Sharing the LOVE of Simplicity... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The book Simplicity Parenting! Oh wow, it's got ideas on just about *everything!*

I'm in love. I already simplified the kids' room...they did not miss the garbage bag full of various character toys and just junk that I rarely saw them play with. (The idea is that some toys, like character dolls, etc. limit play and that *nothing* can be loved in the middle of a pile where they can't find it.) They actually seem to *play* more in there now because they can see things. (there are a few things in their closet for rotation and a few loved but noisy things that only come out when nobody is sleeping.)

I *added* a basket with paper, coloring books we already had, and washable crayons and colored pencils we already had...those were limited use and I realized it was pretty unnecessary...so I unrestricted them and got rid of everything not washable. (kids need creative, artistic expression.)

I also did a major clothes clean-out, which created some space for toy rotation storage. Now, the only stuff in their drawers (and reach) is stuff they can wear whenever....appropriate for weather and play. clothes to wear when going out, they get a choice still but they can't reach them, so I need to help (and give approval)

I have not done the mealtime simplification yet, but I want to. (basically it is meal planning by having a 'category' for every day of the week) Sounds boring....but he's right, it's precisely the fact that you are doing something "out of the routine" that makes surprises so much fun. think about when you were in school and there was a treat day, party day, movie day, etc....fun because it deviated from a predictable routine.
I think the meal thing will really make grocery shopping easy and I have a serious case of "I don't know what to cook" that would be eliminated...Tuesday night? tacos or chicken enchiladas...etc.

I don't necessarily agree on the topic of total TV and screen-free but...the rest of it is awesome enough that i don't care. (and I *do* highly agree with limiting 'adult content' shows/topics in children's presence--the news etc.)

Simplicity Parenting. Kim John Payne. Highly recommend it.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's on my want list. I'm really looking forward to reading it! Can I ask if there was any one thing that particularly struck you?

Me , DH , Emmy (5/08), and new baby Tilda (1/10)
Old 08-07-2010, 08:49 PM

I have to agree with you! I am slowly getting thru the book (thanks to the wonderful posters here!) and am reading about the toys...I have taken time over the past month to rake through the toys several times...easy enough with my DS, but much harder time now that we are down to mostly American Girl stuff that DD *loves* (and has a lot of, well mostly generic stuff, but still).

Here is a question for you - do you have a lot of board games/games, and if you do, were you able to simplify? Our kids are 7 and 5 (with one more on the way), and these games take a LOT of space, but are loved, lol!

I would love to have a book chat over the book and our experiences for everyone reading/who has read it!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM

I LOVED this book! I highly recommend. We already do most of what the author talked about but its always good to have a refresher.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The thing that really struck me was the toys and books. So far, that was the thing I was able to start with and see the change. I put 2 grocery plastic bags full of books in storage--I eventually plan to probably both downsize the collection some more and get them a (small) plastic tub. Since I narrowed down the available book choices to about 20 (was supposed to be 15, 5 per kid) books plus their small collection of magazines (about 10-15 wildlife magazines mostly) they *all* read so much more! (before, they rarely got out books unless I initiated, now *they* bring me books a couple times a day and my oldest is finding and reading books!)
Before, it was a jumbled mess and they couldn't easily find their books.

my plan is to switch out some every so often, probably not all 20 at once, just the ones I don't see being read maybe? (might be a good way to further downsize the collection too. )

And since i have downsized and organized the toys, they actually go in and play. (I think I said in the OP what I got rid of.) I made sure to leave in things like blankets to use, make forts, etc. and ADDED a few washable art supplies--with 3 kids 5 and under, I limited this to erasable colored pencils, washable crayons, pencils, erasers, a sharpener, and paper. Other art supplies still need more supervision or only come out when baby's asleep. (that's all in the book, suggestions on what to take out and actually ideas on things to *add.*)

we actually don't have many board games at this point, they are 5 and 3 and 1 and I find it frustrating really to even try it. (we used to have candyland...)
I've often thought it would be really fun to have a local lending library for stuff like board games and puzzles, but I've never really come up with a plan for how to get the money to start and to replace items with lost/broken pieces. Really...I mean, how many times do they want to put together the same puzzle? (OK initally, a lot, but after awhile...) Does anyone play more than a few board games in a week or so time frame?
Eventually you get bored with one, play something else, and it's eventually fun to come back to an old favorite again. but with a SERIOUS lack of storage space, I've really thought it would be fun to lend them around when not in use so *I* don't have to store them....

The thing I am trying now is the meal planning and menu use. I just did a big grocery-shop (all but the fresh stuff basically) of ingredients for many favorite meals for the month. My plan is to come up with a 'theme' for each day of the week and then 4-5 things that fit that category, so that I have meals for the month and not too much repetition. (with the exception of having tacos and chicken enchiladas rotate Tuesdays--also cheap restaurant day, so that is the day likely to have takeout sometimes. and I'll occasionally do chicken fajitas and tacos--dh and I like chicken fajitas, nobody else really does. And Chinese and pizza might rotate a 'fun day' because you can have plenty of different toppings and I'll rotate between doing just a big fried rice thing that they love and stir-fry) Those are the 4 major favorite things I think so they'll show up a little more than once a month.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Thanks for letting us know about the book. I've got it on hold at my library and I'm sure I'll devour it in a day or two (in between mad decluttering)!

Shellie
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM

I heard about this book from someone on this board. I requested it from the library and devoured it. I've renewed it twice, but now I have to send it back. It is awesome! I think every parent should read it. I was thinking about including it in a baby gift but didn't know how that would go over since every parent really needs to find their own way. I wish I would have read it before I had children. We have simplified toys and books-not quite to the extent that he recomends but it has made a big difference. We still watch t.v. but limit it even more than we did before. I cannot say enough good about this book.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

It is a great idea to give this book to new parents! Mine are 7 and 5 and I am getting a late start, though not going as extreme as the author suggests. With #3 I will have better habits to begin with and not have to worry about wasted time, space, and $.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM

So getting this book! Thanks fir the recommendation. Working on purging the house now for simplicity's sake. Sounds perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 PM

I am currently reading this book and I am loving every sentence of it. This book resonates and makes so much sense to me.

Elizabeth in NC
Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM

I picked up the book earlier this week after it finally came in (I put it on hold a week or more ago!) and am now half way through it. Yesterday DH took DS out of the house and I decluttered DS's toys..However since I had gathered them from throughout the house and then left all that remained in one central location it didn't look like I had decluttered a lot (ie there still seemed to be a fair amount, so DS didn't go into sudden shock of "where did all my toys go?") 1.5 boxes went to the thrift shop (and was delivered yesterday before DS got home, so he could not go through it and take anything out!) and the rest went into storage for rotation, future kids (we are trying to conceive) or future decluttering.. (I have a hard time getting rid of toys!)

I haven't done the books yet and in fact picked up more kids books yesterday, but they fit within the categories of books to keep, so I told myself it was ok.. While I understand his principles behind the books.. that one is still hard for me.. I'm a bibliophile and want to pass that on to my kids and am debating his ideas back and forth... but for now I think I really need to work on my clutter around the house before I remove any more of DS's... I think that is only fair!!

This week, I'll also be pondering routines and rythems...

Kym
Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM

I've got it on hold at the library -- there are 18 people ahead of me, though! Looking forward to reading it.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Subbing just so that I remember to go look for this....not that I have the time to read it or anything.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 PM

I actually met the author. He did a talk in my town. He was really well-spoken and made a lot of sense. I also didn't 100% agree with the no tv thing. He is pretty serious about it. He called it "poison" to children's brains. I don't really go that far with it. I think a little pbskids isn't gonna hurt anyone

But I loved his talk and he also offered a workshop the following day but it was like 100 dollars so we didn't go. I am going to read the book soon although it's probably mostly what he talked about it.

I really liked it.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)

User Tag List