keep insects away, and then put them into the cedar chests, and then you can pile them up.

if you know a woodworker, you could probably have them made to size.

but that's the old school way to store, and keep bugs/water/etc out.
#14 of 14 Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned

or, store them in your suitcases.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page