Storing DVDs ??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a million DVDs from movies, stand up comics and lots of tv series (mainly my Friends series). The boxes take up sooo much room on our hallway bookshelf that there's no room for our books.

I'm looking for alternate ways to store the dvds that will be easy to use, and won't encourage my already lazy husband to leave them lying around more than he already does. =)

I was thinking about the soft cd/dvd cases but if I get small ones that can be 'labeled' and organized, but won't stack or stand up in shelves. If I get the bigger ones or the ones that come in like boxes (at Target), it will be harder to find the place it goes...

Basically, I'm lost and need help!

Angie (mom)
Hayden (baby) 6/13/09
#2 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Subbing!

SAHM to three
#3 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Back in our DVD-collecting days, DH and I got some CD cases - nylon exterior, binder style with zippers and plastic sleeves that hold 3 on each side. We had one for DH's crud *ahem*, I mean, movies...and one for mine. Now of course I wish I had not done it since I would like to just get rid of vast majority of the movies, but at least we went from tons of cardboard and plastic cases all over the place to 2 binders, and they are easy to travel with/move with, too!

Good luck!
#4 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

man, i hate dvds and cds. i have never really been into collecting them, and i'm so thankful for the ipod technological development. so much happiness.

my husband, not so much. he loves the 'stuffness" of the cases, liner notes, and cover art. he would NEVER part with such things. And i grant you, we do nt have many DVDs, but i hate hate hate hate the darn things! LOL

i would like to put ours in those soft covers--i've been trying to for years. in fact, i was having my friend make some for me that were exactly what i wanted, even large enough to store the cover art on one side and the CD/DVD on the other, with lovely reclaimed fabrics and such. but NO, dh would not have it.

so, i just had a dedicated shelf area for those ugly things.
#5 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

oh, and my friend makes her own covers in fabrics that she loves, and then keeps them in a basket by the TV. they are labelled clearly, so you know what is where, and then it's alphabetical inside (she does it by owner, by topic/genre, and then alphabetical). the basket looks like it's full of little pillows! lol it's cute though. wish i had a picture.
#6 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post
Back in our DVD-collecting days, DH and I got some CD cases - nylon exterior, binder style with zippers and plastic sleeves that hold 3 on each side. We had one for DH's crud *ahem*, I mean, movies...and one for mine. Now of course I wish I had not done it since I would like to just get rid of vast majority of the movies, but at least we went from tons of cardboard and plastic cases all over the place to 2 binders, and they are easy to travel with/move with, too!

Good luck!
We have this system for the children's CDs. If you have a lot, you could try sorting alphabetically according to title. (I know, it sounds nuts at first but it does help.) And maybe a little surge before sorting wouldn't hurt either?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#7 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Andrea, we also alphabetize A bit labor-intensive in the beginning, but it makes it so easy to retrieve, doesn't it?!
#8 of 9 Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM

I have a home theater system and I use a swivel unit....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KW0B88?...ACH8ZMZK0YTT6Q

You can get one that holds up to a 1000 dvds. The one that I have holds about 400. It just takes up a corner. It also helps me with clutter because when it is full, which it almost is, then I will have to sell or donate ones to make room for new movies.

Now when we move to our next house we will have a theater wall that will hold our collection. It will look something like what Cameron Diaz's house had in the movie The Holiday.
#9 of 9 Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We recently threw out all the cases & put the dvd's into a binder style holder. I suppose in theory it is a bit more cumbersome to put the movies away but they take up sooooo much less space. I didn't bother alphabetizing - we don't have that many & I don't want to have to move everything around if we get a new one.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page