If you had a dumpster in your front yard. . . - Mothering Forums
Organize & Declutter > If you had a dumpster in your front yard. . .
2xand2y's Avatar 2xand2y 06:45 PM 08-14-2010
what would you get rid of?

(The company empties the dumpsters at one or those sorting/recycling centers.)

MsVyky's Avatar MsVyky 07:50 PM 08-14-2010
*All the baby junk that came in truckloads to our home when I was expecting and explicitly asked NOT to be brought here- the plastic Disney toddler bed, the crib that DD has never once slept in, all the obnoxious/noisy/battery operated/non-age appropriate junk that is clogging up our basement storage room

*All the unused furniture that we've been "gifted" (read: been dumped on us by people too lazy to get rid of it in an appropriate manner)

*All the old clothes that don't fit us anymore or that we don't wear (and are not in good enough condition to be donated)

*The old gas stove in our back boot room

*The metal shed, disassembled first, of course

* Lots of yard waste
Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 08:58 PM 08-14-2010
A jagged stump covered in old, dry poison ivy. Gack. I hate the idea of lifting it into my van.
joyfulheart's Avatar joyfulheart 09:04 PM 08-14-2010
Well, we just had someone haul off an old gas grill, an non-working electric stove-top, and some other junk that's been in our garage forever. We still have a washer/dryer to get rid of...but that would be for Craig's List and not a dumpster!
broodymama's Avatar broodymama 09:12 PM 08-14-2010
Probably 80% of the stuff in the garage, it's a disaster. We have a HUGE pile of yard waste to get rid of, and at this point renting an appropriate sized chipper hasn't been in the budget. Hmmm, and probably the carpet in the living room.
Tilia's Avatar Tilia 09:23 PM 08-14-2010
The carpet in the living room, a bunch of junk the previous owners left in the garage and basement, about 80% of DD's stuffed animals that she doesn't play with

and a whole bunch of branches that we can't burn because it rains every day.
2xand2y's Avatar 2xand2y 10:21 PM 08-14-2010
So far I've thrown away 1/2 the mountain of junk inside my front door (stuff that accumulates but never gets assimilated), an old broken TV, and old broken vacuum, lots of crappy stained clothes (DH swore he was going to make a quilt but hasn't touched the bags), a ton of old school papers from the kids, and a moldy soccer chair. I haven't even thought about the back yard yet. We're leaving on an impromptu vacation in the morning but the whole time I'll be thinking about getting back to my dumpster!
broodymama's Avatar broodymama 12:45 AM 08-15-2010
OK, I'm totally envious of your front yard dumpster! I know it varies from area to area, but about how much did it cost to rent?
2xand2y's Avatar 2xand2y 01:03 AM 08-15-2010
It's my birthday gift- seriously! It cost $175 for delivery/pick-up/one week use. It is $2.50/day after your one week. They empty it at the recycling center and it cost $49/ton. They send you a bill when it's all said and done. It is the same price for every size so they recommend getting the biggest one that will fit in your driveway/yard.
tine1973's Avatar tine1973 12:56 AM 08-17-2010
all the plastic toys that have accumulated!
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 06:24 AM 08-17-2010
Oh I wanna play.....
I would get my roommate to clean out the storage shed and the storage room
(think old yard tools and outdoor junk from 30 yrs ago)
Then we can get rid of the old fans and set up the new ones
The old bar stools
Broken office chair
Broken glider swing
Dog chewed patio set

*I think we need new outside furniture after playing this little game

We have something similar, its not a dumpster but the city has 'bulk' pick up and everyone just throws the junk in a pile in the front yard 4x a year and they come around w. a front loader and pick it up. Its kinda cool to see all the cr@p everyone has but yet you wonder how and where all that stuff comes from ever 12-14 wks.
crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 12:06 PM 08-17-2010
Oooo what a great birthday gift!! Especially because they will recycle everything!

-all the computer parts that our outdated/broken
-everything left by the previous owners (like... um... a huge toolbench that takes up half the basement...)
-kitchen appliances that are broken, and all the mismatched tupperware
-furniture that is run-down or just taking up space
-broken toys
-old pieces of wood & drywall (the ones you hang onto "just in case" you need a half-destroyed 2" wide piece of wood one day )
-old light fixtures, curtains, knick-knacks, etc.
-anything the kids have outgrown that isn't worth selling
-seasonal items you haven't touched in years

Ohhh I think I could go on forever...
The4OfUs's Avatar The4OfUs 12:07 PM 08-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xand2y View Post
It's my birthday gift- seriously! It cost $175 for delivery/pick-up/one week use. It is $2.50/day after your one week. They empty it at the recycling center and it cost $49/ton. They send you a bill when it's all said and done. It is the same price for every size so they recommend getting the biggest one that will fit in your driveway/yard.
Best.BirthdayPresent.Ever.
Masel's Avatar Masel 12:44 PM 08-17-2010
We had a dumpster in April. Totally worth it. Please check to see if you can mix in yard waste and other junk. We couldn't but still managed to fill the thing up anyway.
My dumpster took away:
the back fence which was falling down
an old playhouse that my father had built when I was little
the rotting railroad tie planters that had surrounded the patio
Lots of random junk from our shed
a few broken toys

Unfortunately I hurt my knee while we still had it or I would have added more from the basement.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 02:41 PM 08-17-2010
DH would love it to clean out the garage - we could get rid of an old dryer, microwave, 2 couches, and a bunch of other random crap that is taking up most of the 3rd bay. Then we could fit another vehicle in there.

That price isn't bad at all - I think we'll look into it. I can't think of much, if anything, inside our house that I'd want to get rid of, but the garage needs to be decluttered for sure.
Up