WHAT do you do with your messy "horizontal spaces to throw crap?!" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post
I want to start off by saying that I love your generous use of the word crap.

It's craptastic.

I'm thinking you could use some decorative boxes to store the misc. crap that gathers. They must have lids though so you don't have to see the crap. And perhaps you need a policy that if the crap doesn't make it to the crap receptacle, it gets tossed in a bag with other crap and hidden somewhere for a specified amount of time. If that plan causes mutiny, at least it's easy to shovel the crap into a box. Just cup the crap into the crap box, like when you spill sugar onto the counter.

Now that I think about it, I need some crap receptacles of my own. We're going to put our house on the market, so I'll need a handy place to stash the crap when people come see the house!
I forgot all about this post till I did a search tonight and there it was....thank you for making me laugh till I *almost* peed my pants....then again doesn't take much on the randomly 8 month preggo mama...

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
I forgot all about this post till I did a search tonight and there it was....thank you for making me laugh till I *almost* peed my pants....then again doesn't take much on the randomly 8 month preggo mama...

Haha! I forgot about it too until just right now and lo and behold, the most recent post was yours in reference to mine!

***Crap Update!***

After reading this thread, I ran out, drove my crappy car to that great purveyor of all things crap, Walmart, and bought several crap receptacles in the office section. (They are solid colored boxes that are big enough for legal size paper.) I then proceeded to stash my crap in said crap receptacles and followed by listing our house for sale. We were happily surprised that even in this crappy market, our house sold at asking price in only 2 weeks!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Old 10-02-2010, 05:14 AM

Ohhhhhhh! I so hate it too! we have a 2 bd and no office and I have no idea how other people store all of their bills, stuff from school, and just papers! what do you do? I so wish we had an office!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:14 AM

Reading Mama
wow! what a great feeling!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 AM

this thread is really helpful
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
me too
Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
We just have a hard and fast rule that horizontal surfaces are not allowed to collect crap. Every night DH and I clear off the dining table, the kitchen island, and the desk. So there might be a few things on one or all of those surfaces, but since they get picked up nightly it's never an overwhelming amount.

Like right now there's a toy jaguar, the remote control, and a tissue on the desk; my phone, some superglue, a ball cap, and two goody bags from a birthday party on the island; and some play food on the table, but it's not overwhelming and it'll all be put away sometime tonight.
but where oh where do you PUT it all?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:17 PM

I have a crap colliecting counter in my kitchen that is notarious for this! And it's usually the random mail and DH's stuff. I finally put a little try on the counter and told DH the only stuff that can be there MUST fit in his tray. That helps with his stuff but the rest still accumulates. Ugh.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 AM

I have a crap collecting counter in my kitchen too...I cleared it completely a week ago but it is pretty covered again now...sigh.

SAHM to three
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I have a crap collecting counter in my kitchen too...I cleared it completely a week ago but it is pretty covered again now...sigh.
Thanks - I feel less like a complete failure now.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutterwarrior View Post
I know, us too. It's like a spreading disease or fungus! it's so stressful!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 PM

I try to keep it clean...notice I said 'try'! I think when we have a house and thus more room, I will keep the table put away and only bring it out for meal times.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I actually got rid of almost every horizontal surface possible in my house. Our tv sits on a small tv stand with no space to lay stuff. We have one end table in our living room. Right now there is a pack of gum, an ipod and a wine glass on it. The gum and glass wont be there before bed. Kitchen-I clean off the counters every single day for junk. Our table can become cluttered. However, we eat here minimum two meals a day so it gets cleaned off between meals. everything that lands there has a place to go or is assigned one. ie-pens go into the drawer with the pen holder in it, sunglasses have a drawer in the bathroom, ballcaps go to the coat hooks, etc. In our hall we have one cabinet with dvds in it. On top is the designated place for magazines. Mail comes in. Its opened, envelopes pitched, and we have a thing that hangs on the wall for bills. My husband takes the bills down to the office 2-3 times a week where he has a filing system in place for them. All paid online. We get ourselves off every junk mail place asap. The bedrooms are all upstairs and they simply don't gather junk on the dressers.

Key-less horizontal spaces and less stuff in your house.

User Tag List