How do you deal with your dirty kitchen laundry? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread prompted me to do a search and I found this which may be of interest...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5573464_kill...g-machine.html

SAHM to three
#32 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 AM

I like to wash kitchen stuff on it's own. So I have a laundry basket that I put the kitchen stuff in. Wet cloths hang on the side of the basket and I push them in when they are dry. Our laundry area is behind a bifold door/pantry type area in the kitchen so it sits on top of the washer but I think I'd do something similar (maybe under the kitchen sink) if our laundry was elsewhere. Actually, I have a small wastebasket for my boys to throw their cloths in after drying hands.

We go through a lot of kitchen laundry because we dry hands on fresh kitchen washcloths rather than a communal towel hanging up, use kitchen cloths as napkins and to wash faces before eating if needed, as well as the typical wiping the table and drying dishes stuff so we go through a lot. But I purchased enough that I have a wash load before I run out. That way I can wash them on their own without wasting water or my time.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#33 of 41 Old 08-13-2010, 01:44 AM

I have a small laudry baskiet next to the buffet in the dining room. I throw all napkins, dishclothes, placemats, baby face clohes and bibs in there, and when it is full I take it downstairs and do a hot wash. I usually let dishclothes dry over the tap/edge of sink overnight, and tea towels hang over the stove handle before putting them in the basket so there is nothing wet in there. I usually do a load every 2 weeks.
#34 of 41 Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 AM

That is really funny to see all the different ways people do it!

For us, our laundry is right by/in the kitchen. When I have a dirty towel or wash cloth I throw it right into the washing machine. I do the same with any random clothes that are downstairs. Friday is laundry day so whatever is in the washer on Friday gets washed first But I have no issues washing kitchen laundry with clothing laundry.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#35 of 41 Old 08-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Wow. I never even thought in terms of "kitchen laundry!"

We have three towels and two dish rags that we use all week, and they get thrown into the rest of the laundry on Sundays (dark stuff with darks; light stuff with whites). We have three bath towels we use all week too. Then they get hung back up for another week. Perhaps that is unsanitary but I've been doing it all my life, including at my parents' house. I'll go hide under a chair now.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#36 of 41 Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM

We have a plastic bin under the learning tower which lives in front of our sink for any kitchen laundry.

Our washer is broken so I've been going to the laundromat every few days. I couldn't stand the wet cloths (we go through a lot and it is hot summer weather) so I swished them around in hot water, soaked them overnight in the kitchen sink with laundry soap, rinsed the next day, then hung outside to dry. Very easy and they seemed clean enough with the bleaching action of the sun. I may continue this practice.
#37 of 41 Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 PM

My laundry room is right off my kitchen (through a door) and I have a small metal drying rack out there that holds anything wet. Whenever I do a load of laundry, whatever is on the rack goes in with the load.

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
#38 of 41 Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 AM

Huh, now that I have a washer and dryer where I can select different load sizes instead of paying a set amount for a set size of load, should I start worrying about all this sorting? Oh wait, I stopped sorting before moving back to apartment living.

Yeah, no signs of plague around here, I think you'll be safe washing the dishtowels with the socks.

I always use a hamper with vented sides. Like those popup mesh hampers or a laundry basket. Wet things get really nasty if you leave them closed up in plastic.
#39 of 41 Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Everyone seems so organized with it. The real problem for us is that DH has some OCD issues, and goes through A LOT of washcloths. I will come home from a day at work to find about 4 wet wash cloths, probably each having been used only once, in a pile on the back of the sink. I personally would use one wash cloth all day long, rinsing it out in between uses, and then life would be easier. But he is different. So I'm going to try to find some kind of basket or thing we can hang them over the side of, so they can dry. Otherwise they are getting all mildewy and moldy and I'm just going to end up throwing them out. Do other people bleach their kitchen stuff that isn't white, BTW? I always feel like I'm not supposed to bleach stuff unless it is white. But lately I have been bleaching the kitchen things because they are so nasty. I think I'm going to just get rid of anything that has color, or mold, and then get all new white washcloths and towels, dry them before going in a basket, and bleach when needed.
#40 of 41 Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 PM

I put mine in the laundry with the rest, but I always worry about the "no oil" thing in the dryer. I think I will have to start washing them separate but it's such a pain!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#41 of 41 Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM

and now for a less organized answer: I throw them down the stairs to the basement, and when we go down to let the dogs out, they get thrown into the laundry room, usually on the floor! We found that when we tried to contain them they just got nasty, and all the throwing seems to dry them out a little

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page