Do you paint the inside of your closets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When painting a bedroom, bathroom, foyer or any place that has a closet, do you paint the closet the same color or do you paint it something different or leave it the color it was? Our bedroom is a pale peachy color and we have paint left over to do our individual closets in our bedroom that are your basic off white/cream color. Just a pain to move all of the clothes out, but might be worth it? To make it feel complete?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 20 Old 08-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I paint all closets that really bright white color. It helps reflect the light around.
#3 of 20 Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Depends on the room....

Our master bedroom is large and receives a lot of natural light and the closet is the entire length of the wall with sliding doors. The side walls of the closet are the same walls as our bedroom, so it was natural to keep on painting. The back wall of the closet could be anything since it is hardly seen, but we already had emptied the closet so why not paint it the same. It looks fantastic! (We have a medium-dark blue violet on all the walls and "ultra pure white" trim and ceiling....with a very large West-facing window, so it doesn't look dark at all.)

In our DD's bedroom, her closet is basically a 2x3 annex with a narrow door. Her bedroom walls are grass green on the bottom and sky blue on top. There was no reason to continue it into the tiny closet. I painted her closet bright white top to bottom and that is perfect for such a tiny space. She is 9 years old now and we are discussing adding purple flowers to her closet walls for fun.

Our family office has a sliding doors type closet that isn't the whole wall. Those doors are often open, so we painted the closet the same as the room (medium red-violet) with "ultra pure white" trim and ceiling. We have a custom shelving unit (Ikea Ivar) in that closet and it is also "ultra pure white" along with the regular rod and shelf and the doors. With all that white, it is easy to see anything in that closet. The color is mostly seen on the sides and up high in the back.

Our linen closet is all white, but it is more like a cupboard than a closet.

Our living room closet is the same as the living room, which is a pale peachy-cream color. If we had painted the living room anything even just slightly darker, I would have painted that closet ultra pure white because it has no light source and is located such that it receives no natural light whatsoever.

Our project room (extra room on main level) has bright blue walls with ultra pure white trim and ceiling and too many darn doors to be a useful room. That closet is our only storage closet and goes under the stairs. It is an odd space and I'm not sure if it even has any regular paint on the walls. I may have painted the main closet portion when I originally painted the room, in which case it would be a bright white (same as DD's closet, not the ultra pure white). The other portion of the closet has had work done to the walls and I think just has primer at this point. It was the end of an intense timeframe after a major flood and I told the painters to just do whatever they wanted that would match the existing color good enough. It is a closet and is hardly seen by anyone except us and we don't care. It was the only space in the flood zone that I didn't know the color on the walls or have a paint sample or anything to go on. The original color was Swiss Coffee (builder boring off-white), but who knows by this point.....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 20 Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM

We have white closets. I like not repainting them each time I redecorate, the honestly only need to be done once every 20 years or so.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#5 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM

I like our closets to be bright and fresh. They're all painted (or going to be) with Sherwin Williams' "Creamy."
It's my absolute favorite off-white and I use it everywhere; all of the trim, the foyer, the faux wainscoting in the dining room, most ceilings, etc.
#6 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, I don't see the point. I guess if I had some huge, fancy walk in closet I might, but I just have regular ol' closets
#7 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM

I painted the inside of the kids' closets because ds doesn't have any closet doors and dds have sheer curtains as doors, so the inside of the closet is still part of the room. Our closet and the hallway closets have doors, so I've just left them white.
#8 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Oh heck yes! It makes me smile.
#9 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 AM

I paint all closets that really bright white color!Makes i look bigger and cleaner!

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..Sadly miss my dearest son T.J that passed 1/19/2014 forever in my heart!
#10 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmmm... now I wonder if I should paint them the same peachy color as our room or paint them a nice bright white or a creamy off white as bezark mentioned?

One closet is a walk-in (that would be mine ) and DH's is a sliding door closet.

#11 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 AM

I'd do his the same as the room and see how you like it. Then, decide on yours.... Do you have a good light source in the walk-in? What color is the trim in your bedroom?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#12 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I painted all the closets here to match the room, but I wish I'd painted them white. Now I am thinking of repainting some of the rooms and I will have to repaint the closets too, though they don't need it.
#13 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 PM

I like to paint them white so that the clothing colours look "right". I like to grab and go, so this eliminates some guesswork. I also like that it's brighter.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#14 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I'd do his the same as the room and see how you like it. Then, decide on yours.... Do you have a good light source in the walk-in? What color is the trim in your bedroom?
Trim throughout the house is white, which I just love. It makes the colors on the walls much more crisp and clean that's why I'm not sure if pure white closets would be the way to go. Did I just answer my own question?

#15 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM

I like to paint them a coordinating color - makes a nice pop of color when you open the door.

Plus, white shows the dirt and marks more.
#16 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
I like to paint them a coordinating color - makes a nice pop of color when you open the door.

Plus, white shows the dirt and marks more.
Hmmmm, that's an idea. I just painted the bathroom 'frozen pond' which is a light bluish/gray color - very 'spa like' color. And the closets are located in the hall to the master bath....

#17 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
Trim throughout the house is white, which I just love. It makes the colors on the walls much more crisp and clean that's why I'm not sure if pure white closets would be the way to go. Did I just answer my own question?
Only two of our closets are white and one of them is about to have purple flowers all over it, so yes I hear what you are saying. I do like keeping the trim white, also. A closet is easy enough to repaint if you change your mind...

#18 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Only two of our closets are white and one of them is about to have purple flowers all over it, so yes I hear what you are saying. I do like keeping the trim white, also. A closet is easy enough to repaint if you change your mind...
True. I've got a little project on my hands for this coming weekend.

#19 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 PM

I never thought of not painting the closets to match the room... I suppose that my parents had white closets, now that I think about it.

I agree that white shows dirt and marks.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#20 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM

Yep, painted white regardless of the colour of the room. It's bright, clean and doesn't 'interfere' with the colour of the clothes when I look at them to pick them out.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page