my kitchen: take cabinet doors off? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take it off! Take it off! Once I lived in a house that had the cupboard doors on and off a few times. I could never make up my mind! What I did at the time they were off, however, was painted the backs of the cabinets the wall color. But, my cabinets were white and the dishes were white so it looked cool.
BTW-I would TOTALLY go with red in your kitchen. It would look great. It's your kitchen, and paint, well you already know, it can change in a day if you hate it.
For your beautiful dishes to look great I'd paint white the back of the cabinet only. Painting over the wood only gets you a painted future as it's a big pain to strip them. See what it looks like off and live that way a while--if it makes you smile to see your kitchen, then that's all that matters.

SMC to dd 4/07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 AM

I have flicked back and forth a few times between looking at the open then shut photos....and I would suggest that you should keep them on.

With them open, it looks cluttered and busy.

The other thing is that it is above the cooking area, (forgive me if someone has already said this, I haven't read other replies) but the grease will rise with cooking fumes and settle on everything in the cabinets.

SAHM to three
Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 AM

We used to have cabinets like that in my house growing up. I'm with you; they're hideous!

I would take them off, even though I'm really not a fan of exposed storage.

Alternatively, you could find some sort of glue that would work on them and do a sort of tile mosaic.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM

a friend did this and she had someone come and paint the insides and everything,completely professional finishing and it still looks odd to me,I am not a fan.
JMO

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM

1. Love the nice clean kitchen!

2. Great dishes I was actually looking for something similar!

3. I think closed cupboards keep a space looking clean. Also I would think trying to keep my cupboard display ready would be too much work.

4. My sister had the same cupboards and just got new doors for hers and now they look fantastic.

5. I would be hesitant to take off the cupboard doors around my stove because the cupboards above it are always slightly sticky/dusty from cooking.

6. You could always try it and if you decide you don't like it put them back on.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM

I'd be tempted to leave them on until I could get new doors...but if and when you could, consider glass doors to emphasize the excellent colour of your dishes. And plain wood for the lower doors...it would look really amazing I think.

we took ours off for a while while we were renovating and not sure what to do with the cabinets...they didn't last long off...it started to bother me to have dust in my cabinets.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 AM

I still vote for leaving the doors on. Consider painting the kitchen area the same yellow as the family room. It will help unify the spaces rather than breaking them up with all different colors.Also, your accent tiles look like they are a similar yellow so that will pull things together.Things will flow more smoothly and your eye will not stop and register all the contrasting colors when you have a continuation of the family room color and the neutral cabinets.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Take them off!! I took mine off and we love it. This was my inspiration: http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_...e-kitchen.html

You do have to try and keep them quite neat though (I'm doing ok, not amazing on this).

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks again everyone for all your thoughts. It's really appreciated.

I decided (for now) to leave them on. There are pros and cons to both. I got some cute glass containers for the table and a new fruit bowl, also a live plant to hang, which takes some focus off the ugly cabinets and on to the counter more. I'll upload a picture soon.

My husband also didn't like them off.. so I didn't want to argue with it.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post
Take them off!! I took mine off and we love it. This was my inspiration: http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_...e-kitchen.html

You do have to try and keep them quite neat though (I'm doing ok, not amazing on this).
That is an amazing kitchen! I love the orange color and the jars she had too!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

User Tag List