paper clutter, how long to keep bank statements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going through my filebox yesterday and I was wondering how long to keep my paper bank statements? Also is there any reason to keep the new account signature forms etc? Now that so many things are electronic I'm wondering if I can't just keep a few months at a time and shred the rest.

thanks!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

no one? are you completely paperless? do you keep 3-4 months worth? a year?

should I call my bank ?

#3 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about keeping them, you can always print them online or ask the bank for a copy.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 PM

I asked them to stop sending them since I just shred them right away anyhow. I can access all of that information online so I don't need to waste paper and storage space on the printed statements.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#5 of 12 Old 08-21-2010, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You still get paper statments? I went 100% electronic about 4 years ago and love it. The only paper I get are a few odd tax forms but everything else is totally electronic. I LOVE IT, it totally cuts down on the mail I have to deal with. I can access what I need 24/7 via my banks website and the bank stores it for me. I can print something if I should need it (i have not needed anything in years) and since I file taxes electronically... its just 'magic'. LOL

I also get utility, credit card, and other bills sent via e-statements as well. My life is much simplier that way. I also moved my payment dates to all the same day so I know that on xx/xx I need to pay everything!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

awesome, I shredded nearly my entire file! It felt great, and the girls enjoyed helping.

I have gone paperless on a lot of things, I may switch over on the bank statements too.

So much lighter... can't wait for another trip to the recycling center!

#7 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
You still get paper statments? I went 100% electronic about 4 years ago and love it. The only paper I get are a few odd tax forms but everything else is totally electronic. I LOVE IT, it totally cuts down on the mail I have to deal with. I can access what I need 24/7 via my banks website and the bank stores it for me. I can print something if I should need it (i have not needed anything in years) and since I file taxes electronically... its just 'magic'. LOL

I also get utility, credit card, and other bills sent via e-statements as well. My life is much simplier that way. I also moved my payment dates to all the same day so I know that on xx/xx I need to pay everything!
You totally rock! I would love to do the date changing! How did you pick the day? Arbitrarily?

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#8 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 PM

I wouldn't worry about keeping them!You can always ask for another copy if need be! But paperless is so much better!

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..Sadly miss my dearest son T.J that passed 1/19/2014 forever in my heart!
#9 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Paperless here too. So much easier!
#10 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Most of our bank statements are paperless. I do keep our joint checking account with a paper statement due to the volume of activity (reconciling is more challenging with paperless if the account volume is high).

From a recent experience, if you plan to refinance your mortgage or apply for a new loan, keep any final statements for 3-4 months. We had to go round and round with Ally Bank and they never did come through. I had to have that account removed from the qualifying accounts list for the loan in order to move forward with the re-fi. It was always a paperless account, which worked fine until we needed a copy showing it was closed. Getting a copy of a statement on a closed account was just impossible for them to figure out (despite three phone calls and going up ladder/chain of command). Getting a copy of an active account is not an issue, but financial institutions can be really picky about exactly how they are printed.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#11 of 12 Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama View Post
You totally rock! I would love to do the date changing! How did you pick the day? Arbitrarily?
I picked a date that worked for me based on pay dates and when I knew I would have $ available ect. For example the 1st just doesnt work because I would need to send the bill pays on the 29th or 30th. (one business day processing from my bank to them)

It took a while to get some bills to change the dates but more and more are coming around to being 'customer friendly' DUH... and its much easier this way.

My life is easier, I have less mail sitting around with e-statements, and things don't get forgotten about this way.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#12 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I wish we had regular income to be able to do things like auto bill pay

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page