Paint color recommendation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas~
I want to paint the walls in our playroom. They are currently beige and I'd love a new color. The problem is, the carpet is sage green. It is a beautiful color of carpet, but I just can't figure out what my wall color options are. (Now wishing we had chosen a neutral carpet...learn from my mistake. )

What color would you paint the walls?

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#2 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Pale yellow or a pale orange? I think that would brighten the walls and compliment the carpet!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM

I think it is important that it be rather muted, like a yellow should be a mellow honey yellow instead of lemon for instance. That helps harmonize with sage which is a muted green.

I would tend to go toward the pinks, anything from a peachy pink, to a soft violet. What made me think of this was the types of sage and other plants with the gray-green leaves that have pink to violet tones in their flowers. Also green and pink are complementary colors.

Again, try to find something muted though, like a violet that is almost a soft brown or a pink that is like soft sand.

Have fun! I don't think you need to regret the sage carpet--it's just tricky but you will end up with something lovely.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#4 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM

How about some fun stripes and you could do alternating stripes of sage (the carpet color), a periwinkle blue, pink, buttery yellow. You could make it really fun by doing different thicknesses of stripes. I would take some time to do it right, but it would be really fun in a play room.

Like this but with more fun kid colors:
http://mobcreative.ca/images/stripes.jpg

If you didn't want to do all the walls like this, you could pick a color from your stripes to do as a solid on some of the other walls. Maybe just do an accent wall of stripes.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#5 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM

I immediately thought lavender. Not purple, but a muted earthly lavender. I think those two colors are well suited to each other. I'd try to find a few pictures of lavender plants and see what the sage/lavender look like together in nature.

lather, rinse, repeat
#6 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 PM

I think I would do a solid color on two or three walls and stripes on the other wall(s). You could do different shades of the same color or pick a few different colors that would look nice together. I think that would be fun for a playroom and give you more flexibility.

I like the second pic on this page. http://www.bhg.com/decorating/paint/...tripes/?page=4

ETA: somehow I missed the post above until after I posted this, but I'm glad someone else likes the stripe idea too!
#7 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Maybe mocha color with white trim to brighten it up?
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/v/vspf...2008MAR4-1.jpg

Or an eggplant color would look beautiful with the sage.
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/v/vspf...2008MAR1-1.jpg

Lavendar as the pp's suggested:
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/v/vspf...-0710GMA-1.jpg

Or muted but more colorful, something on this idea:
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/v/vspf...o_pbs08F-1.jpg

Check out the color palettes page & just think of the sage as another paint color (http://www.myperfectcolor.com/SearchResults.asp) I was trying to find a better color palette tool 'cause I'm also looking at paint colors, but that's the best I found so far.

Oooo here try this one: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 10 Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 PM

I love gray walls! Our bedroom is dark gray with a sagey green rug and it looks awesome. Don't know if you want to stay neutral or not though. Our room is "Dark Granite" by Behr.

Alissa: married to dh since 05/2006 and mama to Solomon (08/2009) and Ezra (04/2012).

#9 of 10 Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Banned

a steiner answer (lol):

lazure painting (or close) in blues to be the sky, the green will be the grass, and there you have it.

now, lazure takes a bit of time (days sometimes), and it is it's own technique with it's own special brushes, workshops, ways of mixing the paints (stockmar watercolor pigments put into an acrylic matte medium with an addition of a thinner so that it dries slowly and can be applied in thin layers), and is just overwhelming to even think about.

but, you can do "faux-lazure" which a friend of mine and I did in her yoga room. essentially, we just got very large, soft paint brushes (the largest we could find), and then got regular room paints in the same hue value (i think it was second above the white-color one on one of those paint thingies that show from light to dark paint options), in the colors that she wanted. she wanted the room to be blues and violets like just after the sun went down (twilight), and so we got a bunch of those (probably 4-6 colors).

we painted the whole room a base coat of a light blue, and then began to add (as quickly as possible since it would dry), layers of the other paint colors. we would just move it and layer it on and there it went and it was lovely. i would go with sunny blues and perhaps some whispy whites for clouds, and some darker blues now and again, and perhaps a bit of yellow in a given corner for the sun.

i don't know. something fun and natural.
#10 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest birds View Post
I think it is important that it be rather muted, like a yellow should be a mellow honey yellow instead of lemon for instance. That helps harmonize with sage which is a muted green.
I agree with this! I have a sage green/pale yellow with white trim paint theme in my house and I love it. (We're selling our house and the realtor and home stager said we don't have to repaint because it's a "happy combo"!)Just make sure if you choose a light color that you get scrubbable paint for a playroom. Kelly Moore even has a nice flat scrubbable (do you double the "b" in that word?! ). It could look even prettier with nice white molding! Enjoy your pretty carpet!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page