Furniture that will be perfect in the future but not now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dilemma: What to do with furniture that will be perfect in a future home but is cluttering up the current one?

I have a beautiful heirloom quality wooden rocking chair that I used with Ladybug since I had no glider. We didn't have space for it then so I just stuck it in the middle of our small living room in front of the couch (think where the coffee table should be). Now that she's grown a bit and I don't rock her to sleep any more the chair in the middle of the room thing isn't working. She needs space to run around and it prevents access to the couch for us. I'd love to have it for our future home, it is so lovely and one of the few pieces of nice furniture we own. Money will always be tight and I don't know if I will have another yard sale find like this one. I know exactly where I'll want it in the future home: right in front of the wood stove! But at the moment, there's no space for it!

I may be able to make some space for it, though it doesn't really look "nice" anywhere even though it would be more out of the way than in the middle of the living room. And yet part of me is thinking I should just let it go! But it's so hard!!!

What would you do?
#2 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 PM

I would keep it. Sounds like it is not easily replaced and you love it.

Even at 4, we still use our glider for book time.
#3 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM

I would also keep it - if it would sadden you as much as it sounds, it is not worth it to get rid of it. We have a few pieces of flea market finds from our time overseas - great memories, wonderful pieces...but were crowding us out of one of our former homes. However, now we are SO happy we kept them - we are welcoming our "bonus" baby, whose room will need these pieces...once we move in April (baby due in 6 weeks, lol)!

Do you have any room in your bdrm maybe to just put it in the corner? I can see how it would drive you crazy - I like open spaces for play in the LR...I hope you are able to find a way to make it work for you!
#4 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM

If you can't put it in some random corner, maybe you could do something creative with it -- like get some fabric & temporarily turn it into a fort for your DD to play in, or store her toys on/under it somehow in a way that looks nice (I can picture it in my head but can't explain it )

I would also google rocking chairs & see how readily availble something like your chair would be. I find I held onto things 'for my future home' for way too long & most were much more replacable than I thought... but if you really love it, then keep it, find a way to make it work! You could get rid of the couch & just have the rocking chair & a small loveseat or recliner...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
it sounds like you need to find a space for the chair in a bedroom. Either your BR or the childs room. If there isnt room then it wasn't meant to be. I've let 'perfect' furniture go in the past and while it was sad for the moment the space gained was worth the trade off. When I've needed furniture its always found its way to me.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Banned

i would also keep it, and keep it well (properly) stored.
#7 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM

is there someone (family or close friend) who would be happy to borrow it for a few years?
#8 of 8 Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
is there someone (family or close friend) who would be happy to borrow it for a few years?
This is what we did when we moved into our last, super-tiny house. We didn't have space for our beautiful 2 year old dining set, so we lent it to my aunt for the 2 years that we lived there since she'd just gotten her own post divorce apartment.

We now live in a much larger house and I am SO glad we found someone to love it while we couldn't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page