What are the basic items to make rooms feel homey? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fresh flowers, plants, candles, throw blankets and DD's artwork on the fridge.

I my little red lamp in the kitchen. I always have that on and a vanilla candle burning.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 AM

Great post! I am still struggling with this after being in my new home for a year. I just don't have that home decorating gene...my walls are mostly bare. As is my mantle. I don't have any ideas of what would go well together, and don't really have time to do shopping. (Plus, I'm cheap). At least I got some couch pillows and hung curtains in the dining room! But I think my house could be soooo much better...I will need to take up some of these suggestions. The lighting is a big one.
#33 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Loving this thread. I think the biggest thing is that the place be (relatively) clean and uncluttered. I hate my home when it's a mess, everything seems cheap and I can't get anything done or relax. When it's neat, I love my home, it seems like such a great place to be and I can think clearly. We are so busy, it's such a struggle to keep it clean, but when we succeed it's wonderful.

I like soft yellow light, the kind that old light bulbs have- I was so excited when I found CFL's that came in yellow light instead of that cold white! We don't have a light over our stove, but I attached a string of Christmas lights to the bottom of our kitchen cabinets, to provide extra light, but it's also really pleasant in the evening when the rest of the lights are off. You can't see them unless you are actively looking for them because I've placed them flush with the trim.

I love well chosen pictures of friends and family, easily accessible blankets, good books, framed art made by my husband or myself. I don't mind (a few) toys strewn across the floor as they remind me of my daughter, but really, just one or two. Real wood furniture is nice. I like less plastic out in my living space. We use plastic, it's useful, but while we use rubbermaid storage bins in our closets, I like to have natural baskets for my daughters toys.

I think that the empty spaces are just as important as those filled with things or art, there needs to be some empty surface for you to rest your eyes on. That's part of the needing things to be uncluttered- it's just more mentally restful.
#34 of 42 Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-man's Mama View Post
Great post! I am still struggling with this after being in my new home for a year. I just don't have that home decorating gene...my walls are mostly bare. As is my mantle. I don't have any ideas of what would go well together, and don't really have time to do shopping. (Plus, I'm cheap). At least I got some couch pillows and hung curtains in the dining room! But I think my house could be soooo much better...I will need to take up some of these suggestions. The lighting is a big one.
I've got something great (and free) going on on the mantle right now. We found some sticks fallen from the trees outside, and we put them in a clear glass vase (you could use a jar) with some shiny stones at the bottom (you can even used dried beans). It looks lovely and seasonal - a fall stick bouquet lol! Next to that we found a few smooth stones and stacked them - very zen. We also put 3-4 pine cones in a row, and then a small bowl of fall colored leaves. It looks peaceful and homey, and gotta love the nature .

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#35 of 42 Old 10-12-2010, 03:30 AM

I have thought about this thread here and there. When I look at pictures of homes for inspiration I often feel that they are just magazine homes or model homes. Pretty, nice and new , but not real lived in.

I came across this blog http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.co...mily-room.html

the other day and I realized that I really like mismatched furniture which is surprising since I am always feeling like my own stuff is a hodge podge of junk that doesn't match. I think I am going to embrace that because it feels homey. Dh's grandma gives us a bunch of stuff every time we go visit and I used to loathe it..but lately I have been saving some of it. Her bright colored hats hang on my bathroom wall. They are too fancy for my taste , but we have pictures of her dancing in them before her stroke. Grandpa gave us a dutch oven that belonged to his mother. It is over 85 years old. I am trying to find a way to put it on display in our house. We would only use it camping and we have another new one from Cabellas. I am craving stuff with history. It is still fun if you don't know the history of a item..you can try to imagine what stories it would tell.
#36 of 42 Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Framed pictures and art on the walls, throw blankets, candles, decorative clocks. I'm not a plant or nick nack person, I prefer bare horizontal spaces that are easy to clean Except during the holidays when I go a little crazy, lol.

I recently saw this and thought it would be a great way to get some color on the walls that you could easily change up on a whim, or to match holiday decorations.
#37 of 42 Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quilts made by my husbands great grandmother and mine.

Our old hardwood floors with all their dings and dents.

Knowing that our home built in 1904 has standing throughout a hundred years of history. The women before me who cooked, canned, sewed, knitted, rocked, raised babies in this house just like Im doing.

Soft lighting in the corners of the room.

A huge oak kitchen table that seats 10 which means I can fill my kitchen with friends and family.

Soft earthy tones of paint on the walls.

Knowing we have a pantry full of food and a freezer full too.

The smell of clean laundry, folded neatly.

Sheets, hung out on the line with their sunshine smell, when I climb in bed at night.
#38 of 42 Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post

The smell of clean laundry, folded neatly.

Sheets, hung out on the line with their sunshine smell, when I climb in bed at night.
This is so sweet. I don't know why, but it warmed my heart when I read it. It just made me feel like you are a good mom.

#39 of 42 Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
This is so sweet. I don't know why, but it warmed my heart when I read it. It just made me feel like you are a good mom.
Thank you. I do my best, but always have room for improvement like everyone does. Thank goodness for places like MDC so moms have a safe haven to learn and grow.
#40 of 42 Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 AM

Most important things for me are art on the walls and a few beautiful pieces of glass that I love. I like to keep most surfaces clear but I feel like bare walls are too sterile.

It's complicated.
#41 of 42 Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Haven't read replies, but I've been thinking about this alot lately...I don't really have a problem maintaining a pretty minimalistic house, but until recently, have lacked the ability to be creative enough to make it homey (I believe, due to the fact that I had been using all my creative energy being pregnant and nursing babies! ).

This is my plan for the living room:
perfect paint color
throw blanket on the couch
curtains
pictures on the wall in frames that fit well in the space
plants
homemade braided rug
seasonal nature items on the mantle
#42 of 42 Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post

This is my plan for the living room:
perfect paint color
throw blanket on the couch
curtains
pictures on the wall in frames that fit well in the space
plants
homemade braided rug
seasonal nature items on the mantle
This sounds like a great plan! Each element is my style. Love the braided rug idea, I want to make one of those. Very simple, easy, warm, and cozy.

Of course, all the warm mother-y vibes you're sending off while you nursing those babies/being pregnant probably make your home all cozy anyway

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page