IKEA Expedit bookcase - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to buy one of these in white, and when I went to Ikea a couple of months ago (we don't have an Ikea in my city or province!), I wasn't happy with the colour of the white in the store - it looked more off-white to me and because I have a lot of pure white woodwork in the room I was going to put it, I wasn't sure it would look good. But whenever I look at pictures online it looks proper white! And I see it in rooms with lots of other white and it looks fine - surely not all the other white has been painted to match this one bookcase?!

So I guess my question is, if you have one of these in white, do you think it's more of a pure white or an off-white? I'm wondering if the lights in the store just throw off the colour? Or if you think it is off-white, do you think it looks OK with other whites in the room?

Obviously getting the colour right is *vital* before I can think of using it to organize my junk!

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 PM

Might be the lights in the store... Our house has a lot of white trim too. I have a small white (4 cube) expedit downstairs for DS' toys and it matches just fine.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#3 of 12 Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM

We got one for DD's room because it was, indeed, pure white and easy to mix with others. It is also one of the best looking and most sturdy Ikea pieces that we have ever bought. I would like to get another piece for her room.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#4 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Im going to have to disagree with PP's Ikea has two versions of 'white'. The expedits are an off-white/very light cream. We love ikea furniture because all our other furniture is also this colour and ikea has a lot of other items in this antique white which it matches with perfectly. That said it is light enough to get away with next to other white furniture, but its not a pure white. To test it just hold up a piece of white paper next to it.
#5 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Oh no! Differing opinions! What to do, what to do? A bit of difference is fine, but... see *this* is why I don't get any actual organizing and decluttering done, heh...
#6 of 12 Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Can you take a piece of the white furniture in your house (like the door of a cabinet or a small drawer) to take to IKEA to compare? That is going to tell you exactly what you want to know.

They do have decent return policy I believe. You could buy it and then return it if really bothers your.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#7 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

DIY:

http://www.knock-offwood.com has plans (more like recipes) for DIY versions, that you can paint the *exact* white that you have in your home.

my assistant teachers are helping me make some so that we have proper cubbies and all kinds of good stuff for the yoga studio.
#8 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Climbergirl - no trips to Ikea in my near future - the closest one is about 1200km away! I have to get it shipped, and wouldn't want to pay for it to be returned either.

Zoebird - thanks for the link! That's definitely an idea to consider though we aren't very handy. But there's a 'pine guy' that makes whatever you want that works at a local flea market and he'd probably be able to do it pretty cheaply. I really want this sorted quickly though - I'm pregnant and am motivated to organize before baby comes!

I had a look at the woodwork in my living room again and maybe I'm not as picky as I thought, heh. There is a mix in there of whites, for sure. I'm still worried that the Expedit white is more off than any of the other whites, but we might be able to get away with it! I just find it hard to believe that all the houses that have Expedit white somehow have matched their whites to this piece of furniture! I am surely overthinking this???
#9 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 PM

I reckon you will be able to get away with it, just dont sit the piece next to the other white furniture as it will make it noticeable. Just put it in a different corner of the room.
#10 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM

If you're interested in another option.... we just bought a Martha Stewart bookcase from Home Depot. There are really great! Good price, not bad quality and the white is crisp white!
We really wanted the Ikea Expedit bookcases for our home, but like you, none in my city! You can also buy little fabric "drawers" for them, nice colours, inexpensive too ($7).

HTH!

Link!
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
#11 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Shenjall - that's so funny, because we were looking at that as an option! I wasn't sure if it was pure white or not though because it's not set up in my Home Depot. The other thing I wasn't sure about is the size of the cubes - they are smaller than the Expedit and I just have it in my head that the bigger cubes would be more useful for the stuff I want to store there. If I wasn't ordering other stuff from Ikea I think I would def go with Home Depot - silly to have a special order from Ikea for the Expedit when I can get something close enough to it down the street. I do need to check on shipping costs - that might make my mind up for me too!!
#12 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 11:26 AM

That is funny!

They are smaller, true. They work well in my kids rooms. I can fit quite a few books in each little "cubby". I should take a picture and show you how packed it is and how it compares to size. Now, if I can only figure out how to post it, lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page