Organizing Ideas for Family Traditions / Holidays - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's your system for organizing ideas for the holidays and traditions that you have in your family?

We're just getting started in this area and I was thinking of breaking down what we'll celebrate into seasons. I have recipes, ideas ripped out from magazines and some stuff printed from online that I'd like to somehow organize. Maybe I'm over analyzing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Um what system?

Actually the only one we celebrate is Christmas, and DH has always been a rather reluctant participant in the Christmas festivities, so we even tend to downplay that.

SAHM to three
#3 of 4 Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Oooh - I LOVE your idea of organizing ideas for each holiday!!

You could go the route of a binder with dividers...or something a little more fun:

I would create a scrapbook or photo book from Shutterfly/Snapfish/etc. - I would include a few pages from each notable holiday from our family. Include the main recipes (and photos of them on the same page...then maybe even a picture or two of the family joining together at the table eating the meals

I would include some journaling about how the traditions got started, the kiddos' fave things to do, pictures of the house decorated, etc.

The best part of the photo book you can make online is that even as a hardback, they take up such little space (MUCH less than any traditional scrapbooks I have ever made), and you can save them and print out extras for when your children are adults - such a great memory for them and their future families
#4 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmybrood View Post
Oooh - I LOVE your idea of organizing ideas for each holiday!!

You could go the route of a binder with dividers...or something a little more fun:

I would create a scrapbook or photo book from Shutterfly/Snapfish/etc. - I would include a few pages from each notable holiday from our family. Include the main recipes (and photos of them on the same page...then maybe even a picture or two of the family joining together at the table eating the meals

I would include some journaling about how the traditions got started, the kiddos' fave things to do, pictures of the house decorated, etc.

The best part of the photo book you can make online is that even as a hardback, they take up such little space (MUCH less than any traditional scrapbooks I have ever made), and you can save them and print out extras for when your children are adults - such a great memory for them and their future families
Great ideas, only we really don't have anything that we do consistently yet. Christmas, Valentines, Thanksgiving are the only holidays we've really celebrated, but it's always been adult centered. Now that our boy is getting older and our family is growing I'd like to start doing some fun things, and maybe even celebrating a few more holidays.

Maybe a binder would work...with main sections autumn, winter, spring, summer, and then a couple of the holidays we we want to celebrate within those sections with recipes to try or crafts and what not. This is something that will have to evolve with us over time.

I was thinking how organized some people seem to be with xmas and was wondering if the same approach was taken for other holidays.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page