my kitchen: take cabinet doors off? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! I would love your input on this.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_4202-1.jpg

Here is our kitchen.. I love the space itself and I love the countertops, but as you can see the cabinet doors are hideous! We could paint them but it would require a LOT of work (they are not typical wood) and paint and right now we don't have the time/money for it. So, I figure my best option might be to take the doors off. We have bright, fun fiesta wear dishes which I love.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/IMG_4204.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/IMG_4206.jpg

I was thinking opening up the cabinets might make the space feel bigger too? But you've still got that awful wood showing. I also considered putting something on the BACK of the cabinets- like wallpaper type stuff that I saw on a decorating blog.

Anyways- off or on? My only issues with taking them off is the big cabinet it the corner is an awkward shape. I don't know what to put in there...

What do you think? THANK YOU SO MUCH!
dearmama22 is offline  
#2 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 PM
 
aratiaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would leave them on, since I would be more concerned about protecting the contents from dust and grease.
Are they melamine veneer? I've read that you can buy a special primer for melamine surfaces that makes painting them quite straightforward.
And FWIW, I think they're a bit dated but not really terrible - at least they're a neutral colour and in decent condition!
aratiaw is offline  
#3 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmm I had never really thought/worried about dust getting on them. I know tons of people that have open cabinets and eat off those dishes, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm playing around with the layout of the dishes.. I have a lot! Especially in that far left space above the microwave, I think it's pretty cluttered so I'm thinking about moving some of those pieces, maybe putting the cookbooks in there somehow too so they're not on top of the microwave?!

Anyone else?
dearmama22 is offline  
#4 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 PM
 
momct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would leave the doors on .I think it will just look jumbled and like your cabinet doors are missing.If you arrange things artistically ,you are going to lose functionality.Do you have the doors for the cabinet over the microwave?If so I would rehang them, or you could hang curtains on tension rods to enclose the space.The cabinets could be refaced and new doors installed when you had the time and money. In the meantime ,shift the focus elsewhere, hang some art work in colors that coordinate with your Fiestaware-put a few more pieces on display on the counter.Consider painting your walls one of your Fiesta colors.Bright table linens or brightly painted chairs are options.The cabinets will become a neutral background for your Fiesta kitchen.
momct is offline  
#5 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would leave the doors on. Is there any way to paint the wood? That might help, if the doors and the wood were the same color. Having the doors helps everything look cleaner and less cluttered to me.

Save up your pennies and get new cabinets one day.
Jodie is offline  
#6 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks everyone! I'm actually really surprised to hear you say keep them on! Everyone else I've talked to has said to get those ugly guys OFF!

Thanks for your input!
dearmama22 is offline  
#7 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momct View Post
I would leave the doors on .I think it will just look jumbled and like your cabinet doors are missing.If you arrange things artistically ,you are going to lose functionality.Do you have the doors for the cabinet over the microwave?If so I would rehang them, or you could hang curtains on tension rods to enclose the space.The cabinets could be refaced and new doors installed when you had the time and money. In the meantime ,shift the focus elsewhere, hang some art work in colors that coordinate with your Fiestaware-put a few more pieces on display on the counter.Consider painting your walls one of your Fiesta colors.Bright table linens or brightly painted chairs are options.The cabinets will become a neutral background for your Fiesta kitchen.
I tired panting the walls so many colors and nothing looked good. I don't like the light green it is now but it's the best I've found. We have an open floor plan so it also has to match the other rooms- gold/yellow in the family room (on the opposite wall) and a dark blueish color in the "eating area" right next to it.

I would have loved a bright red but it doesn't match well with the rest of the decor/colors
dearmama22 is offline  
#8 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
 
Drummer's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 11,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also say leave them on. I think it would look too cluttered or busy to have them off.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Drummer's Wife is offline  
#9 of 40 Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
 
bluebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely would leave them on. I am a big fan of open shelving but I prefer it in a bright, open space (no offense, it wouldn't look good in my kitchen, either). I think taking the doors off would make your kitchen looks smaller and more cramped. Plus, it looks like you have a lot of things in your cabinets and it would be hard to arrange it all both artistically and functionally.

I second the idea of painting the wood trim or looking into primer for the melamine. I don't think it would be as hard as you think. The doors aren't terrible, though, if you leave them as-is.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
bluebunny is offline  
#10 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 AM
 
momct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have photos of the other areas to show the wall colors and the relationship of the rooms to each other- where they meet, view from one space to the other?Perhaps you can use the existing yellow or blue in the kitchen also.
momct is offline  
#11 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebunny View Post
I definitely would leave them on. I am a big fan of open shelving but I prefer it in a bright, open space (no offense, it wouldn't look good in my kitchen, either). I think taking the doors off would make your kitchen looks smaller and more cramped. Plus, it looks like you have a lot of things in your cabinets and it would be hard to arrange it all both artistically and functionally.

I second the idea of painting the wood trim or looking into primer for the melamine. I don't think it would be as hard as you think. The doors aren't terrible, though, if you leave them as-is.

Its actually a very open space, the whole downstairs is open so the familyroom/kitchen/eating area is one big room.. if that makes sense.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon. Thanks!
dearmama22 is offline  
#12 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if this helps, here is one looking out from the kitchen- you can see part of the other rooms.

thank ya!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/IMG_4220.jpg

oh, also, here is what a couple of the shelves would look like if they were open. This is actually very functional, if not more so cause you don't have to open the door!

I put the decorative piece on the top because I can't reach up there any way

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/IMG_4222.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/IMG_4221.jpg
dearmama22 is offline  
#13 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 AM
 
Grower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why don't you take them off and live without them for awhile? It shouldn't be too difficult to carefully remove them. Just make sure you mark which cabinets each door goes with, and save the screws.
Grower is offline  
#14 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 AM
 
*green*faery*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, Ca
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would take them off. You dishes are colorful, but simple looking & I think it would look great

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
*green*faery* is offline  
#15 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 AM
 
Traci mom23boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I lived in a house with hideous cabinets I took the doors off and painted the insides white. I loved them! I love open shelving. I have all my pantry items in different jars on an antique postal cabinet sitting on my counter.

Your dishes are lovely (i have fiestaware too). I think it would look great. The insides of your cabinets look good so, you wouldn't even have to paint.

You could add baskets for small items that may look cluttered. I have gathered mismatched baskets and painted them one color (using spray paint) for a cohesive look.

Have fun!

I just looked at your pics again. I would leave the bottom doors on and just remove the upper doors. I think it would brighten up the kitchen without looking cluttered.

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

Traci mom23boys is offline  
#16 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci mom23boys View Post
When I lived in a house with hideous cabinets I took the doors off and painted the insides white. I loved them! I love open shelving. I have all my pantry items in different jars on an antique postal cabinet sitting on my counter.

Your dishes are lovely (i have fiestaware too). I think it would look great. The insides of your cabinets look good so, you wouldn't even have to paint.

You could add baskets for small items that may look cluttered. I have gathered mismatched baskets and painted them one color (using spray paint) for a cohesive look.

Have fun!

I just looked at your pics again. I would leave the bottom doors on and just remove the upper doors. I think it would brighten up the kitchen without looking cluttered.
awesome, great, thank you!!
dearmama22 is offline  
#17 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 AM
 
MisaGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would take the upper cabinet doors off. You don't have too much stuff in your cabinets and your dishes are fun colors. I think it warms up the kitchen to see less white and more color.

If you decide to paint the doors you'd have to take them down anyway. If you live with them down for a little while you can just put them back up if you decide you miss your doors. A totally reversible quick, change so go for it. You know what they look like on, see what they look like off.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
MisaGoat is offline  
#18 of 40 Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM
 
Usually Curious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Red looks great w/gold and blue. Right now I am sitting in my gold living room looking at my red breakfast room wall. Make sure it's a deep, dark red, like an old barn.

ETA - yeah, upper doors off w/artistically arranged Fiesta Ware. You could put nice baskets above the microwave.
Usually Curious is online now  
#19 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM
 
jackson'smama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i agree with taking off the top doors. the problem with all-over taking them down would be what to do with your drawers.
i agree with PP who suggested baskets for stuff that doesn't match/plastic/storage container type stuff.
IMO, things get dusty if they sit in a closed cabinet too long, so i wouldn't worry about things getting dirty. if you don't use it frequently, just clean it every now and then
i don't think you need to put anything inside the cabinets - the fiesta pops against the dark wood as it is (save your money and energy for when you're ready to do something more advanced with these cabinets, like refacing them).
show us when you're finished!
jackson'smama is offline  
#20 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take them off! I agree with the suggestion to just take the top ones off, as this is what I did with my kitchen cabinets.

I love your idea of adding a wallpaper backing too!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
#21 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
 
thriftyqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Peace Garden State
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you could get away with it (on the top cabinets only) if you arrange the cabinets really nice and make sure that the different colors of dishes are stacked together so they don't look cluttered and disorganized. If you have four colors of plates make sure when they are stacked that you stacked them with all the orange, then all the yellow, then all the green....Does that make sense?

Basically, if you play around with it, you could make it look cute! Maybe paint the insides of the cabinets to compliment the dishes, if you can.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com
 

thriftyqueen is offline  
#22 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
 
AFWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you thought about removing the doors and trying to put up drapes in a simple fabric you like?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
AFWife is offline  
#23 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
 
number572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: i see rivers, mountains & you
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd leave them on too... but either way, on or off, I would definitely prime and paint the wood white. In my eyes that would be the best way to open things up like you want.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
number572 is offline  
#24 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
 
goddessjulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NW GA, USA
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, is your kitchen always that clean??

I have removed the upper cabinet doors in 2 kitchens now, so I'm definitely a fan of taking them off! and I don't even have cute dishes I've always left the lower ones on. waaay too messy, and too inviting for the littles I store glasses upside down to avoid dust getting in them... although I don't do that with mugs, so I'm not sure why I bother things don't seem to get particularly dusty if they are getting used regularly (and if they don't get used, why keep them??).

post pix when you're done!

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

goddessjulia is offline  
#25 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftyqueen View Post
I think you could get away with it (on the top cabinets only) if you arrange the cabinets really nice and make sure that the different colors of dishes are stacked together so they don't look cluttered and disorganized. If you have four colors of plates make sure when they are stacked that you stacked them with all the orange, then all the yellow, then all the green....Does that make sense?

Basically, if you play around with it, you could make it look cute! Maybe paint the insides of the cabinets to compliment the dishes, if you can.
oooh I would definitely have all the colors mixed together. I think it looks better that way personally I also don't want to have to stress that much about what order plates are in when putting them away and using them, you know?
dearmama22 is offline  
#26 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjulia View Post
wow, is your kitchen always that clean??

I have removed the upper cabinet doors in 2 kitchens now, so I'm definitely a fan of taking them off! and I don't even have cute dishes I've always left the lower ones on. waaay too messy, and too inviting for the littles I store glasses upside down to avoid dust getting in them... although I don't do that with mugs, so I'm not sure why I bother things don't seem to get particularly dusty if they are getting used regularly (and if they don't get used, why keep them??).

post pix when you're done!
Oh days I don't cook it is!
dearmama22 is offline  
#27 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Have you thought about removing the doors and trying to put up drapes in a simple fabric you like?
HOnestly, I really don't like the look of drapes
dearmama22 is offline  
#28 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
 
justmeandmybrood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it was my kitchen, I would leave them on...for a couple reasons - dust and things might look too busy and more cluttered for my taste. It sounds like you already have made up your mind though, lol, so take those puppies off an enjoy your kitchen
justmeandmybrood is offline  
#29 of 40 Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i might actually take a page off of the fiesta wear itself.

so, the color of the kitchen wall could be a more saturated version of the orangey-red of the fiesta wear, since the blue and the yellow seem to have taken it's cue from the blue and yellow of those dishes. so, why not just go with that orange/red color for the kitchen?

i would also remove the top shelves, and then do some kind of painting inside (white would look great, if it matches the bottom doors), so that the wear 'pops' and it also looks crisp and clean.

and, it will force you to stay organized.
accountclosed3 is offline  
#30 of 40 Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
 
mommaof3boz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just make sure if you do remove the doors to get wood fill and fill the holes where the hinges were. Have you considered taking down the upper cabinets totally and putting up stainless steel or white shelves?
mommaof3boz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off