Housekeeping support! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I managed to get in some laundry today and put some beans to soak, but my baby's been a total clingermonkey lately so it's been tough to get a lot done...

ETA... We had a garage sale this weekend and were able to ditch a whole lot of stuff so at least there's that

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 98 Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=OkiMom;15834030]Sara- I always say Im going to stock up on non-parishables in my last month for after the baby is born and I never do. Did you get your stocking trip done?

Sorry, OkiMom - I didn't see this until now! I haven't been 'keeping up' w/ my few threads here at MDC lately.

We did get down to th states that weekend - went to church where we got married and did our stocking-up. A lot will probably go to feeding the freezer for post-baby, though...I'm headed down to visit my family next week, and DH will follow nine days later, so we'll bring back a little more then.

The week's been a little 'off;, as LO is teething and needing more one-on-one attention. Company for supper tomorrow, so a good chunk of tidying to happen, MW appt tomorrow morning and I have to take transit, which will take a bit longer, and DH is outof town on a work trip tonight...but we'll make it all work!

Enchiladas for supper tomorrow...I have some leftover chicken, and will be thorwing some more chicken pieces in the oven after 9:00 tonight (when elec. costs are lowest). If I feel really motivated, I might make up the filling, too....but I think if I have that energy, I'll put it towards tidying/cleaning tasks. Am making two big pans; that should make enough for a meal or two for DH and DS14 while I'm gone, as well as a meal or two worth for post-baby.

I may get some 'extra' time tonight - LO has asked for 'night-nights' a couple times now, but I want to hold out another 30 min, at least, so he's not ready to take on the day 4 in the morning tomorrow!
#93 of 98 Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Joining in here. My house has gotten seriously out of control lately. My dd's have been sick with a nasty virus and wanted lots of Mama love and I haven't gotten much of anything done this past week. Here's my to do list:

fold and put away laundry (two massive piles) -DONE!!
clean hamster cage -DONE!!
pick up living/dining room -DONE!!
vacuum -DONE!!
clean out fridge
clear off kitchen counters -DONE!!
load dishwasher -DONE!!
put away printed out recipes
change sheets on all beds and wash -1/3 DONE!!
clean out car -DONE!!

I'm being ambitious and hoping I can get most of this done today, starting with the car in a few minutes if I can keep dd2 entertained.
#94 of 98 Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Joining in.

I need the accountability to go into the Room of Doom.

Also must get laundry done today.
#95 of 98 Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 AM

okay ladies.....for those interested in my 1947 good housekeeping manual's weekly cleaning schedule, here the book's overview. there are sections within this for each day's jobs, but this could get very lengthy. i'm happy to copy those in additional posts if anyone is actually interested.....otherwise i'll save my fingers.

i'm copying this verbatim, so if things seem a bit 'outdated', well, they are. but this schedule WORKS......with a few tweaks for your own lifestyle.

monday.....
spend most of your time looking ahead for the week. put your household back into the groove after the weekend break in routine. check up on your staple supplies and plan meals for tuesday, wednesday and thursday. use all the time you need for marketing for these days and for putting food away. wash and trim fresh vegetables and put them in the refrigerator ready for use. clean kitchen thoroughly.

i follow this one to a 'T'......i love grocery shopping twice a week (see friday), and my kitchen is always clean and ready to be used.

tuesday.....
tuesday is the day for doing the major part of the laundry; that is, the clothing such as men's shirts, children's dresses, aprons, house dresses, etc. table cloths and napkins also should be included. leave sheets, pillowcases, bath towels, knitted underwear, etc., which need little to no ironing, for thursday. try to iron the clothes you wash so that the entire job is over and done with in one day.

i follow this one to a 'T'.....although in my household of school uniforms, sports uniforms, etc. i can't relegate laundry to just once a week. i tend to also do odd loads on thursdays with my bedding/towels and also on sundays if things are needed.

wednesday.....
make wednesday the day for thorough cleaning of the bedrooms and bathrooms. use the early part of the afternoon for the cleaning of silver or other metals.

this one i follow almost to a 'T'.......i have no silver to polish.

thursday.....
thursday is a good day for changing the beds. if guests are coming for the weekend, make up the guest room too. take sheets, bath towels, underwear, and anything that needs little to no ironing to the laundry and wash them. while those pieces are drying, clean the living room thoroughly. use the early part of the afternoon for any ironing and putting away the laundry you washed in the morning.

this one i follow to a 'T'........i usually have a small load of regular clothing to add to this as well.

friday.....
immediately after breakfast, defrost and clean refrigerator. plan meals for friday saturday and sunday....making provisions for monday as well. do the marketing and put away the food. give the dining room a thorough cleaning.

i follow this one almost to a 'T'......i clean out the fridge on mondays with the kitchen so i skip that, but i do grocery shop on friday mornings and find that only having to meal plan a few days at a time really helps our food budget.

saturday.....
after a week well spent, saturday should be fairly free. use it for relaxing with the family, for picnicking, for special baking, or anything you wish.

note: sunday is not included on this schedule as i believe it was still considered a day of rest back then. but i use the same guidelines as saturday.

well, that's basically it in a nutshell. i'm happy to also include each day's more specific 'jobs' if you'd like. there's a section for each room of the house and what daily cleaning should include, as well as those jobs for the weekly cleaning list above, etc.

ETA: if anyone is at all interested in purchasing this book (i LOVE vintage 'house' books), i picked it up on amazon for SUPER cheap. you can find more here. The Good Housekeeping; Housekeeping Book

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#96 of 98 Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM

vm - thanks for sharing! that is fun to see - I like "knitted underwear" - wonder what that might be. I am going to take a look at the book, it might be a good companion to my old Joy of Cooking.

Today I got most of my very modest list done, but I think I have a few MM chores I didn`t get to, and since it is not 11:20pm, I don`t think them very likely to get done.

Therefore, tomorrow:
work away from home morning and after dinner
catch up on missed MM chores
try to get the two front rooms arranged a little better so there is somewhere for the people coming over on thursday to do stuff in the garden to go in case it rains
#97 of 98 Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 PM

grocery shopped
dropped off CFL's at the hardware store for recycling
went to the dump/dropped off recycling
picked up my inter-library loan book
went to the bank
did a load of dishes
had the kids clean their room, then I vaccuumed
left some buttermilk out to make a culture so I can make cheese on Tuesday

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#98 of 98 Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Ive been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately. Ive been trying to spend extra time with the girls (my oldest is getting really clingy fussy tantruming the last week or so) and the house is not as clean as Id like. I just keep telling myself at least the clothes are clean and the dishes done.. DH returns tomorrow so Id like to be able to get a few things done before that.. I need to:
Mop kitchen, living room, dining room
Sweep/mop girls room
clean play room
sweep/mop playroom

sweep/mop master bedroom
clean both baths
sweep/mop both baths.
clean/sweep/mop hallway

Work on homeschool plans since I told DH Id have through January done before he gets home.. I haven't even started, yea Im a slacker.
I have the patterns for the dresses for the girls traced now I need to cut the fabric out (yea, the fabric is finally ironed too). I haven't done much sewing lately and DH has been asking me when I plan to start again.
Make Christmas/birthday idea lists.
Make to-do list for before the baby comes times two one if we do move and one if we don't.
Make a to get list for the baby
make a to make list for the baby...
Add on: Wash master bedroom linens. My baby exploded out of her diaper last night so it needs to get done ASAP. Luckily I didn't have anything in the wash.
Drop off the stuff to the thrift store since its on the way (was going to wait till Saturday but I figure if I wait it won't get done) The drop off hours kind of stink so I won't be able to do it today. They will be closed when I go by and I need our limited trunk space for DH's luggage so doing it on the way back isn't going to work.
Stop by the PX and manage to pick up a shirt with a monkey on it for my youngest without her seeing. DH forgot to pick her up anything in Guam and now he feels bad so he wants me to try..
Get Gas
Clean out car
And DH returns tomorrow at around 1430, the airport is at least an hour away, longer if I dont' take the expressway... I say maybe half will get done.. half wont.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page