selling stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...is there anywhere to sell stuff besides Ebay? I'm just not into all those fees but at the same time have some quality clothing, hand bags, books and kids stuff that I would prefer to get a little profit from.

I could also have a yard sale, but we live in a fairly urban area and I'm not sure who would stop. I think that people with cars are more likely to haul stuff home? I'd hate to set up a million things and have like 3 people come because I'm pretty lazy.

So what can I do? Do people really buy things off Craigslist? Are there similar websites like Ebay I can try out?

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#2 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 PM

I'd try Craig's list. I've had a lot of luck there but I'm always really careful...never let anyone in my house and I don't go into anyone else's house.
#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 PM

Well if you are in an urban area I think a yard sale would go over well -- lots of foot traffic, which is the opposite problem we have! Especially if you can collect some shopping bags for people to carry things home, I think you could sell quite a bit of things like clothes etc. If people regularly walk around to do their shopping anyway then what's the difference if they stop at a store or stop at your house? They'd still have to lug things home by foot!

And yes, people really do buy things off Craigslist, I made $160 last month selling just random cheap things we had laying around. But buyers do want a deal so you have to price accordingly. Also you could bring things to a consignment store. Or, you could set up a yard sale with neighbors, and places like churches & non-profits often have huge yard sales where they'll let you sell your stuff if you pay them $10 to set up a table.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM

I sell my stuff on Craigslist. Like a PP said, people are looking for deals (kind of like at a garage sale) so high-priced items don't tend to sell fast. As for safety, I make sure the pick-up time is when my husband is home and bring the item out to the front porch so we don't have to bring a stranger inside. I sell old books on Amazon.com - works great.

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 PM

I had great success with a yard sale just last weekend. more ppl = more sales! unless you're trying to sell furniture I'm sure you'd move a lot of stuff, and even with large items, if someone wants it they'll buy it and find a way to get it home. good luck!

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page