Fresh paint-pictures! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I painted my son's room two weeks ago with my dad. We also took down dark wooden shutters that were covering every window.

I still need to get curtains and put things back on the wall. I need advice on the furniture arrangement. Any ideas for curtains? Also this room will be shared with the new baby soon, I am due in November. The baby will probably be in our room for the first 6 months or so. But we do need to get another dresser in this room for the new baby.

Still a work in progress. Advice and ideas are welcome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2646584...7624456250217/

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Gorgeous color! For window treatments, I'd go with an inside mounted roman or bamboo shade. I wouldn't cover or poke holes in that pretty moulding. A nice area rug would also cozy the room up a lot.

ETA: I'm not sure about furniture placement as I'm having a hard time figuring out the layout of the room through tiny little iPhone pictures.
#3 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM

I agree with inside mounted shades! We have similar windows in a house we're going to be renovating and I'd like to only do some nice shades
#4 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

is there any furniture in there that can go or is going to go? i would remove the futon.

if it were just for one bed, i would put the bed where the dresser is (in the first picture) perpendicular to the wall such that there is a window on either side of the bed. I would put the book case on one side of the bed (under a window) and the toy chest on the other (under the other window) as "bed-side tables.'

i would put the dresser on the wall with the third window, likely on the left side (when facing the window).

on the wall with the door, between the door and the radiator, if i were using a crib and my child were sharing this room with an infant, i would put the crib there (between door and radiator).

all along the long wall, i would put the various toys and storage for those.

i love the color.

i would recommend tension rods with basic curtains of any kind, or roller shades that you can draw at night to block the light, but raise during the day to let the light in.
#5 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 PM

It looks really nice. We like having roller blinds behind the curtains so things are more blacked out than with just regular curtains. Helps make it darker in the summer when the sun stays up late.

If you have a sewing machine it is really really easy to make curtains.

Tjej
#6 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM

I love the color!

I like blinds - but could you paint the shutters? We have shutters in our bedroom and I love them but they are white.
#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

The shutters are gone, I listed them on freecycle and I didn't like them enough to paint them.

The room is roughly 20x10, it originally was two bedrooms but was converted to one bedroom by a previous owner.

The one long wall has a single window and the double window, currently on that wall is the bed, dresser, toy box and radiator.

The other long wall has the door to the bedroom, the futon the bookshelf and kitchen.

One short wall has single window and the other short wall has the toy drawers and closet drawer.

The futon will eventually be relocated and there will probably be a crib in there in several months.

Tension rods inside the frame are a good idea. I wasn't sure where to hang the curtain rods since this house has such wide, nice trim. The windows downstairs and in our bedroom had curtain rods up (the little white metal ones) inside the frame so i just put up white sheers for not.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#8 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I do have a sewing machine but I am not a great sewer. I can probably handle making simple curtains with a pole pocket.

BTW if anyone is wondering the color is Benjamin Moore Tranquil Blue. We used their Natura line and were really happy with the application and coverage.

#9 of 10 Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 AM

Great job! I love Tranquil blue with white trim...we have it in the kids bath now, and had it in the hallway of our old house.

I agree with removing the futon. Long narrow rooms are such a challenge!
#10 of 10 Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm a fan of actual curtains so that's what I would go with. Hanging them wide would allow the lovely molding to be seen when the curtains are open and it would also make the window appear bigger than it is. We got nice heavy-weight curtains from IKEA, they were quite affordable also - ours were creamy white.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page