selling house "as is" what can help? nevermind. we're finishing renovations- thanks for your help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
uuugh, I thought we were going to do a complete bath remodel (one is almost finished) and kitchen remodel and do some work on the patio...

someone is coming this week to look at the house as is, anything that I can do to help?

I've really been working on the clutter, but of course there is always more!

Do you have any really QUICK easy suggestions after looking at these pictures?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#2 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM

The best things to do are declutter as best as possible and make sure everything is sparkling clean. If you can touch up paint (if you have the colors to do so), I would suggest that.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

i'm with thirfty here.

if a person knows that you are in reno, then i wouldn't worry about in-process stuff. just tidy it up as best you can, and don't worry about the rest.

good luck! overall, it looks great. I could easily go in and see what work needed to be done. it doesn't look cluttered to me, but it could help to be even more spare.
#4 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM

our realtor advised us to only put money into things that could affect inspections, like rotted wood, mold/mildew, roof leaks. ours had a roof leak but would have been too expensive for us to repair for the sale, so he advised for things like that, to just be up front and clear so that the inspection shows that as already listed as a problem. he said to not even bother repairing nail holes in the walls or paint touch ups - but, like other pp's, i touched up paint anyway b'c i think people can get caught up in that type of thing. we were already moved out when we sold but a big + is to rent a storage unit and move almost all of your personal things to storage, especially things like family photos, etc. and that if you have pets, put the cat box and food dishes outside whenever you know that someone is coming to look. if i think of anything else our realtor told us i'll post it later.

good luck on selling quickly and for a fair price!

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#5 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 PM

I'd touch up paint if possible, also paint over the flowers on the kitchen cabinet & any other decor that buyers would either love or hate.

The bathroom would scare me lol... only because parts of my house look like that (and have for a couple years now!) If you could just throw some paint on the walls (even if they aren't properly sanded etc.) & somehow cover up the hole in the tub area, that might go a long way, but I'm sure that's a lot of work too!

Looks like a beautiful house & I hope you sell quickly!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
OY! so may little projects there as well as BIG projects...
I would finish as many of the little things as you can. Just off the top of my head , finish the pink door frame in the kids room, put the drawers in the kitchen, get the carset in the car, doors on the closets(master?), stuff like that goes ALONG way in making the house look better.

Getting some solid white or cream shower curtains should help tone down the bathroom and make it more neutral.

In most housing markets its still a buyers market so you need to be as finished and polished as you can be even if going 'as is'

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 05:26 AM

we just sold our home... the single best thing we did was painting the kitchen cabinets and bathroom walls to a neutral color. it freshened everything up.

also- get new toilet seats. buyers really do look at that stuff. so weird, I figured people would just plan on getting those things for themselves... but apparently they want things to look new.

one tip that I have is maybe get a curtain rod and some curtains for over your closets- we did that and we got a lot of comments on how much people liked it. we scaled WAAAYYYY down on clutter and still got feedbak that there were too many personal items out.... people are very picky.

but in the end someone came along and bpught it as is...

good luck!!!!

nak

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#8 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 AM

You caught me in a rambling mood, sorry this got so long!!!

I know that we get used to our own home and stop 'seeing' things that are right in front of us so want me to go through and list things that really stand out to me?

In the kitchen: put away the folding dish rack (just to have more open counter space), maybe take away a couple knives (maybe it looks fine, but I'm just not a fan of those magnetic strips! ). Clear off the pass through/shelf area to open up the space. Don't just put the items on the counter, put some away. A quick coat of white paint on cabinets would make the kitchen look more uniform/bigger instead of chopping up the space. Move the boxes sitting on the floor at end of counter. (makes it look more crowded and screams "this house is too small/I don't have enough space"

The shelves over the computer frighten me a little. They look very high and full and heavy.

That shot of the hallway (?) outside your bedroom (?), clean that vent thing. I have no idea what it is, but it looks like it could use a scrubbing. If it won't come clean, think about a quick coat of paint. Maybe try and fold the towels so they don't hang off the shelf as much (that's just me being picky feeling it's another subtle "this house is too small" message being sent out.

I agree with previous poster about putting up curtains on closets (especially in your bedroom). It's better to have clean, clear spaces to make things look roomier so I would pile all the little things you have laying around into boxes and stack on the closet shelf in your bedroom. (Personally I would think "wow! Look how much stuff you can shove into this closet! Just make sure things are in boxes and not in danger of falling down!)

Ok, I have a small house, under 1000 sq ft, so I'm used to small houses. After looking at pictures, I feel like your house is really small. It took two passes through to realize you have no couch or dining room table. Sort of major things that define a space and not having them gives this odd, unsettled feeling... I'm not saying to go out and buy a couch, but maybe move furniture around a little? It seems like you have a lot of small pieces which makes the space look more crowded.

One last little tip, in the bathroom? You know that wall that's half bare, half wallpapered? Take down the framed photo. If you're in the middle of renovations, you don't have framed photos on the wall... that makes it look like you've given up.

Overall I think it's a great house and has potential! I wouldn't worry about the fact that you're in the middle of renovations, be up front about it. You could even make suggestions on ways to improve the house. When we first saw our house, it had some glaring 'omg, I can't live with that' issues. (It was pretty bad). I didn't like the bathroom AT ALL and the previous owner mentioned that she had always planned on moving it to another room and opening up the area where it was now. That got my mind working on possibilities instead of focusing on the negative. And yes, we did move the bathroom to where she suggested! The whole main floor flows much better, I love it!

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#9 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 AM

Clear the kitchen countertops. Use the dishwasher instead of the dishrack. Replace the kitchen drawers and touch up paint on the cabinets. I would clear everything off the shelves by the computer or just get rid of them completely. Clean the air intake grill in the hall. Finish painting doorframe in little girl's room. Doors or curtains to cover the closets make rooms look neater. Cabinets over washer and dryer would look nice painted white. A fresh coat of paint on the front door makes a good impression. Declutter, declutter, declutter. Clear table tops and flat surfaces as much as possible. The kiddie chairs/tables etc on the bedroom floor could be put away. Neutral shower curtains. Put away any personal photos. After the quick fixes, the bathroom would be my top priority. Hope that helps!
#10 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 AM

It's my experience that most people are not visionaries when it comes to looking at the potential in a house. I think you need to give people as much clear space to envision themselves in your house as possible. To me, that would mean clearing out the main rooms of all clutter. What springs to mind are the shelving that are packed full and the many pieces of furniture. Your house has lots of possibilities but they are weighed down by the clutter in the living area.
Have you looked into getting a storage unit? They aren't that expensive, especially short-term. I priced PODS online and they are about $150 for a month. I don't think that's a bad price if it gets you to sell your house that much quicker. I would suggest packing up EVERYTHING that is not completely ESSENTIAL to your day-to-day living. Put all of it (including excess furniture) in storage. I think this is far more important than painting.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#11 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 AM

I would put as many things as possible out of view. You have a lot of things (nice things of course) but a lot of people have trouble seeing past your things. You want to make it look as blank canvas as possible.

Then the one thing I noticed were the cabinets in the kitchen. I would take cloth and make some simple curtains to cover up the holes.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#12 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
OY! so may little projects there as well as BIG projects...
I would finish as many of the little things as you can. Just off the top of my head , finish the pink door frame in the kids room, put the drawers in the kitchen, get the carset in the car, doors on the closets(master?), stuff like that goes ALONG way in making the house look better.

Getting some solid white or cream shower curtains should help tone down the bathroom and make it more neutral.

In most housing markets its still a buyers market so you need to be as finished and polished as you can be even if going 'as is'

great suggestions, I wish we could do them. My husband is 1800 miles away, I'm busy with two small children. I am limited on what I am able to do by myself. The trim in the girls room is cracked (from when we did the flooring) and needs to be replaced before painting. We have that piece, I will have my husband put it up when he comes for 5 days only before leaving and I'll paint it.

We do not have a car. If you can figure out how I can get 2 car seats and a booster seat into an F-350 single cab and still be able to drive that would be great!

The kitchen drawers were 20+ years old and smashed to smithereens, after having been glued and nailed for as long as it would go.

I guess I didn't explain myself too well. We are in the middle of renovations. We have the master bath to finish (basically down to two lighting fixtures/paint/mirror/trim/shelf and paint). We need to completely gut and redo the main bath like we did the other, it'll just be a walk in shower, commode and sink... updated fixtures etc. Then complete on kitchen- all new cabinets (utility room too) new counter tops, new stove and dishwasher. A couple of closet doors, a new fireplace mantle, tile on the patio and paint all over the interior.

I've started the process with my Realor to get things going since we hope to have this completed in 4-6weeks... she was showing other clients around and thought this condo might be a good match for them (they are looking for investment property and like to do things themselves).

I'm looking for something I can do RIGHT NOW alone given this situation (we're not even listed yet) to help. If they don't offer a certain number we have in mind, we're finishing the repairs as planned and moving on.

Does that help clarify?

#13 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

HeatherAtHome- the Realtor posted these pictures on her flickr, I send them to her via email, she left out the shot with the dining room table... it's between the kitchen and the patio before the hallway... I'll email her.

They are coming to look in person as well.

*we're going ahead with renovations, they want duplexes, not condos or something*

#14 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Some of the countertops look really decluttered - could you make the rest of your place look like that? I would take down all of those shelves with your crafting stuff in them, store the broken cello, plastic bins, all baskets etc.

Create as much floor space as possible to make the space seem larger. With all that clutter it seems smaller than it really is.

I wouldn't bother with retouching anything because anyone who buys your place as is knows that they will be doing some work. You just need to show it has good bones.

i would get rid of everything you can, even hire a moving company to collect your stuff and store it for you if you can't drive. Or is there a garage/storage space where you could store stuff?

The kids will be able to survive without some of their stuff too - just leave out the kitchen and one small basket of toys.

I agree with a pp who suggested curtains int he cl;ost doors. Maybe also get some (cheap) new neutral bed linens and the shower curtain.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page