Downsizing with a large family..HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we are doing something we have NEVER done in our life. We are packing up and moving from the city to a smaller country farm house. We are so excited, BUT we have too much stuff! We have children aged from 4y/o to 14 y/o. FIVE children in all. I ran a daycare for 10 years and so there are millions of toys. right now we have a 14 room home. We are moving to a house with only 9-10 rooms. The rooms are bigger, but we don't have an attic like we have here.

I am beginning to think I am a pack rat. I am terrified to get rid of all the toys I have spent so long collecting. Once my 2 older boys said they did not want a couple of these huge trucks, so we sold them. A few years later my third boy and I were walking through a used toy store and my son fell in love with the exact truck I had sold. I bought it for a second time.

Then there are all the kitchen stuff. No I don't use it every day, but I do use it at least once a year.

How do i let go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin4kids View Post
....there are millions of toys. right now we have a 14 room home. We are moving to a house with only 9-10 rooms. The rooms are bigger, but we don't have an attic like we have here.
....Then there are all the kitchen stuff. No I don't use it every day, but I do use it at least once a year.
How do i let go?
One thing that helps is not taking it with you - do you have an idea of how much shelf space/storage bins & closet space each kid will have? Try to estimate box space, give each child their allotment of boxes, & let them pick what they want to keep (maybe break down boxes into toys, books, clothes, & with more assistance for smaller children). Group toys that are large could be subject to a vote by all the kids (we can take 5 large toys - which ones do you like best?).

For kitchen stuff - do you have a barn or outbuilding/shed that some seasonal stuff could go in, if it's kept in metal trashcans or something similarly rat & squirrrel proof? Some clothing could go into similar storage. Otherwise, try to pick what you use the most, or is the most versatile.

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page