simplified laundry - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the never-ending laundry battle, I caved and decided I need to just do laundry every day- 1 load in the evening seems to do the trick, and everything is dumped together in cold. And surprisingly, it's made life so much simpler and easier- I don't have to keep tabs on when laundry is piling up or when to do it or stress that I may run out of clean napkins; I'm discovering we don't need nearly so many clothes and towels since whatever we use is fresh the next morning. Suddenly, there's no need for a drawer full of socks- 3 pairs will do. 1 pair of jeans will do. 1 towel per person will do. And less things means less clutter, more space, and easier dressing choices in the morning. Sure, things will wear down quicker, but more fun to replace just one item more frequently than have a closet full of half-worn-down stuff.
yay for a simple discovery!

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#2 of 18 Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM

I made this discovery a few months ago when we moved our washer and dryer to a more convenient location and it has been fabulous.

The first time I had all of the laundry done at once, I ran out of closet and drawer space and said "Holy crap, this is ridiculous!" and went on a purging rampage.

DH and I each have a set number of hangers in our closets and a rule that if we buy a new article of clothing, we have to get rid of one too.

I usually have to do more than one load per day because we don't use paper products, we CD and have white slipcovers on our furniture, but it's so much nicer than devoting an entire day or two per week/month to laundry, and it's great to have so much less clutter in the bedroom.
#3 of 18 Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM

I made this same discovery!! And the funny thing is I WAS doing laundry almost every day, yet I still struggled with it backing up. For some reason it must have been the sorting that was causing problems. Now I just throw one load in a day, everything together. Well, except for kitchen laundry. I still separate that out and wash once or twice a week by itself. And crazily, the laundry now stays caught up!!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#4 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

we have been doing our laundry this way for some time, and it does make things a lot easier, for certain.

also, our laundry is in our bathroom, so when we take off dirty clothes, it goes right into the washer, and usually it's full the second or third day, so we do a load and that's that! easy done.
#5 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 AM

I was always made fun of growing up for doing my laundry all mixed together on cold... now I'm definitely glad I do! Trying to make full loads of the separated colors was just too stressful when I was 11 and started my own laundry... it certainly hasn't changed!

I also don't have laundry baskets in the bedrooms... just one in a closet centerally located plus another in the mudroom by the machines just in case I get backed up (and the wetbag for the bathroom/family cloth) so I can just do a load when the basket is full as it being full (but not stuffed down full) is the perfect amount for my machine. When it is full, I do a load... since we rewear things a lot and don't shower daily, I sometimes don't have to do laundry every day!
#6 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM

What about whites? I wash them by themselves and still struggle with keeping them white. How does it work out in this system?

Married to DH since 2006.  Adoptive mom to DD1 (June 2002), DS (Jan 2006), and bio mom to DD2 (May 2009).

#7 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't sorted laundry for years! The closest to sorting I do is towels and sheets together so no fuzz gets on clothes. Because I'm only doing one load every day or so it's easy to get it straight from the dryer and fold/ hang it up.
#8 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH View Post
What about whites? I wash them by themselves and still struggle with keeping them white. How does it work out in this system?
my whites are all brown

I should add, though, that I don't use any toxic nasties in the laundry, absolutely no matter what, so it doesn't matter how I wash white things. we're farmers so keeping things nice doesn't really make sense at our house

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#9 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm still working on simplifying. We tend to have more than one load a day and i think it's because so much laundry doesn't make it to the drawers/closets and ends up back at the bottom of the stairs due to dog hair/confusion as to whether or not it is clean. We could save so much money and energy if we just downsized so that we could fit everything where it belongs.

We just scored a beautiful hardwood dresser for $10 at a moving sale so now everyone has their own. I'm hoping I can soon switch to a system that works!

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#10 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
my whites aren't stunning bright whites, but they aren't as grey as I've seen others whites to be. I don't know what it is I do though. I just wash everything on cold with a detergent with as few extras as possible (cloth diaper detergent ftw) and dry on low or in the sun. Maybe its the water? Mine isn't really hard.. I DO often use calgon though.

I DO separate when I get something new that will probably bleed.. first couple washes jeans and reds get separated, but after that it is a free for all.
#11 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#12 of 18 Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I try to do a load every morning. I still separate though. We have a 3-way divided laundry hamper & sort into that. In the morning I throw in whichever one is the fullest.

As for whites - well, it doesn't seem to matter what I do my whites don't stay white - even when I use bleach so I'm not sure the trick to it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#13 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't separate either, never have (much to my mother's dismay).

I have one basket in the boys' room (though DS2 still sleeps with me), one basket in the girls' room, a divided hamper in our room for our clothes and for linens/towels, and a basket in the kitchen for dish towels, napkins & dishcloths. And the diaper pail, of course. For me it's easier to just separate by room. DS1 (almost 6) and DD1 (4) put away their own laundry. I let go of having everything put away neatly folded in favor of having less for me to put away myself.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#14 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 AM

I always separate most of the laundry, not sure I could mix delicates with other things, or they would all fall apart in two minutes, and my daughters have a lot of delicate tops, cardigans and skirts/dresses which I can't afford to replace, also for example the black stockings can't be washed with DS's expensive white school shirts or I would be paying for more!

I have done one change recently though which is washing the sheets with the towels and kitchen cloths, something I never used to do, but it seems to be fine.

SAHM to three
#15 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM

I've simplified in the opposite way: I now have an old-fashioned "wash day" and only do laundry once a week. I love it!
#16 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minta View Post
I've simplified in the opposite way: I now have an old-fashioned "wash day" and only do laundry once a week. I love it!

We don't have a machine, but when I used to do laundry by hand I would do it daily. I have to say that most of the time I left things on the line till the next day and then just dumped the clean clothes in a hamper and didn't put them away. I really didn't need another daily chore. I think this would be the case even if I had a machine: I'd just forget that I have wet clothes in the washer.

I like being able to do the laundry and have it be done until next week.

The way I'm simplifying laundry is being ruthless with decluttering the clothes that we have and making sure that I get all the laundry done every Monday.
#17 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM

I've been doing this for a while and love it! After about 6 weeks dh complained that his undershirts won't so white so I pulled them out and washed them, his white undies and his white socks together with some bleach.

I wash our towels together with the family cloth. The cleaning rags are washed separately, too. I don't really sort, though, because the family cloth is kept in its own pails and the cleaning rags are kept under the kitchen sink.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#18 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Shout makes a product called Color Catcher & they actually work. If I remember to buy them, I throw one in a mixed load of laundry. The sheet absorbs the bleeding colors & helps keep things whiter. You are only supposed to use them once, but I use them about 4 times or so per sheet.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page